PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 options

pilotguyo540
12-24-10, 13:35
I have been using the google search function and I have not really found what I am looking for.

I am gearing up to (finally) purchase my first M&P 9. You guys have been great in steering my in the right direction. I should say that this will be my first modern auto handgun. My only other auto loader was made in 1953:eek:

I am wanting to know what features to avoid (like a mag safety, etc.) and what must have's you cant live without.

variablebinary
12-24-10, 13:44
I have been using the google search function and I have not really found what I am looking for.

I am gearing up to (finally) purchase my first M&P 9. You guys have been great in steering my in the right direction. I should say that this will be my first modern auto handgun. My only other auto loader was made in 1953:eek:

I am wanting to know what features to avoid (like a mag safety, etc.) and what must have's you cant live without.

This really depends on you and what you are accustomed to.

About the only thing I personally would avoid is the magazine disconnect, which prevents the weapon from firing when the magazine is removed.

Currently I am rolling with a stock M&P9, no safety lever or mods.

Like I said though, its all on you.

dvdlpzus
12-24-10, 13:49
Apex parts are a must for consistent, smooth trigger pull. Specially the hard sear and usb. Mine has the thumb safety which I use for carry. I don't like anything with mag safety. G&R has great prices so I would recommend buying from him.

pilotguyo540
12-24-10, 14:00
Thanks guys.

What i am used to is a thumb safety and a single action trigger.

I had Grant in mind. If I could pick it up from his shop, I would totally do it in a heart beat. I dont live in Ohio though, so I will shop local. If the transfer fee is less than the difference, I will go Grant.

Beat Trash
12-24-10, 14:03
I have been carrying an issued fs M&P 9 since they started producing them. The first batches were shipped to fulfill my agencies transition to the M&P.

My issued gun has a magazine safety. I could do without it, but if you find a deal on one with the magazine safety, it's not that much of an issue as far as I'm concerned. (My agency has had 3 documented officer's saved due to mag disconnect safeties, so they are mandated on our guns.) It's fairly easy to remove the magazine safety from the M&P.

Other than that, it's really just personal preference.

If you come from a background of single action semiauto's, such as the 1911, then you might want the external safety lever. If you don't then you might not want one.

Many people insist on installing Apex parts. My M&P's had some "attention" given to the triggers. I am happy with them. The newly produced guns are supposed to have better triggers and reset. I have only shot one of the newly produced guns, a fs 357 sig. It had a really nice trigger for a new gun, and a more pronounced trigger reset.

Before adding aftermarket parts, I'd take the gun out and shoot it extensively. See what you think of the trigger. You can always have an Apex kit installed after you have shot the gun a bit.

The factory sights are ok. Much better than the factory sights on the Glock. Any changes from there are personal preference. Once again, it depends on your preferences.

The main issue I have with the M&P is that the texturing on the grip is a joke. I spend a few minutes on the removable grip, stippling it with a soldering iron. If you screw this up, it's not that big of a deal, they're cheap. By stippling the back strap, I get enough purchase on the gun to where I don't personally find the need to have the frame itself stippled. If some do, more power to them...

The best thing about the M&P series in my opinion is they are good to go as they come out of the box. While some guns could benefit from some attention to the trigger or the addition of an Apex kit, the original gun is still serviceable.

pilotguyo540
12-24-10, 14:09
Quick question.

What is the internal lock?

MichaelD
12-24-10, 14:18
The internal lock is just that: an internal lock which locks up the mechanism with a key so the owner of the gun can limit access to the weapon. It's generally considered an unneeded feature which could potentially cause the weapon to fail when it's needed most.

The part numbers I'd look for when buying a full-size M&P9 are 209301 (17 round mags, no manual safety, no internal lock, no magazine safety) or 206301 (17 round mags, ambidextrous manual safety, no internal lock, no magazine safety).

Rockhousejj
12-24-10, 14:39
i have a m&p 9 breast cancer one it has many differ grips a true glow sight on it from factor it is my wifes but she want a compact now but its been shot very little and its a great weapon best felling pistol ive ever held shoots great and really like it but she wants that compact so

300WM
12-24-10, 14:40
The internal lock is just that: an internal lock which locks up the mechanism with a key so the owner of the gun can limit access to the weapon. It's generally considered an unneeded feature which could potentially cause the weapon to fail when it's needed most.

Good ol' Clinton.

dvdlpzus
12-24-10, 14:46
The part numbers I'd look for when buying a full-size M&P9 are 209301 (17 round mags, no manual safety, no internal lock, no magazine safety) or 206301 (17 round mags, ambidextrous manual safety, no internal lock, no magazine safety).

+1. The trigger on the M&P is very similar to SA. In fact, many places will sell it as SA. The trigger safety does need about 50-100 rounds to get used to. At least that is my experience.

pilotguyo540
12-24-10, 15:21
i have a m&p 9 breast cancer one it has many differ grips a true glow sight on it from factor it is my wifes but she want a compact now but its been shot very little and its a great weapon best felling pistol ive ever held shoots great and really like it but she wants that compact so

PM sent

Seraph
12-24-10, 20:10
Thanks guys.

What i am used to is a thumb safety and a single action trigger.

I had Grant in mind. If I could pick it up from his shop, I would totally do it in a heart beat. I dont live in Ohio though, so I will shop local. If the transfer fee is less than the difference, I will go Grant.

I can highly recommend a fully APEX'ed M&P 9 w/ thumb safety from Grant.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/MP_OD_02_web.jpg

noops
12-24-10, 20:36
Another rec for Grant. If you do the apex treatment, he's good to go.

ConditionYellow45
12-24-10, 22:39
Apex DCAEK, Apex RAM, Stippling (to your preference), Sights (your preference).

I also got my feed ramp polished.

When this is all said and done....BEST handgun I own. I LOVE IT.

pilotguyo540
12-24-10, 23:31
Apex DCAEK, Apex RAM, Stippling (to your preference), Sights (your preference).

I also got my feed ramp polished.

When this is all said and done....BEST handgun I own. I LOVE IT.

I seriously have no idea what you said, but it sounds dirty!:sarcastic:

I have seen these options listed on Grants site, but I don't know what's what. Sorry for these ridiculous questions, but I know there is someone out there too scared to ask :p

redfernsoljah
12-24-10, 23:41
Here is the break down per apex tactical's information.

-- The APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) was designed to provide the M&P (9 mm, .357 Sig & .40 only) pistol owner a smooth, consistent 5 - 5.5 lb trigger pull with the advantages of shorter over-travel and reduced reset. The kit includes:

* APEX Hard Sear (9 mm, .357 Sig & .40 series) - NOT FOR .45 ACP * APEX M&P Ultimate Striker Block Kit (USB kit)
* APEX M&P Increased Rate Sear Spring** (very small) & Trigger Return Spring

This should give you the trigger that has been mentioned you can also have grant polish things up a bit to make it even smoother.

Add ons to this are the APEX RAM
--The Apex Reset Assist Mechanism (Patent Pending) is a drop in part engineered to improve tactile trigger reset of your M&P pistol. Along with improving the felt reset, the Apex RAM also serves as a failsafe in the unlikely event of a Trigger Return Spring breakage; keeping the trigger bar properly positioned under the sear and allowing the user to manually manipulate the trigger forward between shots.

sights are a matter of personal preference.. I am sure other may have many things to add to this.. Good Luck