PDA

View Full Version : Holster ?'s

chilic82
12-25-10, 11:59
Do you guys prefer holsters open or closed at the muzzle end? Do you prefer push button/latch retention or standard holster retention systems?Why do you prefer the system you use?

Alpha Sierra
12-25-10, 13:03
I don't care if the holster is open or closed as long as it cover the barrel/slide 100%. I can't stand the muzzle digging into me, since I carry IWB about 99% of the time.

No retention devices other than friction are allowed in any holster I own. They are an unnecessary complication for a non-police citizen that carries concealed.

Irish10
12-25-10, 13:53
Open and no retention. Closed as it rains constantly here in the Pac Northwest and no retention as things will be complicated enough if you need to draw your weapon.

Avenger29
12-25-10, 16:10
Just about all of my holsters are open at the bottom. Just the way they come, and I like it that way.

I don't own a retention holster. Yet. But most of my holsters are IWB CCW holsters. I am going to buy a nice Safariland OWB rig with a retention devie for carrying a pistol around on my property- I'm often jumping up and down off the tractor, going through the woods, etc, and I'd feel more secure with a holster with retention. I prefer no retention device when CCWing.

mariodsantana
12-25-10, 17:56
I don't care if the holster is open or closed as long as it cover the barrel/slide 100%. I can't stand the muzzle digging into me, since I carry IWB about 99% of the time.

I'll second this, though for a different reason. My main carry rig is IWB with the muzzle uncovered. This is fine, until I shoot a lot, and then the hot muzzle can be very uncomfortable. If I weren't about to switch platforms altogether, I'd be buying a new holster ASAP - one which covers the barrel/slide 100%.

CLHC
12-25-10, 18:13
OT/OB on my current carry condition. Hope you find what you're looking for!

skyugo
12-25-10, 18:58
i like full coverage and no retention.

if you're new to CCW, get a big file box or something (like 12x24 at least) and write "holsters" on the side. you'll see why soon enough. :D

ehcarl2983
12-25-10, 19:27
Nevermind....

Gadfly
12-25-10, 20:01
I don't care if it is open or closed on bottom, as long as it cover the gun completely.

As far as retention, I feel some form of retention is preferred. But, I am in law enforcement. I have carried open top rigs with friction retention in the past. But since then, I have run, jumped, climbed over fences, and wrestled with a gun on. I feel much more piece of mind with some form of retention. Passive retention preferably. With a thumb break or such, you must actively secure your pistol, something that could slip your mind with an adrenal dump. A Blackhawk Serpa, Safariland ALS, or my current carry, a Bianchi Auto Lock allow you to simply holster, and be secure. Off duty, on occasion, I carry a Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB. But on the clock, I will only carry with some type of retention.

I know people here seem overwhelmingly for open top carry for whatever their needs might be. I have found I run, struggle and move around far more than I shoot (...never have had to shoot anyone thank God, although a couple have come VERY close)... Even a civilian CCW holder has a much greater chance of "vigorous movment" (running away, slipping on the snow or mud, getting knocked down, etc) that actually having to shoot. Carry open top if you are comfortable with it, but make sure it is secure. Ask yourself, "can I do 10 jumping jacks, or two somersaults and still have my gun in the holster?" If you can say yes, then it is probably a good holster for you.

Just my opinions and observations... Your circumstances will dictate what works best for your size, body type, clothing preference, local climate, etc.

Hope this has helped...

Gadfly
12-25-10, 20:08
i like full coverage and no retention.

if you're new to CCW, get a big file box or something (like 12x24 at least) and write "holsters" on the side. you'll see why soon enough. :D

As he said, try to borrow a couple of holsters and see how they fit before you buy. Wear it for a day or two if possible, while moving, driving, sitting, napping.... Range wear is far different form day to day carry.

Skyugo, myself, and most others go through about a dozen holsters looking for "the ONE"...