PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Light Mount Options....

El Pistolero
12-26-10, 04:52
Hey all,

I've been thinking of putting a light on my home defense gun and I've been looking at what options there are for a solid, legit light (no Maglite and universal mount) for my 20" Mossberg 590 (basically the A1 model but without the heavy barrel and metal parts).

I've looked at the SureFire forends and they are pricey but they look the most ergonomic and easiest to use. Another option I've been looking at is the Laserlyte Tri-Rail mount and a weapon light of some sort (a floody one for shotgun distances, maybe a TLR-1).

I would prefer the SureFire forend, if anybody has any experience with the SureFire shotgun forend light please chime in, I'd like to hear about it. I'm open to other light mounting options as well.

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6928&stc=1&d=1293360760

m24shooter
12-26-10, 09:09
I use the SF weaponlight on my SBS. They are very nice. The do cost a lot more than other rigs, but they work and have a few options/features that don't come with other lights.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/590A1%20SBS/sbshogue.jpg

It is nice to have the forend and light as one unit, with no cords. The built in switches help out with light manipulation and if you get one of the versions with the master on/off that can help with making sure the light doesn't kill the battery because it was up against something in a vehicle. The constant on is meh, but I've used it a few times. With the included switch blocker you can mask off parts of the pressure tape switch.
The Tri-rail you mention is one way several of the guys on SGW run lights, particularly the TLR1. It has the happy coincidence of lining up with the heatsheild screws for some people that use that. I believe CDM Gear has a clamp/light mount that will work as well. My problem with the clamp on light rigs is that you may be extending your thumb or finger more than you're comfortable with to activate the light, and you definitely don't want to have one of the phone cord switches dangling around.
The SF and Ergo forend rail replacements are good, and will allow you to approximate a weaponlight with a TLR or some other similar type light.

terrymo
12-26-10, 10:28
On a previous 870 I had the tri-rail with a surefire x200. I use the surefire dedicated weapon light on my current 870. I find the controls of the surefire 618lfg forend easier to find and activate on a pump shotgun under stress. I use a malkoff led drop in replacement head in the weapon light.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/DSC01600.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/DSC01598-1.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-26-10, 13:02
I'm also a big fan of the Surefire integrated unit. If you read through the shotgun light threads here, I think you will find a common theme.

A lot of people express concern about the cost of the Surefire unit, and they experiment with several different mount/light combos.

They end up either breaking the light, or the mount and light part company, or experience some other issue. That's if they actually go out and shoot the bloody thing, instead of just leaning it in a corner of their bedroom closet.

So they ultimately end up buying the Surefire unit. After they wasted money on other units.

There are cases where you can reasonably save money. A good shotgun light combo does not really seem to be one of those cases. It's pretty much a "buy once, cry once" scenario.

Good luck to you, and stay safe.

acjones20
12-26-10, 13:33
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1510/dscn0866s.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/dscn0866s.jpg/)

835 w/ 590a1 barrel, CDM gear aluminum mount, TLR-1 and a little forearm trimming w/ dremel. It's a great setup!

El Pistolero
12-26-10, 14:47
Looks like I'll go with the SureFire forend then, thanks all.

reccerecon
12-26-10, 16:43
You can find used one cheap, check EE. I saw some on barfcom awhile back, but that's another story.

sonrider657
12-27-10, 13:17
I'll go against the grain and say that I find the Surefire fore ends to be very uncomfortable (painfully so under recoil) and it is too easy to accidentally hit the pressure pad.

Here (http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/12/16/elzetta-zsm-shotgun-light-mount/) is a new option that looks promising.

reccerecon
12-27-10, 13:35
That might be better suited for a semi auto. Locating the on button each time you cycle the actions could be problematic in a high stress situation. As much as I like my Surefire, I do agree they can be painful, especially with slugs.

m24shooter
12-27-10, 15:28
I know there are people that have the light slap them but I've never had that issue. The older lights had a security strap with a small pad at the front to prevent that. I think it is more of an issue with people that run the Knoxx stocks because of the travel.
The switch can be blocked with the included switch blocker to cu down on the inadvertent activations. I put one on and it helps a lot.

m24shooter
12-27-10, 15:29
I know there are people that have the light slap them but I've never had that issue. The older lights had a security strap with a small pad at the front to prevent that. I think it is more of an issue with people that run the Knoxx stocks because of the travel.
The switch can be blocked with the included switch blocker to cut down on the inadvertent activations. I put one on and it helps a lot.

Pain
12-27-10, 19:39
Tape. Black electrical tape works just as good as any mount, but it's next to nothing to apply.

Pathfinder Ops
03-22-11, 16:46
FWIW and this is a fact as of today!!!!!

Be VERY careful which SF forend you buy!

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE BOX/ LITERATURE SAYS- The SF Forend
http://www.surefire.com/LED-Momentar...itching-623LFG forend light DOES NOT FIT on a Mossberg 590 or 590A1 that has a bayonet lug.

I bought the exact item noted in the above link thinking that as it's advertised it would work. The website actually has an image of this item on a 590 with a bayonet lug.

AND IN FACT the Box even says for use with a M'berg 590/ 590A1.

So I'm thinking Giddy up! And I drop a shit load of coin at my favorite gunshop. I get home and go right to the work bench..... tah daahhh!!! its on there... And when I reassemble and stroke the action......thump!

The bezel of the light hits the back of the bayonet lug not allowing full (forward) travel of the forend. It stops approximately 1/4" short of complete cycle.....

WTF?! I sez...... :confused:

So I screw with it a bit and finally when I can't figure it out; I call Surefire. Ya know what they tell me?

"Oh yeah if your 591/ 590A1 has a bayonet lug you gotta either, buy the fore end that has the light with only one battery because it's shorter and won't strike the lug.":eek::eek:

OR (and this is a no shit moment folks)

The guy says: "take a Dremel tool and grind the lug off.":eek::eek::eek:

The gun shop where I bought it is over an hour away. So another round trip in my Excursion means that I will have now paid about $150 in fuel costs to either return it or exchange it.

Nowhere I have looked have I seen any language telling me that I needed to buy the light with one battery if I have a bayonet lug.

Don't ALL 590 & 590A1's have bayonet lugs?

NO I'M NOT HAPPY.................... I'm just sayin,,,,,,

IZinterrogator
03-22-11, 18:59
Nowhere I have looked have I seen any language telling me that I needed to buy the light with one battery if I have a bayonet lug.

NO I'M NOT HAPPY.................... I'm just sayin,,,,,,
From Surefire's website (underlining is mine):

The SureFire 623LFG replaces the original forend of your Mossberg 590 shotgun (with bayonet lug removed) or your Mossberg 500 with 7 ¾" forend tube. Reading is fundamental. The image is misleading (the forend is obviously not all the way forward), but doing your homework would have saved you the hassle.

Also from Surefire's website:

The SureFire 623LMG replaces the original forend of your Mossberg 590 shotgun, or your Mossberg 500 shotgun with a 7 ¾" forend tube. Note the difference?

m24shooter
03-22-11, 19:55
FWIW and this is a fact as of today!!!!!

Be VERY careful which SF forend you buy!

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE BOX/ LITERATURE SAYS- The SF Forend
http://www.surefire.com/LED-Momentar...itching-623LFG forend light DOES NOT FIT on a Mossberg 590 or 590A1 that has a bayonet lug.
And SF says so. And it has actually been a fact for quite some time, not just today.

It's there.

Don't ALL 590
Yup.

& 590A1's have bayonet lugs?
Nope. Only the 20" models.

In your other post on this topic I posted a few other options that are open to you. One costs nothing and the other will probably cost less than your estimate.

Pathfinder Ops
03-23-11, 07:22
OH!..... and the guy from SF also said that there is a "drawback" to the forend that does work on the lugged guns which is that they "cast a fairly significant shadow."

He stated that the shadow was such that many owners didn't prefer it and opted to remove the bayonet lug rather than accept the shadow.

Hmmmmmm

So essentially; IF this lighting option is how I want to go (and essentially it is my preference) then I cut the bayonet lug that for my purposes has zero usefulness,

OR

Cut the lower portion off the lug and go with the light which does have usefulness in my environment.

Travis B
03-23-11, 13:29
You can always have a setup like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ad1RGiR-Xg

That's a joke, do not post a light on your pic rail. You will look like an idiot and won't be able to see your sights.

scootle
03-23-11, 20:36

Nope. Only the 20" models.

Hmmm... I didn't realize that the 18" models lacked the bayonet lug... I thought all the 590A1 models had it. Regardless, concerns with the SureFire fit problems due to the lug is why I went with the LaserLyte tri-rail option and a TLR-1s.

Mounted on the right side of the gun, I can reach the light as needed with my support hand index finger on the forearm.

I haven't taken pictures yet, but I'm sure there are some out there. If you want me to snap some pics, please send me a PM.

m24shooter
03-23-11, 21:11
Hmmm... I didn't realize that the 18" models lacked the bayonet lug... I thought all the 590A1 models had it.
No.
The 590 comes in a 20" barrel length. The A1 has 20", 18.5", and 14" lengths.
The bayonet hilt engages the lug which is on the barrel mag tube band. The barrel ring on the bayonet engages the reduced diameter area of the mag tube cap. This will only work with the 20" versions. There is no lug on the 18.5" or 14" version because there is no room for the lug with the positioning of the mag tube cap, which is right at the end of the slide assembly.

scootle
03-24-11, 01:05
No.
The 590 comes in a 20" barrel length. The A1 has 20", 18.5", and 14" lengths.
The bayonet hilt engages the lug which is on the barrel mag tube band. The barrel ring on the bayonet engages the reduced diameter area of the mag tube cap. This will only work with the 20" versions. There is no lug on the 18.5" or 14" version because there is no room for the lug with the positioning of the mag tube cap, which is right at the end of the slide assembly.

now that you describe it... makes sense. the bayo hilt is a fixed length, so you need the distance from mag cap to lug to be a fixed value. thanks! :cool: