PDA

View Full Version : New Faith in my Colt6601c

Jimston
12-26-10, 17:33
So i wanted to go shooting this weekend, but the range was closed. We instead decided to call up a friend to see if he would allow us to hunt on his land.

He has 40 acres of property that is literally in the middle of no where, and he told us to go ahead do as we please.

My friend wanted to hunt, so he brought his Remington 760. We arrived in the woods around 2pm and basically stalked for the next 3 hours without any luck in spotting any small or large game.

My Colt was constantly covered in snow and water and i was worried about malfunctions. I tried my best to keep snow and water out of the chamber, but i could only do so much.

Being new to AR15's, i was honestly afraid to fire it. I kept it lubed nicely with Royal purple 10w-30 in hopes that the oil would fight against the water and win.

So finally, after 3 and a half hours of walking around in freezing wet weather, we set up a target and fired.

No jams, failures to feed or malfunctions of any sort. I first fired three x20 round usgi magazines of various steel cased/lacquered ammo. It performed flawlessly.

Then finished with x100 rounds of various brass ammo, and once again she performed without issues.

Despite my best efforts to keep my rifle dry,it was soaking wet and even had some ice forming around the rear site, trigger assembly and magazine well.

But it functioned without problems. I fired those x160 rounds out of 30-35 year old magazines that have probably been through hell and back.

So in the end, i feel that i can trust in my weapon system to function properly when i need it most. I pray that i will never have to use it to protect me or my family.

I know that i have swamped these forums with tons of questions about all kinds of things, but i know what i need to know now, and will only ask for help if i absolutely cannot find what i am looking for.

Thanks for the help and info. Have a good holiday.

Crow Hunter
12-26-10, 17:51
Congratulations!

Great feeling isn't it?

You finally see gunstore rumors are just that. Rumors.

:cool:

decodeddiesel
12-26-10, 19:44
If you take care of the weapon, it will take care of you. You did right by going with a Colt in the first place.

A friendly heads up...stash those old USGI mags and grab some P-mags. The magazine is the weak point of the AR-15 platform and there's no point in tempting fate by running those old beat up mags.

Redhat
12-26-10, 21:19
Glad you "broke the ice' so to speak!

89hits
12-27-10, 01:11
If folks would just buy a Colt, BCM, DD, or top tier to begin with, then the " did i git the wrong thing" blues wouldn't set in and you could sleep better.Yeah, it costs a bit more but how many funerals have you been to that money was in the coffin with the departed? After all, the ole boy that marrys your bride will get a Colt, etc, with your money? Won't he?

Deaj
12-27-10, 09:59
Good to hear. Your 6601c is very similar to the Colt AR I once owned. It was a great rifle!

I've been fortunate enough to have never owned a firearm with performance or reliability issues - every one has proved dead reliable from day one. This brings peace of mind knowing that they'll work should they ever be needed to defend loved ones / innocents. My past experience with Colt's tracks with yours - 100% reliable in any conditions with any ammo (true, thankfully, of my current AR as well).

Until I've had the opportunity to wring them out I've always been a little skeptical about any new firearm's dependability. I seem to be a magnet for new items that will require warranty service - the guy who gets the items that slipped by Q.C.. Though I've had this happen with a couple of non-critical gun related products I've thankfully never purchased a critical defense item (firearms, internal parts for firearm, magazines, tac-lights, non-magnified electronic / tritium / iron sights, fixed blade / folding knives, etc.) that has proven to be anything less than reliable. I do remember feeling pretty confident in the Colt AR right off the rack though (battle proven platform) and it exceeded my expectations during the time that I owned it. It was a fantastic weapon!

I'll echo the recommendation to replace those old magazines with new PMAG's. Magazines are consumables and replacements are cheap.

Keep your AR lubed and shoot, shoot, shoot!! Be safe and enjoy! :)

Jimston
12-27-10, 11:25
If you take care of the weapon, it will take care of you. You did right by going with a Colt in the first place.

A friendly heads up...stash those old USGI mags and grab some P-mags. The magazine is the weak point of the AR-15 platform and there's no point in tempting fate by running those old beat up mags.

I have P-mags coming in the mail any day now, and my friend is going to give me a box of them that he doesn't need anymore.

I was hoping that i would get to test the pmags during the weekend, but they didn't arrive in time.

Jimston
12-27-10, 11:31
If folks would just buy a Colt, BCM, DD, or top tier to begin with, then the " did i git the wrong thing" blues wouldn't set in and you could sleep better.Yeah, it costs a bit more but how many funerals have you been to that money was in the coffin with the departed? After all, the ole boy that marrys your bride will get a Colt, etc, with your money? Won't he?

This is exactly why i bought a Colt. Hasn't Colt been around for over 100 years?

Through my quest to find and buy an AR, i had a chance to handle Bushmasters, Stags, DPMS's, and a Smith and Wesson .22. The brands besides Colt all seemed to feel as if they were made out of cheaper materials, and the finish/paint or anodized black just didn't seem to measure up to the colt.

I remember when i racked the charging handle on the three Bushmasters that i was able to check out, it sounded like a all kinds of metal grinding together in an ear piercing sound.

They didn't feel as sturdy or well built as the Colt. The Colt feels like a rock, and that is what i want.

I have nothing against other AR brands, i just noticed that the Colts i handled felt much more rigid/sturdy and like they were built out of higher quality materials.

Grumpy MSG
12-27-10, 12:08
My Colt was constantly covered in snow and water and i was worried about malfunctions. I tried my best to keep snow and water out of the chamber, but i could only do so much.

Being new to AR15's, i was honestly afraid to fire it. I kept it lubed nicely with Royal purple 10w-30 in hopes that the oil would fight against the water and win.

So finally, after 3 and a half hours of walking around in freezing wet weather, we set up a target and fired.

No jams, failures to feed or malfunctions of any sort. I first fired three x20 round usgi magazines of various steel cased/lacquered ammo. It performed flawlessly.

Then finished with x100 rounds of various brass ammo, and once again she performed without issues.

Despite my best efforts to keep my rifle dry,it was soaking wet and even had some ice forming around the rear site, trigger assembly and magazine well.

But it functioned without problems. I fired those x160 rounds out of 30-35 year old magazines that have probably been through hell and back.

So in the end, i feel that i can trust in my weapon system to function properly when i need it most. I pray that i will never have to use it to protect me or my family.

I know that i have swamped these forums with tons of questions about all kinds of things, but i know what i need to know now, and will only ask for help if i absolutely cannot find what i am looking for.

Thanks for the help and info. Have a good holiday.

Congrats on your satisfaction with your Colt. I have just a couple of tips:
1. Find a good CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative) I am not going to tell you one brand is better than another, Miltec Vs Gunzilla Vs Breakfree Vs FP10 Vs WeaponShield and a host of others. There are whole posts dedicated to the discussion of their virtues. I wouldn't use the engine oil as it isn't intended to prevent rust.
2. Keep your old aluminum magazines, the 20 rounders rarely give problems and for the 30s, I recommend getting the replacement magazine follower and springs from Magpul or C Products.
3. As for ammo, you see the virtue in spending for a decent rifle, and other will argue how wonderful the steelcased russian ammo is, but I would recommend sticking with brass cased ammo.
4. There are plenty of places that sell the "shoot through" muzzle caps, buy a couple for use on the weapon during inclement weather. They will fly down range like a shotshell wad if you shoot through it and it won't hurt the rifle, just remember to remove for storage so that it doesn't trap moisture in the bore.

Jimston
12-27-10, 18:53
Congrats on your satisfaction with your Colt. I have just a couple of tips:
1. Find a good CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative) I am not going to tell you one brand is better than another, Miltec Vs Gunzilla Vs Breakfree Vs FP10 Vs WeaponShield and a host of others. There are whole posts dedicated to the discussion of their virtues. I wouldn't use the engine oil as it isn't intended to prevent rust.
2. Keep your old aluminum magazines, the 20 rounders rarely give problems and for the 30s, I recommend getting the replacement magazine follower and springs from Magpul or C Products.
3. As for ammo, you see the virtue in spending for a decent rifle, and other will argue how wonderful the steelcased russian ammo is, but I would recommend sticking with brass cased ammo.
4. There are plenty of places that sell the "shoot through" muzzle caps, buy a couple for use on the weapon during inclement weather. They will fly down range like a shotshell wad if you shoot through it and it won't hurt the rifle, just remember to remove for storage so that it doesn't trap moisture in the bore.

Thanks for the info man. I'm sort of in a experimental period where i am trying to find items that work best.

I bought the royal purple as a temporary lube until i could order a dedicated gun lube like slip2000.

I use hoppes 9 for cleaning the low/upper and bore. I run wet patches through the bore for storing. I only use the purple to coat the BCG and upper receiver. I keep my rifle in a locked case with 5-6 silicon packs, and basically keep a good coat of lube on all necessary parts.

I wish there was a single lube that covered everything. I don't wanna have to wipe my storage lube off and then apply lube right before shooting.

For those who use engine oil for lube, what do you use when your storing the weapon?

jaygee
12-28-10, 11:28
I've only had two issues with Colt over the many years, and one of those was, no doubt, a "builder error".
So continue to expect the best 'cuz you're starting with the best...in the overall scheme of things.

RAM Engineer
12-28-10, 12:24
I use hoppes 9 for cleaning the low/upper and bore. I run wet patches through the bore for storing. I only use the purple to coat the BCG and upper receiver. I keep my rifle in a locked case with 5-6 silicon packs, and basically keep a good coat of lube on all necessary parts.

Ditch that Hoppes ASAP dude. It is not compatible with Aluminum. Guess what your upper and lower are made of...

It won't dissolve your gun in an hour, but it will cause issues in the long run and there is no need to use it anyway. Use something like CLP or Slip 2000 for your cleaning AND your lube. It's not like you have to clean it often anyway.

We'd all be better off if Hoppes were outlawed. I think I'll get Algore on that.

Redhat
12-28-10, 12:35
Ditch that Hoppes ASAP dude. It is not compatible with Aluminum. Guess what your upper and lower are made of...

Where did you get that information? Does it state that on the Hoppes bottle?

I would also add that I don't leave any solvent on the weapon. After I use it I remove it.

.45fmjoe
12-28-10, 15:25
Why anyone still uses that horrid smelling, toxic bullshit cleaner is beyond me; we now have so many non-toxic, pleasant or unscented cleaners that do a better job at our disposal.

Jimston
12-28-10, 15:35

It won't dissolve your gun in an hour, but it will cause issues in the long run and there is no need to use it anyway. Use something like CLP or Slip 2000 for your cleaning AND your lube. It's not like you have to clean it often anyway.

We'd all be better off if Hoppes were outlawed. I think I'll get Algore on that.

I wouldn't use or have used hoppes if i thought it would damage my rifle. I've been using it for about a week now and have never left it on any aluminum parts. I use it for cleaning only.

This is the first time anyone has told me to not use it. It works well when it comes to getting rid of carbon and copper fouling.

As far as cleaning, sure i may not need to clean that much, but i often shoot in horrible weather where it is raining or snowing. I've exposed my rifle to the elements several times here in Northern Ct since owning my colt, and it gets wet and dirty.

I am not gonna be one of those people who baby my carbine/rifle. I paid a load of money for it, so I'm gonna shoot the shit out of it in cold and wet winter conditions if i have to.

If it breaks it breaks, though i doubt it will as i will never give it a chance to rust or erode.

But please find me some evidence stating that hoppes is bad for my rifle. I've never seen or heard this from anyone until now.

JStor
12-28-10, 16:11
Use the Hoppes #9 in the bore. There's no reason to use it on any of the aluminum portions of the receiver, but there will be no issues using it for the proper cleaning of the bore. You can use it to scrub the bolt and carrier, also.

The Hoppes #9 will remove much of the powder fouling, and then you can go to CLP or whatever. A final dry patch should clear the bore of any excess oil for storage.

There is nothing wrong with using the motor oil as lubricant for the bolt. Many shooters use a synthetic motor oil because a quart lasts a very long time. Lube is lube when it comes to keeping the weapon operating.

Use a CLP soaked rag to wipe down the outer surfaces of the weapon. CLP is outstanding in corrosion prevention.

RAM Engineer
12-28-10, 17:02
But please find me some evidence stating that hoppes is bad for my rifle. I've never seen or heard this from anyone until now.

Hoppes has ammonia in it. Ammonia+water+unprotected_Aluminum=corrosion

http://www.instructables.com/community/Ammonia--Aluminum/?sort=OLDEST&comments=#comments

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3670176532_acb9607be6.jpg

Longhunter
12-28-10, 17:11
If you were talking about a flintlock then maybe your concern would of made sense. Hell I never worried about my 62 cal. smoothbore that much when it was pouring the snow down... well I did have a handy dandy mink skin covering the frizzin/pan.

I bet those ground squirrels were terrified when they saw you two stalking them. LOL

Jimston
12-28-10, 19:48
If you were talking about a flintlock then maybe your concern would of made sense. Hell I never worried about my 62 cal. smoothbore that much when it was pouring the snow down... well I did have a handy dandy mink skin covering the frizzin/pan.

I bet those ground squirrels were terrified when they saw you two stalking them. LOL

My friend hunts with his M1 Garand and i stalk with my Colt haha. Between the black winter face masks and ammo vests we might look a little scary to the wild life.

Every time we spot deer or turkey they are hauling ass. The woods that we hunt in are very dense! It's some serious bush :)

Jimston
12-28-10, 19:50
Hoppes has ammonia in it. Ammonia+water+unprotected_Aluminum=corrosion

http://www.instructables.com/community/Ammonia--Aluminum/?sort=OLDEST&comments=#comments

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3670176532_acb9607be6.jpg

I've ordered some CLP foam and liquid cleaner/lube. I won't be using the Hoppes anymore. It does smell like ass anyways, and when it gets on my skin and inevitable cuts, it burns.

GermanSynergy
12-28-10, 20:20
You won't miss the Hoppes, Jimston. :D

I used to be a die hard Hoppes fan, until I discovered M-Pro 7 and now the superb Slip 2000 products.

Enjoy your Colt!

I've ordered some CLP foam and liquid cleaner/lube. I won't be using the Hoppes anymore. It does smell like ass anyways, and when it gets on my skin and inevitable cuts, it burns.

Redhat
12-28-10, 20:47
I just started trying out some M-PRO7 barrel cleaner...juries still out for me on that one. For oil, I have been using Weapons Shield with decent results. One thing for sure, I hate CLP. It doesn't do much very well except stay on your hands for about 3 days.