PDA

View Full Version : Bolt/Barrel Wear Question

Ironman8
12-27-10, 12:15
Hey Guys,

I've been reading various threads here and elsewhere about this, but can't really find applicable answers.

I was wondering if I were to replace my bolt at between 10,000 and 20,000 rounds for preventative maintenance, would I run into any headspacing problems, or any other problems for that matter? And if I did, what would be the course of action? Would I have to just change the barrel/barrel extension?

I ask because I have a Noveske barrel which is rated for well beyond 20,000 rds obviously, but I didn't know what issues I would run into if I eventually needed to change the bolt out.

Thanks

Iraqgunz
12-27-10, 13:03
That's alot of rounds. I suspect that if you are putting that many down range you need to be checking for other issues as well. I would personally run the weapon as is, until it breaks.

Unless you are using using it for duty/ defense as well. Changing a barrel extension isn't that easy and can't be done by most people. It would require being sent in.

There is always a potential for a headspace issue wiith that high of round count, but there is no definitive answer.

Hey Guys,

I've been reading various threads here and elsewhere about this, but can't really find applicable answers.

I was wondering if I were to replace my bolt at between 10,000 and 20,000 rounds for preventative maintenance, would I run into any headspacing problems, or any other problems for that matter? And if I did, what would be the course of action? Would I have to just change the barrel/barrel extension?

I ask because I have a Noveske barrel which is rated for well beyond 20,000 rds obviously, but I didn't know what issues I would run into if I eventually needed to change the bolt out.

Thanks

Ironman8
12-27-10, 14:20
Yes you are right. What I am talking about is changing out parts such as the bolt as preventative maintenance. I won't be reaching the 20,000 round mark for a while lol but I don't want my bolt to die on me when I really need it.

Pat Rogers has a thread on another forum talking about different parts and what round count they usually break. I'm definitely not trying to put words in his mouth, but the conclusion I drew from that thread was that you should change your bolt as "preventative maintenance" at between the 10,000-20,000 round mark.

SO that's why I was wondering what the course of action would be to ensure a proper mating of a new bolt and a used barrel that still has plenty of life? What issues are common to run into?

Iraqgunz
12-27-10, 15:52
In the military world there are several inspections that are done. I have them posted in this forum (Sticky). In addition to headspace you may have issues of throat erosion. Unfortunately no one makes a correct gage for that yet.

There are are also other gagings such as barrel straightness, firing pin protrusion and firing pin hole checks as well. Again most of these gages are not available to the GP.

So in the end I guess that you have to decide what you want to do and when, since there is no set interval. I usually carry spare parts and stuff when I am out and about. However, if my weapon craps out then I am going to be more worried about transition to my secondary in a real life scenario.

Yes you are right. What I am talking about is changing out parts such as the bolt as preventative maintenance. I won't be reaching the 20,000 round mark for a while lol but I don't want my bolt to die on me when I really need it.

Pat Rogers has a thread on another forum talking about different parts and what round count they usually break. I'm definitely not trying to put words in his mouth, but the conclusion I drew from that thread was that you should change your bolt as "preventative maintenance" at between the 10,000-20,000 round mark.

SO that's why I was wondering what the course of action would be to ensure a proper mating of a new bolt and a used barrel that still has plenty of life? What issues are common to run into?

Ironman8
12-27-10, 16:20
Thanks. I'll look around for that sticky. Is it in the Technical forum?

Pain
12-27-10, 18:35
I'd think if you change your bolt the head space won't change.

What will affect your headspace is the wear on your barrel. Why not purchase a no go gage and test it out before you change bolts.

Remember if you buy a head space gauge, purchase the correct one that your barrel is chambered for. IE : 556 or 223 remington etc.

Keep in mind headspace is not that critical. As long as your gun shoots and doesn't display any weird issues, just keep shooting it.

If one day, you start spliting cases or poping primers often, or you get misfires, then that's when your head spacing needs fixing.

Ironman8
12-27-10, 23:28
And you correct headspacing issues how? I'm not familiar with it, I just wanted to know for future reference...

Iraqgunz
12-28-10, 00:48
It's in the New Shooters area.

89hits
12-28-10, 02:53
under most circumstances if you are maintaining your stick properly then wear at the lugs will be minimal.The new bolt may actually tighten headspace.