PDA

View Full Version : How do de-register an SBR

No Bananas
12-27-10, 17:15
I have a Sig 556 Pistol that I registered as an SBR. I tried replacing the top rail a couple of times, and one of the screw towers broke off:suicide2:. Long story short, I tried to fix, made it worse and it is inoperable:suicide::thank_you2:. I sold the parts (made decent money, too), including the lower (the upper is the registered receiver). So, it's no longer an SBR, let alone anything else.

But, technically it still registered with ATF. How do I de-register the receiver? Thanks.

AMMOTECH
12-27-10, 17:29
Sounds like a question that you should have called the BATF with before you tried to sell it. Give them a ring and see what they can help you with.

:confused:

Todd.K
12-27-10, 17:36
Send the ATF a letter and tell them it is no longer an SBR to remove it from the registry.

Todd.K
12-27-10, 17:38
And it can't be made back into a pistol if you do keep the receiver.

No Bananas
12-27-10, 21:27
Sounds like a question that you should have called the BATF with before you tried to sell it. Give them a ring and see what they can help you with.

:confused:

Let me clear a few things up. I never tried to sell it. I am in possesion of the registered receiver and always have been. I'm well aware of the NFA laws regarding transfer. I don't even want to get rid of it, it will end up being a paperweight in the safe. Honestly, who would want it? I guess I used the past tense in my initial post because it used to be a SBR, and now (thanks to my handi-work) it is a mangeled unusable registered (SBR) stripped upper receiver. The upper receiver is the registered part of the Sig 556. I was wondering if anybody here had ever de-registered a SBR, and what the procedures might be. Thought the experienced folk here might know and would be worth getting their input before I called the ATF to get the official word.

Spiffums
12-28-10, 09:55
Can't Sig repair or replace it?

Todd.K
12-28-10, 11:06
You can sell the receiver, it stopped being an SBR when you took the short barrel off and sold it.

CAR-AR-M16
12-28-10, 22:11
Send the ATF a letter and tell them it is no longer an SBR to remove it from the registry.

Nothing ever gets removed from the registry. NFA Branch will simply make a note in the registry that the SBR has been returned to title 1 configuration.

Lots of good SBR/SBS FAQ's here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

SteyrAUG
12-28-10, 22:35
I have a Sig 556 Pistol that I registered as an SBR. I tried replacing the top rail a couple of times, and one of the screw towers broke off

SIG quality has come a long way...down.

No Bananas
12-29-10, 14:11
You can sell the receiver, it stopped being an SBR when you took the short barrel off and sold it.

Dude! I didn't sell it!:nono: I disagree. As noted aftyer your post, although nothing leaves the rgistry, there will need to be some sort of paperwork noting that the firearm has been returned to title 1 status.

Iraqgunz
12-29-10, 14:25
Read that ATF faqs link. It's spelled out fairly clear.

Dude! I didn't sell it!:nono: I disagree. As noted aftyer your post, although nothing leaves the rgistry, there will need to be some sort of paperwork noting that the firearm has been returned to title 1 status.

TriumphRat675
12-29-10, 14:55
As noted aftyer your post, although nothing leaves the rgistry, there will need to be some sort of paperwork noting that the firearm has been returned to title 1 status.

ToddK is correct.

cj5_dude
12-29-10, 15:11
Quit getting your panties in a bunch. He meant when you took the barrel off and sold the barrel.

LaVista
12-29-10, 16:41
Personally I would crush it in a vice and/or melt it in a fire, like how formerly automatic, unregistered com-bloc AK47 parts kits have the receivers totally rendered inoperable with a big torch.

Then I would notify the ATF that it has been destroyed as such.

It would be a shame if years down the road you moved to a less free state and forgot about your mangled sig receiver, or something happened to you and somebody else came to possess it and got in serious trouble for having what amounts to a useless hunk of metal.

A little bit of CYA goes a long way.

Edit: Read the SBR FAQ just for fun. Apparently if you remove the short barrel to sell the frame alone, or with a 16" barrel they consider it to be a title 1 firearm yet again, which is very different from their "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun" position. I'm kind of surprised that they have taken this opinion, to be honest.

I would still probably destroy mine.

Iraqgunz
12-29-10, 16:50
Seriously? Did you post this for shits and giggles or was there a reason? It doesn't matter if someone else possesses it or not. Read the FAQ's from the BATFE website. Once the items are separated (barrel upper from lower or the other way around it is no longer an SBR. At the most all he really should do is just send them a letter stating that the configuration has changed. That's it.

I don't know why people read into shit so much that they seem like they are creating their own regulations and laws. As if we don't have enough already.

Personally I would crush it in a vice and/or melt it in a fire, like how formerly automatic, unregistered com-bloc AK47 parts kits have the receivers totally rendered inoperable with a big torch.

Then I would notify the ATF that it has been destroyed as such.

It would be a shame if years down the road you moved to a less free state and forgot about your mangled sig receiver, or something happened to you and somebody else came to possess it and got in serious trouble for having what amounts to a useless hunk of metal.

A little bit of CYA goes a long way.

No Bananas
12-29-10, 19:11
Quit getting your panties in a bunch. He meant when you took the barrel off and sold the barrel.

Hey! Leave my thongs outa this!

No Bananas
01-01-11, 08:39
OK,
Here's a question for you folks. Yes, I will check with ATF. As I mentioned, the receiver isn't just damaged from the screw tower breaking off, but irreversibly damaged by me trying to fix it. :angry::shout::cray::bad: Do I really need to take any action? That is, if I just leave it on the registry and keep the receiver in my possesion is that an issue?

Bret
01-01-11, 11:25
I am pretty sure that your particular situation is irrelevant. You know why? An AK is a complete weapon. You cannot separate the upper and lower like you can with other weapons.

Once again, I think that the BATFE guidelines ARE PRETTY EASY TO UNDERSTAND. YMMV JM2CW.

OK,
Do I really need to take any action?
Yes, not so much for your sake, but for someone who has to deal with it after you're gone.

I had a similar situation, although not exactly the same. Most everyone likes a story, so here goes. BTW, this is the short version that spares most of frustration experienced. I bought an Arsenal 106-CR which is a Bulgarian AK-102 type AK rifle with 16" barrel chambered in 5.56x45. The barrel sticks out beyoned the end of the front sight/gas block about 4". To make in its proper 12" barrel configuration, all you literally have to do is cut off the barrel at the muzzle. It would be simple, or so I thought. Since I have quite a few AK's and had never had a single malfunction out of one and this rifle was built by Arsenal which is suppose to be a top tier AK manufacturer, I knew I didn't need to worry about having any reliability problems. So, I immediately filled out the Form 1, got it signed, and sent it in with all my paperwork. The ATF was taking a little longer back then, so I decided to shoot my new rifle. It worked fine. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bretak74?feature=mhum#p/u/15/tUS-PvD6EQU
Unfortunately, the next time I shot it things didn't go so well:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bretak74?feature=mhum#p/u/12/AU43g_fhVyc
Of course I tried different ammo and magazines all to no avail, so back to Arsenal it went. They repaired it and I took it to the range again:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bretak74?feature=mhum#p/u/9/htuNCPZaXKk
Again, the rifle was not reliable. It went back to Arsenal again and again. They couldn't fix it. They then offered to replace it with another 106CR. I said OK, but had the problem that my Form 1 had come back approved. So, I called the agent that had signed it to see if I could undo things and get my $200 back. He said that he didn't know about the $200, but I could void the Form 1. He instructed me to write "VOID" across the front and back of my Form 1, fax it to him, and then mail it to him. Some time later I received a copy of my voided Form 1 in the mail. He had stamped "VOID" in red all over it. Months later I got a $200 check in the mail.

This situation is a little different in that my rifle was never actually built in to an SBR, so I'm pretty sure you can't get the $200 back. However, the procedure will probably be about the same. Give the person that did the approval a call. He'll give you instructions. Keep a copy of the voided Form 1 along with your other Form 1's.

To finish the story up, Arsenal sent me the replacement rifle. I figured things were not going to go well when I found that it had a lower serial number than the one I sent them and it was used. I was correct, it was just as unreliable as the first. Meanwhile, I had similar problems with my Arsenal 106UR (krink AK type if 5.56x45) which Arsenal couldn't fix after a few trips back. Their customer service was horrible. I never could get anyone in management to give me a call back. Still, I wasn't going to have spent $900 per rifle and end up with rifles that were unreliable. Eventually, they offered to refund me my money. I was out the FFL fees and shipping to my FFL, but got all my money beyond that. The rifles came though RSR, so the refunds had to go the same way. Arsenal paid RSR who then paid my FFL.

Lessons learned:
1) Don't send off your Form 1 until you're 100% sure that your rifle is 100% reliable.
2) Not all AK's are 100% reliable.
3) Arsenal, Inc. in Nevada has a bunch of monkeys working for them. Seriously, they make the Century Arms monkeys look good. Their management could also give a crap about their customers. Never buy anything from them again.
4) If you have a question, don't be afraid to call the agent that signed your Form. They'll tell you exactly what to do which often conflicts with what others on the internet say.