PDA

View Full Version : 1x4 burris or Trijicon

striped1
12-27-10, 19:35
I have narrowed my 1x4 scope choice down to a TR24 with the #4 amber or the Burris XTR. Either will go in a larue mount.

This will go on a 16 or 18" 6.8spc.

Anyone have any insight on these and if it is worth waiting until after shot, ie, any chance trijicon will make a better reticle available in the Tr24? Or is there anything better coming down the pike soon?

kwelz
12-28-10, 08:21
You may be better off waiting for Shot Show before you make any decisions.

But between those two I would pick the TR24.

Any reason you don't like the current reticle choices?

Utah1
12-28-10, 09:27
If you like Burris check this deal, http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12596.aspx

Trijicon has a "teaser" add about something new. http://www.trijicon.com/Trijicon.cfm?CFID=22437121&CFTOKEN=82822409#

I really like the new SWFA SS 1-4 HD. It will be out soon and is the best dual purpose optic on the market, IMO. I have a review of it in this section.

SeriousStudent
12-28-10, 10:04
I own a TR-24G, and run it in a Larue 1.93 mount on a BCM middy 16" carbine.

The recoil on my carbine is not the same as your 6.8. But I do not think it's a lot more.

I'm pleased with the clarity of the glass, and the ease and speed at which I can pick up the green triangle.

The one drawback you might hear on the TR-24, comes from shooting indoors. It can be a challenge to shoot from a very dark area, into a well-lighted space.

That is due to how the tritium "may" wash out a bit under bright illumination in the target area. I think USMC03 or maybe Sam had some good posts on this.

My "house" carbine has a Aimpoint H-1 on it. But the Trijicon with a cattail is really hard to beat outdoors.

I definitely agree with waiting after SHOT. Plus you can always pick up something nice, from the people that have to have the latest and greatest, and sell something they took off a safe queen.

kmrtnsn
12-28-10, 17:57
I find I prefer the XTR reticle, especially out past 400m, your mileage may vary.

dorton
12-28-10, 19:55
I'm very pleased with my tr24, and haven't had any issues on wash out of the reticule. I could see it with the reflex, but when shooting from dark to light, the reticule appears black.

SeriousStudent
12-28-10, 20:16
I'm very pleased with my tr24, and haven't had any issues on wash out of the reticule. I could see it with the reflex, but when shooting from dark to light, the reticule appears black.

Yup, that is what I was referring to. It's not that big a deal for me, when I was practicing with it. The post that the triangle rides on is not as fast to pick up, but I can still "see it".

striped1
12-28-10, 20:52
I have a hog trip planned 3rd week of Feb. Going to try to hold out to see what shot brings and see if I can get something in time.

SeriousStudent
12-28-10, 20:58
I have a hog trip planned 3rd week of Feb. .......

Mmmmm - pulled pork sammiches! :D

Good luck with the hunt!

PrarieDog
12-28-10, 22:30
I just recently had the same choice. I went with the Trijicon due to the lack of batteries. Some of the benefits of it are that the scope is very fast and clear. The burris was a very close second and I think you get alot for your money. What sold me was the Liberty Optics had the Trijicon for $669. About $100 less than anyone else. I am very happy with the scope. It is not a precision scope wit the triangle but it is a very fast scope for closer work and works no problem out to 300-400 yards.
Scott at Liberty was great to deal with and is very professional. The price is still good from when I bought my scope a few months ago.
http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

SA80Dan
12-29-10, 08:42
Very similar to prairiedog, I went through this choice also fairly recently. Ended up with the TR24 with red triangle (+1 on Liberty Optics...great price (which includes shipping), great service. The Trijicon just oozes quality, IMO - heck, even the packaging is fancy. The components come from Japan but the scopes are assembled in the US. I think $ for $, you really are getting your moneys worth.

The Burris XTR (and Meopta K Dot, come to that) just didn't do it for me - both a bit bigger and heavier. Also found the Burris reticle a bit busy for my tastes - and I really liked the no batteries/always on aspect of the Trijicon. I like very much you can use it like a red dot close up, then tip of the triangle at range. Assuming a 200 yd zero, you can comfortably hold over through 300 yds - after that, the post/triangle does get in the way, but Trijicon have made it extremely easy to click up the scope - it is marked, has positive clicks and returns to your set zero.

Shooting from dark to light is a non issue for me - you can still clearly still see the triangle in black. In total darkness, the tritium glows - not superbright by any means but no trouble seeing it. One thing I have heard is that with the German reticle, the dot is very small and the illumination is a bit so-so due to the smallness of the dot. Something you might consider if you are set on the German reticle.

One other option I might suggest to you - rather than the Burris XTR, there is the fairly recently released TAC-30 1-4: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=burris+tac+30+1-4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10569310022103238537&ei=nkIbTcP9FoT68Abk6OGKDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#

I still would not take one over the Trijicon, but at around $300, and with a less busy (but still very useful) reticle than the XTR, I think it is potentially a bit of a bargain - makes me stuggle to see the extra $$$ worth in the XTR, actually.

The other one of interest also right now is the long awaited Vortex Viper 1-4x : http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=vortex+viper++1-4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6316446778177869251&ei=sUcbTc1Zw_3wBvCW8aoO&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDwQ8wIwAw#

....but it seems to be taking ages to come to market, not sure whether it is now rolling out or not yet.

MTechnik
12-29-10, 11:49
Just keep an eye out for a used TR-24. I found mine for $450 used. Best deal I've seen in for EVER.

Winnerkd
12-29-10, 15:30
Hello Friend,

I have a 1-4x with green German crosshairs, and it's a beautiful piece! I looked at several options before purchasing the Trijicon. First of all I'll point out my bias, I love Trijicon, I own two ACOGs and this AccuPoint, though I like the ACOGs more (seeing as I shoot 50-300y most often) I'll say the class is just as clear with the AccuPoint. The tube is light and it has been dropped about three or four times and still nothing was damaged or zero lost.

I don't think the AccuPoint is going to be as durable as NightForce or U.S. Optics, but for the price it's a great choice!