PDA

View Full Version : New B/A Project...need your help

sabresbrs
12-28-10, 18:20
I am starting a new bolt gun project. Would you go with a Rem 700 sps tactical for about six hundred or a Ruger M77 hawkeye tactical that comes with a bi-pod for about eight hundred dollars to start my project? So which one? Pros and Cons of each please. Thanks.

sabresbrs
12-28-10, 18:25
I do not want to change the stock on either...I actually like the Hogue stocks...

Alpha Sierra
12-28-10, 18:39
Neither. I'd buy a Winchester Model 70 Stealth or a Howa 1500 varmint.

MOA
12-29-10, 12:04
The remington. More after market. What are your long term goals for the rifle. If you said hunting ruger. I like control round feed. Anything else remington. A bi-pod isn't worth 200 more on a rifle thats not known for accuracy any way. hell, you could thro a Atlas on the remmy for that. Or a harris, a nice set of base and rings, and still have enough for a cup of coffee. Or you could just start with a FN SPR action and go from there. Control round feed, good after market, and matbe the best action ever put into a rifle.(Its basicly a pre 64 winchester model 70)

rob_s
12-29-10, 13:06
Is this a gun-building project or a skill-building project?

sabresbrs
12-29-10, 19:45
My goal for the rifle is to shoot out to about 300 yards max. It will be used for target shooting and hunting. Going to put some Leupold glass on it, prob a 4x14x40.

I like the two rifles bc of the 20 inch barrels. The 20 inch barrel is very handy especially when getting in and out of a vehicle.

ucrt
12-29-10, 20:03

I say Remington.

My experience is with hunting rifles and I have had several of each. You can do "things" to make a 700 shoot better or be more accurate. But the 77's I've messed with either shoot OK (seldom great) or they don't and there is not much you can do about it.

If you take the time to setup a 700, I've never seen one that didn't shoot better than average. Some are great out of the box and some need a little work. Aftermarket for a 700 is great but there is a lot of junk out there, too. Remember, not all aftermarket is good.

Don't buy a particular rifle for a shorter barrel length. Buy what you can get cheaper. It is nothing for a good smith to cut and recrown. IIRC, the last time I had a 700 barrel cut down cost me $55.

Good luck.

But maybe it's just me...

mark5pt56
12-29-10, 20:27
Remmy 700 SPS 20"

When I got mine with the plastic stock, I took a 1" dowel and sand paper to remove alot of plastic so there was zero contact with the barrel-there's alot of flex with that stock.
I easily hit 12x12 plates at 800 with it.

I found a nice HS stock for cheap and it rides in it now.

If I was you, get the 700

Get a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and the Night Force Direct Mount.

Work the stock for the time being, then decide on the stock.

I'm looking at the Manners T3 with left side flush cups and the Mini Chassis. If that is a bit high in price for you, find a used LTR take off, or any other decent HS, etc stock and either leave it or add bottom metal if you want, CDI Precision, Manners or the Seekins, all take Accuracy International AICS mags, 5 or 10 round.

If the barrel is to heavy, get a lighter profile later on.

I think you will find that for a do all stick, you'll like it.

sabresbrs
12-29-10, 21:10
Thanks guys.

JB326
12-29-10, 23:19
Another vote for Remington. I bought the 20" SPS and put it in a Manners T4, but it didn't shoot to bad in the Hogue. In the Hogue it was a .5-.75 MOA gun on average, in the Manners it is more of .4-.5 MOA at 100 yards. I don't get to do a lot of mid- long range shooting but it has consistently been at least a 1 MOA gun out to just over 500 yards the few times I've been able to shoot that far. The 20 barrel is supremely handy too.

carbinero
12-30-10, 12:53
700 don't look back

sabresbrs
12-30-10, 14:34
Ok it is going to be the remington. I was on the farm today and saw 3 deer running and thought to myself..."Would I be better off with a semi-auto like an FNAR? I just do not want any regrets when I sink fifteen hudred bucks into a set-up.

ucrt
12-30-10, 14:41
Ok it is going to be the remington. I was on the farm today and saw 3 deer running and thought to myself..."Would I be better off with a semi-auto like an FNAR? I just do not want any regrets when I sink fifteen hudred bucks into a set-up.

=================================================

You have to decide on what purpose you want the gun or you'll always have regrets. You could have easily shot one of those deer and possibly all three (if legal) with a bolt action.

Sounds like you might need to go back to square-one and decide on the "mission" for the gun or you'll be flip-flopping forever.

But maybe it's just me...

sabresbrs
12-30-10, 14:52
good advice

carbinero
12-30-10, 15:19
I have often thought about the FNAR myself, since a friend of mine has one: accurate and zero failures. Since you want a 20", this is a reasonable choice. It will be noticeably heavier. The rail and pistol grip are Good Things, IMHO. You will have very little opportunity to change the rifle vs the 700. All in all, if you want to keep it under $1000 and alter it any which way later (except turn into a SA) get the 700. Don't forget you will need more than a few hundred bux for optics, and another few hundred for ammo, sling, bipod or whatnot. If you want a SA and can swing $2000, it's not a bad choice. I'd prefer an AR-10 style platform, but that's another story. Long story short, do you have an extra grand for the SA? That puts you into a whole different project, and maybe much later. I prefer to shoot and learn NOW, and save up for another project later. You won't regret having an extra boltie.

sabresbrs
12-30-10, 16:39
I love the FNAR I really do. I do not even mind paying the extra $$$ for it, but I saw on youtube where breaking it down to clean is a BIG PAIN IN THE butt. If i bought another can for this project it would need to be cleaned more often than without a can. If a supressed the 700 it would be easy to clean. I have handled an FNAR and it felt good up to my shoulder. I just do not know which route to go???

300WM
12-30-10, 16:52

In my opinion, not necessarily better off, but equiped with more versatility. The Armalite AR-10 or the Bushmaster (shrubmaster to some) AR-10 type (obviously, the FNAR, also) will definitely shoot out to 300 yds. If you want the pinpoint accuracy, I would go with the 700. I have a 700 in 300WM, and it is wicked accurate. I did the same thing to the stock that the moderator did. I also used black, cloth medical tape between the receiver and the stock in all the areas that touch (some areas needed two strip thickness) so that there is equal pressure points when tightened down, similar to bedding, but without the mess and aggravation.

sabresbrs
12-30-10, 17:27
Yea I would not be trying to compete with this project gun, so pinpoint accuracy is not such an issue. I just need to be able to hit a deer in the shoulder at 3 hundred yards max. Whenever I hunt and wild hogs walk out there is always time for several follow up shots with a semi auto but maybe only two well aimed shots from a bolt action, so I need to consider this as well.

If I went with BA

Rifle - 600
scope- 400
rings etc- 100
bipod-100
Silencer-1000
tax stamp-200
Grand total - 2400 bucks

If I went FNAR without can

FNAR- 1400
scope- 400
rings etc-100
bipod- 100
extra mag-50

total 2050 bucks

mark5pt56
12-30-10, 18:03
Me personally--I would take that 1k for a can and add it to your scope--you will agree later on. Don't waste money on a cheap scope and regret it for one and loose all of it when you try to give it away---

Do the bolt gun. Besides if you hit the first time and know how to work the bolt and hit a mover--you've hit your daily limit(in Va. Anyhow)

An option is a 6.8 AR upper and you are good with the 300 yards for hunting deer and hogs-

sabresbrs
12-30-10, 21:19
I was thinking of a Leupold 4x14x40 VXII. What do you think?

mark5pt56
12-30-10, 21:32
I was thinking of a Leupold 4x14x40 VXII. What do you think?

I don't know your budget, Leupold isn't junk but I don't think the quality is on par with the price.

I'm a Night Force snob although I still have two Leupold's that will be sold next year and replaced with NF's

I recommended the NF 2.5-10x32 go either with the mildot or NPR2 reticle--and zero stop. You will spend some coin, again, but happy you did.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/COMPACT_NXS_MODELS_/compact2_5-10x32nxs_/compact2_5-10x32nxs_.html

Why?
quality optics, consistent eye relief, good balance with weight, features and power range. Useful reticle patterns, zero stop feature is great and has exposed turrents. Has adjustable illumination. Either reticle can be used with any ammunition, just have to know hold overs and come ups, etc.
make sure you match the turret with reticle(mil/mil or moa/moa)