PDA

View Full Version : Help please with long range build

benw315
12-28-10, 21:09
SOOO.... got my lower in the mail today... BCM with modstock. I got a scope from the father in law (3-9x) for christmas. Originally, I was going to get a 14.5 inch middy first and an AR more for precision shooting second. However, this has been reversed. I've been doing a little research but havent had much time and would like to purchase an upper tomorrow to make sure I have it before the weekend of January 8. The intended use would be target shooting, coyote/prairie dog hunting (and anything else I decide)... Up to 500 yards or so. I've been looking at these uppers:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

A quick search hasn't really turned up much in this price range, and I want to keep the build relatively cheap. I don't have a torque wrench so would rather not build my own upper. Any other suggestions would be great, and thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for more options too. Thanks again!

Ben

benw315
12-28-10, 21:58
I could also do this

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx

18 inch mid-length barrel with 12" omega rail but I dont think that will be here on time ha.

SpankMonkey
12-28-10, 22:05
I would go with the 16" BCM. The 18" is really nice but the 16" will handle better. If you think you need the longer barrel than get the 18"

DD makes really nice uppers. It's a hard choice, all three are nice.

5pins
12-28-10, 22:06
I think either of the BCM’s would work perfectly.

benw315
12-28-10, 22:24
I know the velocities are similar between the two (16 and 18 inch) but just am not sure about the difference at longer distances such as 500 yards... trying to find that now. As I am still a rookie in this scene I'm not as knowledgeable so I apologize.

Smuckatelli
12-28-10, 22:43
A 16 inch barrel with a 1/7 twist using 77gr rounds will have no problems reaching out to 600 yards with iron sights.

MustangGreg66
12-28-10, 23:26
Hmm, I would think for varmint hunting you'd want something with a longer barrel. Especially for Prarie Dogs and target shooting off the bench.

I've got a 14.5" upper and I love it. I'd definitly take that after coyotes before a heavier rifle. Mainly because it's faster handling.

In the varmint scene you definitly see light bullets going faster a lot more than heavier bullets going slowly. With .223 I'd think you'd be in the 50-55gr range and those extra inches of barrel are going to give you those higher velocities for a flatter trajectory.

When I build my Varmint/Long range AR upper, I'm planning on at least a 20" barrel, maybe longer, 24 maybe. The extra weight on a bench isn't going to be noticed, except as benificial to keep it from moving much under recoil.

When you say you're planning on coyote/prairie dog hunting, does that mean you're going to be walking and stalking, or more setting up camp at a spot and calling in the yotes, or sitting attop a hill and laying waste to the prarie dogs?

I used to walk and stalk ground squirrels with a 26" Rem 700 in .223 and that thing was way to heavy, but when I did find a colony, that bull barrel would get pretty hot after only 10-15 shots. So think about the volumn of shooting you plan on doing as you pick your barrel profile as well.

Brahmzy
12-29-10, 00:08
THIS. (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-20-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=)

Quite possibly the best Varmint barrel made.

Cameron
12-29-10, 00:35
Since you are going to get a 14.5" later and you want a long range build, then I would recommend the 18" BCM SS410.

I bought one a few months ago and I am still amazed at it's accuracy and quality.

Cameron

DMack
12-29-10, 01:20
I have a 20" White Oak Precision Upper, that I would run against anything, anywhere... it's a laser beam. Very, VERY impressed with it.

I also have an 18" White Oak SPR that is a crazy tack driver. I'm a fan of John Holliger's work. Period.

In fact, he's getting ready to cut me a new upper in a 6.5 Les Baer... (same as Grendel) soon. I can't say enough good things about White Oak.

Smuckatelli
12-29-10, 08:33
Hmm, I would think for varmint hunting you'd want something with a longer barrel. Especially for Prarie Dogs and target shooting off the bench.

You bring up good points, I think the OP probably needs to refine his initial requirements. The "and anything else I decide" is why I gave the S/A on the 16 inch. If its only going to be for target shooting, coyote/prairie dog hunting......there are probably better platforms than the AR-15 out there.

GermanSynergy
12-29-10, 08:41
What is your definition of long range shooting, OP?

If a LR upper is what you seek, have Monty LeClair build one for you:

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=48&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=134

Add a NF 2.5-10x32 with MD/MR in a LaRue SPR mount, good ammo and a Geissele/KAC trigger.

benw315
12-29-10, 10:41
I would say i probably wont be doing much over 500 yards but i want the capability to shoot farther. Cameron, thats kind of what i was leaning towards as well. Thanks for the information everyone

Failure2Stop
12-29-10, 15:24
To shoot what at 500?
Hitting a humanoid sihouette at 500 on a flat range with wind flags and a definate distance is different than hitting a prarie dog in a field at 500, and will require different equipment and skillsets.

Iraqgunz
12-29-10, 15:54
FYI- a 14.5" will hit people at 500 yards with the correct optics, ammo and trigger monkey. I can hit steel plates at 300 with my 11.5" SBR and an ACOG.

I know the velocities are similar between the two (16 and 18 inch) but just am not sure about the difference at longer distances such as 500 yards... trying to find that now. As I am still a rookie in this scene I'm not as knowledgeable so I apologize.

benw315
12-29-10, 16:57
I'm thinking more coyotes at 500... and hopefully prairie dogs (although I have no idea the range people shoot them at). I do plan on a 14.5 as well when they come back in stock at bravo. Maybe I'll just have to order the 18 inch unless someone has a good reason not to in the next 5 minutes:laugh:

benw315
12-29-10, 17:22
So I ordered it, 18 inch stainless BCM upper with 13 inch VTAC handguard! I hate waiting for new toys to be shipped.

hals1
12-29-10, 22:30
THIS. (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-20-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=)

Quite possibly the best Varmint barrel made.

So how do you get the barrel nut on, or does it come without the gas block installed.:confused:

Brahmzy
12-29-10, 22:34
So how do you get the barrel nut on, or does it come without the gas block installed.:confused:

Most all Noveske barrels come with the gas block installed. You have to remove the gb to mount the barrel...