PDA

View Full Version : Experience with IWC's 1" TMC O.D. Light mount-n-slot?

Jake Bauer
12-28-10, 23:25
Hey guys, I think I'm going to replace my Vltor scout mount with this mount system. http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/tmc1olimo1.html
My question for you guys who have this mount is, how secure does your light stay in the mount? As the clamp around the flashlight body isnt fully closed around it, it doesnt look quite as secure. I just dont want to have my Fenix TK10 moving backwards or forwards in the mount like it did the first range trip I took with it in my Vltor.

Thanks for your help.

Grrrr
12-29-10, 11:47
I had the same reservations... I was surprised at how secure my g2 was in the mount. Not only is the light secure it puts it in perfect position for comfortable tail tap of the light with my support hand thumb. Great product.

TriumphRat675
12-29-10, 12:41
I've seen this can be used with at least some standard oval handguards, but will it work with the double heat shielded Colt oval handguards?

OldTimer
12-29-10, 13:29
I recently obtained one of those, too. Very secure and well made.

Jake Bauer
12-29-10, 16:27
Anyone use any lights other than the G2 in the mount? The G2 is slightly thicker than a 6P or in my case a TK10.

Treehopr
12-29-10, 16:52
I recently picked one up to add to a Magpul Middie MOE Handguard and the light is very secure.

I can hold up the whole carbine by just hanging on to the light- in this case a G2X which is a slightly smaller diameter than the G2- probably a little smaller in diameter than a 6P as well.

CaptainDooley
12-29-10, 20:17
So it works well with the Middy MOE, even though it's not flat on top? I was worried it wouldn't secure well. Got pics?

Treehopr
12-30-10, 00:24
So it works well with the Middy MOE, even though it's not flat on top? I was worried it wouldn't secure well. Got pics?

I hadn't noticed that it wasn't flat on top, the IWC mount is really well designed and works better with the MOE handguards than some of the FSB picatinny mounts I've used before.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/treehopr/Internet%20posts/MagpulMOEIWCmount.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/treehopr/Internet%20posts/MagpulMOEIWCmount2.jpg

Jake Bauer
12-30-10, 00:42
Thank you guys. Ordering one in a couple days.

HeavyDuty
12-30-10, 08:31
As an alternative, IWC is releasing a new version that will work on all MOE handguards - it mounts to the side slots up front and places the light in the same position as does the top mount.

Jake Bauer
12-31-10, 00:17
Sounds cool. I'm looking forward to having some space on the side of my handguards so the top mounting one is the one I'm going with.

Jake Bauer
01-06-11, 01:12
Thanks again fellas, the mount came in today (took 2 days to get to me using standard ground. Excellent service). I'll throw it on and snap pics tomorrow.

Falboy
01-06-11, 08:01
I have a Yugo M92 SBR, I'm thininking this might be just the ticket if I drill a couple holes through the top handguard. You guys that have it, any thoughts on this. The M92 is a "krinkov-type" AK.

NeoNeanderthal
01-06-11, 10:50
Treehopr,
Anyway you could post a picture of your light/mount on your middy from the side??? (Weaponleft) Im wondering how far forward this mount places the tailcap of the flashlight. That would be amazing thank you!

Treehopr
01-06-11, 16:30
Treehopr,
Anyway you could post a picture of your light/mount on your middy from the side??? (Weaponleft) Im wondering how far forward this mount places the tailcap of the flashlight. That would be amazing thank you!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/treehopr/Internet%20posts/MagpulMOEIWCmount3.jpg

NeoNeanderthal
01-06-11, 23:13
thanks man thats a huge help!

Jake Bauer
01-07-11, 01:10
Here it is!

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_6799.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_6800.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_6801.jpg

Rock solid. I love it. Doesnt stick out as far as my old set up and is in a more natural spot for my thumb.

lethal dose
01-14-11, 00:51
I've seen this can be used with at least some standard oval handguards, but will it work with the double heat shielded Colt oval handguards?

good question... will it work with dhs handguards?

lethal dose
01-14-11, 00:52
funny, i've also noticed that their website says it is NOT compatible with the middy moe hg.

HeavyDuty
01-14-11, 07:38
The top mount one won't fit the mid as designed - the handguard profiles are different. That's why IWC came out with a new mount that attaches to the side of the HG and projects the light into the same position.

It looks like some people have had success getting the top mount on their mids anyway!

Cruncher Block
01-15-11, 21:53
I recently bought and received an IWC 1" TMC O.D. Mount-n-Slot. After a quick assembly and deciding I liked the placement of the light and the extra hand room, I decided blue LocTite would be a good idea.

Since most of the pics I've seen have been with MOEs and I'm using an oval single heatshield handguard, I decided to take some pics while I had it all apart.

TriumphRat, these pics might help give you an idea how it mounts on the inside. The inside attachments basically take up the space between the handguard and a single heatshield.

On an oval handguard, the screws go nicely in the first and third holes.

lethal dose
02-01-11, 23:10
anybody running one on mid length oval handguards like the cav arms?

Jake Bauer
02-01-11, 23:35
Cruncher that looks pretty good!

Man if IWC had been around when I got my rifle, I may not have even bought an MOE handguard. I love the oval but there werent many good light mounts of for them at the time. IWC now makes good sling mounts for oval guards as well, and there's plenty of VFGs that fit them out there.

Good Idea about the loctite. I might have to do that too eventually. I tightened the mount as tight as I could get it short of stripping the screws, but if they come loose, we'll have issues.

Cruncher Block
02-06-11, 19:40
Follow-up: took the LocTite'd mount to the range today. After about 50 rounds, the attachment to the handguard was still solid but the light had slipped forward in the mount.

I took it back home and undid the light clamp. The screw seemed locked in tightly so I don't think the screw backed out. I think it was the clamp's slick metal not gripping the SureFire Nitrolon case very well.

I repositioned the light so that the clamp sits in the light's waffle pattern. I redid the LocTite on the screw and torqued it down as hard as I could by hand. I'll report back after the next session.

My humble suggestion to IWC: Put some sort of checkering or raised ridge inside the clamp to grip the light case.

3 AE
03-06-11, 12:02
Follow-up: took the LocTite'd mount to the range today. After about 50 rounds, the attachment to the handguard was still solid but the light had slipped forward in the mount.

I took it back home and undid the light clamp. The screw seemed locked in tightly so I don't think the screw backed out. I think it was the clamp's slick metal not gripping the SureFire Nitrolon case very well.

I repositioned the light so that the clamp sits in the light's waffle pattern. I redid the LocTite on the screw and torqued it down as hard as I could by hand. I'll report back after the next session.

My humble suggestion to IWC: Put some sort of checkering or raised ridge inside the clamp to grip the light case. Have you had any more issues with the G2 light slipping forward under recoil since your last post?

3 AE
03-06-11, 12:08
good question... will it work with dhs handguards? I just fired off an email to IWC concerning the ability to attach this mount to a handguard with a double heatshield. Since this is what I have on my Colt AR. Will post their reply when received. Maybe someone can chime in with a reply in the meantime if they were able to use this mount with a dhs handguard.

Cruncher Block
03-06-11, 13:30
Have you had any more issues with the G2 light slipping forward under recoil since your last post?

I haven't been able to get it to the range since then. Work and kids' sports are chewing up my weekends right now.

I thought of something else I might try, too -- skateboard/step tape on the inside of the mount.

3 AE
03-06-11, 14:04
I haven't been able to get it to the range since then. Work and kids' sports are chewing up my weekends right now.

I thought of something else I might try, too -- skateboard/step tape on the inside of the mount. I received an email from Earl at IWC stating that they had experienced this shifting of a G2 only once before. They shipped out a new mount and that solved the problem. If yours does shift again,you can email IWC stating the nature of the problem. Earl said that the mounts have a lifetime warranty and IWC will take care of the matter. Hope this helps.

3 AE
03-09-11, 17:00
good question... will it work with dhs handguards? Received an email from Earl at IWC concerning this. He felt that there probably wasn't enough clearance between the two heatshields to insert the nut with the installation tool. His solutions were 1) Switch to a single heatshield handguard 2) Remove the inner heatshield,install the mount and either reinstall the inner shield if possible or leave it out completely. I decided to go with a single heatshield handguard to make installation as simple as possible. I found out that the reason for the double heatshield handguard was to protect the hand of the shooter from excessive heat during extended high volume/full auto operation. I doubt that I will ever encounter this situation in a home defense scenario. Now when I enroll in carbine classes where 500-600 rounds per day is the norm,I can easily switch back to the dhs handguard if necessary.