PDA

View Full Version : Before you buy Aimpont, Check your eye sights

Skang
12-29-10, 14:54
I just received Aimpoint T1. I was so happy to see the package.

I opened and put battery. Turn the knob, nothing shows up till when i dialed to "6" barely.

What made me shock was, It's not even a dot. It was long skinny oval shape, also looks like bunch of lined tangled together.:mad:

Edit: *sorry Aimpoint, looks like my eyes were not for this optic.* lol

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/2d558d5b.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/e9f09ba7.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/f2e7533f.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/c5866747.jpg

DPB
12-29-10, 14:58
I don't have a T-1 in front of me, but if I recall correctly, the first five positions are the night vision settings.

CC556
12-29-10, 15:00
I can't comment on the tangled line thing, but as DPB said the first few settings are NV settings, and you won't be able to see them in daylight.

d90king
12-29-10, 15:00
The first settings are for NV I think its 6 or 7 when you should have a good dot. Nothing wrong with your optic.

armakraut
12-29-10, 15:01
The first settings are night-vision only on the T1.

Do you have an astigmatism?

Skang
12-29-10, 15:17
Right, I forgot about T1 had NV settings. I was mad my focus was on the dot sight.

No, My visions are fine.

cj5_dude
12-29-10, 15:20
The first settings are night vision as has been beat to death already, so calm your horses a little.

Second, do a test on the dot. Turn it on to a good setting where you can see it, maybe 7, and look at the dot. You say it's oblong. Rotate the sight around the axis of the dot in a complete circle. Does the oblong shape rotate with the sight or does it stay oriented the same way the entire time?

If the oblong doesn't rotate as the sight rotates then guess what, it's your human eyes and not the mechanical sight.

You didn't get ripped off, the sight sounds to be performing as it's supposed to. Calm down a little and you'll be alright. If you didn't want a night vision compatible sight that would start working right at 1 then you want an H-1.

AndrewS
12-29-10, 15:27
Any chance you could post a pic of the dot?

MTechnik
12-29-10, 15:28
It could be that you have astigmatism and most optics will make some kind of anomaly. Try focusing past the dot, focusing on the target - that should help a bit.

kdcgrohl
12-29-10, 15:35
Looks legit to me. Not sure about the dot shape.

calvin118
12-29-10, 15:38
My guess is it has something to do with your vision... do you wear corrective lenses?

Hmac
12-29-10, 15:42
My T-1 has a kidney-bean shaped dot too, but it's bothersome only with a magnifier. At appropriate light settings and without a magnifier it looks fine and works fine.

C4IGrant
12-29-10, 15:44
Position 6 for a daylight visible dot is right.

The starburst type shape is also correct.

Take the optic outside. Adjust the dot to where you can just see it. Put the dot on a target around or over 25yds. Concentrate on the target. The dot will have a more uniformed look to it.

The two biggest errors Aimpoint owners make is looking at the dot inside and turning the dot up too bright.

C4

Skang
12-29-10, 15:55
I thought my eyes were normal.

This is pretty much what i see.:laugh: further i put my optic, it's gets bigger.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/5c7356d6.jpg

C4IGrant
12-29-10, 15:57
I thought my eyes were normal.

This is pretty much what i see.:laugh: further i put my optic, it's gets bigger.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/5c7356d6.jpg

A lot people have astigmatism and don't realize it.

C4

Skang
12-29-10, 16:09
I guess, Because i just remembered i had cheap red dot and it was like that too. :laugh:

i guess, i will return it and fix my eyes.:(

C4IGrant
12-29-10, 16:19
I guess, Because i just remembered i had cheap red dot and it was like that too. :laugh:

i guess, i will return it and fix my eyes.:(

Some options for you.

The Trijicon Reflex, RMR (dual illumination), Accupoint and ACOG's will work with your eye issues as they are not an electronic LED.

C4

Skang
12-29-10, 16:23
Yes, looks like i have to go with 1-4x optic or Accog.

At least i know what my problem is.

Robb Jensen
12-29-10, 17:02
Another way to test if it's your eye is to take the optic off the gun. Look at the dot and slowly spin the optic to see if it changes as you turn it or if the shape of the dot pretty much seems the same even though the optic has moved.

Skang
12-29-10, 17:14
Shape stays same as i rotate the optic.

If i squint my eyes, dot gets sharp tiny red dot. lol

Looks like i need fix my eyes.

Picture with cell phone. This is what it should look like.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forum/b9dc0823.jpg

Fat Russian
12-29-10, 17:53
I had the same problem with my aimpoint set-up, even with eyeglasses the red dot appeard as a bunch of squiggly lines, and eotech was even worse, I have since replaced all my red-dots with 1-4x scopes.

FR

Skang
12-29-10, 17:57
I had the same problem with my aimpoint set-up, even with eyeglasses the red dot appeard as a bunch of squiggly lines, and eotech was even worse, I have since replaced all my red-dots with 1-4x scopes.

FR

LOL and did you fix the eyes yet?:D

BTW: Out line letters "AIMPOINT" is engraved?

armakraut
12-29-10, 21:52
RMR dual-illumination is GTG.

PatrolRifleGroup
12-29-10, 22:20
The first settings are night-vision only on the T1.

Do you have an astigmatism?

I'm going to second this one. My eyes developed a slight astigmatism after lasik. Consequently, the aimpoint dot looks more like a blob to me, especially under magnification. Not enough to turn me off of it though, I still love all three that I own.

ucrt
12-29-10, 22:41

I have an astigmatism, most of the time the dot looks like a comma to me. But I wouldn't trade my T-1 for anything. I just shoot it and for me, I get some pretty impressive groups for a RCS (red comma sight). a month or two, I shot at a 16" bullseye target I made at 200-yards and had a 30-round 8" group.

I've found that if I use the same brightest portion of the comma, I do OK. First impression viewing through it wasn't impressive but shooting it sure is. Turning the brightness down helps a lot.

But that's me and my old eyes, ymmv.

Belmont31R
12-29-10, 23:16
Just a suggestion but try shooting it on a range. Every RDS type optic I have ever had looks like that indoors. Outside they look like nice round dots. I have an astigmatism and it really helps being outside in natural light.

Indoors they all look like lines/ovals. Im not sure if its a distance thing or a natural light thing but don't use your indoor usage to judge it. If you take it outside, do some both eyes open shooting, and if it still looks like crap then your eyes are just too messed up.

El Gato
12-29-10, 23:52
I have horrible vision... left eye is 20/240 corrected...right is 20/20 corrected ... at 51 iron sights are ok.. but not great...

put an aimpoint m4s on my ar and went to thunder ranch for mid range rifle course last spring... had a great time and hit stuff way out there... .

in the daylight, dial it down to the smallest dot for accuracy .. larger for fast...

by the way.. at 100 yds...using my left eye.. cause Clint has this problem which you can only solve shooting left handed...I was able to hit an ipsc target 4 out of 5 times with my blind eye using the aimpoint...I am personally ... sold on the sight...

Skang
12-30-10, 01:10
I don't know how outdoor will change the vision/shape but, I will give a try tomorrow. :)

Iraq Ninja
12-30-10, 02:22
I have astigmatism and have a similar problem. It was corrected by prescription glasses. I brought the micro aimpoint to the eye doc and she adjusted my prescription so that the dot was perfect.

I am sticking with the micro because there is no other optic like it, especially for AK based weapons.

Fat Russian
12-30-10, 08:25
That's an excellent idea, I wish I had thought of that. I hadn't really considered a microdot due to my astigmatism ( they can never seem to get my glasses just right) but I hadn't thought to take the red dot to the doctor, that's good thinking.

FR

ucrt
12-30-10, 09:34
I have astigmatism and have a similar problem. It was corrected by prescription glasses. I brought the micro aimpoint to the eye doc and she adjusted my prescription so that the dot was perfect.

I am sticking with the micro because there is no other optic like it, especially for AK based weapons.

==========================================

I brought my RDS with me for an exam but my Dr. said my eyes weren't correctable. He told me some astigmatisms are correctable and some aren't but it is definitely worth checking.