PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Pages : 1 [2] 3

cqbdriver
02-06-11, 17:59
Thanks for the info on the Safari Ching sling. I tried the rifle again this weekend with the regular Ching sling. I think on a rifle with a flush magazine, the Ching sling wouldn't get in the way when carrying, but on the Ruger, it definitely interferes. I may try the Safari out.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-06-11, 18:03
Somebody needs to put an accupoint on one of those.

Jake'sDad
02-06-11, 19:32
Somebody needs to put an accupoint on one of those.

That's exactly my plan. Hopefully with a mount that will allow the rear sight to stay on.

Should be just about perfect for this rifle.

Which reticle?

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-06-11, 23:19
I am sure I will get frowns but I think the german reticle with the green dot. That should allow you to do some ranging and precision work. And for charging hippo the German reticle should do.

Jake'sDad
02-07-11, 00:48
I am sure I will get frowns but I think the german reticle with the green dot. That should allow you to do some ranging and precision work. And for charging hippo the German reticle should do.

That's exactly what I've been thinking about. I have the red post in a TR24, and for a 300 yard carbine I think it makes a lot of sense. But for a .308, maybe that German reticle might be a better choice.

What do you think about using a TR21 instead of a TR24 for the longer eye relief?

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-07-11, 06:21
I think there is some merit there also.

J-Dub
02-07-11, 08:25
I got the Ruger 5rd mag & Andy's Leather Ching Sling in. I really like the more compact 5rd mag for carrying around.

I mounted an Aimpoint H-1 & took the rifle out to my hunting land. I didn't do much carrying around because we had work to do. I did sight in the aimpoint & try out the sling.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GSR_Sling.jpg

Thats a sharp, versatile rifle. Looks like ruger might have hit a homerun with this rifle.

Now if they would offer it in different calibers....say .243 or 6.8

RiflemanBobcat
02-07-11, 11:11
Thats a sharp, versatile rifle. Looks like ruger might have hit a homerun with this rifle.

Now if they would offer it in different calibers....say .243 or 6.8

For what it's worth, I'd add 7mm-08 to the list...just because I like the caliber, and if I had the dough, I'd jump on such a rifle pretty quick.

Jake'sDad
02-07-11, 12:24
For what it's worth, I'd add 7mm-08 to the list...just because I like the caliber, and if I had the dough, I'd jump on such a rifle pretty quick.

Well, at least that could be accomplished fairly easy with a re-barrel.

okie john
02-07-11, 12:40
Well, at least that could be accomplished fairly easy with a re-barrel.

Rebarrel yes, easy no. Check out Picture #9 on Post #185. The new barrel has to match the old barrel's exterior profile to fit the stock and for the scope-mounting hardware to work right. That's gonna be expensive and not a lot of guys are willing to attempt the work.

Okie John

Jake'sDad
02-07-11, 13:02
Rebarrel yes, easy no. Check out Picture #9 on Post #185. The new barrel has to match the old barrel's exterior profile to fit the stock and for the scope-mounting hardware to work right. That's gonna be expensive and not a lot of guys are willing to attempt the work.

Okie John

Guess you'd have to measure it to see if the profile was that different at the action end than a standard M77.

okie john
02-07-11, 13:17
Guess you'd have to measure it to see if the profile was that different at the action end than a standard M77.

They're probably the same there, but the Scout barrel has a double taper.

Okie John

Jake'sDad
02-07-11, 14:01
They're probably the same there, but the Scout barrel has a double taper.

Okie John

I'm not a gunsmith, but wouldn't that be free floated out there?

okie john
02-08-11, 10:30
I'm not a gunsmith, but wouldn't that be free floated out there?

Hard to say. You'd have to compare it to a stock barrel side by side. And even if it fit, you'd have some ugly gaps in the stock to deal with.

Okie John

Jake'sDad
02-08-11, 11:03
Hard to say. You'd have to compare it to a stock barrel side by side. And even if it fit, you'd have some ugly gaps in the stock to deal with.

Okie John

I'll try dropping my M77 action into the Scout stock when I get it.

40Arpent
02-09-11, 08:47
I am having a hard time finding low-mount, QD, picatinny-compatible 1" scope rings to mount my Burris Scout scope. Anybody have any helpful advice?

Thanks,
Pete

cqbdriver
02-09-11, 10:38
I'm not sure if these are picatinny-compatible, but they're instock.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/3954-qrw-rings-qrw-rings-1-mb-low-height-leupold.html

ETA: I missed this in description: "Weaver-Style"

Rosco Benson
02-09-11, 11:34
I am having a hard time finding low-mount, QD, picatinny-compatible 1" scope rings to mount my Burris Scout scope. Anybody have any helpful advice?
Thanks,
Pete

LaRue makes the LT719 rings;

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=365

Pricey though and 30mm. You would need the 1" reducers.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=24

Pretty spendy by the time you're done.

Rosco

Jake'sDad
02-09-11, 11:54

Thanks,
Pete

Have you mounted it up with the Ruger rings to try it out yet?

EDIT: Brain Fart. Those won't work for the Scout Scope.

skipper49
02-09-11, 11:59
I just bought a pair of the Leupold QRW rings in the Brownells link above to mount my Leupold 2 X 20 EER scope on Scout. They ARE Weaver style, but of course work fine on a Picatinny rail. Mounted up tight and solid, AND, leaves my irons intact in case I need them.

Skip

BTW: I used the lowest rings and they are PERFECT height. With my Butler Creek covers on, I can JUST slip a piece of paper between the eyepiece and rail.

40Arpent
02-09-11, 16:00
cqb, thanks for the link!

Skipper, thanks for the info and confirmation! I mistakenly thought that there were dimensional differences between picatinny and weaver that made them incompatible.

Huge help, thanks fellas.

Pete

40Arpent
02-09-11, 16:02
LaRue makes the LT719 rings

Thanks Rosco....yeah, those are a bit more than I was wanting for this setup (though I do have tons of $ in LaRue gear on my ARs).

40Arpent
02-09-11, 16:30
I'm not sure if these are picatinny-compatible, but they're instock.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/3954-qrw-rings-qrw-rings-1-mb-low-height-leupold.html

ETA: I missed this in description: "Weaver-Style"

Brownells price = $88, Midway = $55. Wow.

cqbdriver
02-09-11, 16:46
Yea, without discount Brownells suxs.

Discount price - $51.59

skipper49
02-09-11, 16:50
cqb, thanks for the link!

Skipper, thanks for the info and confirmation! I mistakenly thought that there were dimensional differences between picatinny and weaver that made them incompatible.

Huge help, thanks fellas.

Pete

Pete, while I've used Weaver mounts on Picatinny rails several times, I don't think you can use Picatinny rings on Weaver mounts. Different width of the cross-bolt.

Skip

skipper49
02-09-11, 16:55

Discount price - $51.59

You are correct. Between Midways big catalog, and Brownells catalog, if you can't find it you probably don't need it! BUT, it sure does pay to shop. Sometime one will be cheaper, sometime the other. Both are first class folks to deal with.

Skip

Jake'sDad
02-09-11, 17:12
Unboxed mine today. Feels lighter than it is, and lighter than than I remembered from SHOT. Trigger's got a bit more creep than I'd like, but I can take care of that. It's a good feeling rifle overall.

Now to try a extended mount on it backwards with an accupoint. Wish me luck!

skipper49
02-09-11, 18:06
Unboxed mine today. Feels lighter than it is, and lighter than than I remembered from SHOT. Trigger's got a bit more creep than I'd like, but I can take care of that. It's a good feeling rifle overall.

Now to try a extended mount on it backwards with an accupoint. Wish me luck!

REALLY want to see a picture of that when you get her set up.

Skip

cqbdriver
02-09-11, 18:25
I got the Alpha mag in today. http://alphaindmfg.com/products.html

Looks good
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Rifle_Alpha_mag.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/3_mags.jpg

Only one problem - didn't fit! It wouldn't latch in the back. Too much material in the back.
Alpha mag:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Alpha_before.jpg
Ruger factory mag:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Ruger_mag.jpg

I slowly filed it down & now it fits & cycles rounds properly:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Alpha_after.jpg

If it works properly, I like its more compact size. It is stainless steel according to their website. Finish is similar to Durcoat or Gunkote

ETA: I have been in contact with Alpha Industries about my problem. They said that several other GSR owners were able to use their magazine with no modifications.

On another forum, a person noticed that the serial number prefix changed on the GSR. They did have the same as the standard M77's (711-XXXXX). Newer GSR's have 680-XXXXX (I believe). They said that this indicates the GSR receiver is now different in some way from the standard M77 that it needed a unique serial number. My GSR has the older 711-xxxxx serial number.

40Arpent
02-10-11, 07:14

Discount price - $51.59

Didn't know about a discount. <shrug>

40Arpent
02-10-11, 07:15
Pete, while I've used Weaver mounts on Picatinny rails several times, I don't think you can use Picatinny rings on Weaver mounts. Different width of the cross-bolt.

Skip

Thanks Skip, much appreciated.

Jake'sDad
02-10-11, 09:24

Skip

Just looked at another forum and someone has pics up of theirs with an ADM backwards and a 3-9 scope in it, so it looks promising at least. I'll let you know on the accupoint. I have a TR24, but if that doesn't come back far enough, I'll see if a TR21 would work.

Tokarev
02-10-11, 17:41
Mine's here. I picked it up this afternoon.

Initial impressions are good. The bolt works smoothly. The trigger's light and crisp with minimal creep at take up. The mag loads easily and seats without undo effort.

Nice rifle. I'm looking forward to getting some rounds through it.

Jake'sDad
02-10-11, 17:53

Skip

Threw a Larue M4 standard mount I had on it for grins.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/JakesDad1000/Scoutwlarue.jpg

Doesn't bring it back quite far enough, and it would definitely need a cheekpiece to get the height right. But I'm convinced this would be the way to go once I figure out which mount.

skipper49
02-10-11, 20:09
Don't know if my pix will work here or not, but if they do I wanted to show you how neatly my "low" Leupold QRW rings mount my Leupold 2x20 EER. Cheek-weld is excellent.
BTW Jake'sDad, I think you are on the right track with a conventional scope with a rear-facing rail, to preserve the rear sight if you can just get it low enough not to need a cheek piece. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Skip

Jake'sDad
02-10-11, 21:38
Don't know if my pix will work here or not, but if they do I wanted to show you how neatly my "low" Leupold QRW rings mount my Leupold 2x20 EER. Cheek-weld is excellent.
BTW Jake'sDad, I think you are on the right track with a conventional scope with a rear-facing rail, to preserve the rear sight if you can just get it low enough not to need a cheek piece. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Skip

Maybe I'll post in the optics and mounts forum and see if anyone has a suggestion.

deadduck357
02-11-11, 01:41
Mine's here. I picked it up this afternoon.

Initial impressions are good. The bolt works smoothly. The trigger's light and crisp with minimal creep at take up. The mag loads easily and seats without undo effort.

Nice rifle. I'm looking forward to getting some rounds through it.

Looking forward to hearing what you think after shooting.

40Arpent
02-11-11, 12:14

Looks great Skip, exactly what I am hoping for with mine with the Burris Scout scope....just waiting on my rings to show up.

-Pete

Jake'sDad
02-11-11, 13:30

Skip

Found this chart courtesy of Luke_Y.

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

Looks like all the QR AR extended mounts are close to the same height.

So unless I can come up with another idea, I'm going to have to use a stock pack/cheek piece.

Tokarev
02-15-11, 15:41
ETA: I have been in contact with Alpha Industries about my problem. They said that several other GSR owners were able to use their magazine with no modifications.

On another forum, a person noticed that the serial number prefix changed on the GSR. They did have the same as the standard M77's (711-XXXXX). Newer GSR's have 680-XXXXX (I believe). They said that this indicates the GSR receiver is now different in some way from the standard M77 that it needed a unique serial number. My GSR has the older 711-xxxxx serial number.

I have been in contact with Alpha Industries about my problem. They said that several other GSR owners were able to use their magazine with no modifications. In another post, a person noticed that the serial number prefix changed on the GSR. The first rifles have the same serial # as the standard M77's (711-XXXXX). Newer GSR's have 680-XXXXX. They said that this indicates the GSR receiver is now different in some way from the standard M77 that it needed a unique serial number. My GSR has the older 711-xxxxx serial number. If there is anyone else with a Alpha mag, did it fit & what serial prefix did your rifle have?

I spoke to someone at Ruger and there is absolutely no difference between the receivers of different prefixes. The second, later prefix, was started simply to make unique serial numbers available for collectors. This allowed Ruger to start over with low serial numbers.

cqbdriver
02-15-11, 18:18
As mentioned THR, thanks for the information on the prefixes.

If anyone else gets an Alpha mag, let me know how it fits in your GSR.

cqbdriver
02-15-11, 18:37
Here is an excellent review of the GSR:
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=tf3sf1co7phoufeql5ippbjkn5&topic=785.0

Jake'sDad
02-15-11, 21:11
Here is an excellent review of the GSR:
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=tf3sf1co7phoufeql5ippbjkn5&topic=785.0

Thanks for posting that!

Got two of the Armalite scope mounts today, a 1" and a 30MM. They appear to be the lowest somewhat extended mount I could find. Going to try the reverse idea with the TR24, not really expecting it to extend it back far enough, but maybe the 1" will work with a TR21.

cqbdriver
02-18-11, 14:41
I took the GSR out to the range to try the Aimpoint H-1, Hornady 155 TAP & the Alpha mag.

Using the H-1 with Hornady 155 TAP off of a bench, I got 1.75” at 100 yds (using a bullseye target slightly larger than red dot – just aligned the circles. Without the right size bullseye to line up the dot, probably would be a larger group).

The Alpha mag work great. Two interesting things about the mag:
- You don’t have to load it like the Ruger factory mags (one hand pushing down on the rear of the round already in the mag then pushing down & to the rear with the new round). You can load the Alpha like a high-cap pistol mag (don’t have to push down on the rear of the round already in mag).
-The 10-rd Alpha mag will easy fit 11 rounds with room to spare.

Even though I had to modify the Alpha mag to fit, I will probably get at least one more because I like its more compact size.

Jake'sDad
02-18-11, 21:05
I took the GSR out to the range to try the Aimpoint H-1, Hornady 155 TAP & the Alpha mag.

Using the H-1 with Hornady 155 TAP off of a bench, I got 1.75” at 100 yds (using a bullseye target slightly larger than red dot – just aligned the circles. Without the right size bullseye to line up the dot, probably would be a larger group).

The Alpha mag work great. Two interesting things about the mag:
- You don’t have to load it like the Ruger factory mags (one hand pushing down on the rear of the round already in the mag then pushing down & to the rear with the new round). You can load the Alpha like a high-cap pistol mag (don’t have to push down on the rear of the round already in mag).
-The 10-rd Alpha mag will easy fit 11 rounds with room to spare.

Even though I had to modify the Alpha mag to fit, I will probably get at least one more because I like its more compact size.

Good info. And good shooting with a 4 MOA dot!

As far as magazines, a good source has told me we'll soon see a much less expensive alternative magazine, from a quality manufacturer that I think we'll be very happy with.

Jake'sDad
02-18-11, 21:11
Also, I tried the Armalite 30mm mount today with my TR24. As I suspected, it doesn't bring it back quite far enough, but it's very close, and the height is much better, probably usable as is, or possibly with a small cheek piece.

The 1" version should be just right with a TR21 with it's longer eye relief.

Now to go get one.

cqbdriver
02-19-11, 07:12
As far as magazines, a good source has told me we'll soon see a much less expensive alternative magazine, from a quality manufacturer that I think we'll be very happy with.

I hope it begins with a "P" ends with a "MAG" :D

If you look at the schematic in the owner's manual, it appears to show a polymer mag. It may not mean anything – the draftsman may just have needed something for the illustration or an early prototype Ruger designed mag.

Tokarev
02-19-11, 07:16

If you look at the schematic in the owner's manual, it appears to show a polymer mag. It may not mean anything – the draftsman may just have needed something for the illustration or an early prototype Ruger designed mag.

2nd page about halfway down. DD357 mentions that Ruger is working on a polymer magazine for the Scout.

Tokarev
02-19-11, 09:38
Here's my new Scout with the XS Sight Systems prototype rail and Leupold MR/T scope. The mount is the lowest offered by ADM. It's close to good but is just a smidgen too high for my taste.

On the plus side, the slightly elevated height does provide more clearance between the scope and the bolt handle. This would be good when using thick gloves or for getting maximum leverage to eject a stuck case or something like that.

I'd still like the scope to sit a little lower and am going to try some low and medium Leupold QD rings on the XS rail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010592.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010593.jpg

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 10:29

You never know...;)

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 10:34
Here's my new Scout with the XS Sight Systems prototype rail and Leupold MR/T scope. The mount is the lowest offered by ADM. It's close to good but is just a smidgen too high for my taste.

On the plus side, the slightly elevated height does provide more clearance between the scope and the bolt handle. This would be good when using thick gloves or for getting maximum leverage to eject a stuck case or something like that.

I'd still like the scope to sit a little lower and am going to try some low and medium Leupold QD rings on the XS rail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010593.jpg

Is that little nub the rear peep?

Any word on it being put into production? That would solve my TR24 problems. I'd try the Leupold QD's as well.

Tokarev
02-19-11, 11:00

Yes. It looks like the same aperture that ships with the Scout but it doesn't have the protective wings. It adjusts in the same manner as the Ruger rear.

Any word on it being put into production? That would solve my TR24 problems. I'd try the Leupold QD's as well.

I need to get with Dave from XS Sights again and get some information on the official release. The extended rail is a nice item and adds a good amount of versatility to the rifle. It should be a good seller.

cqbdriver
02-19-11, 12:06
I really like the XS prototype rail. I haven't found a scout scope that fit my needs & this opens the possibilities without lossing the rear iron sight.

I was hoping the new variable Leupold scout would work, but I hear that the eye relief may be too short. I also would like low light capability.

Keep us updated when the rail will be available & how the low Leupold rings work.

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 12:13
Yes. It looks like the same aperture that ships with the Scout but it doesn't have the protective wings. It adjusts in the same manner as the Ruger rear.

I need to get with Dave from XS Sights again and get some information on the official release. The extended rail is a nice item and adds a good amount of versatility to the rifle. It should be a good seller.

Great, let us know!

I really like the XS prototype rail. I haven't found a scout scope that fit my needs & this opens the possibilities without lossing the rear iron sight.

I was hoping the new variable Leupold scout would work, but I hear that the eye relief may be too short. I also would like low light capability.

Keep us updated when the rail will be available & how the low Leupold rings work.

TR24 should be about perfect for it.

Tokarev
02-19-11, 12:18

I have one of the Leupold variable power scopes on order. My credit card has been charged and I'm hoping that means the scope will be shipping shortly.

The variable power scope is a 1" tube and doesn't have an illuminated reticle. Also, it looks pretty long from the pictures I've seen. Still, I want to mount it and see how it works.

Another good option, I think, is the Nikon Monarch African with the illuminated reticle. But I'm getting way too much money tied up in experimental optics. I don't think my wife will stand for much more.

Tokarev
02-19-11, 19:55

Here's a better view of the rear sight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010558.jpg

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 20:05
Here's a better view of the rear sight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010558.jpg

Thanks! That looks like it will work just fine.

I'm going to hold off for it then. Hopefully they'll release it soon.

Tokarev
02-21-11, 16:01
I don't know if any of Ruger's staff shot anything with one of the prototypes but I'm going to take credit for the nation's first confirmed kill using the GSR! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMjIxLTAwMDQ4LmpwZw.jpg

deadduck357
02-22-11, 00:26

Looks GREAT, nice wood also.

cqbdriver
02-22-11, 04:47
I don't know if any of Ruger's staff shot anything with one of the prototypes but I'm going to take credit for the nation's first confirmed kill using the GSR! :D

Congratulations on 1st confirmed kill. That is as big as some of our deer in Georgia.

However, not disappoint you, but I had my 1st kill two weeks ago. A spider was on my shooting bench & I smashed it with my buttstock. My wife was a witness even though she was running away at the time.

On a side note - on scoutrifle.org, a member wrote Trijicon & ask them to make a scout scope. They wrote back they were interested & may do it. However, I'll probably be on my 2nd scout rifle by the time that they release it.

Tokarev
02-22-11, 06:44
Congratulations on 1st confirmed kill. That is as big as some of our deer in Georgia.

However, not disappoint you, but I had my 1st kill two weeks ago. A spider was on my shooting bench & I smashed it with my buttstock. My wife was a witness even though she was running away at the time.

On a side note - on scoutrifle.org, a member wrote Trijicon & ask them to make a scout scope. They wrote back they were interested & may do it. However, I'll probably be on my 2nd scout rifle by the time that they release it.

I should have said, "The first confirmed kill by actually shooting something!":cool:

Good news about a scout scope. I find the choice of optics to really be the limiting factor to the whole platform. Optically, we're in the same boat the Colonel was when he came up with the concept, more or less. Running a 2x or 3x scope on a .308 makes for some fast hits up closer but doesn't offer enough magnification to take advantage of the .308's longer range capabilities.

Somebody needs to make a 30mm long eye relief scope in a variable power format from 1x-6x or thereabouts. While we're at it, an illuminated reticle would be a nice choice.

Swarovski's Z6i EE offers these features but it's priced at close to $2,000!!!

40Arpent
02-22-11, 13:09
Finally got a chance to wring my GSR out this past weekend, after mounting the Burris 2.75x scout scope using Leupold QRW rings (low). With a buddy of mine (much better shooter than I am) behind the trigger, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady 168gr AMAX were right at 1.75 inches. More than happy with that.

8th
02-22-11, 17:30
Good news about a scout scope. I find the choice of optics to really be the limiting factor to the whole platform. Optically, we're in the same boat the Colonel was when he came up with the concept, more or less. Running a 2x or 3x scope on a .308 makes for some fast hits up closer but doesn't offer enough magnification to take advantage of the .308's longer range capabilities.

Somebody needs to make a 30mm long eye relief scope in a variable power format from 1x-6x or thereabouts. While we're at it, an illuminated reticle would be a nice choice.

Burris, Leupold, and Nikon do last I checked. I personally have been using a burris 2-7 for awhile now with good results.

Tokarev
02-22-11, 18:26
Here's Leupold's 1.5-4x28 EER.

The scope's ocular bell covers about the first 1/3 of the ejection port. If I move the scope forward for more clearance, I can't see through the scope when set on 4x.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMjIyLTAwMDUwLmpwZw.jpg

cqbdriver
02-22-11, 18:35
I personally have been using a burris 2-7 for awhile now with good results.

Is this the "Burris Handgun 2-7x32mm Illuminated Scopes w/ Electro-Dot Reticle?" I can only find it listed on opticsplanet. I can't even find it on Burris's website.

Are you using on a rifle or handgun? Some have mentioned parallax issues with using handgun scopes on scout rifles. I think that they said many handgun scopes have the parallax set for 50 yds.

G19dude
02-22-11, 22:13
Here is a link to the Ruger Spec Sheet

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6803.html

Retail says 995.00 but I someone on the tread said buds has them for 720.00 I have also seen them at a local FFL in Pa for about the same.

I was on Ruger's Shopruger website and found the 10 round mags for 70.00 each. I just went back on today and could not find them. I hope once the newness wears off the price for a mag drops.

Does anyone know if the Mags are Ruger exclusive like the mini 14?

USG
02-22-11, 22:13
This would be great in 6.8 ruger has everything to do it the round is perfect for all purpose and the 16 inch barrel. I would order one the day it came out.:big_boss::big_boss::big_boss::big_boss::big_boss:

+1

I can live with the flawed AI magazine, if Ruger did it in 6.8 SPC and got rid of the annoying Gunsite logo.

cqbdriver
02-23-11, 04:57
I was on Ruger's Shopruger website and found the 10 round mags for 70.00 each. I just went back on today and could not find them. I hope once the newness wears off the price for a mag drops.

Does anyone know if the Mags are Ruger exclusive like the mini 14?

The mags are still showing up for me http://shopruger.com/Bolt-Action-Magazines/products/559/
If you register your GSR with Ruger, you get a 20% at the shopruger.com.

The mags are not Ruger’s design. They are Accuracy International Magazine Accuracy International Chassis System (AICS) mags. The current ones coming from Ruger are made by Accurate-Mag. C-Products also makes AICS mags. Along with Alpha Industries. A polymer mag is supposedly coming out soon.

mark5pt56
02-23-11, 08:29
If you guys are having problems with the aftermarket mags or don't wish to be aggravated by sub standard aftermarket ones, etc just do yourself a favor and just spend the money on the real ones.

G19dude
02-23-11, 10:04
My biggest concern is whether Ruger took the pains to actually produce a good chamber or if they are using the same specs and reamers as for their other line of rifles..?

I am not on the up and up with Ruger can you tell me more about this. Was there issues?

Jake'sDad
02-24-11, 10:47
If you guys are having problems with the aftermarket mags or don't wish to be aggravated by sub standard aftermarket ones, etc just do yourself a favor and just spend the money on the real ones.

Or wait for the less expensive polymer ones to be released.

8th
02-24-11, 11:35
Is this the "Burris Handgun 2-7x32mm Illuminated Scopes w/ Electro-Dot Reticle?" I can only find it listed on opticsplanet. I can't even find it on Burris's website.

Are you using on a rifle or handgun? Some have mentioned parallax issues with using handgun scopes on scout rifles. I think that they said many handgun scopes have the parallax set for 50 yds.

Mine is a Burris 2-7x32mm with ballistic plex, but it is not illuminated. (http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x32-Handgun-Scope-P1833.aspx). To date I have used one on a M1a (both socom and scout), a custom bolt gun, and a BLR. At this point I only have the bolt gun, and the one scope on it. They list it as a handgun scope, but it works fine on rifles. I haven't had any issues with parallax for it at all. I have owned two over the years and my brother has one. I have shot it out to 550 with no issues on steel and at 100 and 200yds can keep ~1 moa groups with my current rifle and two of the three I owned previously. I am not a huge fan of the posi-lock and feel like the Leupold IER 2.5 has a bit better clarity and light gathering. At this point I would probably try the new leupold 1-4 over another Burris to see if they have the same characteristics as the 2.5.

cqbdriver
02-24-11, 12:10
8th - Thanks for the info on the scope

I found this on the TOS (I admit it, I go there too). I don't know the company or their products. However, they have AICS mag pouches & rifle stock pack.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Large-Rifle-Stock-Pack.html

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Single-5-Round-AICS-AW-Magazine-Pouch.html

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Double-10-Round-AI-Short-Action-Magazine-Pouch.html (http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Double-10-Round-AI-Short-Action-Magazine-Pouch.html)

JMEL
02-24-11, 16:04

I found this on the TOS (I admit it, I go there too). I don't know the company or their products. However, they have AICS mag pouches & rifle stock pack.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Single-5-Round-AICS-AW-Magazine-Pouch.html

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Double-10-Round-AI-Short-Action-Magazine-Pouch.html (http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Double-10-Round-AI-Short-Action-Magazine-Pouch.html)

I like that one in the first link. Thanks for the info.

JMEL

Tokarev
02-25-11, 15:53
I talked to Chris from Alpha Industries Manufacturing this morning about using his Type 1 mags in the GSR. He told me that he's identified the slight tolerance issue with the rear spine and is having his magazines modified. The modified magazines will be shipping next week and should be 100% compatible in the Scout.

:cool:

cqbdriver
02-26-11, 07:26
Thanks for the info on the Alpha mags. Since I modded my Alpha mag to fit in the GSR, I only had a chance to take it to the range twice, but it worked fine. I definitely like the smaller size.

The finish is similar to gunkote & is already showing some wear, but since I didn't buy it for looks, it not an issue for me.

I would like to see what the new polymer mags looks like.

Tokarev
02-26-11, 08:09
Thanks for the info on the Alpha mags. Since I modded my Alpha mag to fit in the GSR, I only had a chance to take it to the range twice, but it worked fine. I definitely like the smaller size.

The finish is similar to gunkote & is already showing some wear, but since I didn't buy it for looks, it not an issue for me.

I would like to see what the new polymer mags looks like.

I am curious about the polymer mags as well. But I would want to see something that can withstand being dropped and abused without cracking, etc. Hopefully the plastic mags can be made thick enough to take some rough handling.

I have a couple of the Alpha mags on order and will report about fitment ASAP.

40Arpent
03-03-11, 09:12
Here's Leupold's 1.5-4x28 EER.

The scope's ocular bell covers about the first 1/3 of the ejection port. If I move the scope forward for more clearance, I can't see through the scope when set on 4x.

A recent issue of Shotgun News compares the Burris and Leupold scout scopes as mounted on the GSR. The author states that with the Leupold mounted as far rearward as possible (conventional rings and OEM picatinny rail), he couldn't go above 1.8x. :(

Jake'sDad
03-03-11, 11:13
I am curious about the polymer mags as well. But I would want to see something that can withstand being dropped and abused without cracking, etc. Hopefully the plastic mags can be made thick enough to take some rough handling.

If my source is correct, the manufacturer that will be making them for Ruger is one that shouldn't be an issue with.

Tokarev
03-03-11, 14:20
A recent issue of Shotgun News compares the Burris and Leupold scout scopes as mounted on the GSR. The author states that with the Leupold mounted as far rearward as possible (conventional rings and OEM picatinny rail), he couldn't go above 1.8x. :(
I have my Leupold mounted so that it covers about half the ejection port but I could move it back another 3/4" or so. I am using the Ruger factory mount and Leupold QD rings. In its current spot the scope is about as far forward as it'll go and still allow me to use it on 4x.

In Leupold's defense I don't think this scope is designed for "scout" applications. I think it is probably made for use on a hard kicking rifle to put the scope out a little more to avoid getting whacked in the brow.

Rob Haught
03-04-11, 08:19

If you are referring to Triad Tactical, they are an outstanding company run by a full time SWAT Sniper from a large Midwestern agency. Known him for years and have done business with Triad many times. Top shelf. Rob

mark5pt56
03-04-11, 19:24
If you are referring to Triad Tactical, they are an outstanding company run by a full time SWAT Sniper from a large Midwestern agency. Known him for years and have done business with Triad many times. Top shelf. Rob

Big plus for Triad, purchase alot of things from them and always quick on shipping, etc.

Also, take a look at the Borka Torque tool, get the whole kit, it's well worth it.

Of course, Triad is the dealer for them.

Tokarev
03-05-11, 10:01
I have had a brief email exchange with John Wu of Hi-Lux optics regarding the currently available LER scopes. I told him that I'd like to see a scout/LER version of the 1-4 CMR with slightly higher magnification at the top end of five or six power. I would also like to see the scope retain the illumination feature and have a reticle dedicated specifically to 150gr or 147gr .308 from a 16" barrel. Anyway, Mr. Wu was kind enough to send my one of his 2-7x32mm scout scopes to try.

I ran the GSR today with irons as well as with the Leupold and the Hi-Lux scout scope. Both scopes are very similar in overall length and size but the Hi-Lux scope feels slightly heavier. Optically, the Chinese scope is bright and clear and compares well with the Leupold. The Hi-Lux has a finer set of crosshairs and is easier to use on paper but I do note that the Leupold's crosshairs seem a little sharper, darker and more defined. Also, the Leupold's adjustments move more freely and the magnification ring turns smoother. Not that the Hi-Lux scope is bad, by any means, but the magnification ring does feel a little draggy.

Both optics seem right at home on top of the gun and I shot some decent groups using both scopes. But, based on versatility and magnification range alone, I think I have to give the nod to the Hi-Lux. I like the idea of being able to leave the scope on 2x for shooting close targets and shooting offhand, etc. I also like that I can crank the magnification up to 7x for shooting off the bench or when a stable rest is available. The Leupold's 4x setting is limiting in this regard, in my opinion. Another nice thing about the Hi-Lux is that there's no radical change in eye relief like with the Leupold when adjusting magnification.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010649.jpg

cqbdriver
03-08-11, 06:34
I got a Hi-Lux 2-7x in yesterday to test out the scout scope concept. As you already stated, no problem with eye relief with it. Only negative is the weight. The rifle is starting to get hefty with this scope. The specs say that it weighs 12.3 oz. I believe the Leupold variable scout scope is 8.8 oz & the fixed is 7.5 oz.

I used the Leupold QRW low mounts. They seem to just barely grab the rail (picatinny vs weaver issue?).

Tokarev
03-08-11, 07:35
I got a Hi-Lux 2-7x in yesterday to test out the scout scope concept. As you already stated, no problem with eye relief with it. Only negative is the weight. The rifle is starting to get hefty with this scope. The specs say that it weighs 12.3 oz. I believe the Leupold variable scout scope is 8.8 oz & the fixed is 7.5 oz.

I used the Leupold QRW low mounts. They seem to just barely grab the rail (picatinny vs weaver issue?).

I haven't weighed the scopes with rings installed. It wouldn't matter anyway since my scale isn't accurate enough for this kind of measurement.

I do notice that the Leupold does feel a few ounces lighter when I hold both scopes in my hand. I'm using Leupold QRW rings on both scopes and you might be able to find a lighter set of rings someplace if you're concerned about lightening the load as much as possible.

I've not noticed any lack of "grab" with the Leupold rings. Both sets seem to bite onto the rail properly and fully.

deadduck357
03-15-11, 17:52
There are 4 new videos on Ruger's site about the GSR
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/extras.html

Tokarev
03-15-11, 17:57
There are 4 new videos on Ruger's site about the GSR

Nicely done. Good professional quality videos.

cqbdriver
03-15-11, 18:48
Here a photo of a stainless steel GSR without flash suppressor for the Australian market

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/Ruger_Gunsite_Scout

Tokarev
03-15-11, 18:52
Here a photo of a stainless steel GSR without flash suppressor for the Australian market

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/Ruger_Gunsite_Scout

I think a stainless GSR would be the heat. Adding stainless just makes sense to the idea of the One Rifle.

deadduck357
03-15-11, 18:59
Yeah that's great lookin, thread the barrel and I want one. Hopefully they will be offered here sometime.

kermit4161
03-19-11, 18:22
I'm glad I found this thread. I saw one yesterday in Cabela's and was blown away. I want!! So I'm thinking of ordering one as soon as I have all the cash saved up... next payday maybe.

It just so happens that I already have a Hi-lux 2-7 x 32 scope too... although I wish it had an illuminated reticle. I also have a Trijicon RMR I can throw on to test out... but it is a 9MOA dot, so probably won't be much past 100 yards. I was initially thinking of a NF 1-4 NXS... I like that scope and could swap it out with my AR too...

Tokarev
03-19-11, 18:30
I saw one yesterday in Cabela's and was blown away....

Where's the Cabela's in Wyoming?

In my never ending quest to find the most versatile optic, I have mounted a Swarovski Z6i EE scope. This is a very nice piece of glass and has a great amout of versatility with magnification from 1x to 6x. It does have an illuminated reticle that's visible in all but the brightest sunlight. The image is crisp and clear and color rendition is about perfect.

On the down side, the scope is a dangerous game scope with extended eye relief and not a scout scope with long eye relief. It's designed to keep you from getting whacked by the scope when mounted on something like a .375 Ouch and Ouch. The position pictured is as far forward as I can mount the scope and still get proper eye relief off the bench. For standing offhand, it wouldn't hurt to move the scope back about 1/2" but it's already back as far as it'll go with the factory rail. I might have to re-mount the XS scope rail to give me a little more room.

As you can see, the scope covers the ejection port and I had to remove the rear sight to mount it. But it still allows the bolt handle to clear and be worked quickly and freely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010687.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010682.jpg

cqbdriver
03-20-11, 17:07
That scope is getting close to what I am looking for (except for sticker shock :)). 1-6X with an illuminated reticle. I like for it to be clear of the bolt handle and I would still like to have backup sights (XS rail should solve this).

Joeywhat
03-20-11, 17:27
I'm glad I found this thread. I saw one yesterday in Cabela's and was blown away. I want!! So I'm thinking of ordering one as soon as I have all the cash saved up... next payday maybe.

It just so happens that I already have a Hi-lux 2-7 x 32 scope too... although I wish it had an illuminated reticle. I also have a Trijicon RMR I can throw on to test out... but it is a 9MOA dot, so probably won't be much past 100 yards. I was initially thinking of a NF 1-4 NXS... I like that scope and could swap it out with my AR too...

How are you liking that scope? I just picked up a Savage scout rifle and wanted a cheap adjustable power scope for it...the price is nice but I don't want complete crap, either.

jaydoc1
03-20-11, 18:49
A friend of mine who owns a gun store called and told me he just got one of these in. I went in and checked it out. I'd really like to have it. Balances well. Shoulders well. I just don't know what I would do with it. I can honestly say I don't have a need it could fill.

Shucks. :(

Tokarev
03-20-11, 18:53
I can honestly say I don't have a need it could fill.

Shucks. :(

Isn't curiosity a need that needs filling? What about just because?

pappy86
03-20-11, 19:35
I have posted before I would like one of these for my son, After reading through here it seems most people are placing scopes on in the traditional way or close to it. I have a short barreled .308 that weighs less with a 2.5-10x42 scope mounted traditionally. Has anybody shot these for accuracy yet with handloads and factory ammo. I would like to purchase one, but not if the only advantage is iron sights that dont get used much. The XS rail with built in rear sight looks neat.

jaydoc1
03-20-11, 20:09
Isn't curiosity a need that needs filling? What about just because?

I can honestly and happily say I've finally hit a point in gun ownership where I don't have enough time to shoot all the ones I have now. A few years ago I would have answered you with a resounding YES!

Now if I'm buying a gun that I'm not planning on shooting much it's because there is something very unique or safe-queenish about it. :D This gun looks like a useful tool. Just one I don't have room in my toolbox for.

Tokarev
03-20-11, 20:33
Two different groups of ten shots using Federal 175gr Gold Medal. These are off the bench at 100 yards using the Hi-Lux 2-7x32mm scope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzIwLTAwMDY3LmpwZw.jpg
This one looked good on the camera but it's hard to see here. There are several rounds in the red center aiming point. The other six or seven are about an inch under. Total group size is about 1.5"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzIwLTAwMDY4LmpwZw.jpg

pappy86
03-20-11, 21:15
thanks for the photos, were you shooting at max power? pretty decent groups. Have you weighed your rifle with scope?

Tokarev
03-20-11, 21:21
thanks for the photos, were you shooting at max power? pretty decent groups. Have you weighed your rifle with scope?

The scope was set at 7x for these. I am pleased with these groups and will try again with some 168gr match ASAP.

The rifle weighs about nine pounds loaded.

kermit4161
03-20-11, 23:03
The Cabela's I was at is in Billings, MT. I was up there for a doc's appointment and I try to stop in whenever I'm in the 'big city'.

I haven't ever had a chance to shoot my Hi-Lux. I got it with a scout scope mount for my K31... but I didn't like the idea of removing the iron sights. Before I mounted it, I replaced the iron sights with some new peep sights and like them so much I couldn't bear to take them off :rolleyes:. So I've been sitting on this Hi-Lux waiting to use it for a trade, or whatever came along. This Ruger sounds like it'd be a good fit.

I took it out the other day and played around with it some. I noticed that it has a clear image at 1x, but got fuzzy at 7x. I might need to make an adjustment or two though... it is right out of the box.

So 9lbs with ammo and scope? I've been trading posts with a guy on another forum that swears this rifle is too heavy to be considered a Scout rifle... I've been maintaining it isn't (it is only 4 oz more than the 'ideal' weight of 6.6 lbs that Copper spec'd), but I'm not too sure now. But the Hi-lux might be a tad on the heavy side too. What do you think... does it feel heavy to you?

Tokarev
03-21-11, 06:45
So 9lbs with ammo and scope? I've been trading posts with a guy on another forum that swears this rifle is too heavy to be considered a Scout rifle... I've been maintaining it isn't (it is only 4 oz more than the 'ideal' weight of 6.6 lbs that Copper spec'd), but I'm not too sure now. But the Hi-lux might be a tad on the heavy side too. What do you think... does it feel heavy to you?

The Hi-Lux is heavier than my Leupold variable but I prefer its higher maximum magnification. I also find the duplex reticle a little better for shooting off the bench.

The gun is fairly heavy when fully loaded. But keep in mind that we're packing ten rounds of .308 instead of five. Also, I am weighing this on my bathroom scale (my wife swears it reads on the heavy side) and I don't know how accurate that is.

Tokarev
03-21-11, 07:19
I just checked weight again this morning. I'm getting 8 pounds nine ounces with a full mag in place. No sling on the rifle.

Tokarev
03-22-11, 06:50
That scope is getting close to what I am looking for (except for sticker shock :)). 1-6X with an illuminated reticle. I like for it to be clear of the bolt handle and I would still like to have backup sights (XS rail should solve this).

I tried mounting the Swarovski onto the XS rail but the ocular bell won't clear the rear sight aperature. I've got the scope set in Leupold low rings. I don't think mediums will do the trick, either.

I wonder if the folding rear sight off a Mini-14 RR will work on the Scout. That's about the only option I can see if I want to use this scope and keep the back-up rear on the gun.

kermit4161
03-22-11, 13:39
I just checked weight again this morning. I'm getting 8 pounds nine ounces with a full mag in place. No sling on the rifle.

I still don't see that as being too heavy considering the 10 rd magazine. It'd get down a bit with the 5 rounder... or the projected polymer mag that might come out.

Still, with a red dot scope, a 5 round mag and sling, I bet it would be under or close to 8lbs total. I'm going to have to wait another month before I can seriously consider one, but I still think it is the top contender for my next rifle.

Oh... btw, has anyone seen one that has a sloppy/loose action? Another poster claimed this (at the other forum). I haven't read any accounts whatsoever of a sloppy action yet.

Tokarev
03-22-11, 14:09
...has anyone seen one that has a sloppy/loose action? Another poster claimed this (at the other forum). I haven't read any accounts whatsoever of a sloppy action yet.

Sloppy in which regard? Action loose in the stock?

40Arpent
03-23-11, 10:48
Oh... btw, has anyone seen one that has a sloppy/loose action?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the bolt in my GSR has a LOT more play in it than the bolt on my new M77 Hawkeye Compact 7mm-08 and my older standard M77 .270.

mattjmcd
03-23-11, 11:23
This thing has got me very curious. I admit to wanting one.

@TXSUT- wrt play in the bolt, is there a lot of play in a bad way, so to speak? Or is it just a looser set of tolerances for faster manipulation?

cqbdriver
03-23-11, 14:02
wrt play in the bolt - The only negative problem is that when the bolt is fully to the rear & you begin pushing the bolt forward. If you don't push straight forward on the bolt, the bolt can bind with the rear of the receiver.

Now that my rifle has been broken in more & I have practiced a lot of bolt manipulations, the binding rarely occurs now.

kermit4161
03-23-11, 14:45
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the bolt in my GSR has a LOT more play in it than the bolt on my new M77 Hawkeye Compact 7mm-08 and my older standard M77 .270.

I guess that is what the guy was talking about. The loose/sloppy action were his terms.

40Arpent
03-24-11, 09:35
@TXSUT- wrt play in the bolt, is there a lot of play in a bad way, so to speak? Or is it just a looser set of tolerances for faster manipulation?

My experience is the same as what cqbdriver stated two posts back, except I am not that far along in the break-in so my bolt will still hang up from time to time.

cqbdriver
03-24-11, 09:54
Some detail photos & description of GSR:

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_m77-gs_p3.php

RyanS
03-24-11, 16:52
I finally got to finger one of these today. I had trouble leaving the shop without it. Were it not for the fact that I just purchased a SF 556-212 and I'm in the process of building up an SBR, I would have bought the rifle on the spot.

The rifle was, for the lack a better term, very stout, despite feeling extremely handy. Weight did not seem to be an issue as the rifle balanced extremely well. I think that the length plays a significant role here. The action was very smooth...despite deliberately trying to bind up the action. I could not and I didn't sense any dragging. I didn't find the irons to be lacking. I had some doubts about the stock, but after having the chance to handle it, I think that when I am able to pick a GSR for myself, I will probably just leave it be.

Tokarev
03-25-11, 11:08
I received two of the latest Alpha Industries Mfg mags yesterday. The bodies have been modified slightly to fit into the Ruger. Both mags take a little more effort to seat than my factory Ruger mag or the AI mag I've got but they should work nicely. Construction and materials appears top notch and the reduced overall length should make the gun a little easier to pack and carry.

cqbdriver
03-25-11, 11:19
Let me know how the Alpha mags work after you try them out. If you get a chance, post a photo of the back of the mag. I like to see the changes that they made. Here is an unmodified Alpha mag:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Alpha_before.jpg

I modified the mag myself to work in the GSR. I haven't used the Ruger 10rd mag since getting the Alpha mag.

Tokarev
03-25-11, 21:29
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzI1LTAwMDc0LmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzI1LTAwMDczLmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzI1LTAwMDc1LmpwZw.jpg

joffe
03-26-11, 10:39
I notice some commentators are asking what this rifle does that an M1A or similar does not do.

Well, I can mention one thing. It manages to be legal where semi-autos do not.

I hope Ruger sees fit to launch this rifle 'over here'. :)

RyanS
03-26-11, 18:41
Picked mine up today. The gun shop wanted $800 and I talked them down to $775. Big whoop I know but I take it as a small victory given the battles I've had with them in the past on pricing. Anyway, I threw my Aimpoint micro on it and plan on taking it out tomorrow. I did notice when I got it home and gave it a cleaning that the barrel was not free-floated at all. I plan seeing how it groups before doing any sanding on the stock. Trying to decide on a sling.

About the only other changes that I see coming would be changing changing out the flash hider to a Battle Comp and possibly going with a Trijicon TR-24 if and when XS sight systems releases their rail with the integral rear sight.

deadduck357
03-29-11, 19:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzI1LTAwMDc1LmpwZw.jpg

Tok I might have missed it but how many rounds is that Alpha mag ?

Tokarev
03-29-11, 20:14
Tok I might have missed it but how many rounds is that Alpha mag ?

They're 10rd mags.

Hold off on getting some just yet. I've found that these position the round just a little lower than the AI or Ruger mag that I've got. As a result, the rounds don't feed too smoothly. Soft point ammo suffers some deformation during the feeding cycle.

I've contacted Chris about this and he's going to get a Scout of his own so he can modify his magazines accordingly. Once he's got the bugs worked out, these magazines will be the heat.

rob_s
05-11-11, 20:37
Two questions on these guns.

Is there a QD version of the Ruger scope mounting system for traditional scopes?
If the Ruger mounting system is used, is there a way to relocate the rear sight elsewhere on the gun or otherwise have a functional rear sight?

Jake'sDad
05-11-11, 23:18
They're 10rd mags.

Hold off on getting some just yet. I've found that these position the round just a little lower than the AI or Ruger mag that I've got. As a result, the rounds don't feed too smoothly. Soft point ammo suffers some deformation during the feeding cycle.

I've contacted Chris about this and he's going to get a Scout of his own so he can modify his magazines accordingly. Once he's got the bugs worked out, these magazines will be the heat.

There should be a polymer 10 round mag available soon as well, made by a manufacturer that we're all familiar with.....

MountainRaven
05-11-11, 23:30

Is there a QD version of the Ruger scope mounting system for traditional scopes?
If the Ruger mounting system is used, is there a way to relocate the rear sight elsewhere on the gun or otherwise have a functional rear sight?

Warne makes a set of "QD" rings for Ruger rifles. On Brownells. (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26091/avs|Manufacturer_1=WARNE%20MFGxzzx%20COMPANY/Product/MAXIMA_RUGER_reg__BASE_QD_RINGS) Obviously not LaRue or ADM.

NotDylan
05-12-11, 03:58

Something like this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=219/pid=48/Product/22_2069A_500_8_WEAVER_LOW_BACK_UP_BASE) may be what you're looking for.

XS sights are also said to be making a rail for this rifle with an integral rear sight.

And some mounting options will clear the factory rear:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Mattrm1/P1141399.jpg
photo courtesy of mm128 on sniper's hide

rob_s
05-12-11, 04:53
That mounting solution is pretty interesting. It appears to me to put the optic higher than I think I'd want it, and I'm hoping to be able to ditch that forward rail altogether if I pick up one of these rifles. I wonder how much higher that optic is than it would be mounted in the OEM rings.

Presumably the Ashley product will be a full rail like that but incorporate some kind of sight?

Jake'sDad
05-12-11, 09:38
That mounting solution is pretty interesting. It appears to me to put the optic higher than I think I'd want it, and I'm hoping to be able to ditch that forward rail altogether if I pick up one of these rifles. I wonder how much higher that optic is than it would be mounted in the OEM rings.

Presumably the Ashley product will be a full rail like that but incorporate some kind of sight?

The XS rail is what I'm waiting for. I tried a backwards Larue with a TR24, but it didn't bring it back quite far enough, and it's higher than I want it.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/JakesDad1000/Scoutwlarue.jpg

Tokarev
05-12-11, 10:39
It's my understanding that XS will be offering two different rails for the Scout. One will have a built-in rear sight and the other will be just a rail.

I have a prototype of the model with the rear sight. I like it but it can cause some issues with clearance, depending on the type of scope used. Ideally, I would like to see something that folds down into the rail to give more clearance. Maybe something along the lines of the little BUIS that SiG uses on their 556 carbine.

Jake'sDad
05-12-11, 11:35
It's my understanding that XS will be offering two different rails for the Scout. One will have a built-in rear sight and the other will be just a rail.

I have a prototype of the model with the rear sight. I like it but it can cause some issues with clearance, depending on the type of scope used. Ideally, I would like to see something that folds down into the rail to give more clearance. Maybe something along the lines of the little BUIS that SiG uses on their 556 carbine.

It would probably have to be a BUIS made for the Ruger, as I'm assuming any BUIS made for an AR would be too high, wouldn't it?

rob_s
05-12-11, 11:39
If not for the Ruger proprietary scope mounting, something like the Brockman rear might make sense.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp

Todd.K
05-12-11, 12:34
The eye relief of the TR-21 would let you run a fixed rear sight and keep the scope low.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=747368&postcount=71

Tokarev
05-12-11, 13:08
I've been playing with a Swarovski on mine. It's an excellent piece of glass but it doesn't quite have the eye relief I had hoped. I had to pull the rear sight to get it mounted in a useable location.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010687.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20Scout/P1010682.jpg

sgtlmj
05-12-11, 13:51

[snip]

That rail looks a bit high, but I like to run a stock pack on my rifles anyway. Could just add some foam under it to raise it a bit.

40Arpent
05-12-11, 14:46
I wonder how much higher that optic is than it would be mounted in the OEM rings.

The answer to your question: way. :blink:

Tokarev
05-12-11, 15:35
That rail looks a bit high, but I like to run a stock pack on my rifles anyway. Could just add some foam under it to raise it a bit.

Even with the low rings, the XS rail seems to put the scope a little high. Nothing a guy couldn't get used to with a little trigger time.

Jake'sDad
05-12-11, 15:43
The eye relief of the TR-21 would let you run a fixed rear sight and keep the scope low.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=747368&postcount=71

Yeah, I had seen where you had done that, and was planning on getting a TR21, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Jake'sDad
05-12-11, 15:46
If not for the Ruger proprietary scope mounting, something like the Brockman rear might make sense.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp

You mean if you had a Win. M70 Classic or Montana Rifle Co. Model 1999, it might make sense.

Edit, looks like you can do it on a custom base for other guns.

cqbdriver
05-14-11, 17:33
I practiced some close range drills with the GSR yesterday.

Deliverance Drill - On squeal, engage all rednecks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG75sDjPEg
Excuse poor aiming of camera. I was trying a new MicroCamera. (Date is screwed up too)

I got the GSR for use on some land I own that I use for hunting, camping & becoming one with nature. After going out there for over 30 yrs., my most likely threat are Deliverance types.

I wanted to see which was faster - my GSR in my hands or my pistol drawn from a holster. I was consistently 3/4 sec faster with my Glock. Three rds of .308 or 3 rds of 9mm 3/4 secs faster? Or go back & train some more until I get it right.

Jake'sDad
05-14-11, 18:49
I practiced some close range drills with the GSR yesterday.

Deliverance Drill - On squeal, engage all rednecks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG75sDjPEg
Excuse poor aiming of camera. I was trying a new MicroCamera. (Date is screwed up too)

I got the GSR for use on some land I own that I use for hunting, camping & becoming one with nature. After going out there for over 30 yrs., my most likely threat are Deliverance types.

I wanted to see which was faster - my GSR in my hands or my pistol drawn from a holster. I was consistently 3/4 sec faster with my Glock. Three rds of .308 or 3 rds of 9mm 3/4 secs faster? Or go back & train some more until I get it right.

I'd vote for the .308. Less likely to need a double tap on a really big Redneck than with a 9mm. Plus, what if he's wearing a banjo for body armor, or hiding behind a still?

You can probably speed up your bolt work a bit with some more practice. I imagine you've got a few more hours of training in with your Glock.

cqbdriver
05-14-11, 21:15
I definitely need more practice on my bolt work. I only used bolt actions in the past for hunting.

I have reading up on bolt work methods. Some going back to WWI. Methods such as tilting the weapon to the right (for right-handed shooters) when working the bolt. To using the middle finger for the trigger while thumb & index finger remain on the bolt knob.

Here some nice bolt work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

I have much learning & practice to do. Until then if I hear men squealing like pigs in the woods, I'm grabbing my BCM midlength. :D

Jake'sDad
06-06-11, 23:10
They're 10rd mags.

Anyone heard whether Alpha has the bugs worked out in their mags?

cqbdriver
06-07-11, 19:37
Anyone heard whether Alpha has the bugs worked out in their mags?

I just ordered another mag this week.

I already have one of their mags. It was built before they supposely fixed the mags for the GSR. Even though I had to modify it to work in the GSR, I like it better than the Accurate-mags (more compact). I mainly use it now along with the 5rd Accurate-mag.

I'll let you know how the new one works out.

Jake'sDad
06-10-11, 14:29
I just ordered another mag this week.

I already have one of their mags. It was built before they supposely fixed the mags for the GSR. Even though I had to modify it to work in the GSR, I like it better than the Accurate-mags (more compact). I mainly use it now along with the 5rd Accurate-mag.

I'll let you know how the new one works out.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Ruger's supposed to be coming out with a polymer mag, but haven't heard much more about it since.

Anyone heard of any of the stock companies tooling up for it yet? It would be nice to cut a pound off of it with a fiberglass stock.

cqbdriver
06-11-11, 13:54
I got the new redesigned Alpha mag in today.

Good news - the mag fit in the weapon & latched without any problem.

Possible bad news - I ran some dummy rounds through it. The dummy rounds all feed fine, but the bullets hit about half way down the feed ramp. On the Ruger mags & my 1st Alpha mag, the bullet tip missed the feed ramp completely.

Tokarev report a similar problem with his redesigned Alpha mag & he had a couple of failure-to-feeds. He said that the cartridges hit the barrel above the chamber. He assumed that it was due to the steeper angle of the cartridge leaving the magazine.

Cbqdriver
Alpha Beta Tester

Jake'sDad
06-11-11, 14:13
Bummer. Hopefully they get it straightened out soon.

It would still be great if the Ruger polymer mags come out, and they're cheap and they work.

CRAMBONE
06-11-11, 15:17
I have not seen one of these rilfes in person, I do have decent experience with other bolt guns though. I was wondering if it would be possible to mill out the mag well in order to use double stack 7.62 magazines?

cqbdriver
06-13-11, 21:40
I think that I determined why the newer Alpha mags hit lower than the original mags. The magazine feed lips are narrower.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Alpha_mags.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/New_mag_lips.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Old_mag_lips.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/New_mag_ramp.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Old_mag_ramp.jpg

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 06:44
This is begging for a T1.

No doubt!

Jake'sDad
06-27-11, 12:02
This is begging for a T1.

No doubt!

4 MOA RDS on a .308 bolt gun?

CC556
06-27-11, 12:24
I think that I determined why the newer Alpha mags hit lower than the original mags. The magazine feed lips are narrower.

[ img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Alpha_mags.jpg[/img]

[ img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/New_mag_lips.jpg[/img]

[ img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Old_mag_lips.jpg[/img]

[ img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/New_mag_ramp.jpg[/img]

[ img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Old_mag_ramp.jpg[/img]

Have you just tried spreading the feedlips a bit to get the cartridge to sit up higher like the older mags?

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 14:22
4 MOA RDS on a .308 bolt gun?

Sure......Why not??
I already have a custom 20" barreled Remington .308 700 I have scoped w/ a 3-9x Super Sniper for 100 yard plus shots.

This "Scout rifle" would be great for me at closer than 100 yard ranges, in brush. Scout rifles, as this thread's contributors have shown, are not the easiest rifles to scope.

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 15:21
Anybody running any other flash suppressor on this rig?
I think a Smith Enterprise FS would be cool.

Jake'sDad
06-27-11, 16:00
Sure......Why not??
I already have a custom 20" barreled Remington .308 700 I have scoped w/ a 3-9x Super Sniper for 100 yard plus shots.

This "Scout rifle" would be great for me at closer than 100 yard ranges, in brush.

Gotcha. I have 30-30's, 45/70's, etc. for that. .308, for me, is for potentially shooting a little further.

Scout rifles, as this thread's contributors have shown, are not the easiest rifles to scope.

Hopefully XS releases their rail soon so we can conventionally mount while still keeping the irons.

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 16:15
Thanks for comments, Jakesdad.

Good shooting!

cqbdriver
06-27-11, 16:35
Hopefully XS releases their rail soon so we can conventionally mount while still keeping the irons.

According to scoutrifle.org, the rail is available now (as 2 weeks ago). You just have to call to order it:
"Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Rail w/aperture RU-5000R-N. The rail will be $90.00 + S&H."

1-888-744-4880

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=1092.0

Jake'sDad
06-27-11, 16:54
According to scoutrifle.org, the rail is available now (as 2 weeks ago). You just have to call to order it:
"Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Rail w/aperture RU-5000R-N. The rail will be $90.00 + S&H."

1-888-744-4880

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=1092.0

That makes about 4 beers I owe you now, thanks Brother!

Jake'sDad
06-27-11, 17:02
Now, to just get a plastic stock for the thing and drop a lb off of it.

Wonder how long before someone tools up for one?

Jake'sDad
06-27-11, 17:09
Anybody running any other flash suppressor on this rig?
I think a Smith Enterprise FS would be cool.

I'm thinking about trying a Battle Comp on mine.

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 17:23
An extremely informative thread here concerning Ruger's Scout rifle , Gents. Thanks for the post's.

Kudo's also to Ruger for offering this rifle in a left handed configuration for US FOLKS, as well. ;)

cqbdriver
06-27-11, 18:42
I added an A2 style .308 FS from LaRue.

It is slightly shorter, slightly less muzzle climb, slightly less dust kicked up in prone & slightly more pretty. I like it slightly more than the Ruger FS (actual I like it much more).

Here's another one (Black River Tactical) posted on scoutrifle forum(bottom of page):
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=840.30

cheaptrick
06-27-11, 18:56
Here's another one (Black River Tactical) posted on scoutrifle forum(bottom of page):

MUCH better!

40Arpent
06-28-11, 12:55

Serious question: How does a brake with no ports reduce felt recoil, as the OP in that thread claims?

cqbdriver
06-29-11, 05:17
Serious question: How does a brake with no ports reduce felt recoil, as the OP in that thread claims?

Making a guess here - from the photos, it looks like it has an expansion chamber with 5 ports going through the front of the chamber - similar to Troy Claymore.

40Arpent
06-29-11, 06:14
Making a guess here - from the photos, it looks like it has an expansion chamber with 5 ports going through the front of the chamber - similar to Troy Claymore.

Ah, I missed that the grooves were actually extensions of porting. Thanks.

Jake'sDad
07-19-11, 11:21
Got the XS GSR rail with integrated sight in. Looks like it's going to do exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm trying to figure out which scope. I was going to run a TR24, but am considering going to 2-7 or 2.5-8 of some kind instead. I'm wondering what the new Leupold Firedot 2-7 would be like on this gun. Anybody got input?

skipper49
07-19-11, 16:58
Got the XS GSR rail with integrated sight in. Looks like it's going to do exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm trying to figure out which scope. I was going to run a TR24, but am considering going to 2-7 or 2.5-8 of some kind instead. I'm wondering what the new Leupold Firedot 2-7 would be like on this gun. Anybody got input?

Probably no need to ask, but are you happy with the quality of the rail?

Skip

Jake'sDad
07-19-11, 20:13
Probably no need to ask, but are you happy with the quality of the rail?

Skip

Looks functional, but I haven't got it mounted up with optics yet.

bankfraudguy
07-20-11, 21:16
Looks functional, but I haven't got it mounted up with optics yet.

how much height does it add?

AmericanGunWorks
08-07-11, 00:08
I'm getting really sick of all the coverage the ruger scout rifle is getting on the gun shows on tv.. I think i've seen it at GunSite in more then a couple episodes. Ed Head is pushing them like crazy.

cqbdriver
08-12-11, 08:35
Ruger wins Rifle of the Year!
http://www.guns.com/ruger-sweeps-lc9-is-the-handgun-of-the-year-gunsite-scout-rifle-of-the-year.html

(Sorry AmericanGunWorks, I had to do that :jester: )

rob_s
08-12-11, 08:42
Ed Head is pushing them like crazy.

Well, he was involved in developing it, and believes in the design and the concept, so why wouldn't he?

Sotex
08-12-11, 20:22
I'm getting really sick of all the coverage the ruger scout rifle is getting on the gun shows on tv.. I think i've seen it at GunSite in more then a couple episodes. Ed Head is pushing them like crazy.

Why would someone who is sick of hearing about it even click on a 20+ page post about it?

AmericanGunWorks
08-12-11, 22:42
Call it curiosity I guess..lol

I did not know Ed Head was involved in developing it so that makes sense.

I'm not saying its a bad rifle.. I'm just getting coverage overload with it.

rob_s
08-13-11, 07:06
I'm just getting coverage overload with it.

I'll agree with you there. Just know that for the most part, it's simply Ruger putting money into the marketing machine, nothing more, nothing less. But in Ed's case I know that he believes in the product.

Odglock
08-13-11, 08:55
I have 2 left-handed ones on the way!

BobM
08-13-11, 20:27
I handled one briefly at a gun show today; I'm seriously thinking about ordering one.

samuse
08-21-11, 23:20
What exactly is this rifle for?

If you just wanted a 30cal gun to hang out the window of the truck to shoot stuff in the ditch, couldn't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy a 30-30 and a BSA scope?:rolleyes:

urbanamish
08-26-11, 08:54
What exactly is this rifle for?

If you just wanted a 30cal gun to hang out the window of the truck to shoot stuff in the ditch, couldn't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy a 30-30 and a BSA scope?:rolleyes:

I'd like to have it to hunt medium size game in northern PA, and to supplement my long range 30 cal. rifles in situations where 200 to 400 yards is the maximum target range. Lightweight, mag fed, solid action, in a package that has a lot of the attributes I look for (short, threaded barrel, short LOP, etc) in a factory rifle, I can see the attraction.

As it stands, I'm not going to pony up the dough at this point. The Stevens 200 that I bought for $290 will have to do. By the time I chop the barrel to 18", and add a muzzle break, and DBM, I'll spend nearly the same as the Ruger.

I have a 700 PSS in the safe, set up for distance, if I add something like the Ruger Gunsite rifle, with a 2-7 scope, I think that would about cover my 30 cal. needs, no?

Serlo II
08-30-11, 10:41
I have one. I paid around $800 for it.

Nice little rifle. I do not use an extended eye relief scope. I mounted a Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x scope. The mount is an American Defense MFG AD-Scout mount designed for an M4. The mount sets on the rail but offsets the scope back a few inches so that if the scope breaks, I can pop it off and use the iron sights. Lines up with my eyes just fine.

This is a fairly accurate rifle. I was able to shoot very tight 1" or smaller groups at 100 Yards with the scope set at 4x. This Trijicon is a really nice scope with fiber optic and tritium light sources that illuminate a small red triangle sitting on top of a post.
The rear sight is difficult to adjust and not very user friendly. Perhaps the worst rear iron sights I’ve ever used.

I am used to a Steyr SBS tactical and the bolt on the Ruger is nowhere near as smooth and sure as on the Steyr. Both rifles are in the same price range.

Overall I like the rifle. It’s a very handy setup and I think it is pretty rugged. It does seem kind of a high price for what you get. I would have felt better about the purchase if it was a bit lower in cost.

J-Dub
09-16-11, 21:09
Dont be shy, post some pics of your setup!

I'm very interested in this rifle, or a rifle setup in this configuration.

OMD
09-16-11, 23:47
I handled this rifle in a shop several months ago and Ruger/GS did an excellent job in putting it all together. It feels and handles good, well built and seems to meet the scout concept well. The ghost ring lined up very naturally for me which is not a common thing I find with shotguns - unless mount directly on the receiver like the higher priced setups. Maybe it is just me, but compared to the prices ALL manufactures are putting on their rifles this past year $800 is seeming less painful. For example, while I appreciate that Winchester has revitalized the old 94, I am getting really tired of seeing $1100 plus on a cowboy gun. So seeing a semi-custom gun from Ruger at $800 has some value in today's market. Hell, you'll pay $800 now for a new Marlin GG.

Serlo II
09-19-11, 20:34
This is how my rifle is set up. Scope is a Trijicon 1.25x4 x 24
Works very well.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/IMG_5683.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/IMG_5679.jpg

40Arpent
09-20-11, 17:30
This is how my rifle is set up.

With the scope sitting that high, do you not find yourself in need of a cheek pad for a solid cheek weld?

Serlo II
09-20-11, 18:00
With the scope sitting that high, do you not find yourself in need of a cheek pad for a solid cheek weld?

I find it comfortable to shoot. Cheek weld is better with the iron sights but the change is in the angle of my head - its more upright and I can shoot with both eyes open.

Some people may not like it but I have no trouble making quick shots. I also like having the iron sights right there in case I need them.

40Arpent
09-21-11, 09:15
I find it comfortable to shoot. Cheek weld is better with the iron sights but the change is in the angle of my head - its more upright and I can shoot with both eyes open.

Some people may not like it but I have no trouble making quick shots. I also like having the iron sights right there in case I need them.

Thanks Serlo. I may give a similar setup a try. I currently have mine setup with the Burris scout scope and QR rings, but would like adjustable magnification and illumination.

J-Dub
09-21-11, 10:36
For a general purpose/hunting rifle, i think the Gunsite Scout with a aimpoint micro would be awesome.

I cant wait to handle one of these rifles!

Serlo II
09-21-11, 11:07
I also was thinking I could use the scope and mount on my M4 for three gun matches. Have not tried it but it would be a good setup.

Jake'sDad
09-21-11, 13:08
This is how my rifle is set up. Scope is a Trijicon 1.25x4 x 24
Works very well.

Cool. I tried the same setup with a Larue mount and a TR24, but it didn't bring it back far enough. Ended up getting the XS Scout rail for the Ruger.

coachwill
09-29-11, 10:01
Serlo I like the way that setup looks. I have the same rifle on order but was looking at different scope combinations. I don't mind long eye relief views but would rather have something a little closer and still have the option to use iron sights if needed.

Thanks for the information.

Serlo II
09-29-11, 15:56
This rig seems to work pretty well for the few rounds I have shot through it. The Ruger's iron sights are not very good.

The principle problem with this setup is cheek weld. In this case its a bit lower on the face - for some people this can cause vertical stringing.

I think the best setup is the XS rail. This rail has a small peep sight built in as an extra bonus.
It is probably the best setup all things considered.

I am going to use my current setup for a while and also spend more time with just iron sights. I'll report back after a few hundred rounds.

Joe

Brokennock
10-10-11, 14:05
I got the Ruger 5rd mag & Andy's Leather Ching Sling in. I really like the more compact 5rd mag for carrying around.

I mounted an Aimpoint H-1 & took the rifle out to my hunting land. I didn't do much carrying around because we had work to do. I did sight in the aimpoint & try out the sling.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GSR_Sling.jpg

Hey there CQBDRIVER, I'm new here and hope you don't mind my starting off by asking you a question. I did join the forum mostly to participate in this thread. I just got my RGSR and am looking to install the middle (3rd) sling attachment point, what did you use.

cqbdriver
10-11-11, 09:58
I just got my RGSR and am looking to install the middle (3rd) sling attachment point, what did you use.

I used a Sling swivel screw. I got mine locally, but they're also available at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41892/Product/SLING-SWIVEL-SCREW-SETS )

One thing to note - where I placed my screw is right were I carry the rifle. When carrying one-handed, my index finger is in front on the swivel & the other fingers behind. I'd rather it be slightly forward of where I located.

You find more info at http://www.scoutrifle.org
It is not very active, but good info.

Serlo II
10-11-11, 13:11
When you attached the sling swivel, i presume you removed the barreled action. When reinstalling it - did you tourque it to a particlular spec?

cqbdriver
10-11-11, 13:36
Yes, I removed the action to measure the thickness of the stock where I located the screw & to not drill into the barrel when drilling the hole for the swivel screw.

I used torque values slightly less that the spec (some discussion that these may be max torque):
Front bolt: 90 in/lbs
Rear bolt: 20 in/lbs
Side bolts: 15 in/lbs
everything else 15 in/lbs

taken fron here: http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=1158.0

JBecker 72
10-11-11, 15:47
Anyone have a synthetic stock in the works for this rifle? Something with built in QD sling swivels and adjustable cheek rest would be nice, plus a reduction in weight is always helpful.

Warg
10-11-11, 18:11
I recently got back from a hunting trip where I was able to spend some time with one of these (family member's). The iron sights are probably okay for up-close work, but not very good for precision. We mounted a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 scope in a LaRue SPR mount which was obviously too high for a decent cheek weld. Ended up taping a rolled up hand towel on the stock temporarily which seemed to work pretty well.

The rifle was pretty accurate with the scope, but we had feeding problems from the mag with a lot of the ammo we tried- 150 gr to 175 gr (Hornady, Federal, Black Hills & handloads). Anyone else experience this?

Serlo II
10-11-11, 18:51
gfelber
similar experience. The iron sights are pretty poor - hard to adjust to zero at 100 yards.
The action is not smooth and neither is the mag feed. I am used to a Steyr and that rifle is super smooth - yet there is a substantial price difference.

it is feature rich for the price but the sights and action are not the greatest.

Warg
10-11-11, 19:48
gfelber
similar experience. The iron sights are pretty poor - hard to adjust to zero at 100 yards.
The action is not smooth and neither is the mag feed. I am used to a Steyr and that rifle is super smooth - yet there is a substantial price difference.

it is feature rich for the price but the sights and action are not the greatest.

Admittedly, this rifle was practically new. Does the action get better/smoother over time? I have a Remy 700 that was pretty rough initially, but has improved dramatically after a couple of hundred rounds.

cqbdriver
10-11-11, 21:27
My GSR's action was very stiff at first & would bind occasionally when the bolt was all the way to the rear. However, after working the bolt a lot while watching Spongebob, it has improved greatly & I can't get to bind any more even when trying.

I have had no problems with feeding using the factory mags. I did have some with an Alpha Industries mag.

Brokennock
10-12-11, 11:47
I used a Sling swivel screw. I got mine locally, but they're also available at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41892/Product/SLING-SWIVEL-SCREW-SETS )

One thing to note - where I placed my screw is right were I carry the rifle. When carrying one-handed, my index finger is in front on the swivel & the other fingers behind. I'd rather it be slightly forward of where I located.

You find more info at http://www.scoutrifle.org

It is not very active, but good info.

Okay, I have those in my parts box. I asked because from the picture it looked like you used something that replaced the angled action screw. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the gun showing where yours is placed in relation to the front of the magwell and bedding screw?

I am a member or that forum.

Thanks

cqbdriver
10-12-11, 16:05
Can you post a pic of the bottom of the gun showing where yours is placed in relation to the front of the magwell and bedding screw?

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_15221.JPG

Brokennock
10-12-11, 16:42
Thanks for the pic. If anyone here knows where to get a sling stud that replaces, or attaches to, the screw just behind CQBDRIVER's middle sling stud, please inform the masses here.

JBecker 72
10-21-11, 14:23
I finally got to take mine out and put some rounds through it. I am very happy overall with the rifle, it feeds good and the action is getting smoother. One thing I am a bit disappointed with though is the finish on the stock, there are quite a few blemishes and a couple rough spots. It doesn't really matter I suppose because I plan on using it regularly and it will get banged around, but I feel better attention to detail should have been taken from the factory on an $800 rifle.

Now I just need to stock up on some more ammo for it and get a scope.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/IMAG0109.jpg

Jake'sDad
10-28-11, 11:26
Just got confirmation on the rumor that had been going on for a while. Ruger is selling P-Mag's for the Scout Rifle. 3 round, 5 round, and 10 round. All the same price, $39.95 suggested retail. Street price should be lower.

Jake'sDad
10-28-11, 11:32
They're up on Ruger's site.

http://shopruger.com/images/90355_L.jpg

http://shopruger.com/Scout-308-Mag-M77-10P/productinfo/90355/

mark5pt56
10-28-11, 15:29

The ten-shot magazine for the Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle is constructed of durable glass-filled nylon with a stainless steel spring. A snap-on dust cover is included which helps keep the magazine internals clean and allows long-term storage of the magazine while loaded. Not recommended for use with other M24/M40/AICS-style systems.

Wonder why that is?

Tokarev
10-28-11, 15:37
Wonder why that is?

Probably just Ruger's way of saying that they cannot verify 100% reliability or compatibility with other AI pattern rifles.

jbsmwd
10-28-11, 19:33

that sure is ugly but if it works who cares. Anybody tried them yet?

Jake'sDad
10-28-11, 20:09
that sure is ugly but if it works who cares. Anybody tried them yet?

Not unless someone had early test samples, they just released them today.

Jake'sDad
10-28-11, 20:13
that sure is ugly but if it works who cares.

Just looks like a P-Mag. Hard to tell, but I'm hoping it's a lot shorter than the steel mags. It'll for sure be lighter.

Serlo II
10-29-11, 08:11
I ordered two from Ruger last night and will report back after running them.

Serlo II
10-29-11, 09:11
Scope mounting setup.
I have experimented with several scope mounting setups.
The one I settled on is a XS rail with Badger Ordinance rings.
The cheek weld and scope location are excellent. I can shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed, open them and be right on with the reticle. The XS rail has a small peep sight for emergency use.
I shot about 100 rounds through the setup and it works perfectly. I can hit the target quickly and it is accurate.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/Rifles/IMG_6045.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/Rifles/IMG_6040.jpg

Robb Jensen
10-29-11, 09:31
I picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout last week. I'm using it without any spacers in the stock. I installed my Battlecomp BABC on it and I've ordered 30mm Ruger rings and will be using it with my Nightforce 1-4x NXS this will be a deer/bear rifle for me. Last night with the iron sights I shot 75 rounds throught it. It seems not really have a preference for a certain weight bullet I fired 147gr 7.62mm NATO and Hornady 168gr TAP, Federal 168gr Gold Medal match and some Federal Fusion 180gr all seemed to shoot about the same as far as accuracy with the TAP and Gold Medal match rounds shooting slightly more accurate.

The trigger on mine seems to break around 4-4.5lbs. I'm going to see if I can clean it up or I may replace it with a Timney.

jbsmwd
10-29-11, 20:13
I can't help and wonder what Ruger has got up there sleeve with the release of these AICS style glass-filled nylon mags. I would think that this is bit of an inverstment just for one rifle. Maybe other rifles from Ruger that will have AICS style DBM features?

Anybody else have some other Ideas?

BSHNT2015
10-30-11, 13:06
Robb, how's BABC working out on the Ruger? I'm thinking the same set up.

Robb Jensen
10-30-11, 15:46
Robb, how's BABC working out on the Ruger? I'm thinking the same set up.

I'm very happy with it on there. Recoil is straight to the rear and no bruise on my shoulder after firing the 75 rounds Friday night. My 30mm rings should arrive Monday or Tuesday and then I'll mount my Nightforce 1-4x NXS and shoot it again next week. I'm gonna try polishing up the trigger too. Where I'll be deer hunting over Thankgiving they've been spotting a large black bear so I'll probably be using Federal Fusion .308Win 165gr or 180gr.

J-Dub
11-02-11, 18:07
So these are selling around $700 right?

40Arpent
11-03-11, 14:58
So these are selling around $700 right?

Yep, just a tick over $700 in most places.

40Arpent
11-03-11, 14:59
Scope mounting setup.

Looks fantastic, Serlo!

40Arpent
11-03-11, 15:01
I'm very happy with it on there. Recoil is straight to the rear and no bruise on my shoulder after firing the 75 rounds Friday night.

Thanks for the info, Robb. I was seriously considering the BABC for my GSR (love it on one of my AR15's), and you just sealed the deal.

cqbdriver
11-04-11, 13:13
I got the Ruger 10rd polymer mag in today. It inserts & removes easily. It length is much shorter than the Ruger metal 10rd mag & about ¼” longer than the Alpha mag. It feeds & ejects dummy rounds fine. The spring is considerably lighter than the spring in the metal mag. It comes with a dust cover similar to PMAG’s.

I won’t get a chance to test the new mag out this weekend. I’m heading out the door right now for muzzleloading hunting this weekend.

ETA: If any one sees these two guys, let them know that I am looking for them this weekend:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Goners.JPG

Robb Jensen
11-05-11, 11:17
Here's my Jensen-Ready version of the Ruger Scout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/RugerScout.jpg

Dave L.
11-05-11, 13:09
Here's my Jensen-Ready version of the Ruger Scout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/RugerScout.jpg

Robb,
I really dig that. The forward mounted scope option was a deal-breaker for me. These look great with scopes mounted over the magwell.
I'm interested in the accuracy now that you have a scope on it. Keep us posted.

DJK
11-05-11, 13:21
Robb,
I really dig that. The forward mounted scope option was a deal-breaker for me. These look great with scopes mounted over the magwell.

+1 :D I'm about ready to run out and buy one. Looking forward to accuracy updates.

Robb Jensen
11-05-11, 14:04
Robb,

Last night at the indoor 50yd NRA range I shot an 8 shot 3/4" group with Federal Fusion 180gr bonded soft point. Nothing spectacular and I hate sighting in rifles indoors and my scope only goes up to 4x. I'll bet outdoors on a 100yd range with 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match it would shoot at least 1MOA using a 3-9x or 3.5-15x scope.

Mark/MO
11-05-11, 16:33
Ever since they announced the left hand model I‘ve found myself wanting one. I can’t come up with a real reason, other than I want one. I must admit to being intrigued by the scout scope concept for some time now and it looks like it would be a handy size. From what I‘ve been reading in this thread and other places it sounds like most are happy with theirs.

BSHNT2015
11-06-11, 12:15
keep us posted, thanks

Serlo II
11-06-11, 19:06
Robb,
Your rifle is looking good. I will go for that battlecomp BABC sometime in the near future.
good hunting.

Joe

cqbdriver
11-11-11, 14:07
I tried out the new Ruger polymer 10rd mag today at the range. It worked fine.

Here's a couple videos by Ruger on the mag where they drop it on concrete, run it over & hit it with a baseball bat:

They also discussed the ability to top load the magazine. The only issue that I had with the mag was when I was testing top loading the mag when it was in the rifle. First round went in fine, but 2nd round pushed the rear of the follower down more than the front causing the follower to become stuck. I had to push on the cartridges to free up the follower.

Serlo II
11-11-11, 17:55
Received two new Ruger polymer mags.
They look and function just fine.

Dos Cylindros
11-28-11, 14:59
A bit late to the party on this one, but I picked up my gunsite scout yesterday!! I have been following this thread, and others for quite some time since this rifle was introduced.

I am very pleased with the rifle so far. I do have a few minor gripes uppon initial inspection. After reading some reviews, I decided to make sure all the screws on the pic rail, rear sight and bottom metal (or plastic in this case) were good and snug. I found the hex screws in the pic rail to be only finger tight, and would have quickly loosened under firing. The rear sight screw was good to go. The screw directly behind the trigger guard was loose and needed to be tightened, as did the 45 degree angle action bedding screw (or whatever Ruger calls it). Other than those minor issues which were easily fixed, it is one fine rifle. I find the stock to be beautifle in person, as is the overall finish on the rifle. The mag feels very robust and well built. The rifle (with one spacer in the stock) fits great, is fast to the shoulder and very handy. Can't wait till next weekend when I have the chance to take it out and sight in the irons.

I am still undecided on an optic, H1/T1, scout scope or XS rail with Trijicon TR24.....time will tell.

jbsmwd
11-28-11, 17:00
A bit late to the party on this one, but I picked up my gunsite scout yesterday!! I have been following this thread, and others for quite some time since this rifle was introduced.

I am very pleased with the rifle so far. I do have a few minor gripes uppon initial inspection. After reading some reviews, I decided to make sure all the screws on the pic rail, rear sight and bottom metal (or plastic in this case) were good and snug. I found the hex screws in the pic rail to be only finger tight, and would have quickly loosened under firing. The rear sight screw was good to go. The screw directly behind the trigger guard was loose and needed to be tightened, as did the 45 degree angle action bedding screw (or whatever Ruger calls it). Other than those minor issues which were easily fixed, it is one fine rifle. I find the stock to be beautifle in person, as is the overall finish on the rifle. The mag feels very robust and well built. The rifle (with one spacer in the stock) fits great, is fast to the shoulder and very handy. Can't wait till next weekend when I have the chance to take it out and sight in the irons.

I am still undecided on an optic, H1/T1, scout scope or XS rail with Trijicon TR24.....time will tell.

Where are the other threads located at I would like to learn as much as possible about this rifle before buying. TIA.

Dos Cylindros
11-28-11, 18:24
Where are the other threads located at I would like to learn as much as possible about this rifle before buying. TIA.

I found most of my info on scoutrifle.org. None of what I mentioned is that big of a deal, you just need to check the screws to avoid some small issues like not being able to get a zero with your optic, or the action being slightly loose. Once tightened, there will be no issues.

hickuleas
11-30-11, 01:30
Bud's has Ruger Scout metal magazines in 5 or 3 round for $25.88. Best price i have seen yet. Several days later the picture has been updated and the description to show these magazines are not metal but the new polymer type.

Jake'sDad
11-30-11, 01:58
Bud's has Ruger Scout metal magazines in 5 or 3 round for $25.88. Best price i have seen yet.

Don't see them. Got a link?

hickuleas
11-30-11, 09:26
Hey Jakes Dad, Go to product search at Bud's and use ruger gunsite. I just checked and they are still in stock

Jake'sDad
11-30-11, 09:55
Hey Jakes Dad, Go to product search at Bud's and use ruger gunsite. I just checked and they are still in stock

Thanks. I tried searching a couple other ways and it didn't come up. Good price.

eternal24k
11-30-11, 10:58
My friend has one with a T-1, it is absolutely bad ass. I am torn between that and a 45-70 lever action with a T-1.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have receiver rail options

Jake'sDad
12-01-11, 19:03
The GSR could use one of these:

http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/slide_images/products/bolt_lift/bolt_lift_top.jpg

Serlo II
12-05-11, 13:24
The GSR could use one of these:

http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/slide_images/products/bolt_lift/bolt_lift_top.jpg

I totally agree. That would be very nice.

Jake'sDad
12-05-11, 13:34
I totally agree. That would be very nice.

Anyone know anybody at KRG? From what I'm hearing, the GSR is selling way beyond Ruger's projections, and since the bolt handle is just a model 77, with tons of those out there too, it would seem like they might have a pretty good size market waiting for it.

I'll take 4 please. ;)

Serlo II
12-05-11, 13:58
I just sent KRG an email asking them to produce one.

Jake'sDad
12-05-11, 16:29
I just sent KRG an email asking them to produce one.

My order for 4 should seal the deal.

Serlo II
12-05-11, 18:37
Here is how they responded to me:

"Sir,
Our Bolt Lifts was designed specifically for the Rem 700. We've had several
customers adapt it to other rifles by carving out the inside a bit with a
dremel. We can't say whether or not it will actually work or not, but if
you purchased one and it looked like it definitely would not work, you could
send it back if you hadn't dremeled on it. Thank you for your interest and
let us know if you have any other questions!
KRG

Kinetic Research Group, ltd. (KRG)
www.KRG-OPS.com"

Jake'sDad
12-06-11, 00:05
Here is how they responded to me:

"Sir,
Our Bolt Lifts was designed specifically for the Rem 700. We've had several
customers adapt it to other rifles by carving out the inside a bit with a
dremel. We can't say whether or not it will actually work or not, but if
you purchased one and it looked like it definitely would not work, you could
send it back if you hadn't dremeled on it. Thank you for your interest and
let us know if you have any other questions!
KRG

Kinetic Research Group, ltd. (KRG)
www.KRG-OPS.com"

Hmmm.... Looks like they aren't planning on more models.

My Dremel Fu isn't the best. Guess I'll wait and see if anyone can make it work.

Andytheleatherguy
01-05-12, 13:58
I found most of my info on scoutrifle.org. ....

Hey..that's my forum!

FYI: I have had a pile of scouts come through the shop for slings, great guns. Just about all of them needed a good cleaning. They are coming through pretty grungy from the factory. Get a couple of cans of gunscrubber and douche them well to get the weird grease/rust/jizzy junk off them. LUBE WELL AFTER. Give special attention to the stock screws, anti-sieze or such is a good idea then torque them down.

Andy

40Arpent
01-05-12, 17:55
...anti-sieze or such...

Don't you mean Loctite or such?

blasternank
01-13-12, 22:21
I like the scout rifle but can't stand the looks of the flash hider. To me it looks hideous but I guess you can take it off.

ST911
01-13-12, 22:58
Saw the left handed variant of the GSR the other day. It was very much to the liking of a southpaw in the shop.

The price was $695. Is that the street price most are seeing?

cqbdriver
01-14-12, 05:42
I like the scout rifle but can't stand the looks of the flash hider. To me it looks hideous but I guess you can take it off.

Yes, it is removable. If you look one page back, you'll see a photo of Robb Jensen's GSR with a BC. I replaced mine with an A2 style.

Saw the left handed variant of the GSR the other day. It was very much to the liking of a southpaw in the shop.

The price was $695. Is that the street price most are seeing?

I'm not sure about left-handed version (since I am a normal person), but $695 is a good price. They seem to go between $700-800.