PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Pages : 1 2 [3]

JBecker 72
01-14-12, 12:43
I paid $750 for my right handed version.

brushy bill
10-31-12, 19:49
Last night at the indoor 50yd NRA range I shot an 8 shot 3/4" group with Federal Fusion 180gr bonded soft point. Nothing spectacular and I hate sighting in rifles indoors and my scope only goes up to 4x. I'll bet outdoors on a 100yd range with 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match it would shoot at least 1MOA using a 3-9x or 3.5-15x scope.

I'm seriously contemplating one of these, but can't find a reliable source on accuracy or hard use. Reports seem to vary dramatically WRT accuracy ...any M4C users with 100yd grouping experience? Notes on durability, problems, any other feedback? Been awhile since the last post and no real info on accuracy since Robb Jensen's post. Thanks as always.

Blayglock
10-31-12, 21:59
I have one of these and really enjoy it. It's a great PA woods gun and I have more fun shooting it than any of my other rifles. I don't find recoil unpleasant in the least.

It shoots 2-2.5" groups @ 100 yards off of bags with Winchester 150 gr hunting ammo. It does not like the 180 win hunting ammo and shoots at 3-4". With 168 gr Amax, a load of Varget on the warm side, and careful handloads I'm down to 1.25" inches @ 100 yards. All of these are with a forward mounted Leupold scout scope.

cqbdriver
11-01-12, 03:22
Using a 3X regular scope off a bench rest, 10 rds, 100 yds:
155gr AMAX 1.5-1.75"
Fed 168 GMK 1.25"
Fed 165 Fusion 2.0"
UMC, Win White box, etc. 2-3"

jbsmwd
11-01-12, 20:24
I would go over to scoutrifle.org and look in the "factory scouts" section about the Ruger Scout.
The my action was rough and needed a lot of work to get it smooth, the ejector was the biggest part of that issuse. I am still learning on how to shoot this rifle, always had pistol grip rilfes, so I can't comment on the accurace but it does kick alot more then my buddies Rem. 700 in 308 with 20'' heavy barrel. I took off the factory flash hinder and replaced it with YHM Phantom 7.62 Comp/Flash Hider and that did help some.

From what I have seen it seems to be a 1.5 to 1.75 MOA for the average user on that forum but they are also using "Scout" optics.

ComeNTakeIt
11-01-12, 21:24
I paid $750 for my right handed version.

Ya dont say? I'd take one for that, no more than that though.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-25-12, 20:34
Picked mine up on election day +1, paid about $750, bought an extra 10rd magazine and a case of 200 .308 rds.

Ive since ran about 60-80 rounds through it, using the stock irons. Ive found that they are (in my sample) just about dead on. We've been shooting clays out to 100 yds without issue. The furthest Ive shot is 300-400 yards with it, had no problem scoring hits on a standard "dog" target. Recoil is standard of a .308 rifle, but easily manageable. I dont see a reason to upgrade to another muzzle break as the recoil really is not that bad, at least for me. I wish I had bought two 5 rd magazines instead of the extra 10 rd. The magazine, as expected, does extend quite a ways and makes it hard to carry in an atv/horse scabbard.

I have had a few instances where the first round was extremely hard to rack into the chamber. Its almost as if the feed lips of the magazine where not aligning with the bolt. Both magazines when loaded to 9 rounds did not exhibit this issue. This happened to me twice, so I will have to shoot more and will report back.

I have yet to determine what scope I would like to place on it. For now, I think I will follow the purist route and mount either the Leupold or Burris scout scope with the supplied rings. I am warming up to the idea of a TR24 mounted using the dovetail cutouts on the receiver, but that will have to come later as funds permit. Having never used a ching sling, I will have to research more before investing in an expensive piece of leather.

My ultimate goal for this rifle is essentially a "ranch rifle". Magazine fed, low power optic for faster aiming, short barrel, and powerful enough to drop Colorado game if called upon to do so. I really do believe that this rifle will fit the bill.

uwe1
11-26-12, 10:05
I have had a few instances where the first round was extremely hard to rack into the chamber. Its almost as if the feed lips of the magazine where not aligning with the bolt. Both magazines when loaded to 9 rounds did not exhibit this issue. This happened to me twice, so I will have to shoot more and will report back.

I have yet to determine what scope I would like to place on it. For now, I think I will follow the purist route and mount either the Leupold or Burris scout scope with the supplied rings. I am warming up to the idea of a TR24 mounted using the dovetail cutouts on the receiver, but that will have to come later as funds permit. Having never used a ching sling, I will have to research more before investing in an expensive piece of leather.

A good friend of mine has one. I've been fortunate enough to shoot it a good amount and the experience was positive enough that I wouldn't mind owning one if the price was right.

The feeding issue that you mentioned happens with his also. It's extremely frustrating when it happens and it happens with both the Ruger factory mags and the AI mags. Also, if one doesn't positively work the bolt, the round will chamber, but the extractor will not catch on the rim of the case (gun won't fire, live round won't extract). The only work around that he has done is to push the round out from the muzzle (bolt to the rear of course).

He started with the Burris scout scope, but wasn't satisfied with the concept or the quality of the glass and ended up with the XS rail and TR24G.

notofnow
01-22-13, 21:05
Just purchased a GSR and should have it in hand next week. Of course this thing begs the question of how to configure it so my initial thought is the xs rail and an Accupoint TR21. The reason for TR21 is fairly long eye relief, dual illuminated and light weight. I thought about the TR24 but due to eye relief I would have to remove the rear site which I would rather not do.

My question is does anyone have the gsr with xs sights and TR21 scope? If you, do you have a pic and does the scope have enough eye relief so that i can mount it without removing the rear site?

8th
01-23-13, 14:13
If you go with a either of the newer Leupold Variable IER scopes you will end up with the rear of the scope sitting .5-1" in front of the rear sight. I consider them a conventional scope with longer eye relief rather than a scout scope. The VXR gives you a day light visible dot, and both mount in low rings giving you an optic that sits close to the bore. Another plus is that you save money on not having to buy the XS rail.

At this point I have experience with the original Leupold 2x, the newer Leupold 2.5, Burris 2-7 (pistol scope), and the VXR 1.5-5 IER on several different scout rifles. I also have been hands on a bit with the regular IER 1.25-4 on a friends rifle and a nikon pistol variable on another friends rifle. If weight is an option then the non-illuminated IER is my choice and if illumination is wanted the VXR. In fact the VXR might be my all around favorite scope period.

One thing I will say is that driving this gun is different from say driving a Remington 700 and way different from driving a semi-auto, and that is where I think a lot of the criticism of accuracy and a "rough" action come from. I have been hands on with around 10 so far and none of them have had a rough action. Are they as smooth as a stock 700 for instance, nope, but then again neither is a true mauser action or even most Winchester Mdl 70 actions that I have intereacted with that haven't been cycled a bunch.

My rifle so far has been reliable and accurate with the exception that there is a bit to much tension on the extractor, which sometimes makes it hard to chamber a round especially if you aren't treating it like a mauser style action. The easiest solution would be to alleviate some of the tension, but I am waiting to see if it loosens up on its own.

Accuracy to date has been around 2 moa from the prone off a pack with mil-surp. I haven't shot it with anything more accurate yet as I am just getting rounds through it test it and get familiar with it, and will wait to sight it in with more expensive ammunition before hunting season next year.

notofnow
01-23-13, 19:01
If you go with a either of the newer Leupold Variable IER scopes you will end up with the rear of the scope sitting .5-1" in front of the rear sight. I consider them a conventional scope with longer eye relief rather than a scout scope. The VXR gives you a day light visible dot, and both mount in low rings giving you an optic that sits close to the bore. Another plus is that you save money on not having to buy the XS rail.

At this point I have experience with the original Leupold 2x, the newer Leupold 2.5, Burris 2-7 (pistol scope), and the VXR 1.5-5 IER on several different scout rifles. I also have been hands on a bit with the regular IER 1.25-4 on a friends rifle and a nikon pistol variable on another friends rifle. If weight is an option then the non-illuminated IER is my choice and if illumination is wanted the VXR. In fact the VXR might be my all around favorite scope period.

One thing I will say is that driving this gun is different from say driving a Remington 700 and way different from driving a semi-auto, and that is where I think a lot of the criticism of accuracy and a "rough" action come from. I have been hands on with around 10 so far and none of them have had a rough action. Are they as smooth as a stock 700 for instance, nope, but then again neither is a true mauser action or even most Winchester Mdl 70 actions that I have intereacted with that haven't been cycled a bunch.

My rifle so far has been reliable and accurate with the exception that there is a bit to much tension on the extractor, which sometimes makes it hard to chamber a round especially if you aren't treating it like a mauser style action. The easiest solution would be to alleviate some of the tension, but I am waiting to see if it loosens up on its own.

Accuracy to date has been around 2 moa from the prone off a pack with mil-surp. I haven't shot it with anything more accurate yet as I am just getting rounds through it test it and get familiar with it, and will wait to sight it in with more expensive ammunition before hunting season next year.

The 2 scopes I'm eyeing right now are the Tr21 and Leupold VXii variable scout. Looked at the vxr scout but the Tr21 is suppose to be lighter, shorter and I like the tritium/fiber. I just don't know about the eye relief because i can't find one around here. It supposedly has a much longer eye relief than what trijicon states it has which leads me to believe it may be closer to an IER scope.

The vxr is a fine scope because i have Patrol version which I really like but i think in this case I would be happier with the TR21 if it will work. It's funny because when I bought the VXR patrol, the decision was between it and a TR24. Weight and cost were the deciding factors.

Anyways, will probably go with the VXii if i don't hear any feedback on tr21 because the only thing it lacks is the illuminated dot. Would like an illuminated dot as long as i don't put on too much weight because of it. Someone else i know got a gsr and he just bought hi-lux 2x7 scout so will probably wait for it before i make a purchase

8th
01-23-13, 19:46
The weight of the VXR is why I say might be my favorite. I currently have both a 2.5 fixed, which strangely enough is about the same weight as the non-illuminated variable, and the VXR mounted and sighted in on my rifle. The idea being I can switch back and forth between each scope on the same outing to test if the weight of the VXR is a deal breaker for me.

I can't help with the TR scopes. I was thinking about one for an AR, but after a buddy had to send to nib back because they wouldn't track during sight in I decided to leave them alone. He ended up requesting another scope from SWFA where he bought it so who knows third time could have been the charge. Granted it is a sample of two, but I have never had an issue with Leupolds to date.

JBecker 72
01-23-13, 20:48
I sold mine 6 months ago because I didn't think I had a need for it and now I miss it. :( Think I will try to get another soon. I really liked that rifle.

Moral of the story, don't sell guns.

Tokarev
01-23-13, 20:55
I sold mine 6 months ago because I didn't think I had a need for it and now I miss it. :( Think I will try to get another soon. I really liked that rifle.

Moral of the story, don't sell guns.

Maybe try to pick one of these up. I like the idea of the stainless steel finish for an "all use" type of rifle.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6822.jpg

decodeddiesel
01-23-13, 22:04
Damn, the stainless looks good.

I have really been considering the idea of one of these rifles with a 1-6x optic.

ldirel
02-02-13, 21:12
Just stumbled across this section of the forums today and figured I should share. After all, I've learned a lot of stuff from this site and think I should give a little back.

I've had my RGSR for 14 months now and enjoy it more today than the day I brought it home. I had it out shooting some 2"x5" sections of I-beams today at 200 yards and was knocking them down consistently from an improvised bench. I have the 2.5x Leupold mounted and have shot it out to 300 yards with no qualms.

I've posted the data I've collected over on scoutrifle.org but I'm having trouble loading those forums for some reason right now. When I can get it to load I'll transfer the data. For now, know this, with a FXII 2.5x28 scout scope in TPS mounts, DIY ching sling, 3 rounds poly mag, and a thread protector in place of the flash hider my scout weights a hair over 7.7 lbs. That's just barely over the upper limit of the Colonels original definition.

boogergoo
02-03-13, 01:42
I called around my town looking for one of these. Was told by two stores that their order had been cancelled and a third store told me to try back NEXT YEAR, as in 11 months from now.

JBecker 72
02-03-13, 01:44
Maybe try to pick one of these up. I like the idea of the stainless steel finish for an "all use" type of rifle.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6822.jpg

Oh that's pretty cool. Never seen one like that.

decodeddiesel
02-03-13, 12:16
I called around my town looking for one of these. Was told by two stores that their order had been cancelled and a third store told me to try back NEXT YEAR, as in 11 months from now.

That is just ridiculous.

jbsmwd
02-03-13, 12:57
look on the good side of that, least he will be able to pick up magazines when he buys the gun 1 year from now. Hell, for 6 weeks I have been trying to get 3 mags from Chris the owner of that one man show called Alpha Industries.

ThirdWatcher
02-03-13, 15:25
I just received my Alpha Industries Mfg. mags the other day and they are well worth the wait... my other mags are now relegated to the role of range mags.

jbsmwd
02-03-13, 16:14
I just received my Alpha Industries Mfg. mags the other day and they are well worth the wait... my other mags are now relegated to the role of range mags.

What was your wait time?

I got 2 AI 10 round mags that are a lot nicer then the Ruger steel mags as far as the finish, I can feel it in the cycling of the bolt handle. The polymer 10 round mags suck, brand new and they do not have enough strength in the spring to push up the rounds all the way up. Start having problems with it around 7-8 rounds left in the magazine.

JBecker 72
02-03-13, 17:31
Thanks for your experience with the plastic mags. I will stick to the factory and aftermarket steel mags.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

MCS
02-03-13, 18:02
I've been looking everywhere for a decent deal for a gsr.

Tokarev
02-03-13, 18:16

I assume he's fixed the compatibility issues?

JBecker 72
02-03-13, 18:22
I've been looking everywhere for a decent deal for a gsr.

I hear you. I stopped in my local store Friday and found one for $825. That's more than I paid a year ago in California. Never should have sold mine.

jbsmwd
02-03-13, 19:26
Thanks for your experience with the plastic mags. I will stick to the factory and aftermarket steel mags.

Just so that everybody understands that the Ruger plastic/polymer mags that have the problem NOT the Ruger/Accu-Mag steel magazines. And the AI magazines are better then those

Ruger plastic/polymer 10 round = Weak springs (Bad)
Ruger/Accu-Mag steel magazines 10 round = Work (Good)
AI AICS 10 round magazines = Work but smoother (Better)
Alpha Industries Mfg. = ???? (still waiting for delivery)

At least that's been my experience.

ThirdWatcher
02-03-13, 20:28
What was your wait time?

Ordered 1/11/2013 and Delivered 2/1/2013. Under the current conditions, I don't think that is excessive. Under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn't have any problem waiting that long for a quality product anyway.

jbsmwd
02-03-13, 20:56
Ordered 1/11/2013 and Delivered 2/1/2013. Under the current conditions, I don't think that is excessive. Under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn't have any problem waiting that long for a quality product anyway.

Ordered 12/20/12 and still waiting.

ldirel
02-04-13, 05:19

You'll love it.

I know 2 people that waited 6 months last spring/summer. They both think it was worth it.

Sent from my HTC using magic.

jbjh
02-04-13, 12:13
Just purchased a GSR and should have it in hand next week. Of course this thing begs the question of how to configure it so my initial thought is the xs rail and an Accupoint TR21. The reason for TR21 is fairly long eye relief, dual illuminated and light weight. I thought about the TR24 but due to eye relief I would have to remove the rear site which I would rather not do.

My question is does anyone have the gsr with xs sights and TR21 scope? If you, do you have a pic and does the scope have enough eye relief so that i can mount it without removing the rear site?

I don't know how much time, if any, you've had with the TR21, but with the same I handled, I found the optics to be less that stellar. The eye box was really fussy with very little forgiveness in where I place my head. And the edges of the glass looked like they forget to grind the optic out all the way. Maybe it was a bad sample, but I'm not going to spend a ton of time or money to find out.

ThirdWatcher
02-05-13, 00:39
I assume he's fixed the compatibility issues?

I don't know anything about compatibility issues, but I'm new to the game. The mags I bought are made specifically for the Ruger GSR: http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

cqbdriver
02-05-13, 03:14
I don't know anything about compatibility issues, but I'm new to the game. The mags I bought are made specifically for the Ruger GSR: http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

Interesting. I got two of Alpha mags when the GSR came out. Both mags had problems. First mag's back wall was too high and would catch the bolt. I fixed it myself. The 2nd mag, never worked reliably.

The Ruger Accurate mag works great, but is huge. I like the Ruger plastic mags, but 1 of the 3 10rd mags that I own doesn't feed properly. Also, the spring seems weak. I still use their 3rd mag for hunting.

I would like to hear your feedback on the alpha GSR mag. If it good-to-go, I may give them another try.

ldirel
02-05-13, 09:26
Interesting. I got two of Alpha mags when the GSR came out. Both mags had problems. First mag's back wall was too high and would catch the bolt. I fixed it myself. The 2nd mag, never worked reliably.

The Ruger Accurate mag works great, but is huge. I like the Ruger plastic mags, but 1 of the 3 10rd mags that I own doesn't feed properly. Also, the spring seems weak. I still use their 3rd mag for hunting.

I would like to hear your feedback on the alpha GSR mag. If it good-to-go, I may give them another try.

I too am interested to hear more about the Alpha mags. I know alpha has redesigned the mag and offers a product specifically for the GSR now but I haven't convinced myself to try them yet. I do like the size of the Alpha mags a lot.

On the other hand the poly mag issue is something I'm familiar with. I won't post a link because I'm unsure of this boards stance on outside links but on Andy's scout forum they've found removing a little material from the feed lips to alleviate the problem. Alternatively others have played with C.O.L. to get them to work.

Personally only one of my three 10 round poly mags gives me a problem. My 3 round mag functions flawlessly. I am discouraged by the weak spring in all of them.

I've never seen or heard of an issue with any of the 10 round Accurate mags supplied by Ruger I've dealt with (about 6?).

jbsmwd
02-05-13, 13:39
On the other hand the poly mag issue is something I'm familiar with. I won't post a link because I'm unsure of this boards stance on outside links but on Andy's scout forum they've found removing a little material from the feed lips to alleviate the problem. Alternatively others have played with C.O.L. to get them to work.

Personally only one of my three 10 round poly mags gives me a problem. My 3 round mag functions flawlessly. I am discouraged by the weak spring in all of them. More like very disappointed with Ruger with the whole magazine problem

I've never seen or heard of an issue with any of the 10 round Accurate mags supplied by Ruger I've dealt with (about 6?).

PM sent.

ldirel
02-06-13, 10:36
PM sent.

Replied.

And because everyone likes pictures here's my GSR. Total weight is 7.76lbs all scoped up. It would actually make weight if I took the scope off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMGP3012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMGP3009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMGP3013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMGP3016.jpg

The biggest weight savings comes from ditching the clunky 8.35 oz factory magazine (that thing weighs over 1/2 a pound!). I much prefer the 3 round mag with the option of playing with the 10 rounders. IMO this versatility is superior to a plain jane blind magazine. I've got no feeding issues with the 3 round magazine and frequently carry 3+1 in the field. The excellent 3 position safety makes this even more possible but of course a good safety is still no substitute for gun safety.

With the thick recoil pad I find the spacers shipped with the gun completely unnecessary. I'm 6'2" and wear a 42R suit coat and I shoot somewhat "squared up" in the offhand position. *

The Leupold scout scope is mounted in alloy TPS rings. According to the guys at SWFA TPS used to make Leupold Mark IV rings and still make the rings for Badger Ordinance. I actually went to their store front with the gun and scope and had their assistance in picking out the lightest rings possible that could be removed with relative ease in the field. Unfortunately I forgot to weigh them before mounting the scope. I am thinking about changing them out for some Tally's with quick release levers.

What I have weighed:
The Ruger Flash hider weighs 1.94 ounces.
The YHM thread protector weighs .27 ounces for a 1.67 ounce difference. When not using factory loads the flash hider is unnecessary. But when using factory loads... stand back! Personally I like the slightly shorter weapon and accept the trade off.

The sling is a Winchester branded sling from Walmart with the polymer sling swivels and a "slider" from the replacement polymer buckle kit over in the camping section. This has been modified to function similar to the Galco "Ching Sling."

For comparison Federal Blue Box 150 grain loads showed a minimal velocity loss in the GSR.
20" AR10 in .308 averaged 2724 fps.
RGSR averaged 2576 fps.

A 150 Grain Corelokt over 46 grains of Varget and a CCI 200 Primer averaged 2561 out of the GSR and displayed consistent velocities. Flash was negligible and this has become my preferred 150 grain load for this gun since it very closely mimics factory loads.

ThirdWatcher
02-26-13, 02:41

Did your mags ever arrive? Since my last post, I took my rifle and Alpha mags to the range and these things function flawlessly. I know they're kinda expensive (up in HK territory) but they are very well made and well worth the wait.

tgizzard
02-26-13, 05:57
Just stumbled across this thread. I recently picked up a GSR, I love it. Looking for advice on a good forward scope to put up on the rail. Any suggestions, advice? :confused:

rodinal220
02-26-13, 10:41
The fixed power offerings from Lupy and Burris are the most popular.There are some variable power offerings,and some folks have used long eye relief pistol scopes.I run the Lupy fixed scout scope on mine and it works well.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/

http://www.burrisoptics.com/special1.html#2x

Ick
02-26-13, 10:50
Bought one of these for my Ruger Scout:

Leupold 1.5-5x33 VX-R Scout Scope

Perfect placement on the rail in order to avoid the ejecting case. Great scope designed just for this purpose.

Ick
02-26-13, 10:51
Found it:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R-Scout-Scope-P51466.aspx

$600 ~ reasonable

jbsmwd
02-26-13, 23:34
Did your mags ever arrive? Since my last post, I took my rifle and Alpha mags to the range and these things function flawlessly. I know they're kinda expensive (up in HK territory) but they are very well made and well worth the wait.

I got two of three. Long story don't ask.

I have found that there is a problem with Alpha Mag and LEFT-hand Ruger scouts. The ejector and the right feed lip want to share the same space. Result: bent feed lip on the magazine. Called Chris @ Alpha Mag to tell him. Sent him a hacked-up magazine that has clearence for the ejector and room for magazine wiggle should the magazine get bumped or pressure applied to the magazine body. He has notified but does not have a LEFT-hand model at his shop. So I am trying to help. Found out that the magazine have mild heat treatment done to the steel so if you need to change the feed lips you can.

ThirdWatcher
02-27-13, 05:23
Sorry to hear that. It never occurred to me that the mag would be different for a LH action.:(

jbsmwd
02-27-13, 08:13
Sorry to hear that. It never occurred to me that the mag would be different for a LH action.:(

I think that its the other way around why is the LH action different from the RH action? Should it not just be a mirror image?!?:confused:

tgizzard
03-01-13, 13:25
After returning home from shooting this morning I was cleaning and inspecting my rifle when I came across this mess. It looks like surface rust? I really don't know how this could have happened; I keep my guns clean, oiled and, stored in a safe which I have climate controlled.

However if it is what I fear it is (surface rust) do any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I've seriously never had a firearm rust before, so I'm in uncharted territory right now. :confused:

xjustintimex
03-01-13, 15:24
After returning home from shooting this morning I was cleaning and inspecting my rifle when I came across this mess. It looks like surface rust? I really don't know how this could have happened; I keep my guns clean, oiled and, stored in a safe which I have climate controlled.

However if it is what I fear it is (surface rust) do any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I've seriously never had a firearm rust before, so I'm in uncharted territory right now. :confused:

Not seeing it, but surface rust comes off with steel wool and quality gun oil

JBecker 72
03-01-13, 15:50
Isn't that part aluminum?

tgizzard
03-01-13, 16:03
Not seeing it, but surface rust comes off with steel wool and quality gun oil

this tells me I shouldn't worry as much about it as I originally thought. But I'll hit that spot up with some steel wool and oil tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.

cqbdriver
03-01-13, 17:41
My GSR was coated with a brownish rust preventive coating when I bought it. I just used CLP to clean it off.

seb5
03-03-13, 18:06
I got two of three. Long story don't ask.

I have found that there is a problem with Alpha Mag and LEFT-hand Ruger scouts. The ejector and the right feed lip want to share the same space. Result: bent feed lip on the magazine. Called Chris @ Alpha Mag to tell him. Sent him a hacked-up magazine that has clearence for the ejector and room for magazine wiggle should the magazine get bumped or pressure applied to the magazine body. He has notified but does not have a LEFT-hand model at his shop. So I am trying to help. Found out that the magazine have mild heat treatment done to the steel so if you need to change the feed lips you can.

Damn, I have a LH rifle arriving this week and had already ordered 2 AI mags and 2 Ruger 3 rounders. I hope I can make them work with a little file or dremel work.

jbsmwd
03-11-13, 08:34
Damn, I have a LH rifle arriving this week and had already ordered 2 AI mags and 2 Ruger 3 rounders. I hope I can make them work with a little file or dremel work.

the issues is just with the Alpha Mags in LH rifles.

seb5
03-11-13, 10:18
Mine are from Alpha Industries. Are there 2 different Alpha's? I have the mags and gun shows arriving today so I'll know soon.

jbsmwd
03-11-13, 19:14
Mine are from Alpha Industries. Are there 2 different Alpha's? I have the mags and gun shows arriving today so I'll know soon.

Sorry when you said AI, I was thinking Accuracy International not Alpha Industries.

Technically speaking yes there are 2 different mags that Alpha Industries makes that fit the RGS but it's the internal lenght of the magazine that makes the differnce (longer bullets to get closer to the rifling). But the feed lip are the same on both types of magazine. I had to notch out a small section on the back of the right feed lip because the ejector wanted to share the same space. Once that was done it all works.

seb5
03-11-13, 21:41
Sorry when you said AI, I was thinking Accuracy International not Alpha Industries.

Technically speaking yes there are 2 different mags that Alpha Industries makes that fit the RGS but it's the internal lenght of the magazine that makes the differnce (longer bullets to get closer to the rifling). But the feed lip are the same on both types of magazine. I had to notch out a small section on the back of the right feed lip because the ejector wanted to share the same space. Once that was done it all works.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look it over and work it over if needed. Did you use a file, dremel, or something else?

jbsmwd
03-11-13, 23:01
Thanks for the clarification. I'll look it over and work it over if needed. Did you use a file, dremel, or something else?

I used a dremel for the basic first cut and a file to fit the rest. I also used a Sharpy (fine point) to mark the area that needs to be cut. The heat treatment on the magazine is very mild and the feed lips will bend easily. Push the back of the feed lip in towards the center of the body and then mark the where the ejector hit the feed lip with the magazine in the rifle. Remove the bolt first so it does not get in the way.

Serlo II
03-14-13, 15:06
Last Picture

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r616/Undefineduser45/Scout1_zpsc91171e9.jpeg

I have to sell this rifle :(
It's listed on the equipment exchange.

Ick
03-15-13, 10:11
First class picture, the selection of the background really sets off the finish of the wood.

xjustintimex
03-15-13, 10:27
Last Picture

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r616/Undefineduser45/Scout1_zpsc91171e9.jpeg

what rail/rings are those?

Serlo II
03-15-13, 10:29
XS GSR rail with tiny emergency peep sight in rear with badger ordinance rings.

larrys1911
03-15-13, 22:27
Last Picture

Nice Rig

azeriosu85
08-04-13, 21:22
guy wants to trade me a ruger GSR for my Gen 4 FDE Glock 21 with 10 mags, should i bite?

gun71530
08-04-13, 21:47
guy wants to trade me a ruger GSR for my Gen 4 FDE Glock 21 with 10 mags, should i bite?

If you have other pistols, I would.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

zen_grasshopper
08-05-13, 20:50
Love this rifle it is my new go everywhere do anything rifle. Can't wait to slay a deer with it this fall.

I am not a rifle guy more of a hand gunner but this rifle just hits a sweet spot with me.

http://db.tt/DH0zW5JU

Jon

ldirel
08-05-13, 22:19
Love this rifle it is my new go everywhere do anything rifle. Can't wait to slay a deer with it this fall.

I am not a rifle guy more of a hand gunner but this rifle just hits a sweet spot with me.

http://db.tt/DH0zW5JU

Jon

Get it ready for stalking the woods with a synthetic Rhodesian sling, 3 round mag, thread protector, and no forward rail. It'll make the gun handle so much better.

azeriosu85
08-06-13, 02:28
If you have other pistols, I would.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Traded. Way happy :-)

except i ****ed up the stock already by accidently sitting it on "powder Blast" on the bench, peeled off the polymer laminate coating. Called ruger....Switch it for a brand new one for FREE and they will overnight it to me :-) awesome

azeriosu85
08-06-13, 02:32
Get it ready for stalking the woods with a synthetic Rhodesian sling, 3 round mag, thread protector, and no forward rail. It'll make the gun handle so much better.

Any links to this sling or similar?

ldirel
08-06-13, 04:12
Any links to this sling or similar?

Here's how I made mine. It weighs 2.5 oz as shown. I have about $12 in the sling and it works fantastic and I've used it with no issues for 2.5 years now. The GSR is my go to gun hinting pigs, coyote, and dear. Plus it almost always rides with me around the ranch so it has seen a lot of field time. My AR rarely leaves the safe these days.

I later found out Andy of Scoutrifle.org sells a leather version and had coined a name for it based off the customer who requested from Rhodesia. I was just calling it a Ching sling since I patterned it after the Galco "Ching" sling.

It would be a simple enough process to make it more adjustable but no one else shoots my rifle so I've never bothered.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMAG0102_zps8910ab6c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/veriest1/IMAG0106_zps3ab0e2c2.jpg

To sling up you simply shove your forearm through the front loop and pull it up above your elbow. It's very fast.

zen_grasshopper
08-06-13, 19:16

It has a TIS slip cuff sling on it, I prefer it to the Rhodesian almost as fast but allows me to sling up better.

ldirel
08-07-13, 01:27
I can't really tell a difference myself. I shoot about 1.5 moa from slung prone with either style.

azeriosu85
08-08-13, 12:31
Just a quick note on the Ruger polymer mags. Yes they appear to have very weak magazine springs, when loading and playing with them at home I was....unimpressed, however, after putting over 80 rounds through a "weak " one without any incidents i'm thinking it will be a non issue. I shot rapid fire, slow fire, sideways, supporting the rifle on the mag, holding the mag etc, etc. And it was extremely smooth feeding throughout. Now the Steel mag however, pain in the ass, and choppy feeding.:cool:

Just my personal experience. Also rifle is very accurate but lets me know how badly i suck standing with Iron sights hahaha

Boba Fett v2
02-12-15, 06:27
My Scout Rifle is set up as a defensive rifle as it's primary role, and hunting/utility as a secondary role. The components I've selected to modify the GSR to fill these roles reflect this. Mostly it all boils down to how you see yourself employing the weapon system. I have several rifles, and each serves a special purpose. The GSR is intended to be a truck gun, or something that I can tote around with me when I'm out and about in the wild. It's a weapon that I could travel with to most places across the US, and keep close at hand for any unforeseen contingency. It would also be more effective at stopping a potential threat at distance than say a handgun or a PDW. As a bonus, it could bring down medium to large sized game if called upon to do so.

KAC 7.62/.308 QDC Flash Hider - As stated previously, I wanted to retain optimum flash suppression and did not care for the stock flash suppressor. I just happened to have the KAC QDC flash hider on hand and it wasn't mounted to anything so I threw it on the GSR to gauge it's effectiveness. I know others would prefer a brake or comp, but my reasons for wanting a flash hider is to retain a tactical advantage over any potential aggressor. What I mean by that is leveraging the ability to reduce a visual signature since my rate of fire is not equal to that of a semi-auto. And since a bolt action rifle forces you to take deliberate well-placed shots, I feel it's more important to reduce your visual signature as opposed to having the ability to make quick follow-up shots, which I think is more of an added benefit for semi-autos. If you find yourself in a situation where you're facing multiple aggressors, your best bet is to find a good hide or displace anyway. So for me a flash suppressor makes more sense.

Tactical Bolt Knob Conversion - Achieves better overall control of the bolt, especially with gloved hands or in a potential high stress situation. There's now plenty of clearance when manipulating the bolt, and my hand no longer rubs against the eyepiece housing when doing so. It also enhances the rifles aesthetics considerably, but I know that's purely subjective.

Harris S-BRM 6"-9" Bipod - While it does add some weight to the front end of the GSR, I've always considered a bipod to be one of those "better to have and not need, than to need and not have" components. If forced into a survival situation and I needed to make a critical shot, I would rather have the ability to make the platform a bit more stable for a more precise shot. Notice I didn't say "precision" as that is not the purpose of this rifle.

XS Sight Systems GSR Rail - I knew when I purchased the GSR I was not going to forward mount a LERS on it. The XS rail was really a no-brainer for me, allowing you to mount an optic in a more tradition fashion toward the rear and yet retain the ability to use BUIS should your optic go down.

Steiner Military 1-4x24 Rapid Dot .308 LPVO - When it came to optics I ran through several configurations before I ultimately settled on this one, the first being the PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. While that scope seemed to fill the role nicely at first, I realized that it's not what I really wanted for this particular rifle. It was just a bit more complex than what the rifle was intended for. Shortly after, I switched to a PA micro RDS that was mounted mid-way on the XS rail. What I really liked about that set-up was the reduced weight, simplicity, and the speed and efficiency of the RDS. Combined, it really made the GSR even more handy and easy to manipulate. However, I kept thinking to myself that there may come a time that I wish I had at least some magnification on tap, and it bugged me to the point I decided that I needed to find an alternate solution. For a short time following I used the Ruger supplied scope rings and mounted a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 Accu-Range. I really liked the scope and it's very simple yet effective reticle. I might've kept this set-up, only there was one critical thing I lost, which was the ability to use back-up iron sights should the need arise. And when you really think about it, to me the GSR is really meant for close engagements within a hundred yards, retaining optimal effectiveness out to maybe 300 or 400 yards. In essence, all that magnification is really not needed anyway. So off went the Revolution, and back on came the naked XS rail. At that point I started looking at 1-x solutions. The problem was that it was tough finding anything that had most of the features I really wanted at a price point I was comfortable with. I had a tried a number of 1-x LPVOs on my AR platforms, so I was familiar with their capability. However, they were all somewhat lacking in some way or another. Then I came across a great deal on a used Steiner 1-4x, which was too good a deal to pass up. It had most of the features I was looking for and the price I paid was significantly below $1K. Perfect! The scope has exceptional optical clarity, a daylight visible illuminated dot right in the middle of a very simple BDC reticle, and it is very rugged and durable. My biggest gripe is that the scope does not have capped turrets, which would've made it even better. Another nitpicky thing is an auto-shut off feature that completely powers down the optic when left on any of the stand-by settings for a period of time. However, this auto shut off only applies to stand-by mode and does not affect the dot illumination when running continuously. Since Steiner doesn't advertise the projected battery life I have no idea how long I can expect the dot to stay on continuously before the battery drains. But the reticle is still usable without the illuminated dot, as long as you don't find yourself in a dark environment with no contrast in the background to highlight the reticle. In short, the Steiner 1-4x is just as quick and effective as any RDS when set to 1x. The length and weight doesn't bother me a bit, and I think it balances out the rifle nicely considering the weight of the bipod added on the front end. All things considered, this scope seems to be the perfect solution at this point in time, especially given the fact that you can expect to pay north of $1K in most cases for a quality illuminated daylight visible red dot in an LPVO. I know Leupold offers this feature in some of their economy scopes, so that might have been an option as well.

Warne 30mm QD Rings - Without a doubt probably the best quality quick detach scope rings you can buy without having to sell a kidney.

Alpha Industries 10 rnd GSR Magazines - IMO much better than the stock Accurate-Mag that comes with the rifle. Mine failed and Ruger sent a polymer replacement, which works much better. Nothing against polymer, but I still wanted some quality steel mags. The AI magazines are compact, double-stacked, and are extremely well made. The best part is the magazine will only engage or disengage when the bolt is in the open position, so you can't inadvertently bump the mag release lever and lose the magazine. Not sure if AI intended this when they designed the magazine (I didn't see it advertised on their web site and I don't think I've seen a review that mentions this feature), but all I know is that I'm happy with the end result.

I've considered off-set mounting an IR laser designator to the forward end of the XS rail to use in conjunction with a night vision device for this particular application, or at least have that ability on hand in the future for when I go hog hunting down in Texas. Just adds more capability to an already capable system when you need it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2629/gpwVof.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img631/6788/Sw9FZ9.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9444/rhWaMj.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img913/5987/MonC4X.jpg

Mr. Clean
02-12-15, 07:07
Boba -

Good write up. Thank you for your thoughts on the platform / options you chose.

Question for you, what tactical bolt knob is that / who did the work for you?

Smash
02-12-15, 07:52
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9444/rhWaMj.jpg

I'm glad to see the rail is working out for you. Shoot me a PM. I've got something for you.

Boba Fett v2
02-12-15, 08:51
Boba -

Good write up. Thank you for your thoughts on the platform / options you chose.

Question for you, what tactical bolt knob is that / who did the work for you?

You'll want to get in touch with Andrew Delikat at AD Arms: ad_arms1@yahoo.com (701) 269-1986

Not sure of the make/manufacture of the knob, but it was included as part of a package deal.

I'm glad to see the rail is working out for you. Shoot me a PM. I've got something for you.

Rgr thanks.

Mr. Clean
02-12-15, 10:22
Thank you.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-16-15, 18:24
Took it out again today! (4 days in a row LIKE A BOSS).

Today I practiced off my bags at 200 with my Surefire can. I unscrewed the thread protector hand hand screwed on a flash hider. I have no intention of permanently attaching it, I will leave the FH in the bag for any silencer needs.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8649/16528584816_24ce0eeb6d_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rbzjqh)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/rbzjqh) by stoiclawyer (https://www.flickr.com/people/52942291@N00/), on Flickr

I shot some 168 Grain Federal Gold Medal match and was able to shoot this group at 200 yards which I think is pretty damn good (1.25 max center to center).

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/16368305269_1e32b57c87_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qWpQTP)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/qWpQTP) by stoiclawyer (https://www.flickr.com/people/52942291@N00/), on Flickr

I eyeballed it before I shot it to make sure that it lined up right and it did. I think the gun shoots better with the can! I was able to shoot a 3 inch group with milsurp with the can.

Interesting trivia, the milsurp does 5 inches with the can and the 168 grain drops 9 inches with the can.

azeriosu85
04-25-15, 21:34
Took it out again today! (4 days in a row LIKE A BOSS).

Today I practiced off my bags at 200 with my Surefire can. I unscrewed the thread protector hand hand screwed on a flash hider. I have no intention of permanently attaching it, I will leave the FH in the bag for any silencer needs.

I shot some 168 Grain Federal Gold Medal match and was able to shoot this group at 200 yards which I think is pretty damn good (1.25 max center to center).

I eyeballed it before I shot it to make sure that it lined up right and it did. I think the gun shoots better with the can! I was able to shoot a 3 inch group with milsurp with the can.

Interesting trivia, the milsurp does 5 inches with the can and the 168 grain drops 9 inches with the can.

DAMN good group!

fmiq
09-11-15, 21:52
Really enjoy my 18" with a Aimpoint 7000sc:cool:

azeriosu85
09-11-15, 22:16

pics or it doesn't exist:cool:

RiflemanBobcat
09-11-15, 22:23

Any chance we can have a look? I'm intrigued.

Also, anyone know about the possibility of getting the 18" model with the polymer stock? That's the setup that has my potential interest.

Eurodriver
09-12-15, 20:16
I'm considering getting one for a brush gun. It looks like everyone uses scopes, but when I handled one the iron sights just felt "sweet". Way nicer than most factory irons, even AR15s.

I just want to keep the weight down and be able to score solid <200 yard hits on deer. Where I hunt it's mostly thick pine forest but there are areas that were cleared by loggers which can stretch quite a ways. This rifle looks like the ticket.

Should I get the 18" or 16.5"? SS or Steel? I have a suppressor if that matters, and suppressed hunting is legal in my state now.

Tokarev
09-12-15, 20:31
The rear sight is pretty cheesy. It is held to the receiver with one screw and is also hard to adjust. Once you get it zeroed keep an eye on it so it doesn't come lose from recoil and ruin your zero.

Eurodriver
09-12-15, 21:31
The rear sight is pretty cheesy. It is held to the receiver with one screw and is also hard to adjust. Once you get it zeroed keep an eye on it so it doesn't come lose from recoil and ruin your zero.

Thanks for that. I didn't really pick up on it handling the rifle. Maybe I'll reconsider a scope, but I have no experience with scout scopes.

Pawnee
09-12-15, 21:41
I can't vouch yet as to the ruggedness of the rear sight, but it is a very capable 100 yard set up. 200 yards is a stretch though. And as much as I love the peep sight, it disappears in low light conditions. I am trying to run a scope on mine and keep the peep as a BUIS.

In regard to which barrel length, the newest version (mine is stainless) has a free-floated barrel (16"). I am not sure if the 18" is free-floated.

Eurodriver
09-12-15, 22:12
I'm buying mine from buds gun shop.

How do I know if it's free floated?

Don Robison
09-12-15, 22:17
I'm buying mine from buds gun shop.

How do I know if it's free floated?

They all come from the factory with free floating barrels. For the distances you are talking about (which are the same as mine up here in the Panhandle) I went with the 16.5" barrel

azeriosu85
09-12-15, 22:23
16" barrel, rear sight is solid, just mark it for consistently.

Get synthetic stock, it shaves SOO much weight off the rifle, it really feels like a different beast. Plus all of the newer synthetic stock version have a noticeably smoother action.

i run a vortex 1-4x on mine, but might go back to irons for weight

Pawnee
09-13-15, 05:02
This may have been referenced already, but an informative updated review on the "new and improved" GSR with the 16" bbl is posted on Gunblast.com:

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-GSR.htm

Another comment on magazines, I like the polymer ones much better. I have a 5 rounder and the 10 rounder.

Question for Greg Bell: Would you please comment on your scope set up? Is that the 1-6x Leupold Scout Scope you are running on your rifle? How do you like it vs. a conventional scope set up?

Eurodriver
09-13-15, 06:37
Thanks for all of the info.

I watched that review, and saw the synthetic stock. He had high praises for it which surprised me because most synthetic stocks these days are garbage. However, I really want a wood stock on this gun just "because" :)

I'm looking at this rifle: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifleDE/specSheets/6804.html

I like the look of it. 16" barrel. It does appear to be 1/3lb lighter than the laminate stock as well. But I still have no idea what is the best decision. $800 for a hunting rifle is a lot, and I want to think this through practically but I have no basis from which to draw experience.

Bluto
09-13-15, 10:38

Bluto
09-13-15, 10:39
I have a 16.5" steel and had a hell an experience with it. It turned out that the threaded part of the barrel has a slight taper, causing the flash hider to bulge. I ended up sending the rifle to surefire. They made a custom collar and fitted the mount. I found out afterwards that surefire had to do this with several Ruger scout rifles. This was a first generation rifle, so they may have changed the tapering by now. Here's the whole story: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123015&hilit=Surefire+warranty

This being said, it's an awesome gun to suppress. But if I could do it over again, I think it would make a great integrally suppressed platform.

I'm considering getting one for a brush gun. It looks like everyone uses scopes, but when I handled one the iron sights just felt "sweet". Way nicer than most factory irons, even AR15s.

I just want to keep the weight down and be able to score solid <200 yard hits on deer. Where I hunt it's mostly thick pine forest but there are areas that were cleared by loggers which can stretch quite a ways. This rifle looks like the ticket.

Should I get the 18" or 16.5"? SS or Steel? I have a suppressor if that matters, and suppressed hunting is legal in my state now.

WillBrink
09-13-15, 11:13

I watched that review, and saw the synthetic stock. He had high praises for it which surprised me because most synthetic stocks these days are garbage. However, I really want a wood stock on this gun just "because" :)

I'm looking at this rifle: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifleDE/specSheets/6804.html

I like the look of it. 16" barrel. It does appear to be 1/3lb lighter than the laminate stock as well. But I still have no idea what is the best decision. $800 for a hunting rifle is a lot, and I want to think this through practically but I have no basis from which to draw experience.

I might be a big pussy, but I found that little rifle a handful. Personally, wouldn't want to go any lighter as the recoil on the wood version was stout. 20 rnds or so to help a friend zero it in, and I was done. Perhaps a comp and recoil reducer/limbsaver would help. It's not a "fun" rifle to shoot I found, but I liked it a lot. I did find the action a bit sloppy and course and it did tend to bind up on my during quick follow up shots. It was a brand new rifle and others have reported the action does smooth out over time.

Uprange41
09-13-15, 21:56

Have you looked at the Savage Hog Hunter?

The .308 is usually in the $460 neighborhood. From all I've seen on the Savage forum, they're sub-minute out of the box once you find the right load, it has the irons for a brush gun role, a threaded barrel, and you can get a billion stocks for whatever purpose.

I have a .338 Win Mag version, and it's a great little thumper. I dropped mine in a B&C Medalist stock just this afternoon, actually, but you could pick up a Boyd's walnut or laminate stock for about $100 and a steel trigger guard for $20 (because the factory one feels like a toy). Could be a good alternative to the Ruger, and is generally a solid value for a hunting rifle. I've hunted with Savages for years, I've yet to have a problem.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5776/21207088618_a40abc84ed_b.jpg (https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5776/21207088618_c287395313_o.jpg)

brickboy240
09-14-15, 14:53
Wow...a Hog Hunter in 338.

Which would hurt more...your shoulder or wallet?

LOL

Uprange41
09-14-15, 15:54
Wow...a Hog Hunter in 338.

Which would hurt more...your shoulder or wallet?

LOL

It's about 8.25lbs without the scope, just about 9 flat with one, model depending. When I had the factory plastic-fantastic stock on it, I had it weighted down in the butt for balance, and the whole thing was about 9 lbs as well. Total pussycat. Haven't shot it with the new stock, but it's got a better pad, so it should be about the same. It's very similar to shooting slugs out of an 870, and incidentally, I do the same push/pull with this as I do on the 870 when shooting off-hand at closer distances.

It is not, however, a pussycat on the wallet lol.

brickboy240
09-15-15, 15:51
Wow...you'd think that a 338 in that configuration would be a kicker. An 870 launching slugs is not all that bad. I would not want to shoot it all day for fun but for a few shots while hunting it is not too jarring, really.

I bet it lays down the piggies like mad, though. Nothing walks away from that round! LOL

Uprange41
09-16-15, 02:27
Wow...you'd think that a 338 in that configuration would be a kicker. An 870 launching slugs is not all that bad. I would not want to shoot it all day for fun but for a few shots while hunting it is not too jarring, really.

I bet it lays down the piggies like mad, though. Nothing walks away from that round! LOLHaven't had a chance to do any piggie punching with it yet, the rifle is only a few months old, and I've had it on the back burner while I finish other projects, only plinking with it with the irons.

If I can get everything done (still some stuff left to fit on the stock, and I have to get a scope for it as well) before the start of Black Bear season, I'll use it for that. The B&C stock has me so excited about getting it done, it just feels fantastic.

Jake'sDad
09-16-15, 12:11
I might be a big pussy, but I found that little rifle a handful. Personally, wouldn't want to go any lighter as the recoil on the wood version was stout. 20 rnds or so to help a friend zero it in, and I was done. Perhaps a comp and recoil reducer/limbsaver would help. It's not a "fun" rifle to shoot I found, but I liked it a lot. I did find the action a bit sloppy and course and it did tend to bind up on my during quick follow up shots. It was a brand new rifle and others have reported the action does smooth out over time.

It's all relative I guess. My 115 lb ex put several hundred rounds downrange with an 18" GSR, and then used it successfully on several big animals. The range sessions did bruise her up a little, but she shot it well. (She's gone but I still have the rifle... Oh well...)

You're right though, lightweight .308 bolt guns aren't fun for extended shooting, but they're a lot more fun to carry on a hunt. Most of my bolt guns are lightweights since I'm not much of a bench or precision shooter. But minute of Elk at 4-5 hundred yards is still pretty easily attainable with them.

I just bought one of these http://www.kimberamerica.com/adirondack. At 4lbs 13 oz, it's going to be the lightest .308 I own, (got a couple sub 6 lber's though). Haven't set it up or shot it yet. Ought to be ...exhilarating to shoot....

Uprange41
09-16-15, 22:10

I bet it lays down the piggies like mad, though. Nothing walks away from that round! LOL
Just a quick update... I got out and shot it with the new stock today. World of difference in recoil from the factory stock. The impulse seemed slower, and was notably gentler. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I genuinely would have no issues shooting it all day, even off a bench (but that isn't what I got it for). The weight is actually just a couple ounces less now, but if you can shoot any classic .30-06, you could easily shoot this.

I just bought one of these http://www.kimberamerica.com/adirondack. At 4lbs 13 oz, it's going to be the lightest .308 I own, (got a couple sub 6 lber's though). Haven't set it up or shot it yet. Ought to be ...exhilarating to shoot....
Post up a review, if you're so inclined. I was looking hard at getting a Kimber Montana in .338 Win. just a few weeks ago, and the .308 Adirondack really got my attention.

Jake'sDad
09-22-15, 10:25
Post up a review, if you're so inclined. I was looking hard at getting a Kimber Montana in .338 Win. just a few weeks ago, and the .308 Adirondack really got my attention.

I'll try and do that when I get it shooting. Contemplating ways to get some kind of backup irons on it. Nothing really made for it, I'm going to have to get creative.

WillBrink
09-22-15, 10:38
It's all relative I guess. My 115 lb ex put several hundred rounds downrange with an 18" GSR, and then used it successfully on several big animals. The range sessions did bruise her up a little, but she shot it well. (She's gone but I still have the rifle... Oh well...)

You're right though, lightweight .308 bolt guns aren't fun for extended shooting, but they're a lot more fun to carry on a hunt. Most of my bolt guns are lightweights since I'm not much of a bench or precision shooter. But minute of Elk at 4-5 hundred yards is still pretty easily attainable with them.

I'm not a hunter so lugging a gun over a long day is not a major factor to me, but I can see the value for sure. I'd like the GSR as a "tactical" .308 bolt gun/bush gun/camp/survival gun that's uber simple and reliable. Another plus (a sad reality but reality non the less) is that it's not a scary black rifle, so hiking, camping etc with a GSR far less likely to send people running in panic and all that. Everyone knows a wood stock bolt gun is less dangerous than evil scary black rifle. :shout:

Jake'sDad
09-22-15, 13:17
I'm not a hunter so lugging a gun over a long day is not a major factor to me, but I can see the value for sure. I'd like the GSR as a "tactical" .308 bolt gun/bush gun/camp/survival gun that's uber simple and reliable. Another plus (a sad reality but reality non the less) is that it's not a scary black rifle, so hiking, camping etc with a GSR far less likely to send people running in panic and all that. Everyone knows a wood stock bolt gun is less dangerous than evil scary black rifle. :shout:

Copy that. The GSR and my lever guns fill the same role for me, and it was why I bought it for my ex to use as well. Combo hunting and defense rifle. I'd never want to be in a real problem situation with a bolt gun, but outside it beats a shotgun.

WillBrink
09-22-15, 17:04
Copy that. The GSR and my lever guns fill the same role for me, and it was why I bought it for my ex to use as well. Combo hunting and defense rifle. I'd never want to be in a real problem situation with a bolt gun, but outside it beats a shotgun.

Well it's better than throwing rocks and more than a few have brought much woe to their enemy with a trusty bolt gun.

Eurodriver
09-22-15, 17:07
Well it's better than throwing rocks and more than a few have brought much woe to their enemy with a trusty bolt gun.

You ain't neva lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Uprange41
09-22-15, 21:42
I'll try and do that when I get it shooting. Contemplating ways to get some kind of backup irons on it. Nothing really made for it, I'm going to have to get creative.
I wish more companies put irons on their rifles. I'll happily pay a $100 uncharge for them.

Jake'sDad
09-22-15, 23:33

Certainly, which is why I said my GSR and levers are my "PC" defense rifles as well. But having been under fire a few times, they just wouldn't be what I would want to use if I had a choice.

WillBrink
09-23-15, 07:44
Certainly, which is why I said my GSR and levers are my "PC" defense rifles as well. But having been under fire a few times, they just wouldn't be what I would want to use if I had a choice.

Understood. Given the choice, you'd want a belt fed? :ph34r:

Jake'sDad
10-06-15, 23:48
Understood. Given the choice, you'd want a belt fed? :ph34r:

No... I'd call in sick.....

1859sharps
10-07-15, 13:16

If Cooper knew he was going into a fight or possibly going to be in a fight as a regular infantrymen, based on his writings I doubt he we choose a scout rifle either. the scout was not meant to be main infantry battle rifle/carbine.

Cooper did feel for typical self defense scenarios that scout rifle was more an adequate...his opinion for what it is worth.

cqbdriver
05-08-16, 07:19
If you haven't heard yet, Ruger is now selling the Synthetic Stock for the GSR.
http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Gunsite-Scout-Synthetic-Stock/productinfo/90574/

It took a 3/4 lb off the weight of my rifle - compared to the laminate stock. It also moved the weight slightly forward which made the single hand carry point just forward of the magazine. I took the GSR yesterday out to my land while I put out deer camera. That little bit of wgt savings made a huge difference carrying it around all day.

azeriosu85
05-08-16, 12:37

It took a 3/4 lb off the weight of my rifle - compared to the laminate stock. It also moved the weight slightly forward which made the single hand carry point just forward of the magazine. I took the GSR yesterday out to my land while I put out deer camera. That little bit of wgt savings made a huge difference carrying it around all day.

NICE! Good on Ruger. Now If they would only sell the Laminate stock separate that would be perfect!

pinzgauer
05-08-16, 15:58
I've always wondered what made the GSR so much heavier than the other ruger bolt actions... Laminate stock was a chunk, but unless the barrel profile is much heavier I can't see the flash hider and magazine/hardware making up the difference.

ldirel
05-08-16, 16:13
The barrel on the GSR is a sort of stepped/tapered medium contour and where the picatinny rail mounts it's pretty much a bull barrel. I'm pretty sure that adds up fast being steel and all.

The hardware associated with magazine (bottom metal) is all polymer and is really light weight (but strong from what I've seen bouncing around the truck).

pinzgauer
05-08-16, 19:15
I'd have one except for the weight, and to a certain extent, cost. Especially if I have to buy a syn stock for it.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

cqbdriver
05-08-16, 19:40
I'd have one except for the weight, and to a certain extent, cost. Especially if I have to buy a syn stock for it.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Ruger sells GSR's that come the factory with syn stocks. They just didn't have syn stocks when the rifle 1st came out and you couldn't buy a replacement stock until this week.

RiflemanBobcat
05-08-16, 22:18
Ruger sells GSR's that come the factory with syn stocks. They just didn't have syn stocks when the rifle 1st came out and you couldn't buy a replacement stock until this week.
If only they sold the 18" model with a synthetic stock.

Tapatalk yadda yadda

cqbdriver
05-09-16, 04:40
If only they sold the 18" model with a synthetic stock.

Tapatalk yadda yadda

I have a special limited edition 17.2" model ( http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=4727.0 ):

Penned by Mark Gurney from Ruger.

As promised, the story of how the barrel length on the Ruger Gunsite Scout came to be. No drama or intrigue, unfortunately:

"The Scout Rifle will have a barrel length of sixteen and one-half inches. That's the barrel length on the Frontier Rifle, and it balances beautifully - both visually and in the hands."

Roy Melcher glared at me, daring me to disagree.

If you knew Roy, you would understand this statement. Roy was one of Bill Sr.'s last remaining "hands", bringing Bill's ideas to reality when he was too crippled with arthritis to draw on the board. An accomplished gun designer in his own right, Roy's final achievement was the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle; he sadly succumbed to cancer just as the Scout Rifle was starting production.

Roy wrote the book on curmudgeonry. I knew I'd much prefer to agree with him, than argue, because no doubt I'd lose. But Roy was right - the Frontier Rifle was a sweet little gun, and was the baseline from which our Scout Rifle was developed. So 16.5” it was.

A day or so later, I was discussing our new Scout Rifle with my friend Steve Johnson, who at the time was working for Hornady. He suggested we thread the barrel. "A short-barreled, magazine-fed bolt gun is the perfect suppressor host" he opined. I liked the idea, and went to see Roy with Steve's suggestion. I was pleasantly surprised when Roy enthusiastically agreed, and he then offered to see how it would look fitted with a flash suppressor.

We were thrilled with what Roy presented to us. The gun looked great. The Ruger Gunsite Scout was born.

A couple years and many Scout Rifles later, we were considering weight reduction possibilities to accompany our new, lighter weight composite stock. I asked the new engineer, Dave Chrystal, to reduce the barrel length from 16.5” to 16.1” . This would be a very small weight savings, but it would come off the end of the barrel where it would have the greatest impact on handling. He came back quickly with good news: The barrel was actually 17.2” long; we could cut off over an inch, shedding about a tenth of a pound off the end of the barrel. I was happy for our prospects of ”making weight” with the new stock, but it meant that we had been incorrectly stating our barrel length all along – and Scout Rifle fans care about such details.

Looking into it, Dave found that when Roy put threads on the barrel in the CAD model, rather than just add threads at the muzzle, Roy added a whole threaded section of barrel to the existing barrel, bringing its length out to 17.2”. I can’t ask Roy why he did it this way, but I suspect he was so pleased by the results that he kept it as-is, and just never get around to telling anyone that the barrel was a little longer than he initially intended. And I never bothered to check, probably because I fell in love with the gun, too, and didn’t see anything “wrong” with it.

So now all blued alloy Scout Rifles , in both composite and wood stocks, listed as 16.1”, actually have barrel lengths of 16.1”. And they all come with a thread cap in the box which will save another little bit of weight of the end of the barrel. But the muzzle brake that is installed on the composite stock is startlingly effective, so I highly recommend keeping it in place. Stainless steel guns in the composite stock guns are also 16.1”. Stainless guns in laminate are actually 18.7, which are a nice option for those that are looking for a little more velocity potential at a slight penalty in balance.

We can all offer a quiet moment of thanks to Roy. He made a rifle that would have made Bill Senior proud.

WillBrink
05-09-16, 10:20

I guess this comes under what's friendly to carry around vs what's friendly to shoot. I have never considered myself recoil averse per se, but at it's current weight with laminate stock I found the recoil stiff. 10-20rnds to site it in, and I was done. I suppose most wouldn't bother with extended shooting sessions with such a rifle, so maybe a moot point. If I add a .308 bolt gun, that will be it as it fits exactly what I want a bolt gun to do, but fun to shoot it aint, at least for me. Reducing the weight will not help that at all, but I can see the other side of the coin there which is easier to lug around all day which I have not done. I really like the look at the feel of the laminate, but might not feel that way after a day of shlepping it around ;)

ldirel
05-09-16, 10:52
If you were shooting it off a bench that might explain your recoil problem. I find shooting from field positions with light weight rifles much more pleasurable (especially when they're short .45-70 lever guns stoked hot).

The RGSR was never meant to be a bench gun and I find it to be only marginal when fired prone off a bipod. However, when I add a good shooting sling and start working positions it's a joy to shoot. Keep in mind that my plastic stock is back ordered from Ruger but I suspect this will still hold true since the ergonomics are supposed to be close to the same.

WillBrink
05-09-16, 11:06
If you were shooting it off a bench that might explain your recoil problem. I find shooting from field positions with light weight rifles much more pleasurable (especially when they're short .45-70 lever guns stoked hot).

The RGSR was never meant to be a bench gun and I find it to be only marginal when fired prone off a bipod. However, when I add a good shooting sling and start working positions it's a joy to shoot. Keep in mind that my plastic stock is back ordered from Ruger but I suspect this will still hold true since the ergonomics are supposed to be close to the same.

I was indeed, thanx. I was just siting it in for a buddy and wanted to try it. I had not tried it off hand from the bench. I think it's a great little rifle for my recs (though I wish the action as a tad smoother but I hear that also improves with time) and would still purchase one. Physics is physics, and if you want smaller and lighter guns with larger projectiles, you gotta pay the physics piper. I can see myself putting higher rnd counts through an AR, and enough to make sure all is GTG with the little GSR, to balance out my physics problem. ;)

pinzgauer
05-09-16, 12:12
The syn stock shows 6.2 lbs on the Ruger site. That's within 3oz of the standard m77rsi in 308, and similar in weight to the current Hawkeye's if you accounted for a shorter barrel.

So it's in the ballpark, not what I'd call heavy. I guess the laminate stock was skewing perceptions. (.9 lb difference, more than perception I guess)

ldirel
05-09-16, 13:05
I was indeed, thanx. I was just siting it in for a buddy and wanted to try it. I had not tried it off hand from the bench. I think it's a great little rifle for my recs (though I wish the action as a tad smoother but I hear that also improves with time) and would still purchase one. Physics is physics, and if you want smaller and lighter guns with larger projectiles, you gotta pay the physics piper. I can see myself putting higher rnd counts through an AR, and enough to make sure all is GTG with the little GSR, to balance out my physics problem. ;)
I prefer shooting my Ruger from slung prone. It works pretty well that way.

The action on mine smoothed out after a lot of dry fire while watching a movie or two.

ldirel
05-17-16, 15:29
The syn stock shows 6.2 lbs on the Ruger site. That's within 3oz of the standard m77rsi in 308, and similar in weight to the current Hawkeye's if you accounted for a shorter barrel.

So it's in the ballpark, not what I'd call heavy. I guess the laminate stock was skewing perceptions. (.9 lb difference, more than perception I guess)

My RGSR's current weight equals 7 pounds 2.144 ounces scoped, slung, and no rounds in a 3 round magazine. I'm a whole 2.14 ounces away from making the upper end of Cooper's 6.5-7 pound weight limit and it feels pretty good.

The closer one gets to the original specs that Cooper laid out the more the scout rifle makes sense.

Pawnee
05-17-16, 20:33
I just got back from the range this evening sighting in my GSR with its new scope. This little 16" gun is a real shooter.

Willbrink, what kind of ammo were your running through your gun that it recoiled so much? There is a big difference in felt recoil between 150 grain ammo and 180 grain ammo. .

ldirel
05-17-16, 21:12
I just got back from the range this evening sighting in my GSR with its new scope. This little 16" gun is a real shooter.

Willbrink, what kind of ammo were your running through your gun that it recoiled so much? There is a big difference in felt recoil between 150 grain ammo and 180 grain ammo. .
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160517/37ba6465cf4924381033b163fd4f82af.jpg

I did too!

200 yards sitting on a reduced sized silhouette.

Pawnee
05-19-16, 07:25
Idirel, now that is some nice shooting! I have only been using sandbags on the bench. Now that I'm sighted-in, it's time to see what I can do without training wheels too.

These guns are real shooters.

WillBrink
05-19-16, 08:53

Don't recall. Was some surplus he had. No doubt, more mass to move more recoil via Newton's second law.

ldirel
05-19-16, 10:00
Idirel, now that is some nice shooting! I have only been using sandbags on the bench. Now that I'm sighted-in, it's time to see what I can do without training wheels too.

These guns are real shooters.
Gracias! I found that getting the comb height correct made things a lot easier.

w squared
05-19-16, 11:26
Gracias! I found that getting the comb height correct made things a lot easier.

+1 on that. I have just finished getting my RGSR to the point where I think it's "dialed in" with a synthetic stock, a 1" comb height riser, and a muzzle device that doesn't irritate me as much as that birdcage flash hider (who puts a flash hider on a bolt gun?). I am hoping to spend some quality time with the rifle in a week or so.

ldirel
05-19-16, 11:28
What did you do for the comb riser? Mine needed to be about 7/10".

I'll probably move to kydex piece sometime in the future but I was trying to save weight.

w squared
05-19-16, 13:36
What did you do for the comb riser? Mine needed to be about 7/10".

I'll probably move to kydex piece sometime in the future but I was trying to save weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Buttstock-Tactical-Handmade-Professional-Multi-Cam/dp/B00TRAX3XU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

You can tweak the height with a couple velcro strips that attach to the underside (between the top inside of the cuff and the comb of the stock). I will not represent to you that I got an honest 1 inch of comb height out of that setup....I just knew that a thin butt cuff wouldn't get me what I wanted in terms of alignment with the scope. It's entirely possible that the change in comb height is less than 1 inch. Also, the zipper pull irritated me so I replaced it with a loop of 550 cord.

The exterior ammo loop are mounted on velcro, so I may take them off. I figure that I'll have the kinks on this rifle ironed out by the time I finish a rifle 270 course at Gunsite next month.

ldirel
05-20-16, 07:05
http://www.amazon.com/Buttstock-Tactical-Handmade-Professional-Multi-Cam/dp/B00TRAX3XU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

You can tweak the height with a couple velcro strips that attach to the underside (between the top inside of the cuff and the comb of the stock). I will not represent to you that I got an honest 1 inch of comb height out of that setup....I just knew that a thin butt cuff wouldn't get me what I wanted in terms of alignment with the scope. It's entirely possible that the change in comb height is less than 1 inch. Also, the zipper pull irritated me so I replaced it with a loop of 550 cord.

The exterior ammo loop are mounted on velcro, so I may take them off. I figure that I'll have the kinks on this rifle ironed out by the time I finish a rifle 270 course at Gunsite next month.

I used the sling and support arm to pull the rifle into my shoulder and then I used the thumb on my other hand to space my cheek up until it was the right height. I measured that point (it happened to be the first knuckle for me) with a caliper and cut some foam to that height.

Lucky! I'd love to go to Gunsite but they're to rich for my blood. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but there's other training I'd rather spend money on right now. Personally, I'd consider their advanced pistol classes before I'd consider their rifle classes.

w squared
05-20-16, 07:53
I decided on the 270 for two reasons.

First is that Gunsite is a bit of a "bucket list" item for me. Doing Rifle 270 with a scout rifle is a chance to scratch that itch.

Second is that I have the chance to do a Vickers pistol and carbine class this year, so I want to round out the set of skills a little bit.

WillBrink
05-20-16, 11:37
What would be considered a great price for the laminate version of this rifle?

jandbj
05-20-16, 17:30
What would be considered a great price for the laminate version of this rifle?
IIRC, dealer cost for a new laminate one is $755ish.

WillBrink
05-20-16, 18:11
IIRC, dealer cost for a new laminate one is $755ish.

Thanx, so around $800 would be a solid price I'd think.

Gunnar da Wolf
05-22-16, 11:09
I believe $800-$850 is the going price around here.

Pathfinder Ops
09-24-16, 16:57

I concur with this. Except for the stock part. I have the original laminate still, so I cannot comment on that.

I'm also going to be putting a Kaw Valley linear compensator on mine this week. I don't anticipate much difference in anything but sound however.

ldirel
09-24-16, 18:31
A good compensator should cut recoil by a noticeable amount.

It'd be nice to have shooting from a bipod or off the bench. I'm running two layers of electrical shrink wrap on mine.

I got to try a 5 round AI pattern magazine from Magpul recently and it worked really well with the GSR. They fit better than Ruger poly magazines and seem to be made better too.

Pathfinder Ops
09-24-16, 18:57
A good compensator should cut recoil by a noticeable amount.

It'd be nice to have shooting from a bipod or off the bench. I'm running two layers of electrical shrink wrap on mine.

I got to try a 5 round AI pattern magazine from Magpul recently and it worked really well with the GSR. They fit better than Ruger poly magazines and seem to be made better too.

I agree the compensator should reduce the felt recoil.
That said, I can't seem to get solid, consistent reviews. The comments from folks who have put "linear" compensators (regardless of manufacturer) on their Ruger GSR's range from; "yes it helped with recoil," to "not at all."
The only consistent review is that it reduced sonic feedback making it less punishing to the unprotected ears. Not something I would worry about on range since I wear ear pro. But for the hunting application is more my goal.

I haven't tried the mags you mention. But now you have my attention. I'll give them a look.

ldirel
09-25-16, 00:20
That seems like the opposite of what a compensator should do. Normally they make things a lot louder since they direct the blast to the sides and even back towards the shooter.

Big goofy looking breaks like the one sold by JP generally perform best but look stupid, are really loud, and and add weight and length to the gun.

Most report that a comp on a bolt gun accomplishes three things, that is, reducing recoil, allowing a person to watch bullet impact, and making it loud as heck.

If your worried about noise a suppressor would probably serve you better if they're legal where you're at. The "experts" say suppressors generally accomplish the same things as a comp but without all the noise. This is the route I'll be taking in the future and it'll just ride in my pack until I get to my hunting area and start calling.

Pathfinder Ops
09-25-16, 11:52
That seems like the opposite of what a compensator should do. Normally they make things a lot louder since they direct the blast to the sides and even back towards the shooter.
You may be missing the key word "linear." From what I'm reading and if you look at images of the one I'm speaking about (Kaw Valley, another would be Keis) the idea behind them is they project everything forward not to the sides.

Big goofy looking breaks like the one sold by JP generally perform best but look stupid, are really loud, and and add weight and length to the gun.
I agree. Often after market device are friggin ugly, heavy and for zero benefit. The one I've bought is (to me) not necessarily ugly. It weighs about 2oz's more that the factory device, is barely wider than the factory device and is the same length. SO... it shouldn't change much from that perspective.

Most report that a comp on a bolt gun accomplishes three things, that is, reducing recoil, allowing a person to watch bullet impact, and making it loud as heck.
The concept is that with the forward projection of the "LINEAR" compensator recoil may actually increase but most report that there is a reduced sound to the operator. Again, thats what I'm reading and will soon evaluate for myself.

If your worried about noise a suppressor would probably serve you better if they're legal where you're at. The "experts" say suppressors generally accomplish the same things as a comp but without all the noise. This is the route I'll be taking in the future and it'll just ride in my pack until I get to my hunting area and start calling.
Unfortunately I live in NewYorkistan and a suppressor is a no go here.

Again... I am not an expert on the topic of muzzle devices on any level. So I'm sort of working with researched knowledge until next week when the item is delivered, placed and experimented with. I may well be completely off base. I'm always open to advice and or suggestions.

My plan is to run some rounds through it immediately before I replace the existing device to get a fresh for it and then run it again immediately after I put the new one on to see if there is an appreciable difference..
I'll probably video it from a couple angles as well and see if there is any noticeable differences from that perspective.

Not really a very scientific approach or process but its all I got. And heck its shooting and that's never really terrible.

Who knows, it may suck. If it does I'll go back to the original or find another option.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.

ldirel
09-25-16, 21:30
[/B]
[/COLOR]
Again... I am not an expert on the topic of muzzle devices on any level. So I'm sort of working with researched knowledge until next week when the item is delivered, placed and experimented with. I may well be completely off base. I'm always open to advice and or suggestions.

My plan is to run some rounds through it immediately before I replace the existing device to get a fresh for it and then run it again immediately after I put the new one on to see if there is an appreciable difference..
I'll probably video it from a couple angles as well and see if there is any noticeable differences from that perspective.

Not really a very scientific approach or process but its all I got. And heck its shooting and that's never really terrible.

Who knows, it may suck. If it does I'll go back to the original or find another option.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.

You are correct. I missed the linear part.

I'm anxious to see your results.

MSparks909
10-25-16, 18:01
Ordered a 16" SS barrel/composite GSR on Monday. This is my first bolt gun. I got enanored with the scout rifle concept a few months back and with deer season in full swing here in NC I figured what the hell...

Chose the 16" and composite stock for the weight. My goal is to be under 8 pounds with an empty magazine, sling and a low powered variable. I was looking into mounting a 2-7 or similar scope on the forward mounting rail but I've been considering 1-6s as of late. The farthest realistic shot I would take in my area is ~400Y. A 1-6 has plenty of magnification in that regard.

I've been looking at the Leupold VX6 1-6. From my research this is the lightest 1-6 on the market. I was considering pairing it with a lightweight Aero Precision SPR mount flipped around backwards so the scope will be centered over the ejection port.

Probably going with the nylon Wilderness Rhodesian sling as well. Lightweight and effective.

Hoping to have the rifle in hand by the weekend. Going to try to narrow down a scope choice and get that ordered this week as well. Looking forward to owning a lightweight general purpose bolt rifle!

sevin8nin
10-26-16, 13:09
Congrats MSparks909. I got my Ruger GSR on a whim. 16" carbon steel with the laminate stock. I put a conventional VX-3 3-9 on it and took it elk hunting a few years ago. Mostly walked around on 3 or 4 power. Ended up spooking a few elk out of their beds in the rain. Chased one down and ended up getting a clean shot on a spike. Was a great rifle for it.
Ended up changing the configuration around a bit lately. I've tried the true scout style scopes and they never did much for me. Put a Vortex 1-4 on it and I can still hit 12" steel plates offhand at 200yds and that's good enough for me. With some 168gr match ammo it will shoot sub moa all day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/IMG-20160930-WA0005_zps4ypciyqw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/b0b0o7o7/media/IMG-20160930-WA0005_zps4ypciyqw.jpg.html)

1_click_off
11-29-16, 19:58
Been spot reading this thread and saw some brake conversations. I have been extremely pleased with the Dead Air Armament brake for the Sandman suppressor line. It seemed to knock a lot of the recoil out of the rifle. Very pleased with it. I always shoot with muffs and can't say I noticed any increase in sound.

Great product.

asolo
01-02-17, 17:04
Been spot reading this thread and saw some brake conversations. I have been extremely pleased with the Dead Air Armament brake for the Sandman suppressor line. It seemed to knock a lot of the recoil out of the rifle. Very pleased with it. I always shoot with muffs and can't say I noticed any increase in sound.

Great product.

Funny you should mention- I just put my DA brake so I could put my sandman-S and L on my scout. Without the suppressor attached the brake made a surprising difference in recoil. Of course having either sandman on there is preferable and makes for a great hunting rifle. Burris 2-7x scout scope is next to complete the package.

1_click_off
01-02-17, 17:30
Funny you should mention- I just put my DA brake so I could put my sandman-S and L on my scout. Without the suppressor attached the brake made a surprising difference in recoil. Of course having either sandman on there is preferable and makes for a great hunting rifle. Burris 2-7x scout scope is next to complete the package.

You stole my rifle!

That is my same setup.
SS 16"
Walnut stock
Sandman L
Burris 2x7 scout.
Spec-Tech trigger
Andy's leather ching sling.

I would look at the leupold before purchasing the Burris. Burris is ok, the turrets are hard to turn and don't always click. It is clear in the center, but looks very fish eye on the edges.

asolo
01-02-17, 17:52
You stole my rifle!

That is my same setup.
SS 16"
Walnut stock
Sandman L
Burris 2x7 scout.
Andy's leather ching sling.

I would look at the leupold before purchasing the Burris. Burris is ok, the turrets are hard to turn and don't always click. It is clear in the center, but looks very fish eye on the edges.

Lol. The walnut stocks seem to be pretty rare. Thanks for the heads up on the Burris- I'll check out the leup.

sevin8nin
03-18-17, 19:42
http://i.imgur.com/dpNsUCe.jpg

Gunnar da Wolf
03-18-17, 20:23
How do you guys like the Sandman suppressor? I've heard a lot of good things about them.

1_click_off
03-19-17, 07:28
I have nothing to compare it too. With that said, I have not found any issues with it other than the brake is a little long when shooting unsuppressed. However, the brake does a very good job reducing felt recoil.

I have the Sandman L, so it has some weight to it. Seems to be of excellent quality. Between 22lr, 5.56, 308 I have about 1k rounds through mine.

Standard Velocity CCI shoots very clean and it is almost movie quiet. If you roll your own loads, be sure to shoot unsupressed first until to know you are stabilizing the bullet to prevent baffle strikes.

Fudge
02-24-18, 10:12
Had my GSR for awhile. It has become my favorite rifle to shoot by a longshot. I primarily use the Magpul AICS 10 round mags and have had absolutely no issues with them. While I still enjoy my m1a (and sold off my AR-15s and 10s over the last couple of years) I find that the GSR fits my needs and also doesn't burn through my ammo budget as quickly. Good rifle to load for as well.

krm375
07-27-18, 08:56
Bringing this back up, what are your thoughts on these little rifles for East Coast Hunting? what optics seem to be working for the guys that have them? I have been looking at the leatherwood and Burris with BDC.
So, I went with the Leopold Scout scope, and the .308 GSR with Andy's leather Rhodesian sling. I think the leupold is not really a true scout scope as it sits back a little far, more like a safari scope with lots of eye relief for magnums or light action .308s.