PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi-Power 9mm

red_star_republic
12-30-10, 02:54
Anyone have experience with these style pistols? It reminds me of a Sig and a 1911 put together.

I mostly work a Glock or 1911 style pistols so this is a new one for me.

It was bought in 1989 and never fired.

It looks like it was machined well and the fit between the slide and receiver is good.

Timbonez
12-30-10, 03:12
The Hi Power is a classic design that was started by John Browning and finished by Dieudonné Saive after Browning's death. The BHP has been around since 1935, and there are many iterations. It's popular worldwide and has served in many military and police forces. That being said, it is an old design that is now overshadowed by more modern pistols. It is, however, still a good pistol. You can find a plethora of information on the BHP at Stephen A. Camp's website Hi Powers and Handguns (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/). Where are your pics?

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/Timbonezs/2010-12-05_16-08-01_79.jpg

Frens
12-30-10, 03:27
if you're used to 1911 style pistol you'll like the HP ;)
I used to have a newer HP Practical and really loved it...solid, reliable and accurate...sold it just because I already have a glock17 and a 1911 and wanted something different: a Colt SAA replica :p

Business_Casual
12-30-10, 06:13
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66900

There are a lot of existing threads, which usually degenerate into a circle jerk of the BHP fans.

B_C

Aray
12-30-10, 06:38
Utterly reliable, but with no perceptable trigger reset.

I ran one in IDPA matches for 2 years, I retired it because the mag safety was a pain in the butt.

It is the most naturally pointing pistol I have ever held.

Seraph
12-30-10, 07:52
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66900

There are a lot of existing threads, which usually degenerate into a circle jerk of the BHP fans.

B_C

Nice.

Redhat
12-30-10, 08:13
I had one years ago and really enjoyed shooting it. It was very reliable and accurate. The trigger was just about what you would expect of any factory gun these days...functional but not match grade. Everyone I let try it liked it too!

Let us know how yours shoots.

300WM
12-30-10, 17:54
It is the only 9mm I very much want, but still do not own.

xrayoneone
12-30-10, 22:28
I love them and just bought another for IDPA. The magazine safety will be removed from this one as my other HPs are military surplus Inglis and Belgian made Argentine models.

JonInWA
12-31-10, 07:35
I love them and just bought another for IDPA. The magazine safety will be removed from this one as my other HPs are military surplus Inglis and Belgian made Argentine models.

Umm, if you bought it specifically for IDPA, IDPA rules specifically forbid "disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun."

While it can be argued until one is blue in the face that the components targeted for removal are a "disconnector" instead of a "safety" per se (and trust me-many have), the reality is 1) That the FN and Browning parts descriptions for said components label and describe them them to be a safety, and 2) I believe that HQ IDPA has in fact ruled on this concerning Hi-Powers, and the components are considered to be a safety, and must stay in the gun.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you might want to change your plans on this one.

And yeah, probably no one but another Hi-Power user would ever notice if they're removed, but that's not the point.

There are other legal ways to achieve a better trigger pull with a Hi-Power.

Just saying.

Best, Jon

xrayoneone
12-31-10, 10:58
Umm, if you bought it specifically for IDPA, IDPA rules specifically forbid "disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun."

While it can be argued until one is blue in the face that the components targeted for removal are a "disconnector" instead of a "safety" per se (and trust me-many have), the reality is 1) That the FN and Browning parts descriptions for said components label and describe them them to be a safety, and 2) I believe that HQ IDPA has in fact ruled on this concerning Hi-Powers, and the components are considered to be a safety, and must stay in the gun.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you might want to change your plans on this one.

And yeah, probably no one but another Hi-Power user would ever notice if they're removed, but that's not the point.

There are other legal ways to achieve a better trigger pull with a Hi-Power.

Just saying.

Best, Jon

I have read the rule book also. Not rethinking it one bit.

1) Local shoot nobody cares.
2) The magazine disconnect is disabled primarily to allow the magazines to drop free, not to enhance the trigger pull. Enhancing the trigger pull is just an added benefit.
3) Some Hi Powers have been made without the magazine safety, my brothers Belgian made gun from the 70's doesn't have it. Removing the trigger shows that it wasn't even milled to accept it.

Timbonez
12-31-10, 11:06
I have read the rule book also. Not rethinking it one bit.

1) Local shoot nobody cares.
2) The magazine disconnect is disabled primarily to allow the magazines to drop free, not to enhance the trigger pull. Enhancing the trigger pull is just an added benefit.
3) Some Hi Powers have been made without the magazine safety, my brothers Belgian made gun from the 70's doesn't have it. Removing the trigger shows that it wasn't even milled to accept it.

I have never heard of a stock FN made Hi Power being made without the magazine disconnect. Are you sure your brother's Hi Power didn't have the trigger replaced... possibly with a Cylinder & Slide trigger? Those are made with no way of installing the magazine disconnect.

JonInWA
12-31-10, 13:19
The only ones that I'd heard that were manufactured by FN without the magazine safety were some of the late-war guns produced by FN while under Nazi occupation/direction, along with other production shortcuts.

In my opinion (which might well be questionable at best) clubs/individuals that view the IDPA rules as an a la carte menu are placing themselves on a slippery slope. To my way of thinking, if you participate in a sport, you're somewhat obligated to embrace the rules-or attempt to change them, or simply to compete in a different venue-or simply choose a different gun (or a compliant version of the same gun/platform).

I don't disagree that the magazine safety/disconnector components and issue is contentious. I also question the real-world validity of such components. Nevertheless, they are an intentional, inherent part of the Hi-Power design, and learning to work with it is part of embracing the Hi-Power in my opinion.

The .40 Hi-Powers have always come with the "mousetrap" magazine spring to effect speedy magazine ejection with the magazine safety components; if such magazines are available in 9mm, that would be my suggestion; that would keep you in full rules compliance as well as addressing your primary concern.

Best, Jon

Timbonez
12-31-10, 14:13
The .40 Hi-Powers have always come with the "mousetrap" magazine spring to effect speedy magazine ejection with the magazine safety components; if such magazines are available in 9mm, that would be my suggestion; that would keep you in full rules compliance as well as addressing your primary concern.

Best, Jon

The current production 9mm Hi Powers also come with the "moustrap" magazine spring.

JonInWA
12-31-10, 14:38
I just did a bit more research; according to R. Blake Stevens' "The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol" (1990 edition), on pp. 80-81, he details that the Nazi-production Hi-Powers made from 1942-1944 (German production was initiated in 1941, after existing previously manufactured stocks were depleted) deleted the magazine safety as a production expedient, and on p. 151 he stipulates that the immediate post-war FN Hi-Powers (denoted by their "A" prefixed serials) mirrored the German production deleting the magazine safety, but it was quickly reinstated (p. 154).

So a legitimate non-magazine safety Hi-Power would appear to be limited to 1942-1944 Nazi production and "A" prefixed post-war Hi-Powers.

Personally, I'll take a current production MK III (or even a slightly smaller-sighted Mk II) any day of the week, with their improved extractors, sights, safety levers, metallurgy...and deal with the evil magazine safety...

Here's the ruling on this issue from IDPA HQ, as posted on the IDPA website Forum:

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/forum/quotereply/id/49155?page=5

Best, Jon

xrayoneone
12-31-10, 16:50
I have never heard of a stock FN made Hi Power being made without the magazine disconnect. Are you sure your brother's Hi Power didn't have the trigger replaced... possibly with a Cylinder & Slide trigger? Those are made with no way of installing the magazine disconnect.

Some were made without them. It could be a replacement but it is not marked in any form and besides not having the magazine disconnect it is the same as other triggers, so it is hard to tell. It is also my understanding that some of the Hi Power clones that were made did not have the magazine safety.

If I ever seriously compete in a sanctioned IDPA match I have other pistols to use. If their are guys that want to piss and moan about it (which there are) then we will have to go over every pistol and test fire ammunition to see it meets MPF. After being delayed on the range an extra hour because the SO's guns wouldn't cycle from their ammo I doubt we'll be doing that.

Timbonez
12-31-10, 19:59
Jon, those are the same Hi Powers that I have (2 Mk IIs and a Mk III).