PDA

View Full Version : Bore Snakes

red_star_republic
12-30-10, 03:07
I've used Bore Snakes on pistols for years.

I just started using one on my AR15. In the past I used your tradtional rod with a nylon brush, etc.

Has anyone had any issues with the Hoppe's Bore Snakes when cleaning their AR15 barrels?

Thanks

hunter123
12-30-10, 04:12
I use one and I am happy with the results.

PatrolRifleGroup
12-30-10, 06:38
A chamber brush and a bore snake are about the only two things I use any more. I might run a brass brush and some patches through every thousand rounds or so.

ucrt
12-30-10, 06:51

Now this is just me...

I consider using a Bore Snake equivalent to reusing toilet paper.

It is no different than using patches over and over again and we never hear of anyone advocating that??

But maybe it's just me...

The_War_Wagon
12-30-10, 07:12
After a SHORT day at the range - say, sighting in an optic on a cold day - the bore snake is a nice alternative, to the usual mess associated with busting out the Kleenbore #10, brushes, and patches!

Scotty
12-30-10, 07:15
I've been using snakes for years. They always worked good for me.

Iraq Ninja
12-30-10, 07:26

Now this is just me...

I consider using a Bore Snake equivalent to reusing toilet paper.

It is no different than using patches over and over again and we never hear of anyone advocating that??

The snake is my default cleaning kit. It is the only thing that has survived over here. My Otis kit went tits up when I lost parts in the dark. My issued cleaning rods would break or get bent.

The bore snake gets the job done, along with a chamber brush. I don't see a need to treat my M4's bore with anything else. The snake is small and lightweight. It is always with me.

Having a perfectly clean chrome lined bore is overrated IMHO.

You can always WASH the snake, just like you could wash gun patches and use them "over and over again" :)

The only problem I ever saw with one is when someone tied a knot in the snake and it got stuck in the bore. The armorer tied the other end to a stationary object and yanked it out.

kartoffel
12-30-10, 11:04
Yep. WASH the snake. Stuff it inside a sock and throw it in with your laundry.

1_click_off
12-30-10, 11:08
I have 1 for every caliber I own. The only 2 I think were a waste of money were the 12gauge and the .50cal. All the others work great.

kaltesherz
12-30-10, 11:35
LOVE boresnakes, I've used 'em on M4's, SAW's, M14, 240's, even my M2 (BTW .50 boresnakes are a serious PITA to pull through) and never had a problem other than a 5.56 one snapping after serious use. They work insanely fast, take up almost no space, and are durable. I have no idea why they keep issuing $100+ Otis cleaning kits when they should just be issuing a boresnake, chamber brush, barber brush, and some pipe cleaners. Just add Q-tips and your fav lube and you're set.

ETA 12ga boresnake works great on shotguns and 249 gas tubes

kartoffel
12-30-10, 11:43
I have 1 for every caliber I own. The only 2 I think were a waste of money were the 12gauge and the .50cal. All the others work great.

I get some good use out of my 12 gauge boresnake. It won't remove serious lead fouling, though. Got to brush the bore really good the regular way (or with an electric drill), and use the boresnake for a final pass.

chadbag
12-30-10, 11:47
I get some good use out of my 12 gauge boresnake. It won't remove serious lead fouling, though. Got to brush the bore really good the regular way (or with an electric drill), and use the boresnake for a final pass.

Try changing your chemicals you use with it. Put some m-pro 7 bore gel on it and run through once to coat. Let sit. Then use liberal m-pro 7 cleaner. Can't promise it will be better ut it should do ok.

1_click_off
12-30-10, 11:47

The only time I am glad the .50 weighs 29lbs is when I am pulling the snake through it and I think the 12 gauge could use a little more material so it is a snugger fit. But you are right, it is great for a final pass.

MRevolutionIX
12-30-10, 11:50
I own boresnakes but only will use them as a last resort. My main cleaning technique is still with brushes, jags, patches, rods, etc. I learned to clean firearms this way and I guess its just habit.

usmcvet
12-30-10, 12:22
I love my bore snakes. They've worked well for me. Just bought another the other day.

ST911
12-30-10, 12:23
What Iraq Ninja said.

I use boresnakes almost exclusively. I have guns that have never even seen a rod/brush/patch. When the boresnake is dirty, wash it.

I keep rods around to knock stuck cases loose.

Unless you're accountable to the white-glove mafia, there's little merit to rod/brush/patch a working or fun gun.

kcmo83
12-30-10, 12:23
In agreement with most everyone, the boresnake has served me well since mid-2005, whether training or overseas. I was looking into the new 'Boresnake Viper', but then I saw this: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/07/hoppes-boresnake-viper-bites/

My personal opinion is that the original design suits me just fine, however the Viper design may fill a need someone may have.

Blowby
12-30-10, 15:57
I've been using the old style Bore Snake at the range after a day of fun. Still keep the guns on a regular cleaning schedule using the Otis kit but the barrel cleans up with fewer patches and less time.

CC556
12-30-10, 15:58
The rare times my AR bores see cleaning it's with a boresnake. They're great.

chadbag
12-30-10, 16:11
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/07/hoppes-boresnake-viper-bites/

One piece of misinformation in that link: BUSHMASTER is not the parent company of Hoppes (or Butler Creek or any of the old Michaels of Oregon brands). Bushnell Outdoor Products is the parent. BOP is part of BUSHNELL (yes the optics company).

kaiservontexas
12-30-10, 17:00
I take mine with me to the range or country. It is much easier then a bunch of stuff banging around in a bag or pack. Truth is I need to get a .30 bore snake. I lost the plastic tip to my rod last time out in the country while cleaning my Mosin-Nagant M44. Something hits the ground in that grass and sand and it just disappears.

kartoffel
12-30-10, 17:16
Try changing your chemicals you use with it. Put some m-pro 7 bore gel on it and run through once to coat. Let sit. Then use liberal m-pro 7 cleaner. Can't promise it will be better ut it should do ok.

That sounds like it would work. To clean a shotgun barrel that's really badly leaded, I usually run patch that's just dripping wet with Kroil, then let it sit for at least an hour. Then I go at it with a bronze brush and an electric drill* The first patch after busting everything loose can be pretty impressive.

*While this might make owners of $5000 Perrazis faint, it's perfectly safe, especially inside a hard chromed military sg bore.

Blindeye_03
01-01-11, 10:11
Whats the white wrap around that broken boresnake in the link? Mine doesnt have that.... and the tail isnt red either, weird.

Spoon
01-01-11, 15:02
Been using a bore snake and chamber brush only for the past 5 years. I love it, cuts down cleaning times and cleans the bore good enough for me, also doesn't take up any room in my bag. White glove inspectors will be disappointed!

SeriousStudent
01-01-11, 16:15
Another helpful reason is buy a boresnake, is their ease of storage on the weapon.

I've got one tucked away on all my carbines. Either in the stock compartment on a Magpul UBR or ACS, or in the MOE or MIAD grip.

Plus Grant sells those tiny bottles of Machine Gunner's Lube, you can tuck one in with it.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=37003&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dlube%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

BWT
01-01-11, 16:22
What Iraq Ninja said.

I use boresnakes almost exclusively. I have guns that have never even seen a rod/brush/patch. When the boresnake is dirty, wash it.

I keep rods around to knock stuck cases loose.

Unless you're accountable to the white-glove mafia, there's little merit to rod/brush/patch a working or fun gun.

I do this, use a chamber brush, and I usually lubricate my guns pretty well.

I find honestly, if you really really lubricate a gun (yeah, I probably over lubricate), cuts way down on cleaning time, as you can wipe off most of the lubricant (and usually carbon) with a paper towel, run a bore snake, and in some rare instances, you'll need a solvent.

For an AR, I use an Bore Snake, Chamber Brush, Lubricant and Solvent (not really the solvent), run the bore snake through the barrel 2-3 times, and give it a good cleaning on the chamber, and we're good.

Honestly I think I could get away with less if I didn't shoot Wolf Ammo.

i303
01-02-11, 01:04
I thought of the "white glove" cleaning days were over. Specifically how it promotes premature wear of your weapon.

If you don't have a chrome line bore and barrel, rods and brushes are the norm.

If you do have a CL bore and barrel a boresnake is all it needs for normal cleaning. Make every 1-2k or so rounds I'd run the rod just for good measure.

GKoenig
01-02-11, 01:50
Current Bore Snakes sort of suck and are made in China now.

For the same price, the new GrovTec EZ Clean blows the old Bore Snake away. They use nylon coated aircraft cable with swaged on brushes and mops. The pull handle is a turned piece of aluminum. Way cooler, stronger, more durable and made in the USA.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_ez-clean.php

mkmckinley
01-02-11, 01:52
That actually looks pretty badass.

Stickman
01-02-11, 02:45
In agreement with most everyone, the boresnake has served me well since mid-2005, whether training or overseas. I was looking into the new 'Boresnake Viper', but then I saw this: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/07/hoppes-boresnake-viper-bites/

My personal opinion is that the original design suits me just fine, however the Viper design may fill a need someone may have.

Rob Curtis wrote that up, he was rather underwhelmed with that piece of equipment. The company is sending him a new one, hopefully it works a little better.

Bore snakes are great, I use them all the time.

sammage
01-02-11, 03:38
The original works so well, and packs so easy, I see no need to try the new "improved" version. Stick's link further reinforces this notion.

SIGguy229
01-02-11, 06:13
A chamber brush and a bore snake are about the only two things I use any more. I might run a brass brush and some patches through every thousand rounds or so.

Same here...I started using the bore snake for pistols...but when it came for deployment, I switched over to a bore snake for my M4...everyone else was looking for patches or other small parts for their kits, I was done with my bore snake and GP brush...

BWT
01-02-11, 11:18
http://www.slip2000.com/art-swat2.html

As a side note, 31,000 rounds without cleaning the barrel (except for two patches) shot a 5-shot (Oh I know... I know what evil I just spoke, but hey, I don't have access to the barrel or gun, or write the review, obviously, so I'm just passing along what info I *do* have) group at 50 yards still shot 2-inch groups.

I'm thinking cleaning barrels is overrated, honestly. I think it needs to be done, but, nowhere near like most people do.

YMMV.

ST911
01-02-11, 14:12
I do this, use a chamber brush, and I usually lubricate my guns pretty well....

...For an AR, I use an Bore Snake, Chamber Brush, Lubricant and Solvent (not really the solvent), run the bore snake through the barrel 2-3 times, and give it a good cleaning on the chamber, and we're good.

For clarity, I also use a chamber brush in the AR. Short rod and chamber brush for the chamber, boresnake, GI cleaning brush or toothbrush, and Slip2000 or EWL.

With the exception of lube..always generous...the extent to which these are all used in my ARs varies with the purpose of the gun.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-02-11, 14:32
Boresnakes are amazing. Just run it through a few times, throw it in the wash, and youve got a clean bore thats ready for the next engagement.

payj
01-02-11, 15:17
Boresnakes do a great job. It is quick and easy to clean your gun with them. That said, if you happen to want the barrel to be perfectly clean, which is unnecessary, then you should use the brush and rod with clean patches. It will get the gun cleaner, but as stated pretty unnecessary.

GunnutAF
01-02-11, 18:28
Yep every range trip run the snake through 3 time with Hoppe's#9 and its done!:D

chadbag
01-02-11, 19:08
Current Bore Snakes sort of suck and are made in China now.

Yeah, that kind of sucks. When Bushnell bought out Michaels of Oregon and got Hoppes and Butler Creek they seem to have shifted the bore snake production to China. Pained me to see that.

kmrtnsn
01-02-11, 22:57
I tried one once. Maybe I'm a klutz but I got more of the carbon and crap on me after running it a couple of times than on anywhere else; not worth the hassle over a regular cleaning rod in my opinion.

Jake Bauer
01-02-11, 23:43
I thought of the "white glove" cleaning days were over. Specifically how it promotes premature wear of your weapon.

:confused: what?

chadbag
01-02-11, 23:46
:confused: what?

All that scrubbing with brushes, jag/patches, etc and the toothbrush type stuff scrubbing on the gun, is all wear. Some think it could add up (I have no comment yeah or nay). You are using friction, ie, wear, on the gun to get crap out.

FWIW, I basically only use boresnakes anymore with a toothbrush type gun brush to help get crap out of actions etc if really bad, together with M-Pro 7 gun cleaner...

Gombey
01-03-11, 01:26
I just want to add my experience with a bore snake, my battle buddy had one shipped to him during basic. It was a life saver!! It cut the time it took to clean our weapons in half.

usmcvet
01-03-11, 11:35
The one I bought last week is made in Mexico .

Redhat
01-03-11, 11:45
All that scrubbing with brushes, jag/patches, etc and the toothbrush type stuff scrubbing on the gun, is all wear. Some think it could add up (I have no comment yeah or nay). You are using friction, ie, wear, on the gun to get crap out.

FWIW, I basically only use boresnakes anymore with a toothbrush type gun brush to help get crap out of actions etc if really bad, together with M-Pro 7 gun cleaner...

How do you think cleaning "wear" compares to the wear brought on by actually firing the weapon? A bore brush is usually made of material softer than steel.

Having said that, I do have one shooting partner who's into precision rifles and he never cleans with a bore brush, just a patch and jag every 10 rds or so.

MistWolf
01-03-11, 12:05
I was poking around a few barrel makers websites last night and read a few faqs about cleaning. In general, metal cleaning rods, particularly jointed ones, are attributed with accelerated wear when used for cleaning. They recommend using a one piece synthetic rod. Caution is given against using a stainless steel brush, especially if the bore lacks chrome lining. One site also states that carbon fouling is known to be abrasive and contributes to throat erosion.

Shooters who are particular about cleaning will tell you to only use a cleaning jag with a patch, use bore guides, clean only from the chamber end and to use a patch only once. They only use bronze brushes and only use them in one direction, never pulling a brush back through a bore. This is to prevent any damage to the muzzle, bore or chamber.

I like Boresnakes as they are easy to use and as such, I'm far more likely to give my bores a couple of passes more often so that cleaning chores take less time and to keep fouling from building up to the point where a major cleaning is needed. They also reduce the amount of crapola needed in my cleaning kit

Redhat
01-03-11, 12:10
I have a "snake" for every caliber I own. I also keep one in the rifle grip of my AR. I think they are excellent for field cleaning and no small parts to lose like some other kit.

jumpthestack
01-05-11, 01:19
Boresnakes are great, but I think it would be a bad idea to wash them in the laundry and get lead residue all over your clothes. Especially if you have children, who are much more susceptible to lead toxicity.

I just soak mine in a bucket of hot water and soap for a while and swirl it around a little.

1_click_off
01-05-11, 08:38
Boresnakes are great, but I think it would be a bad idea to wash them in the laundry and get lead residue all over your clothes. Especially if you have children, who are much more susceptible to lead toxicity.

I just soak mine in a bucket of hot water and soap for a while and swirl it around a little.

Yep, I agree. I use my ultrasonic cleaner on mine. My ultrasonic cleaner is only used for cases and other items that have had lead contact or will have lead contact. Just be sure to let them dry before packing them up or the brass brush will corrode.