PDA

View Full Version : Hornady = Winchester

red_star_republic
12-30-10, 19:10
Bought 1000 rounds Hornady 55GR FMJ 5.56 ammunition a while ago to shoot and then have a friend reload.

Heard they had good brass.

I pull out a few rounds and notice the brass is stamped Winchester.

Called Hornady up they told me that due to the high demand for their product they started loading Winchester brass but it was just as good.

Thoughts?

1_click_off
12-30-10, 19:15
Cut a fired case lengthwise and mic it, mic the diameter also, if it all matches the hornady size dimensions the only thing left is the metallurgy. And that would be kind of tough to test at the house.

On second thought, you said you where reloading. Get your bullet puller and do the test on unfired brass. Of course fire the primer or soak it in oil.

Belmont31R
12-30-10, 19:15
They also use Lake City brass in their 5.56MM loadings like the TAP T2 and SP 75.

Thoughts? Doesn't really matter.

Molon
12-30-10, 19:42
Bought 1000 rounds Hornady 55GR FMJ .223 Remington ammunition a while ago to shoot and then have a friend reload.

Heard they had good brass.

I pull out a few rounds and notice the brass is stamped Winchester.

Called Hornady up they told me that due to the high demand for their product they started loading Winchester brass but it was just as good.

Thoughts?

Old news. Hornady has been using Winchester brass in various loads since at least 2008.

Hornady 55 grain FMJ/BT

http://www.box.net/shared/static/92agevk7y6.jpg

Pal
12-30-10, 20:17
I wouldn't think on it too much and make something out of nothing. Whether it was Hornady, Winchester, or the LC, I wouldn't hesitate to reload it. It should all be of roughly similar quality, good enough to reload a couple times anyway.

Fried Chicken Blowout
12-30-10, 22:31
What's the worry? I shot a bunch of my own reloads yesterday. The only one I had an issue with was a Lake City that the rim broke off of when it was chambered. You're going to have issues with whatever brand brass you're using in the right/wrong circumstance.

But, if you bought the Hornady and paid extra just because you thought you were getting better brass... That's an issue. I wouldn't want to pay more and end up with run of the mill brass after shooting the initial rounds. That must have been your point...

But who knows, does Winchester actually make their own .223 brass? Does Lake City make it for them and stamp it Winchester? Is it made by PMC? Where is the PMC .223 brass made anyways? So many questions. I had good luck reloading PMC brass, buy the way...

markm
12-31-10, 18:51
I would get fired in one day if I answered the phones at any of these companies. God bless the people that field these stupid inquiries. :rolleyes: