PDA

View Full Version : Upper to Lower play

dan14363
12-30-10, 19:21
One solution that will help "too much play" between the upper and lower is the over sized pivot and take down pins from ArmaLite
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=ENM001&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=ENM001&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

kartoffel
12-30-10, 19:26
A cigarette butt works, too. Or you can just not worry about it.

SomeOtherGuy
12-30-10, 19:44
I like being able to push the pins in and out with just finger pressure.

An accuwedge is another good $3 solution if you must, but I haven't found a need for one.

Scorpion
12-30-10, 20:09
The play doesn't effect function so I don't mess with it.

orionz06
12-30-10, 20:14
A cigarette butt works, too. Or you can just not worry about it.

What happens when the cigarette butt gets in the way of the hammer?

kartoffel
12-30-10, 20:32
What happens when the cigarette butt gets in the way of the hammer?

I guess it's one more reason to quit.

.45fmjoe
12-30-10, 22:13
I guess it's one more reason to quit.

Duh dum chhh! :sarcastic:

The best solution I have found is to not even worry about it.

120mm
12-30-10, 23:06
I think this should get an award for best first post, EVAH!

og556
12-31-10, 01:24
It is nice to be able to disassemble your rifle without tools. These pins seem unnecessary to me but to someone who wants tight upper/lower fit they are better than a plastic wedge.

Meplat
12-31-10, 01:37
One solution that will help "too much play" between the upper and lower is the over sized pivot and take down pins from ArmaLite

Your very first post on this site and you're suggesting gear made by Armalite, directly from Armalite? With a link?
Sounds to me like shady advertising on Armalite's end.

dan14363
12-31-10, 08:10
This is my first post because I am generally a "lurker". I have found that I learn more by reading or listening to others than posting or talking. I am not advertising for ArmaLite. I simply posted an option to help others who may be as dogmatic about excessive receiver play as I am. This is just an option without placing a foreign object inside the receiver. I recently completed a build that the upper and lower receivers had more wobble than what I like. These pins tightened it up.

SomeOtherGuy
12-31-10, 08:46
Your very first post on this site and you're suggesting gear made by Armalite, directly from Armalite? With a link?
Sounds to me like shady advertising on Armalite's end.

FWIW, I would vote Armalite as among the least likely to do shady advertising across the entire industry. They do about the least self-promotion of anyone.

I do wonder if using these pins will, over time, enlarge the receiver holes so you could not use standard pins if you wanted to.

120mm
12-31-10, 10:42
This is my first post because I am generally a "lurker". I have found that I learn more by reading or listening to others than posting or talking. I am not advertising for ArmaLite. I simply posted an option to help others who may be as dogmatic about excessive receiver play as I am. This is just an option without placing a foreign object inside the receiver. I recently completed a build that the upper and lower receivers had more wobble than what I like. These pins tightened it up.

Need to work on the "learn more" bit, I think.

Additional widgets to reduce upper to lower play are a benchrester tweak, not something that belongs on a combat carbine, I think. For one thing, anything that makes it more difficult to split the upper and lower halves is bad ju-ju.

Crow Hunter
12-31-10, 12:28
Need to work on the "learn more" bit, I think.

Additional widgets to reduce upper to lower play are a benchrester tweak, not something that belongs on a combat carbine, I think. For one thing, anything that makes it more difficult to split the upper and lower halves is bad ju-ju.

My Colt 6724 came from the factory with that stupid "Accuwedge". I had to use a punch to tap the pins out of the lower, I thought I was going to have to send it back because the lower was miss machined like a Bushamster I looked at one time. I really don't see the point in it and it does make it VERY annoying to get the upper off.

SMETNA
12-31-10, 14:30
I simply posted an option to help others who may be as dogmatic about excessive receiver play as I am.

I AM! I AM! Haha

Thank you for the info. I may elect to do nothing about the play, but if I do somewhere down the road I've got those links bookmarked.

12-31-10, 16:26
Please read a little more before posting. Play b/w the upper and lower is of no consequence. The Accuwedge, and any other item or fix for play, is money pissed down the drain.

Iraqgunz
12-31-10, 17:47
This is pre-New Year's retard stuff that has been discussed before. Good night.