PDA

View Full Version : Are charging handles universal in all AR15's? between M4 style vs Rifle Length AR15's

Jimston
12-30-10, 21:11
Any difference between charging handles used in M4 style Ar's vs Rifle Length Ar's w/ 20" inch barrel, for example?

BCM has Pre production Gunfighter Charging handles for 24.95$ The reviews are telling me that it's a good deal, which is due to the fact that it is basically the same when compared to a more expensive charging handle.

Quiet-Matt
12-30-10, 21:14
No difference.

Jimston
12-30-10, 21:23
K thank you. A question though if ya don't mind.

The standard charging handle on my Colt 6601c seems to have a fair bit of left to right play, It's not so bad really, but i was wondering if a new charging handle would fix the wiggle of the charging handle.

I see videos of guys racking the charging handle back and it seems very tight and rigid/sturdy. I wish my charging handle was more sturdy on my Colt 6601c.

Unless looser tolerances are better? i don't know.

Would anyone here recommend replacing the stock charging handle for a BCM charging handle?

thanks.

mkmckinley
12-30-10, 21:32
Colt uses good charging handles. The standard USGI charging handle will have some play. This is not a problem. The part just has to pull back on the bolt carrier. I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless you have a need for a different latch. Unless I'm mistakes the 6601 is a match HBAR rifle in which case I would just stick with the stock one.

Jimston
12-31-10, 00:40
Colt uses good charging handles. The standard USGI charging handle will have some play. This is not a problem. The part just has to pull back on the bolt carrier. I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless you have a need for a different latch. Unless I'm mistakes the 6601 is a match HBAR rifle in which case I would just stick with the stock one.

Right, it is a Match Target Hbar 1 in 7 twist "5.56 Nato" stamped on the barrel.

Thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure if the wiggle/play was alright.

fdxpilot
12-31-10, 01:14
The difference in a Gunfighter will be in the external handle and latch portion. They have a different design for the latch and an assortment of sizes to fit all hands, with or without gloves. I normally use a Model 4. As for keeping your Colt original, but the Colt CH away in your gun cabinet or safe if you want to change to a BCM. Change it back if you ever sell it. It's almost certain you will have another AR to put the BCM on by then.

jonathanvictory
12-31-10, 09:17
I use the BCM pre-production on both my AR's. 500 rounds fired with both and no issues.