PDA

View Full Version : Comp M4

KDG
08-19-07, 19:39
Actually in the right section this time.

I received the Aimpoint the other day. Really nice unit....but been working so many hours haven't had time to shoot with it.

The mount is rock solid, but the locking knob is huge! Tighten it until you hear 2 clicks and it is properly torqued.

The web site says it is submercible to 45 m -150 ft
However the user manual says 25m - 75ft

Not that I plan on punching out a sub for tactical deployment anytime soon :p but I e-mailed Aimpoint for clarification...awaiting a response.

Hers's a pic
http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/08/003/7F/97/D7/B4/Y2z00Sb23YroVZL86P1lXQg+AtR+yy8N0300.jpg

Pat_Rogers
08-19-07, 19:44
Congratulations!
Consider loctiteing the mount (that is, all of the components- optic to spacer and spacer to mount).
I have 4 that have seen moderate use. One (the least used) came loose at class last week.
Fortunately, Mark Larue has the working models of his mount ready to go!

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SIGHT

KDG
08-19-07, 19:57
Congratulations!
Consider loctiteing the mount (that is, all of the components- optic to spacer and spacer to mount).
I have 4 that have seen moderate use. One (the least used) came loose at class last week.
Fortunately, Mark Larue has the working models of his mount ready to go!

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SIGHT

Will do and thanks for the advice!

Ken

Heavy Metal
08-19-07, 20:04
I have the exact set-up except I have mine mounted all the way forward.

KDG
08-19-07, 20:12
I have the exact set-up except I have mine mounted all the way forward.

I have to buy a rear fold down sight after I figure out which one to get. Will probably move it forward then. Or make room for one of Larues poor mans 2.5 X specials.

Ken

Robb Jensen
08-19-07, 20:24
I have to buy a rear fold down sight after I figure out which one to get. Will probably move it forward then. Or make room for one of Larues poor mans 2.5 X specials.

Ken

Can't go wrong with a TROY rear sight.

KDG
08-19-07, 21:01
Can't go wrong with a TROY rear sight.

Have seen these and they appear to be a quality unit. Never used one though.

RHR
08-20-07, 11:06
I went with the M4 also.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/18/dsc01880004zm4.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/848/dsc018500012dz6.jpg

edwin907
08-20-07, 15:58
I wish Aimpoint had made the M4 where you could rotate it 90 degrees for left handed use. It's not a real big deal, but it does make a difference.
So I'm sticking with the M3.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/MRPa.jpg

Erick Gelhaus
08-20-07, 18:30
Ed-
Question for you ... looking at the picture in your post and looking at the photo of the Aimpoint M4, I'm thinking the M4 might be set up for lefties already. With the caveat that I'm basing this off the photos not off of having any experience with it.

I'm a lefty and I have my M3 set-up with the control knob on the right hand side. There, I can handle it with my right (support) hand. Looking at the M4, seems like all of the controls are on the right side. Looks like it might prove to be a bit L/H friendly after all.

Erick

edwin907
08-20-07, 20:00
Ed-
I'm a lefty and I have my M3 set-up with the control knob on the right hand side. There, I can handle it with my right (support) hand. Looking at the M4, seems like all of the controls are on the right side. Looks like it might prove to be a bit L/H friendly after all.

Erick

It's a matter of personal preference, but I like to mount my Aimpoints rotated 90 degrees so that the illumination control knob is on the left side as far out of the FOV as possible. It seems I get a better "both" eyes look this way.
It's also not a problem to dial in the desired level of illumination with either hand, once you get used to it.

FJB
08-20-07, 20:18
KDG great error catch. Glad you brought that to our attention. Will get the manuals corrected in future updates. The 25M/75Ft must have been a carry over from the CompM2. The CompM4 is submersible to 45M/150Ft and we have pictures of SpecWar divers even deeper with CompM4s.

When the CompM4 was submitted to compete for the new M68 contract, two versions were provided. Per requests by other optic companies competing for the contract the top two optics would split the contract. The top two optics that won were the two versions of the CompM4. Thus, Aimpoint was awarded the whole contract for 163,000 optics and recently was awarded another solicitation for 93,000 CompM4s.

The two versions are 1) the CompM4 that everyone has seen with the battery box at 1 0'Clock and 2) the other version of the CompM4 had the battery box at the 7 0'Clock position.

S/F

edwin907
08-21-07, 06:53
The two versions are 1) the CompM4 that everyone has seen with the battery box at 1 0'Clock and 2) the other version of the CompM4 had the battery box at the 7 0'Clock position.

S/F

Any possibility of obtaining the 7 0'Clock version?

Many thanks

FJB
08-21-07, 23:12
Not at this time. I'll find out if they ever intend to produce them in the future.

S/F

edwin907
08-22-07, 07:29
Not at this time. I'll find out if they ever intend to produce them in the future.

S/F

Well many thanks for the info.
I'm a huge fan of Aimpoints, have a M3 and a ML2, as well as a 3X, and have been very pleased with the little micro T-1 as well.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/SPRd.jpg

KDG
08-22-07, 19:54
KDG great error catch. Glad you brought that to our attention. Will get the manuals corrected in future updates. The 25M/75Ft must have been a carry over from the CompM2. The CompM4 is submersible to 45M/150Ft and we have pictures of SpecWar divers even deeper with CompM4s.

When the CompM4 was submitted to compete for the new M68 contract, two versions were provided. Per requests by other optic companies competing for the contract the top two optics would split the contract. The top two optics that won were the two versions of the CompM4. Thus, Aimpoint was awarded the whole contract for 163,000 optics and recently was awarded another solicitation for 93,000 CompM4s.

S/F

Thanks for the reply S/F

I got to the range today to sight it in. This is my first experience with a 1X dot scope. 3 clicks left, 3 clicks up and it was dialed in at 25 yards. I was at an indoor range.
While I am not bad with iron sights, and can hit pretty much what I aim at, the use of the dot makes it so much easier to be faster and still accurate.

After I dialed it in using the mag as a monopod, I was able to rapid fire, no support, full clips with a very fast return to bullseye. Not having to line up front and rear sights and just placing the dot on target was great.

I have used magnified scopes, and find it difficult to acquire and hold on target steady without using some kind of support. Don't get me wrong, magnified scopes are great, but for me and in the use I want this rifle for, the Aimpoint is exactly what I was hoping for.

Shot 200 rounds, but didn't try at all to keep both eyes open, didn't even think of it till I got home......will practice that next time.

Ken

FJB
08-23-07, 02:07
Ken,
I may be preaching to the choir, but just in case one quick way to zero and always be able to quickly confirm your zero is by co-witnessing your red dot with your iron sights. First, zero your iron sights. Then mount your Aimpoint. Then while looking through your iron sights adjust the red dot so that it sits on top of your front sight. Now just use your red dot. You'll want to fire few rounds to confirm the zero and adjust/tweak as necessary.

To train to fight (shoot) with both eyes open use the occulded sighting technique. Close the front (objective) lens cover or cover the front lens with some 90 MPH tape. Then find the red dot with your strong eye. Keeping your strong eye open and looking at the red dot open your support eye. Your strong eye sees the dot, your support eye sees the threat/target your brain puts them together.

Some find it easier than others. My suggestion is to warm up at 15 yards and if doing well, move back to 25, 50, 100 yards as desired. I have actually demonstrated occulded sighting hitting steel targets are over 200 yards.

S/F

UPSguy
08-23-07, 03:14
Any word on when the cantiliver extension is going to be available for the M4?

FJB
08-24-07, 06:32
No set production date for the cantilever spacer yet. Hope to have word on this after Labor Day. I am pushing for it. I currently have a Pre-Production version (not prototype as this is ready for prime time). Once things have settled for me personally I'll get photos to post. I'll keep everyone posted and hope to have news soon.

S/F

mpardun
08-25-07, 07:45
Actually in the right section this time.

I received the Aimpoint the other day. Really nice unit....but been working so many hours haven't had time to shoot with it.

The mount is rock solid, but the locking knob is huge! Tighten it until you hear 2 clicks and it is properly torqued.

The web site says it is submercible to 45 m -150 ft
However the user manual says 25m - 75ft

Not that I plan on punching out a sub for tactical deployment anytime soon :p but I e-mailed Aimpoint for clarification...awaiting a response.

Hers's a pic
http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/08/003/7F/97/D7/B4/Y2z00Sb23YroVZL86P1lXQg+AtR+yy8N0300.jpg

Is that an HK SA80 Mag on your rifle? The reason I ask is that I have several I was hoping to put MagPul ranger plates on and couldn't figure out how to remove the factory floor plate.

KDG
08-25-07, 17:08
Is that an HK SA80 Mag on your rifle? The reason I ask is that I have several I was hoping to put MagPul ranger plates on and couldn't figure out how to remove the factory floor plate.

That is a D&H mag.

FJB
08-31-07, 01:38
Attached are photos of the pre-production Aimpoint CompM4 Cantilever spacer. This allows you to mount the CompM4, 3X Magnifier w/Twist Mount, and a BUIS (in this case a Troy Ind Flip Up). The CompM4 is sitting on a Noveske N4 with Tango Down BattleGrip, VLTOR EMOD Stock, Surefire M900A VFG.

The CompM4 is sporting the new Aimpoint Flip Covers. The are alot more robust and open with more authority. The new Flip Cover for the objective lens (front) is some what of a challenge to put it on. However, having done a few now I found a little trick to it, but unfortunately it is little to hard to articulate.

Also, this particular CompM4 is my personal range demo model that has been thrown across gravel, asphalt, and concrete ranges. I demo this optic by shooting a group at a target from 50 yards to 200 yards. Take it off throw it across the range, reinstall it and then shoot same POI as before.

S/F

UPSguy
08-31-07, 11:43
Thanks for the pics.

Mike T
09-02-07, 21:31
The photos that FJB posted show the M4 in a LaRue cantilever mount. However LaRue makes no mentions of this mount on their website and there are no photos of it. It appears the cantilever is not yet ready for prime time which stinks I want one.

mpardun
09-02-07, 23:52
The photos that FJB posted show the M4 in a LaRue cantilever mount. However LaRue makes no mentions of this mount on their website and there are no photos of it. It appears the cantilever is not yet ready for prime time which stinks I want one.

I don't think he said it was a LaRue...looks to me like a standard Aimpont Screw down model with a cantilever arm.

FJB
09-03-07, 00:50
Mike T,
The cantilever spacer that I show in the pictures is an Aimpoint proprietary preproduction spacer. It replaces the spacer that is currently in the CompM4. It is not one of Mark LaRue's fine products. Mark makes his own outstanding mounts for the CompM4.

The Aimpoint Cantilever spacers are now in production, but I don't have a delivery date yet for dealers. Will advise soonest.

S/F

Mike T
09-03-07, 09:15
Thanks FJB, I don't know why I thought that was a LaRue... I'm just hoping one of you guys gets gets to market with the cantilever spacer soon.

FWIW you guys have designed a winner with the M4. I was at a local gunshop looking at the M4 and 3x magnifier, within a few minutes there were 6 guys around me who all had to check it out. I don't know if any were sold but they sure responded well. Looking at them both together really through a wrench in my plan to get a 1x-4x scope. Now I can't decide...

Heavy Metal
09-03-07, 10:17
I love my comp M4. It and my 6920 were pinging the crap out of a steel deer set up at 500 yards.

The dot is remarkably sharp and well defined.

Mike T
09-03-07, 10:19
Steel deer huh?

Aren't they a little hard to clean?

Heavy Metal
09-03-07, 10:49
Naah! Just put a fresh coat of paint on them.

Loner
09-05-07, 00:39
Can you now buy the CompM4 without the mount? Just the optic?

Lumpy196
09-05-07, 08:49
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/848/dsc018500012dz6.jpg

Good Lord thats a sexy gun.

Well done.

Mike T
09-05-07, 09:05
Loner- I've not seen the M4 w/out a mount, but LaRue is selling the M4 with their own mount so if you wanted a LaRue your problem is solved.