PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon TR24 or super deal on Aimpoint R-1

notofnow
12-31-10, 09:45
So what do you guys think? For those of you that already has a TR24, would you trade it in for the R1 and $200-300 cash back? For this particular thread lets say you are only allowed 1 AR for all your purposes.

SeriousStudent
12-31-10, 10:34
I have a TR-24G and a couple of H-1's. Honestly, they are different optics that I use for different purposes.

It's sort of like golf. You will have a bit of a challenge, wandering out onto the course with a single club. It's why we have drivers and pitching wedges.

The H-1 is used as a shorter range optic, and for indoors-oriented carbines.

The TR-24G is obviously a lot bigger and heavier. I have it mounted on a Colt 6920 with a DD RIS rail. So honestly, it's a comparatively heavy beast.

The 1-4x versatility is quite nice, and improved with the use of a cat tail.

What do you see yourself using the TR-24 for? What purpose does it serve? If you are shooting over 250 yards or so, it's magnification is of greater worth. But for shorter range shooting, I'd honestly prefer the R-1/H-1.

trukreltrog
12-31-10, 10:50
Well if you didn't order that other R1 already, it's too late. Looks like they are now sold out,,,

Gutshot John
12-31-10, 11:18
My sense is that you'll probably get more use out of and be happier with the aimpoint.

notofnow
12-31-10, 11:32
Wow, those R1s sold out amazingly fast. Now i wish i went ahead and bought the 2nd one. Oh well.

cop1211
12-31-10, 16:44
I've had the T1 sold them all off, love the TR24 triangle.

Kissel
12-31-10, 20:31
I think the TR24 is a really useful optic and peferable to the T1. It is really light for a magnified optic but, with a LaRue or ADM mount, it is heavier than a T1. The 1X magnification isn't really 1X--its just a little bit beyond that. No big deal though. I would use it on any rifle that isn't intended for use solely inside 50 yards, and that isn't any of them.

JohnnyC
12-31-10, 20:44
Like SeriousStudent said, different optic for different purposes. Although to be perfectly honest, if the Accupoint came with a horseshoe reticle or something like Leupold's CMR2 reticle I'm not sure I'd use my T-1 for anything other than the gun I throw my PVS-14 on top of.

CC556
12-31-10, 21:26
I'd love to use my TR24 on my training rifle, but the fact that the TR24 and SPR-E mount are 5x the weight of my T1 and DD mount keeps me from doing it. :sad:

m4fun
12-31-10, 21:45
I'd love to use my TR24 on my training rifle, but the fact that the TR24 and SPR-E mount are 5x the weight of my T1 and DD mount keeps me from doing it.

I dont know about you, but in the "train harder" approach more weight can be a benefit.

That said, both scopes are geared to two different application with the TR24 giving more options. I like my T1 on a 10.5" - simple, ideal for quick and close.

For the TR24 - make sure have the right mount to be high and you want to mount it as forward as you can - great eye relief.

If you have an astigmatism red LEDs will start having a star effect, etc and makes long precision shots harder - My TR24G is "green" and a triangle - no issues. Sometime tough firing from a shaded area into a bright area - could use an external powered light source to get uber bright.