PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Data on Colt's use of materials, quality control etc

Jimston
12-31-10, 12:42
I'm looking for hard data on Colt's Rifles/carbines. I've been able to find info on other brands/companies quality control, materials used, and whether or not parts are shot peened, MPI tested, pressure tested etc etc.

But i can't find anything on Colt. I'd like to know as far as how long they have been making their own barrels, and if they contract any parts to other firms, and if so what parts are they.

I realize that there is the M4 chart, but i am really looking to find the difference between the materials that Colt uses versus other manufacturers.

I'm trying to find some real hard data.

For example, if i could find a spec sheet for Colt MT6601 or Match target Bolt carriers, 20" inch barrel specs, lower and upper receiver materials, type of paint or anodizing used etc etc.

I know i may be asking for alot, but i'm just trying to further my knowledge and learn more about the rifle i own and intend to own more of in the future.

RAM Engineer
12-31-10, 15:26
They are made to the military spec as far as materials and QC go. All Colt rifles and carbines are made by Colt Defense (or whatever they are called these days) whether they are sold to the Military, LE or to civilians via Colt manufacturing.

You can look on the side of the upper receiver and see who forged that for them (using Colt supplied dies). What difference does it make WHO makes small parts and pins for them as long as you know it meets Colt's (and by extension, the US military's) standards?

Rhutch
12-31-10, 17:02
It's probably safe to assume that exact materials, manufacturing practices, sub-suppliers are proprietary, at least to the general public.

CLHC
12-31-10, 17:15

Iraqgunz
12-31-10, 17:40
You probably will not find the answers you seek. Unless someone has something of value to post here, please don't.

.45fmjoe
12-31-10, 21:49
You probably will not find the answers you seek. Unless someone has something of value to post here, please don't.

The only answer is you really won't find that, it's proprietary data and not for public consumption.

Iraqgunz
01-01-11, 12:05
Yeah, pretty much.

The only answer is you really won't find that, it's proprietary data and not for public consumption.