PDA

View Full Version : HK G-3 super slo-mo

wild_wild_wes
01-01-11, 09:34
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9702/cimg2184.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7vEs4yJfg&feature=player_embedded

Greek reservist firing his G3A4.....look at that thing shake and flex!

BTW these guys get to take their issue weapons home....

TOrrock
01-01-11, 11:45
One of the guys that made it to our annual machine gun shoot yesterday had his H&K G3K built by TSC.

50 round drum mag dump....surprisingly controllable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgork8mdGGM

I also shot his buddy's Vollmer/HK 51, which was a "blast".

Honestly, a lot more controllable than I remembered.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/New%20Years%20Eve%2012-31-10/P1050087.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/New%20Years%20Eve%2012-31-10/P1050088.jpg

Coleslaw
01-01-11, 19:55
What you see there is exactly why the HK21 beats you and itself to death. That action is just not conducive to belt feed, just hard on the receiver.

The '51', '51B, and 'G3K' were Bill Flemming incarnations. HK never had a factory model of them. The G3K was scary to me. I have seen one come apart. Too violent for the scalloped action and cut away/lightweight modified internal parts he put them together with so they would run. A novelty but nothing more.

IIRC, Fred never built any 51's from scratch, only reworked existing Flemming pieces. I know Terry didn't like to work on them when he worked for Fred, and chose not to when he went out on his own. The last I spoke to him, he still won't do anything that is not represented by HK as an original model.

I don't recall anyone that would work on the G3K's, primarily because of liability exposure. There may be one of the newer guys doing it though.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
01-01-11, 20:09
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9702/cimg2184.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7vEs4yJfg&feature=player_embedded

They don't exactly like people owning guns there. They tend to be stationed near their home islands and must remain in the barracks so technically I guess you could call it taking it home. But they typically ride around on motorcycles with rifles slung and no mag. And I'm pretty sure they use the HK33E in 5.56 cal. I think they used to field the G3 but have switched over a long time back. Last I saw them they also didn't have rails, bipods and eotechs mounted on them. I don't think they know what optics are yet.

wild_wild_wes
01-01-11, 21:02
They don't exactly like people owning guns there. They tend to be stationed near their home islands and must remain in the barracks so technically I guess you could call it taking it home.

The Greek army guy said that reservists in border areas are allowed to take their service rifles home, so it might be a special-case policy. Borders in southern Europe can be quite wild- smugglers and outlaw bandits even. Not to mention the Turks.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
01-01-11, 21:59
The Greek army guy said that reservists in border areas are allowed to take their service rifles home, so it might be a special-case policy. Borders in southern Europe can be quite wild- smugglers and outlaw bandits even. Not to mention the Turks.

That is probably the case with border areas and it certainly is the case on the smaller islands as I've seen many of them riding around going for coffee with hk's slung. Greece has had serious problems with smuggling for a while and probably had a huge upswing after Bosnia. I personally met an Albanian who swore he had stacks of AK-47's back home so I don't doubt many are making it into the country. The drug runners are definitely bringing stuff in, including handguns which are totally outlawed. Some hunting rifles are allowed in areas where large game animals live but even owning a shotgun for bird hunting is a difficult and painful affair at times. Somehow Crete has remained autonomous in this respect since their resistance against the german paratrooper drops in WW2 and they seem to either get away with owning full auto weapons illicitly or it's somehow legal there. But then again many of them smuggle drugs and shoot at police helicopters during raids! Turkish smuggling would be more of an issue now as opposed to an invasion, which I think would be unlikely given their desire to be in the EU. On a side note, I do believe the Greeks bought the license to produce their G3's in house as well but I believe their state owned manufacturing fell on hard times years ago. I'm not sure if they're producing any of their own rifles now or buying direct from H+K. If I ever manage to find a reasonably price Greek manufactured H+K,, I will attempt to snatch it up but I've digressed enough from the whole point of the thread.

JPB
01-02-11, 13:23

Actually that isn't much flexing at all. I would have thought it would move around much more. There's an episode of Tactical Arms where there's a head on slow motion shot of LAV shooting his DD carbine. That barrel moves around quite a bit inside that free float handguard. AK barrel flex is even more pronounced when the film is slowed down. For a full sized 7.62x51 battle rifle with a relatively light weight barrel, I would have expected more whip out of the G3.

FMJ556
01-02-11, 13:28
Anyone know what railed forearm is on the G3 ?

JPB
01-02-11, 13:47

I was wondering the same thing. Not sure what the collar around the trunion is either. Am I incorrect in assuming that the optics rail is an MFI?

JoshNC
01-02-11, 14:22

I believe it is made by Command Arms.....Israeli.

variablebinary
01-02-11, 18:04
Flex doesnt look that bad.

An AK flexes so bad, you'd swear it was made out of rubber.

Vitor
01-02-11, 21:44
Flex doesnt look that bad.

An AK flexes so bad, you'd swear it was made out of rubber.

Well, given that the G3 doesn't even have a gas port, I don't see how the barrel could flex much, but Im probably missing something.

99HMC4
01-02-11, 22:28
Well, given that the G3 doesn't even have a gas port, I don't see how the barrel could flex much, but Im probably missing something.

A port has nothing to do with barrel flex.....

FMJ556
01-03-11, 10:58
Isn't the additional reinforcing on the MSG90 & the PSG1 receiver to improve the accuracy by decreasing the flexing of the receiver ?

Lumpy196
01-03-11, 11:52
That flex is nothing compared to an AK, even a milled one.

Coleslaw
01-03-11, 12:24
Isn't the additional reinforcing on the MSG90 & the PSG1 receiver to improve the accuracy by decreasing the flexing of the receiver ?

Yes they are.

That flex is nothing compared to an AK, even a milled one.

In an AK, you get little if any receiver flex, especially in milled receivers which don't move. AK barrel and gas system, yes. As you can see in the video, the whole G3 rifle moves a bit almost in a wave from front to back. Nature of the beast.

Thomas M-4
01-03-11, 13:30
G-3 has a free floated barrel and no gas system cycling on top of the barrel adding adding its on vibration.
The AKM flexes plenty there is a video floating around somewhere showing the the receiver buckling slightly just behind the trunnion
one look at an RPK shows a beefier trunnion and they also used thicker sheet metal for the receiver to keep it from wearing out.

AegeanHawk
01-04-11, 10:17
Thanks for posting the above video and photo. :)

I would like to clarify some things.

Every man in Greece who served in Armed Forces is a reservist after the armed service.

Some men (not everybody) who are living in borders after 42th year of birth can be transferred in a National Guard Battalion. They are National Guard reservists and they are getting an assault rifle G3A3/G3A4 or an HK11 with a good amount of ammunition and magazines. Rifles, ammo and mags are well secured in our homes, but they belong to the army. We are giving them back after the completion of 60th year of birth. Very often officers check the guns and ammo in our homes.

Nobody is riding in Greece with a rifle on a motorcycle.

We have regulations on how and when we carry the assault rifles. Only from home to training area and opposite and no ammo in transportation. We are getting ammo in target area.

The front rail is a CAA rail and the rail where the Eotech seat is a MFI

And NO....we are not using HK33E buddy

And YES...we know what optics are and how to use them.

Feel free to ask anything and i will be glad to answer if i know..

Here is another video with G3A4. You can see the bullets traveling to target on right up side. I think, compressed air and humidity made them visible. The filming is at 600 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATg8R3PyLmo

BTW... Templar your "short G3" is beautiful. :cool:

Coleslaw
01-04-11, 11:35
G-3 has a free floated barrel and no gas system cycling on top of the barrel adding adding its on vibration.
The AKM flexes plenty there is a video floating around somewhere showing the the receiver buckling slightly just behind the trunnion
one look at an RPK shows a beefier trunnion and they also used thicker sheet metal for the receiver to keep it from wearing out.

I would like to see that video.

Thomas M-4
01-04-11, 14:10
I would like to see that video.

Coleslaw MY apology I tried looking for it yesterday and today.
It was a couple of yrs ago I think it was in meta-cafe :confused: I looked but I cant find it. I originally stumbled across it looking for something else. It was a BW video looked to have been semi professionally done . It wasn't Hugh but from the lighting you could see it flex slightly inward.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
01-05-11, 12:14
Thanks for posting the above video and photo. :)

I would like to clarify some things.

Every man in Greece who served in Armed Forces is a reservist after the armed service.

Some men (not everybody) who are living in borders after 42th year of birth can be transferred in a National Guard Battalion. They are National Guard reservists and they are getting an assault rifle G3A3/G3A4 or an HK11 with a good amount of ammunition and magazines. Rifles, ammo and mags are well secured in our homes, but they belong to the army. We are giving them back after the completion of 60th year of birth. Very often officers check the guns and ammo in our homes.

Nobody is riding in Greece with a rifle on a motorcycle.

We have regulations on how and when we carry the assault rifles. Only from home to training area and opposite and no ammo in transportation. We are getting ammo in target area.

The front rail is a CAA rail and the rail where the Eotech seat is a MFI

And NO....we are not using HK33E buddy

And YES...we know what optics are and how to use them.

Feel free to ask anything and i will be glad to answer if i know..

Here is another video with G3A4. You can see the bullets traveling to target on right up side. I think, compressed air and humidity made them visible. The filming is at 600 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATg8R3PyLmo

BTW... Templar your "short G3" is beautiful. :cool:

I'm no expert on the weapons being used of course. Born there but I don't live there. Beautiful country but their politics and policies have destroyed any semblance of western freedoms. No wonder my relatives freak out when they see pictures of the items I personally own here. However, I do visit often and I've PERSONALLY seen relatives completing their mandatory service riding motorcycles with HK rifles slung on their backs. No mags in the wells of course and they weren't doing anything silly. They were in uniform of course. Never saw any optics or rails capable of accepting optics but I obviously didn't see the full scope of military units. I have family currently serving as lifers and some just performing their mandatory service of course. I've seen some colts while there but that was port security in the mainland. I've only ever seen HK's in service member hands but couldn't tell the model without a close inspection. Some photos I happened to see showed HK rifles in service member hands but the mag apperared to be a different profile from the G3 mag but I was probably mistaken as I assumed NATO countries used a 7.62 platform as a support or DMR type weapon, much like the United States does, rather than the primary arm. I stand corrected on that and I find it pretty cool that they still use a 7.62 battle rifle when everyone else seems to be gravitating back towards the larger caliber for longer range and better stopping power. Even more reason for me to find an original Greek copy!

khc3
01-05-11, 13:00
What you see there is exactly why the HK21 beats you and itself to death. That action is just not conducive to belt feed, just hard on the receiver.

The '51', '51B, and 'G3K' were Bill Flemming incarnations. HK never had a factory model of them. The G3K was scary to me. I have seen one come apart. Too violent for the scalloped action and cut away/lightweight modified internal parts he put them together with so they would run. A novelty but nothing more.

IIRC, Fred never built any 51's from scratch, only reworked existing Flemming pieces. I know Terry didn't like to work on them when he worked for Fred, and chose not to when he went out on his own. The last I spoke to him, he still won't do anything that is not represented by HK as an original model.

I don't recall anyone that would work on the G3K's, primarily because of liability exposure. There may be one of the newer guys doing it though.

I believe you are thinking of the -51K, not G3K.

G3K is a factory gun.

AegeanHawk
01-08-11, 12:06
I'm no expert on the weapons being used of course. Born there but I don't live there. Beautiful country but their politics and policies have destroyed any semblance of western freedoms. No wonder my relatives freak out when they see pictures of the items I personally own here. However, I do visit often and I've PERSONALLY seen relatives completing their mandatory service riding motorcycles with HK rifles slung on their backs. No mags in the wells of course and they weren't doing anything silly. They were in uniform of course. Never saw any optics or rails capable of accepting optics but I obviously didn't see the full scope of military units. I have family currently serving as lifers and some just performing their mandatory service of course. I've seen some colts while there but that was port security in the mainland. I've only ever seen HK's in service member hands but couldn't tell the model without a close inspection. Some photos I happened to see showed HK rifles in service member hands but the mag apperared to be a different profile from the G3 mag but I was probably mistaken as I assumed NATO countries used a 7.62 platform as a support or DMR type weapon, much like the United States does, rather than the primary arm. I stand corrected on that and I find it pretty cool that they still use a 7.62 battle rifle when everyone else seems to be gravitating back towards the larger caliber for longer range and better stopping power. Even more reason for me to find an original Greek copy!

I will not discuss policies and politics here.....

I believe you have seen hunters with shotguns on motorcycles. That is possible. Army HK G3 on motorcycles is impossible.

So, you have been born in Greece.... That's why your nickname is oreaopla (niceguns).....cool :)

Two videos shooting with G3A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NN7zmQJtSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DmLB7FBI-4

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
01-08-11, 15:22
I will not discuss policies and politics here.....

I believe you have seen hunters with shotguns on motorcycles. That is possible. Army HK G3 on motorcycles is impossible.

So, you have been born in Greece.... That's why your nickname is oreaopla (niceguns).....cool :)

Two videos shooting with G3A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NN7zmQJtSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DmLB7FBI-4
I live in the U.S. and I see plenty of firearms in civilian hands and plenty more around fellow Law Enforcement and have seen my fair share of rifles and shotguns. I have seen plenty of both in Greece in LE and military hands and I'm 100% positive it was an HK rifle. Obviously, I was wrong about the caliber but I am a fan of military rifle designs from all over the world and definitely German designs and it was a weird thing to see on a young man riding a motorcycle, even if he was in uniform. And he was a relative after all. The barracks was not far away and I was told by other relatives that the residents do drill on a regular basis and that's probably why they had rifles with them. I would suggest that firearms ownership should be more widespread but I saw nothing wrong with them riding around with them. Always be prepared after all. It was just an odd thing to see on a Mediterranean island and in a non-LE or military base setting.
But it was definitely a HK.

Coleslaw
01-09-11, 09:50
I believe you are thinking of the -51K, not G3K.

G3K is a factory gun.

You are correct. 51, 51B, and 51K, all Bill Flemming creations.

AegeanHawk
02-22-11, 03:43
HK G3A4 in slow motion filmed from left side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noTC6LkvRcU

HK G3A3 in slow motion filmed from different angles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPhIo8Yq0E

AegeanHawk
03-24-11, 07:11
Changing mags in slow motion with HK G3A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBIzbxxjb4

Changing mag and jam in slow motion HK G3A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alr0BQ612gs

Silvanus
03-24-11, 09:53
What is the advantage of pulling the bolt open before swapping the magazines? Only difference I noticed (and that was not a G3, but an MP5) is that the magazine is easier to seat, but it was not any faster (perhaps even slower).

I´m not criticising this technique, I´m genuinely curious because I never received any training with H&K weapons where this was discussed and I just decided to use one method over the other out of personal preference, not because I think it´s superior.

markm
03-24-11, 10:01
In an AK, you get little if any receiver flex, especially in milled receivers which don't move. AK barrel and gas system, yes. As you can see in the video, the whole G3 rifle moves a bit almost in a wave from front to back. Nature of the beast.

Yeah. An AK looks like a wet noodle in slow motion.

AegeanHawk
03-24-11, 11:11
What is the advantage of pulling the bolt open before swapping the magazines? Only difference I noticed (and that was not a G3, but an MP5) is that the magazine is easier to seat, but it was not any faster (perhaps even slower).

I´m not criticising this technique, I´m genuinely curious because I never received any training with H&K weapons where this was discussed and I just decided to use one method over the other out of personal preference, not because I think it´s superior.

I aggree that is a matter of preference.....

It could be an interesting competition with the two different techniques..:)