PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 owners...

newyork
01-01-11, 10:59
I am going to buy an M&P 45 from Grant in the next month or 2 and am torn between the full and mid size. Any advantages or disadvantages of one model over the other? I'll be getting all the upgrades he offers as well as extra mags. The gun will be carried occasionally, will share duty as HD with my HK45 and be a fun gun for the range as well. I'm not leaning toward either model at this point. Need a tie breaker
Thanks in advance

RogerinTPA
01-01-11, 11:27
I have the full size M&P45. It's a great weapon, which caused me to convert to the M&P line exclusively. It is by far, the most comfortable shooting .45 I've ever fired. I also purchased it when the Mid size was not available. If it were, I would have gone with it. Except for the shorter barrel/slide, they are identical in every way (Same mag cap, same grip). I have installed the Apex Hard Sear on all of my M&Ps except for the .45, which I felt had a pretty good trigger to begin with. The only thing you have to decide on the Middy, is whether you want an external ambi safety. I went with it because I wanted it to be set up like the 1911s I shot in the past. If I were a LEO, I'd get it with the ambi safety.

loupav
01-01-11, 11:29
Oh gimme a break! That M&P might sound tempting from watching magpul DVDs all day long, but you know damn well deep down inside you want, you NEED an HK45C.

You'll thank me later. ;)

newyork
01-01-11, 12:36
You're right, I love my HK45 and would love to try the 45c. I really want to try out the MP45 really badly.
Any other advice guys?

willowofwisp
01-01-11, 13:18
I actually just went through this dilemma and purchased a mid-size m&p 45, after reading Hilton Yam's post on the m&p 45 family and talking to a few other people who run them. I also got a killer deal on my mid-size.

I say to handle and shoot both, and then decide, I shot both over the summer and I really couldn't tell a difference between the two.

GermanSynergy
01-01-11, 13:35
I bought the mid sized .45 from Grant and love it. Quite possibly the most comfortable .45 I've ever fired, and I own an HK 45.

RogerinTPA
01-01-11, 13:39
You're right, I love my HK45 and would love to try the 45c. I really want to try out the MP45 really badly.
Any other advice guys?

Just to be clear, you now want to try the Compact? Just be careful as to what you order, there is a difference in the 45c (compact, 8 round, shortened grip), than the Midsize, and the Fullsize, which have a 10 round mag cap and same grip.

newyork
01-01-11, 13:53
No Roger. I was responding to Loupav saying I really want the HK45c. I am not considering the MP45c, just the mid and full

Urabus23
01-01-11, 13:53
I have the full size 45 but would've bought the mid size it were available at the time. They really isn't any difference between them...maybe the mid size looks a little better aesthetically.

RogerinTPA
01-01-11, 13:58
No Roger. I was responding to Loupav saying I really want the HK45c. I am not considering the MP45c, just the mid and full

I'm tracking now.

DocGKR
01-01-11, 14:05
There is very little difference between the M&P45 FS and MS--I am hard pressed to tell them apart when shooting. I am running the full size because that is what we got, but would be equally happy with the mid-size. As I carried a 1911 for 25 years, I strongly prefer the M&P with ambi-safety; the manual safety is also of significant benefit for AIWB and uniformed LE use.

Irish10
01-01-11, 14:21
I have the full size. I tried a Mid size and shot both before buying but went with the full. Even with the extra quarter inch, it fits all holsters I have for my FS M&P 357sig and conceals just as well as the mid. Not sure how much extra velocity the longer barrel would provide but every extra bit counts. Mine has the thumb safety which I'd probably avoid if I had to do it all over again. I have been a 1911 owner for years and know a lot of folks get the thumb safety because of that but to me simple is best!

Tungsten
01-01-11, 14:25
I've owned the HK45, HK45C and several other modern .45ACPs, and own a slew of 1911s. My M&P 45 Mid-size is bar none the most comfortable of the lot and is the one I carry exclusively now.

As someone else mentioned, after reading Hilton Yam's review of the M&P 45 middy and having been familiar with and respecting of his work over the past few years, I felt that I wasn't really "taking a chance" on the middy as I was just buying a sure thing. I was right.

Other than a slightly longer sight radius from the full-length model, I can see no other benefits of it over the mid-size.

Coleslaw
01-01-11, 18:47
I have the full size. I tried a Mid size and shot both before buying but went with the full. Even with the extra quarter inch.......

1/2" difference in barrel length between the full and mid.

dc202
01-01-11, 19:38
Virtually no difference but I chose the full size because if I bought the mid-size I was going to be putting it in a FS holster anyway so why not have the slight benefit of the extra velocity from the extra 1/2 inch barrel.

citadelshooter
01-01-11, 19:46

Ok, you want an HK45c, which is a compact gun as a companion to your HK45.

Why not the MP45c? Which is compact. I would say sell the Koch and buy a fullsize and compact M&P. Then you have three guns, that use the same mags, same holsters, etc. Also, if you get a factory threaded barrel for the FS you have suppressor capable "system". Just a thought. Customer service would be better too.

Entropy
01-01-11, 19:53
There is very little difference between the M&P45 FS and MS--I am hard pressed to tell them apart when shooting. I am running the full size because that is what we got, but would be equally happy with the mid-size. As I carried a 1911 for 25 years, I strongly prefer the M&P with ambi-safety; the manual safety is also of significant benefit for AIWB and uniformed LE use.

Doc,

For police work do you favor the M&P .40 or .45? How about for non-uniform use?

Yoseff
01-01-11, 20:03
I'm waiting for my mid 45 to be delivered, after all the reviews I read the mid seemed the way to go for myself. I didn't order it with the thumb safety for the simple fact my xd and glocks don't have a safety, so why should I start now... Being this very well could end up being my off duty ccw, kinda wondering if I should have gone with the thumb safety now? Oh well

Triton28
01-01-11, 21:17
While I haven't made the plunge yet, I've been contemplating the same question as the OP. Judging from the minimal weight difference and testimonials from those that have shot both, my leaning is for the full size.

The full size should conceal just as easily and has a longer sight radius. On paper that's a win.

newyork
01-01-11, 21:20
Ok, you want an HK45c, which is a compact gun as a companion to your HK45.

Why not the MP45c? Which is compact. I would say sell the Koch and buy a fullsize and compact M&P. Then you have three guns, that use the same mags, same holsters, etc. Also, if you get a factory threaded barrel for the FS you have suppressor capable "system". Just a thought. Customer service would be better too.

I am not thinking of buying a HK45c at this time or any compact. The whole thread is asking whether I should get an M&P 45F or mid. The M&P 45 is all I'm looking at. I do like HKs very much and may have the 45c someday but my main focus here is M&P only.

loupav
01-01-11, 21:27
newyork, dude come one. The HK is calling you. You know you want a weapon with the same manual of arms as your HK, same type of trigger, same sights. You just don't know it yet. That's why you need ME to help guide you through this though time.

HK...HK....HK....HK.....HK......

Coleslaw
01-01-11, 22:16
newyork, dude come one. The HK is calling you. You know you want a weapon with the same manual of arms as your HK, same type of trigger, same sights. You just don't know it yet. That's why you need ME to help guide you through this though time.

HK...HK....HK....HK.....HK......
:lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2:

JustinT
01-01-11, 22:16
I run a the full-size M&P45 no manual safety. Very happy with it, and hope to be even happier when I get it back from Bowie Tactical Concepts.

DocGKR
01-02-11, 01:02
"For police work do you favor the M&P .40 or .45? How about for non-uniform use? "

While I would be perfectly happy carrying any caliber M&P on duty (especially if an adequate quantity of training ammo is supplied for free), as I have stated previously, should I ever found myself back on uniformed LE Patrol duty, I would choose an M&P40 w/ambi-safety--it doesn't get much better than 15+1 rounds of 180 gr JHP in a soft shooting, easy to carry pistol. For plain clothes and CCW purposes, excepting AIWB, the manual safety is less critical. For CCW, most folks are best served with a 9 mm pistol, as they are easy to shoot, especially with one hand and weak handed, and they are much more forgiving of technique errors on the part of the shooter. For those folks stuck in states with ridiculous 10 rd magazine limits, the M&P45's make a lot of sense.

newyork
01-02-11, 09:14
While I would be perfectly happy carrying any caliber M&P on duty (especially if an adequate quantity of training ammo is supplied for free), as I have stated previously, should I ever found myself back on uniformed LE Patrol duty, I would choose an M&P40 w/ambi-safety--it doesn't get much better than 15+1 rounds of 180 gr JHP in a soft shooting, easy to carry pistol. For plain clothes and CCW purposes, excepting AIWB, the manual safety is less critical. For CCW, most folks are best served with a 9 mm pistol, as they are easy to shoot, especially with one hand and weak handed, and they are much more forgiving of technique errors on the part of the shooter. For those folks stuck in states with ridiculous 10 rd magazine limits, the M&P45's make a lot of sense.

Would any of you guys go with an M&P9 instead of the .45 if you were only allowed 10rd mags?

javentre
01-02-11, 09:19
Would any of you guys go with an M&P9 instead of the .45 if you were only allowed 10rd mags?

I certainly would. All of my handguns are 9mm. I shoot it well, I can afford to practice a lot, and I couldn't care less about caliber war debates.

Coleslaw
01-02-11, 09:19
Nope.

Entropy
01-02-11, 09:38

If it were a subcompact with a shortened grip for easier BUG or concealed carry.

However, if limited to only 10+1.......in a full sized gun that has the weight, and grip size to better manage recoil it's more logical to go with the larger caliber. 9mm is still my choice for off duty and concealed carry, but I prefer to go larger for duty use. Supplying more than one handgun caliber is not that big of a deal.

loupav
01-02-11, 11:46

Then in that case, why not a second G19? As you can tell, I am a fan of the rule of two.

newyork
01-02-11, 11:57
Then in that case, why not a second G19? As you can tell, I am a fan of the rule of two.

Good point as I have pre-bans for it now and more pre-bans are out there. I have holsters here and on the way for the G19 as well as mag holders too but... I did place an order for some Raven stuff for an M&P 45 this morning though. :)

citadelshooter
01-02-11, 20:27
I am not thinking of buying a HK45c at this time or any compact. The whole thread is asking whether I should get an M&P 45F or mid. The M&P 45 is all I'm looking at. I do like HKs very much and may have the 45c someday but my main focus here is M&P only.

Oops! I was responding using a smart phone and couldn't read the entire thread real good. In that case....

Middy. Best of both. If you want suppressor capable - for sh--s and giggles, get the full size kit with two barrels. Only $40 more. If you want you can retro fit a manual safety if you want it later.

loupav
01-02-11, 20:43
I think the Glock makes more sense.