PDA

View Full Version : Mid/Low Ride Holsters for Military

J8127
01-01-11, 13:46
Looking for any first hand experience and recommendations on this.

I run a gun belt for all of my M9 stuff, for a holster I have a Blackhawk SERPA setup that I have as high as I can get it with the top strap removed, I would like to not have any straps on my legs at all.

I need some amount of drop, a "regular" holster or a belt holster are too high and either interfere with my armor or are just too close to actually draw out of.

I had seen some holsters in the duty belt thread that are Mid/Low Ride as Safariland calls it and I think that would be perfect, has anyone run something like this with success? Would you say it would work for military use?

Any recommendations for the holster itself? I like the way SERPA holsters work, I'm pretty good with it, and a lot of the Safariland holsters appear to be too secure for my taste, I don't want a bunch of latches and levers and shit, I just don't want the damn thing to fall out during any dip dodge dive ninja rolling.

Bighead
01-01-11, 15:18
Is a chest mounted holster an option for you? I tried out a chest mounted holster a while back but I had too much going on with the rest of my assault kit for it to work for me but others I have worked with liked it.

I understand your concerns about the SafariLand retention but I never really had a problem with it because I always trained with it (like you and the Serpa).

J8127
01-01-11, 15:33
I don't want to use a chest mount, but it made me think about vehicles as well, would a low-ride holster just wedge itself between me and the seat? I have heard of swivel holsters, but that raises concerns about the thing moving around a bunch.

Chameleox
01-01-11, 16:54
I use a Safariland 6285 (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6285) and an ATS MOLLE belt for SWAT. I primarily use this in a sniper role (prone, kneeling, seated, with ruck, etc.). I used to use the same holster for uniformed patrol, and had no problems drawing from the seated position. Keep in mind, though, that you're probably rolling with more gear than I am.

I went with this because I was used to having my holster closer to my belt, and I found that drawing from a drop leg while walking, running, seated in a vehicle, and from unconventional positions to be tricky at times. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Safariland also makes a semi-rigid attachment that hangs their platforms, but not as low as the original straps. This guy right here (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004-DFA).

Not sure if these are viable options for you.

The basic SLS (hood only) holsters from Safariland will probably not be too much retention for you. I now use the ALS holsters for duty and plainclothes, and they're fast as well as secure, but I've heard reports of them locking guns in if they get rocks or gravel inside. Same could probably be said of a lot of holsters, though.

Target07
01-01-11, 17:01
I always ran a Safariland Drop Holster but it gets a little ackward, to say the least, getting in and out of vehicles. My solution was to get a chest mounted Serpa Holster and when in transit in a vehicle I would remove the weapon from my drop holster and holster it in the Serpa on my chest. This allows quick access while in a vehicle. Simply replace in primary holster when you exit the vehicle. Your only concern would be cross training on both the holsters if they are of different brands and retention types.

I have used the Mid/Low Ride Holsters that Safariland offers and they get jammed up pretty good in a vehicle also....for what it's worth. You may just have to try and see what works for you but a chest mounted holster will do you a lot better in a vehicle than anything on your side...just my $.02

Stay safe.

Turnkey11
01-01-11, 19:51
I used a hacked up 6004 on my last deployment (06-07'), I didn't have any issues in vehicles with seatbelts or anything. My lower thigh strap rides where the upper thigh strap would be on a unmodded 6004, I removed the upper strap and most of the shroud in that area.

jtb0311
01-02-11, 06:34
Bladetech offers a holster with an offset that drops it below the belt, but not as low as a drop leg.

SIGguy229
01-02-11, 07:52
My last deployment to AFG (last year) was a lot of convoy work. Basically, anything on the legs was cumbersome .... and I went with the chest-mounted SERPA. While on the FOB, I had a belt SERPA...

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-02-11, 14:30
I like the safariland 6004 I have the older model with out the extra saftey.

The trick is to have nice legs and wear everything tight, no loose clothes tuck in your blouse. Tape the holster to your belt where you want it so It will not move around and have something to balance the belt on the other side. Keepers work great too the type police wear to keep there duty belts in place.

I wear it up high top strap right in the crotch and rotated to the front a little that sucker never moves even in a all out run. Never have had any issues getting in or out of vehicals with it. You cant get to it that easy when your sitting in the truck.

ARJJ
01-03-11, 01:12
J8127, you can buy the duty belt loop for you existing SERPA thigh holster. I don't recall the part number, but it is listed on BH's website. I can tell you the SERPA duty holster is a "low-ride" holster, similar in ride to the Safariland 6285/6365 series.

I use one on my duty belt (for work), as well as one on my war belt for 3-gun. It clears soft armor and my chest rig.

I bought the spare belt loop from my local cop shop for about $15. For that price, it's worth a try.

J8127
01-03-11, 01:37
Thank you all for the feedback, seems all I can do is give it a try!

J8127
01-03-11, 12:59
Well, the "Jacket-Slot" SERPA belt loop is not low enough for my needs, I may be stuck with a drop leg.