PDA

View Full Version : DD M4 help

DrasticDan
01-01-11, 19:55
Iv owned handguns my whole life and have now bought a Daniels Defense AR M4 V1 , And am hooked on AR's!
Im new to the scene and This forum.
I want to build it.
Any help would be awesome! What i'm looking into is a noveske flash suppresser / Magpul UBR COLLAPSIBLE STOCK / Aimpoint CompM4 /
I know Daniels Defense has top notch products but is there a better bolt carrier company out there i should look into?
Anything else that could be suggested would be a pulse!
Thanks in advance
Dan..

Iraqgunz
01-01-11, 20:22
Have you taken the time to read any of the threads here? Especially the ones geared towards new AR owners? If not, you should.

Leave the BCG alone. It is perfectly fine. What Noveske flash hider are you looking at? Why do you want to change it?

I would start out simple first. Get some mags and ammo and then shoot the weapon. Worry about everything else later.

Iv owned handguns my whole life and have now bought a Daniels Defense AR M4 V1 , And am hooked on AR's!
Im new to the scene and This forum.
I want to build it.
Any help would be awesome! What i'm looking into is a noveske flash suppresser / Magpul UBR COLLAPSIBLE STOCK / Aimpoint CompM4 /
I know Daniels Defense has top notch products but is there a better bolt carrier company out there i should look into?
Anything else that could be suggested would be a pulse!
Thanks in advance
Dan..

boomhower
01-01-11, 20:49
Why do you want to change the FH? Why do you want the UBR? Are you proficient with the irons?

Point is don't be spending money and changing things just for the sake of changing things or because it looks cool in pictures. If you have been out shooting and what you have isn't fitting your needs then sure, go for it. As mentioned above, get out and shoot it. Or better yet take a class. After that you should have a better idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

Quiet-Matt
01-01-11, 21:07
SLOW DOWN DAN!
Take your new carbine out of the box and take it apart, get to know it and learn every detail of it. Learn how to get a good cheek weld and sight alignment. Dry fire alot and work on your trigger control. Order a case of ammo, 5 more p-mags, and some lube. Head to the range and sight it in properly. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Have someone critique your shooting, or post a video and we'll do it for you. Hold off on hanging a bunch of crap off of your gun. You'll thank us some day.

fivefivesix
01-01-11, 23:32
listen to em dan. and dont take offense to what there saying. i have a ddm4v2 and to be honest its perfect the way it is. i put a sure fire light on it and called it done. shoot it shoot it shoot it. the pics on here show a lot of variants and they all look cool but you need to realize that alot of the posters on this site are mil, le, sf, armorers and there ars are set up for a specific task.

usmcvet
01-01-11, 23:39
You will eventually want a sling and light for the gun if it will fill a defensive roll for you. An optic too. I think shooting it as it is for a while is a good idea. The DD BCG is good to go don't change it.

DrasticDan
01-02-11, 00:13
Have you taken the time to read any of the threads here? Especially the ones geared towards new AR owners? If not, you should.
Leave the BCG alone. It is perfectly fine. What Noveske flash hider are you looking at? Why do you want to change it?
I would start out simple first. Get some mags and ammo and then shoot the weapon. Worry about everything else later.

No I have not had the chance to check them out i have just made my account and haven't had time to look. But i plan on checking it out.
Im looking at the KX3 Flash Suppressor

Why do you want to change the FH? Why do you want the UBR? Are you proficient with the irons?

Point is don't be spending money and changing things just for the sake of changing things or because it looks cool in pictures. If you have been out shooting and what you have isn't fitting your needs then sure, go for it. As mentioned above, get out and shoot it. Or better yet take a class. After that you should have a better idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

I think i would like the cheek riser on the UBR. That was the reason in getting that. Im definitely looking into classes..
I do feel i am proficient with the irons but would like to shoot with both.. I wouldn't change things just to change them.. But have looked into it somewhat and kind of had an idea of what would possibly be things that would work for the way i would like to shoot. I have seen pictures and yeah i could say wow thats a ton of stuff on them. Im sure there set up for certain things but nothing i would need it for..
One way i'm looking at this is. I stunt ride motorcycles professionally
with the US stunt riding championships. And build my bikes myself. When building them i pretty much don't use any stock parts on the bike but the best aftermarket parts. And i was looking at building My AR the same way.. That is why i posted the thread. I have used forums for the last 10 years and knew better to search for answers first but acted like a noob and just posted.. lol

SLOW DOWN DAN!
Take your new carbine out of the box and take it apart, get to know it and learn every detail of it. Learn how to get a good cheek weld and sight alignment. Dry fire alot and work on your trigger control. Order a case of ammo, 5 more p-mags, and some lube. Head to the range and sight it in properly. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Have someone critique your shooting, or post a video and we'll do it for you. Hold off on hanging a bunch of crap off of your gun. You'll thank us some day.

Yeah i have done all the above and fired about 3000 rounds threw it. Field striped it completely numerous times just to get familiar with it.
Im diff going to fire it as much as possible and if i do have a chance to film i will for the critiquing.

DrasticDan
01-02-11, 00:21
listen to em dan. and dont take offense to what there saying. i have a ddm4v2 and to be honest its perfect the way it is. i put a sure fire light on it and called it done. shoot it shoot it shoot it. the pics on here show a lot of variants and they all look cool but you need to realize that alot of the posters on this site are mil, le, sf, armorers and there ars are set up for a specific task.

yeah I don't take offense to anything im always all ears to suggestions..

You will eventually want a sling and light for the gun if it will fill a defensive roll for you. An optic too. I think shooting it as it is for a while is a good idea. The DD BCG is good to go don't change it.

I do have a light on it as of now. looking for a sling too.

sammage
01-02-11, 03:47
Why put a KX3 on a non-SBR?

payj
01-02-11, 04:25
Why put a KX3 on a non-SBR?

+1

Look at the PWS FSC 556, Smith Vortex flash hider, or BattleComp....

Littlelebowski
01-02-11, 06:08
Stop.

Go take a class. Get a decent optic.

Iraqgunz
01-02-11, 11:32
You would be better off with a Battle Comp as opposed to a Noveske KX3. But, many people want them for their cool factor, rather than for what they are designed for.

BSmith
01-02-11, 13:40
Buy what you want, you'll probably change most everything anyways based on personal preference. I'm on guns 3 and 4 and I finally have close to what I want with the two. Everyone will try to lead you down what they feel is the best path but sometimes you don't know what you like until you figure out what you don't like.

I like my Aimpoint Micro better than my CompM2. That's a pretty expensive thing so I'd find some local guys to let you see/shoot them and see what you like.

500grains
01-02-11, 13:57
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Keep your gun lubed and practice a lot. Get an Eotech or an Aimpoint. Take a good class. Practice. Daniel Defense guns are good to go from the factory. Just keep it lubed and shoot.

I would rather shoot $225 worth of ammo iin practice than buy a UBR stock.

I would rather shoot $100 worth of ammo than buy a KX3 for my rifle.

etc.

usmcvet
01-02-11, 13:57
Buy what you want, you'll probably change most everything anyways based on personal preference. I'm on guns 3 and 4 and I finally have close to what I want with the two. Everyone will try to lead you down what they feel is the best path but sometimes you don't know what you like until you figure out what you don't like.

I like my Aimpoint Micro better than my CompM2. That's a pretty expensive thing so I'd find some local guys to let you see/shoot them and see what you like.

True. True.

Try out optics if you can. I bought an M3. I traded it to a buddy for an H1 which led to a pair if H1's but now have a pair of M4's and aTR24G the H1's 4 MOA dot did not work well with my eyes. I loved their size but it just didn't work to ME. It can get expensive quickly. I did not have anyone to shoot with it test their gear and I did not really look at the size of the dot very closely. I paid more attention with the M4's and TR24. Live and learn.

usmcvet
01-02-11, 14:03
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Keep your gun lubed and practice a lot. Get an Eotech or an Aimpoint. Take a good class. Practice. Daniel Defense guns are good to go from the factory. Just keep it lubed and shoot.

I would rather shoot $225 worth of ammo iin practice than buy a UBR stock.

I would rather shoot $100 worth of ammo than buy a KX3 for my rifle.

etc.

Yeah that is another 1,000 rounds for you.

ehcarl2983
01-02-11, 14:19
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

Here rob_s gives some great advice.

I have one caveat to the "Go take a course" mindset that is prevalent here and on other boards. If you have access to a range that will allow you the ability to run drills as you see fit, purchase "Green Eyes Black Rifles" by Kyle Lamb, and a training DVD such as Magpul's or LAV's. With the proper mindset you can learn a lot on your own. Then attend a few "action rifle"/"3-gun" matches. Now if you decide the attend the course you will have a good skill and knowledge base to learn from.

I'm not anti-course but unless you live in the vicinity of a small number of places it is a significant financial investment of travel, hotel, ammo and entry fee.

Back to your question, I prefer the T-1/H-1 over the larger RDS YMMV.

EDITED TO ADD: From what I understand the kx3 was designed to create back pressure IOT to help SBR's cycle. As you are experiencing you just opened pandora's box. IF you want to change FH's go for a SF or an AAC just in case you decide to go the suppressor route one day :D

RogerinTPA
01-02-11, 17:58
No I have not had the chance to check them out i have just made my account and haven't had time to look. But i plan on checking it out.
Im looking at the KX3 Flash Suppressor

The A2 flash suppressor is just fine. Shoot it until you learn to mitigate the recoil and still get accurate hits. Down the road, look into the battlecomp.

I think i would like the cheek riser on the UBR. a waste of coin. The MOE that comes with it is just fine

I do feel i am proficient with the irons but would like to shoot with both.. Proficiency is a relative term. Are you able to keep all of your hits in the black or a 5 inch diameter circle from 25 to 400 yards?

Yeah i have done all the above and fired about 3000 rounds threw it. Field striped it completely numerous times just to get familiar with it.
Im diff going to fire it as much as possible and if i do have a chance to film i will for the critiquing.

don't know if this is the case or not, but please don't go out and shoot dirt clods just for the sake of saying I've shot X amount of rounds through her. Make every shot count, as though your life depends on it

My responses in blue.

Some say that learning the Irons are unnecessary, with the current day and age of quality red dot sights. Others like myself are old school and believe you need to master your Irons first, then learn the red dot. I believe in redundancy due to batteries fail, RDSs can break, get damaged, stolen, or get shot off. For that day when shit does happen, you won't be left out of options, for you will still be effective with just the Irons.

justin_247
01-02-11, 19:53
I would approach this in the following order:

1. Skip the KX3 - it's not designed for your type of rifle.
2. Buy 5-10 PMAGs.
3. Sling.
4. Light.
5. Ammo - shoot the crap out of it.
6. Try other folk's optics and buy one you prefer - I prefer Aimpoints and you can get some killer deals on them right now from SKD Tactical and Smartgunner.
7. Go to a carbine class or two or three.
8. Try other folk's muzzle devices and buy the one that works for you.