PDA

View Full Version : Changing the rail?

Kitts
01-01-11, 22:21
I'm looking to buy a S&W ar. I'm thinking about the 15t, but now I'm thinking of just buying the orc to save some money, and just changing the rail. Has anyone done this? How difficult is it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, curt

zombie killer
01-01-11, 22:29
Depends on the rail, what are you thinking of getting? Also what do you need the rail for?

I have installed a Daniel Defense rail and it's pretty easy.

Kitts
01-02-11, 06:18
Depends on the rail, what are you thinking of getting? Also what do you need the rail for?

I have installed a Daniel Defense rail and it's pretty easy.

I haven't gotten to deep in the rail search yet, but I know they use a troy rail on the 15t, and I like that. Though I'm not set on it. I guess one of my main concern's would be that the front sight mount on the S&W orc is removable. That way I can use a full length rail if I decide to.

Appalachian
01-02-11, 07:21
I haven't gotten to deep in the rail search yet, but I know they use a troy rail on the 15t, and I like that. Though I'm not set on it. I guess one of my main concern's would be that the front sight mount on the S&W orc is removable. That way I can use a full length rail if I decide to.

I installed a rail for a buddy and IIRC the "optics ready"gas block is too large. You would have to replace it with a low profile gas block to get a mid or rifle length rail to fit over it. You have to remove the whole shebang anyway if you want to install a free float, so no big deal. Again it has been a while, so I am not 100 percent sure. Somebody here will know for sure though.

Col_Crocs
01-02-11, 08:00
I recommend you get a good basic carbine with standard hand guards first and spend what's left on ammo. Shoot the crap out of it and then decide on a rail, optic, grip etc that suit your needs.

Kitts
01-03-11, 05:10
Thanks for the help. I'm just going to go with the 15t. Comes with the troy rail already, and nice buis as well. Thanks.