PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or New Pre-made Tactical rifle?

specialops192
01-02-11, 02:41
I want a 'tactical' bolt gun for long range target practice, and possibly hunting (though i do have a dedicated hunting rifle, so weight isn't an issue for this rifle).
So here is my dilemma;
Option A: I have a Remington 700 LA chambered in 7mm rem mag. I bought the gun used a few years ago for $250. I have since done some research on the caliber, and found that it has a great bc, and can be accurate to about 1200 yards (plenty for me). In order to make this gun worthy for that range however, it will need a new barrel, stock, some good glass, and some other odds and ends. Im looking at $1800-$2000 in parts (not including scope) and about a 6-8 month wait to get the action re-barreled and trued.

Option B: Buy a new, out of the box tactical rifle, like a GA Precision, in a more common caliber like .308, and spend $3000+.

In your opinion, is 7mm a worthy caliber for a long range rifle or should i fork out the extra $$ for a ready to go rifle in a more common caliber?

I appreciate any input.

Whootsinator
01-02-11, 03:42
Personally, if it were me, I would:

if wanting a paper-punching long range target rifle - get a GAP of preferred flavor in .260 Remington

if wanting a 'tactical' do-everything anywhere anytime - Get a Tactical Operations rifle of preferred flavor in either .308 or .300WinMag.

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/cover4.html

specialops192
01-02-11, 03:52
Whats the price range roughly for tac ops rifles?

Alpha Sierra
01-02-11, 08:19
7 mm Remington Magnum is definitely a worthy long range caliber.

There are several .284" match bullets with seriously high BCs

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-02-11, 14:19
Rem 700 LA mag bolt face you have everything you need.

I can put you intouch with my smith it should not take that long. If you have not shot the rifle that much I see no need to rebarrel at this time. Get a good stock from Manners or McMillan, have the trigger tuned, crown recut, lugs lapped and maybe add a wayatts extended mag box spend the rest on the scope and reloading supplys.

It will make a great long range target/hunting round, an 8 pound keg of H1000, some good brass and CCI primers, top it off the 162g AMAX and you have a great round with a high BC and proven results on game out to past 1k

I went the pre built off the shelf McMillan rifle for my first person precsion weapon and it was great. But for the cost I could have had a much better rig with every feature personaly picked out by me.

PM me if you would like his name he is in PA

specialops192
01-04-11, 01:45
I appreciate the replies. I think im going to upgrade. ICANHITHIMMAN ill pm you about that smith. I bought the rifle used, so no round count on the barrel. Its a lightweight hunting barrel, so it lacking accuracy anyways, so i figured rebarreling would be the best avenue for most the accuracy.

Zanshin
01-17-11, 19:49
What he said. If you rebarrel you can rechamber into almost any round you want (since the chamber is in the barrel). You have a 700 long action which can chamber 300 win mag (like the new M24E1). You can also chamber short action rounds, like 308. Or you can stick with 7mm Rem Mag.

Dom

Rhutch
01-17-11, 20:06
What's your glass budget?

Does what you do to the rifle or what new rifle you buy cut in to your glass budget?

JStor
01-17-11, 21:50
With the magnum bolt face, you will have to stick with a magnum round for your choice in rebarrelling...unless you want to get a new bolt.

BCmJUnKie
01-18-11, 11:36
Has anyone talked to a smith on swapping barrels? If you keep the same caliber barrel and get it swapped out for a heavy or bull barrel what would they charge?

Watrdawg
01-18-11, 15:08
A couple of years ago I sent my Rem 700 Stainless 300 Win Mag to Hill Country Rifles in TX. I had them rebarrel my rifle with a Lilja Barrell and then bed it all in a HS Precision stock. Total cost was around $1400 if I remember right. The rifle was already in a HS Precision Stock so all I paid for was the smith work and the new barrel. This rifle shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards all day. It's easily MOA out to 600 yards and probably farther than that If I could do my part. Hill Country does very good work. My rifle is a hunting rifle but I could easily use it for most any other purpose.

BCmJUnKie
01-20-11, 12:13
Ya thats about the prices ive been getting too. I found a place in colorado, you sent them your action and for 699 they swap it onto a blank in whatever contour you want for 699. It includes alot more work too. I just bought a new stock for now.