PDA

View Full Version : Info on my 1911's, MC & EB

Pappabear
01-02-11, 09:55
I picked up my MC Operator from Nelson Ford in Phx AZ. Nelson did a trigger job and made it break very nicely at 4lbs per my request. I also had him change the sights to a 10-8 rear sight and a Ed Brown front white dot with bold white lines. I provided the sights to Nelson.

He showed me on his test fire that the gun fires 2.5 to 3 inches low at 7 yards. I had checked with Ed Brown on heights etc before I bought them. It turns out, the Novak "like" rear sight is not a true sized Novak on the MC Operator. It sits high. It is larger than a normal or true Novak. Just be aware if you own an MC Op. Mine may have been an exception as luck would have it??

Secondly, I was wearing my Ed Brown that I earlier reported having a larger trigger guard. Several others wrote they have Ed Browns and their triggers guards and holsters do not have issues. So I thought once again, I have lost my mind or my holsters are out of spec. Therefore, I tried several holsters, Blackhawk and Blade-tech and none fit my Ed Browns. I asked Nelson if he had calipers and told him the story. He measured the MC Operator trigger guard at .365 and the Ed B at .415.

I went to the desert and shot the MC Operator, and of course it did not matter when shooting steel so much. The gun functioned very well for about 300 rounds and I took the opportunity to heat up my KAC with Battle Comp while at it.

I guess at some point I will try to find a lower sitting front sight even though I doubt it matters in most tactical shooting.

Anyone know where I can find a front sight that sights about .155 or a little lower than a traditional front sight.

Happy New Year!

Dave Berryhill
01-02-11, 10:36
I don't mean to be a smart ass but how was Ed Brown supposed to know what sights your pistol needed? Did you measure your existing sights before ordering new ones?

Springfield owners have been complaining about their pistols shooting low for years so it sounds like the company finally did something about it by installing taller rear sights.

You may not like a front sight that is only .155 tall as it will be harder to pick up than a taller one. You might end up installing the tall 10-8 rear sight and a front sight necessary to shoot to your point of aim.

Pappabear
01-02-11, 12:32
On the sights, No offense taken and I tried to explain, no one was at fault except me, especially not Ed Brown. This is not an Ed Brown Bash. They did as they should. My point of the post is that, there are many MC owners on this forum and they should know that springfield does this which may confuse.

And I was looking for a solution at the end. Which I found something from you. A tall 10-8 may be my best solution. Thank you.

In the end, I am happy with my MC Op and my Ed Browns. I bought a second Ed Brown, with the larger Trigger Guard. Just a little Give and take here.

Dave Berryhill
01-02-11, 12:36
Out of curiosity, what rear sight came with your MC Operator and how tall is it?

Pappabear
01-02-11, 13:19
Dave, I dont know how tall. I could look at it when he pulled out a True Novak and see it was taller. If you are real curious, I can send it to you. I have several sets of old Night sites that will just die of old age. I do not need it, I tried to give it to Nelson, he made me keep "just in case", but I am not going back to this sight.

They are the Springfield version, and have the Trijicon stamp on the side. They also have the Silver looking inserts. They work pretty good for night sights, but in day time I hate them.

Pappabear
01-02-11, 13:21
Dave, I was looking for the paperwork for the 10-8 rear. It is a .140 mount. What size or height should I try to buy to remedy my low POI?

Dave Berryhill
01-02-11, 14:55
The 10-8 rears are available in 2 heights - .325, which is "standard" Novak height and .375. This is measured at the rear, from the large flat area on the bottom to the top of the sight at its highest point.

The standard height 10-8 is available with either a .125, .140 or .156 U-notch. It sounds like you have a standard height with a .140 notch. The tall version is only available with a .125 U-notch so if you decide to go that route, you'll either have to live with the .125 notch or have it widened to .140.

Going with the taller rear is going to raise your POI about 6.5 inches at 25 yards so you may need a taller front sight to go with it. Shoot it for groups at whatever range you want your zero at and I'll help you figure out what your sight correction needs to be.

Pappabear
01-02-11, 16:00
For anyone trying to follow that has an MC, my 10-8 is a .325 height with a .140 notch. Thanks to Berry for helping clear up the error net.

So if you have a Springfield, and want to change the sights, I suggest you do as I did for my TRP, send it to SA custom shop. Many less headaches!