PDA

View Full Version : Vortex magnifier

orionz06
01-02-11, 11:34
I know very little of Vortex, but I was pricing out their 3x magnifier (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-vmx3-red-dot-magnifier) and it seems like a decent option from a company that is making good stuff right now.

My thoughts are to use this magnifier with a Larue pivot mount with an Aimpoint Micro. Does anyone have any experience with this, or insight?

jasonhgross
01-02-11, 12:01
I wish somebody made a 4x

ucrt
01-02-11, 14:42
I wish somebody made a 4x

==================

EOTech does.

cjt50
01-02-11, 21:38
I have one and let me qualify my comments with this is the only magnifier I have used.

It works. The adjustments allow you to center the dot / reticle. The glass is good. It also has an eye piece focus ring that will focus the dot/reticle. It's not as clear as an aimpoint magnifier, but it is also a quarter of the cost. I bought mine as a proof of concept type thing and for punching paper, the value with that in mind is outstanding.

Mine is currently mounted in an ADM absolute co-witness height swing around mount. With a Troy BUIS underneath it, it will rub alittle clearing the sight, but usable. I suspect mounted in a lower 1/3 height mount it would not rub at all. I may try a Larue mount in the future.

Would I buy it again, for what I'm using it for, absolutely.

ETA:Just checked the Larue web site and appearently they are releasing a newly designed pivot mount, hmmmmmmm

VelveteenMole
01-02-11, 21:47
I know very little of Vortex, but I was pricing out their 3x magnifier (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-vmx3-red-dot-magnifier) and it seems like a decent option from a company that is making good stuff right now.

My thoughts are to use this magnifier with a Larue pivot mount with an Aimpoint Micro. Does anyone have any experience with this, or insight?

I've seen a pretty thorough independent review on TOS. It showed and reported very clear glass for its price, the longest eye-relief (2") short of an Aimpoint, and no notable issues with build quality. The focus ring was supposedly firm enough to prevent inadvertent movement. It can be adjusted to center the dot in the tube. The main issue is the bulk of the rubber armor. It will not fit over an MBUS when mounted behind a lower 1/3rd red dot. However, the rubber armor can apparently be carefully cut away over the MBUS. The rubber is actually thin and covers a fat section of the tube, held on by the smaller diameter on each end, so you don't want to cut all the way to the ends of the sleeve, just a little square over the MBUS, and then probably cement the rubber down around the hole. It will fit over a troy with a lower 1/3rd mount, and it will fit in a LaRue FTS mount.

Vortex seems to have a good rep for customer service and quality for the price. In fact, I found out the rubber could be cut away when I posed the question in their industry forum and they actually tried it and took a picture with advice on how to do it. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me.

ucrt
01-02-11, 22:14
I've seen a pretty thorough independent review on TOS. It showed and reported very clear glass for its price, the longest eye-relief (2") short of an Aimpoint, and no notable issues with build quality. The focus ring was supposedly firm enough to prevent inadvertent movement. It can be adjusted to center the dot in the tube. The main issue is the bulk of the rubber armor. It will not fit over an MBUS when mounted behind a lower 1/3rd red dot. However, the rubber armor can apparently be carefully cut away over the MBUS. The rubber is actually thin and covers a fat section of the tube, held on by the smaller diameter on each end, so you don't want to cut all the way to the ends of the sleeve, just a little square over the MBUS, and then probably cement the rubber down around the hole. It will fit over a troy with a lower 1/3rd mount, and it will fit in a LaRue FTS mount.

Vortex seems to have a good rep for customer service and quality for the price. In fact, I found out the rubber could be cut away when I posed the question in their industry forum and they actually tried it and took a picture with advice on how to do it. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me.

====================================

FYI
The 1/3 Co-Witness Mount is higher than an Absolute Co-Witness Mount for an RDS or Magnifier. Seems like it should be lower but it isn't. The 1/3 Co-Witness is the highest mount available for RDS.

That is pretty good customer service. I think they are making a pretty good impression for a new company.

VelveteenMole
01-02-11, 22:19
====================================

FYI
The 1/3 Co-Witness Mount is higher than an Absolute Co-Witness Mount for an RDS or Magnifier. Seems like it should be lower but it isn't. The 1/3 Co-Witness is the highest mount available for RDS.

That is pretty good customer service. I think they are making a pretty good impression for a new company.

Yes, a "lower 1/3rd" co-witness mount is higher. What's the confusion?

ETA: My point was that even in the tallest mount (lower 1/3rd), it wouldn't fit over the MBUS, and cutting the rubber is apparently a way around that.

orionz06
01-08-11, 10:35

Vortex has a strong reputation here and that is what made me consider them. Their other products are sought by lots of people who seem to be un-accepting of crappy gear, so I may just have to buy one and try it.