PDA

View Full Version : When did Colt start doing HPT & MPI testing

sr71plane
01-02-11, 12:02
Does anyone know when Colt started HPT & MPI testing the bolts and barrels on their rifles and carbines?

5pins
01-02-11, 12:26
I think it was in the early 1960's:laugh:

sr71plane
01-02-11, 17:45
The reason I ask is in regards to the Colt Sporter Rifles of the late 80's and early 90's. I have seen all kinds of Frankenstien Sporters out there. A2 uppers on A1 lowers, sear blocked guns with half moon carriers, guns that have the half moon carrier but no sear block, some with large front take down pin hole while others with small, etc., etc. There was about a 5 year period where Colt just seemed to get anything matched with anything and out the door. Before you scold me, (or laugh in my face again) I realize that these changes where done for political reasons. I was wanting to know if Sporter Rifles were tested in this fashion too.

scottryan
01-02-11, 21:55
The reason I ask is in regards to the Colt Sporter Rifles of the late 80's and early 90's. I have seen all kinds of Frankenstien Sporters out there. A2 uppers on A1 lowers, sear blocked guns with half moon carriers, guns that have the half moon carrier but no sear block, some with large front take down pin hole while others with small, etc., etc. There was about a 5 year period where Colt just seemed to get anything matched with anything and out the door. Before you scold me, (or laugh in my face again) I realize that these changes where done for political reasons. I was wanting to know if Sporter Rifles were tested in this fashion too.

Yes they were all tested.

The whole "anything matched with anything" line of thinking as it applies to Colt actually does not apply.

There is a pattern to what was sent out the door. You just have to be well versed in Colt product.

BSmith
01-02-11, 22:05
My buddy that doesn't get on this forum says they were proof fired from the beginning and 1964 started the MPI.

sr71plane
01-02-11, 23:29
Yes they were all tested.

The whole "anything matched with anything" line of thinking as it applies to Colt actually does not apply.

There is a pattern to what was sent out the door. You just have to be well versed in Colt product.

I am happy to hear that they were tested. I did not mean this in a negative way. It was a confusing time. I know that the sear block and half moon carrier were put in at this time but wasn't the exposed rear end of the firing pin in the back of the bolt carrier introduced before this? And,........is this exposure of the firing pin as negative on a semi auto as one would be made to think from reading this forum?

scottryan
01-03-11, 07:57
I am happy to hear that they were tested. I did not mean this in a negative way. It was a confusing time. I know that the sear block and half moon carrier were put in at this time but wasn't the exposed rear end of the firing pin in the back of the bolt carrier introduced before this? And,........is this exposure of the firing pin as negative on a semi auto as one would be made to think from reading this forum?

It is just confusing as all these variations happened one right after the other so it makes it appear they were using whatever parts they had on hand, but that wasn't the case.

sr71plane
01-03-11, 08:24
Thanks for the info.