PDA

View Full Version : Finally did some work to my faithful carry gun.

Dos Cylindros
01-02-11, 15:26
This G23 has been my daily off duty carry gun for the last seven years. I carry the .40 because my primary duty gun is a G22, and so obviously mags, ammo and holsters are all compatable. I work plain clothes narcotics full time, and this gun freequently comes with me when working UC buy operations.

This gun has never malfunctioned with or without a light attached, and is, for me the perfect size for full time concealed carry. My only complaint of the G23/19 size guns is that the 3rd gen finger grooves do not fit my hand in any way, shape or form. I just put up with it for years, but yesterday I finally mustered the balls to do something about it.

I started out by taping off the frame and then went to work with a dremal set on low speed. After smoothing out the grip 360 degrees, I undercut the trigger guard so I can get my hand up high on the grip. After shaping the grip to my liking, I took a very fine tip soldering iron and went to work. Pictured with the gun is my daily carry gear which consists of a blade tech mag carrier, raven concealment phantom with IWB loops and a surefire EW-09 folder tha the wife bought me for Christmas. The gun is now transformed in my hand, and I know it will be a faithful companion for years to come. Please tell me how you guys think it came out. Be gentle, I am no professional plastic artist :D.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/Glock1.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/Glock2.jpg

Cagemonkey
01-02-11, 15:31
Looks great. I'd never have the balls to something like that myself to my Glock.

Atchcraft
01-02-11, 15:32
That looks great. I've been trying to muster enough "balls" to do my G21. Thanks for the motivation.

Was this your 1st one?

Dos Cylindros
01-02-11, 15:38
That looks great. I've been trying to muster enough "balls" to do my G21. Thanks for the motivation.

Was this your 1st one?

Yes, this was my first one. I have done a couple of Magpul XTM rail covers, so I had a fairly good idea of how much pressure to use with the soldering iron. If you do try it, my advice would be to use a variable speed dremel tool and go VERY slow. Once you are done grinding on the grip, it will look horrible but should feel very good in your hand. That is the time you start the stipple process. I used a very fine tip soldering iron and wently slowly making light taps on the frame. I wanted a fine texture, not really big burn marks that I have seen on other home brew jobs. After I was done covering the grip, I pulled off the tape and tested it in my hand. It was slightly too rough, so I lightly rubbed some very fine grit sand paper over the stippling to knock off the edges and now it is perfect. Does not snag clothing, but the grip is ten times better fitting and gripping for me than the stock setup.

Street Survival
01-02-11, 15:47
Dos,

Awesome job now your going to be inundated with side work :-)

Stay Safe

Jimmy

Atchcraft
01-02-11, 16:05
Thanks for the tips! I'll practice on some pmags. You're right, some look a little over done. The fine stippeling on yours looks like the ticket.

Dos Cylindros
01-02-11, 17:21
Thanks for the tips! I'll practice on some pmags. You're right, some look a little over done. The fine stippeling on yours looks like the ticket.

The plasic box, or mag loader that came with your Glock works well also for practice. You can even get light dremel practice on the loader to remove the markings on it so you get the feel for doing it on the frame of your gun. The finger grooves do require a little more pressure to remove though.

dsa
01-02-11, 18:07
Looks good! I need to muster up the courage to do that to my Glock 19. I [I]hate[I] the finger grooves.

Since you have the camera out how about some more pics of your Axiom?

pistolman1974
01-02-11, 20:32
Nice, I undercut the trigger guard on all of my glocks (19,21,23). The grips feel so much better!

loupav
01-02-11, 20:36
Looks great!

Thanks for sharing.

rainman
01-02-11, 20:47
Congrats...looks very functional, and professionally done.

-Rainman

Atchcraft
01-02-11, 21:16
The plasic box, or mag loader that came with your Glock works well also for practice. You can even get light dremel practice on the loader to remove the markings on it so you get the feel for doing it on the frame of your gun. The finger grooves do require a little more pressure to remove though.

I never thought about the box, excellent. That thing has been collecting dust for 10+ years and now it's going to take one for the team!

I've been looking for a reason to pick up a good Dremel. My tools are geared towards metal fab and, judging from the scars on my hands, they're not that good for detail work.

I love a DIY attitude. It's a nice "stress release" from work, ya?

Mark71
01-02-11, 22:03
Great job. Looks great. Wish I had the courage to do that to my Glocks.

Dos Cylindros
01-03-11, 00:07
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad to know I did not screw it up too badly :D. It looks good to me, but you never know until you get some imput. As far as having the balls to do it yourself, I really think anyone can do it. The key is thinking about what you want, and then planning it out ahead of time. I am all for sending out work you don't feel comfortable doing youreself, I just waited 13 months for a custom 1911 to be built for me. I think stippling and re-contouring a Glock frame is something anyone can do if they plan ahead. If I wanted a full grip reduction, I would have sent that out, but a slight re-conture and stipple is well within most end users abilities with a little research and planning.

350_eight08
01-04-11, 15:26
Great looking job there. Looking into doing some work on a 17 and 19, and between your work and a buddy of mine, looks like I might finally get it done. Let you know the outcome. Thanks for posting this.

DocH
01-04-11, 16:25
Good job,especially for a first time. I did a little practice with a AG grip extender that I never liked or used,then stippled the checkered areas of the front and back strap on one of my 2nd Gen G19's. Turned out well.I just go slow.
I havn't psyched myself up enough to remove the finger grooves yet on a 3rd Gen,but hopefully I'll get there.

deuce9166
01-04-11, 16:29
Very nice! Looks factory.

theJanitor
01-04-11, 18:08
great job DC. I just cut/reshaped/stippled mine in the past couple weeks too. in fact, the day I brought it home, I cut it. Being used to checkered 1911's, a glock feels like a bar of wet soap

Militant83
03-15-11, 22:51
Dos

can you post a pic of the tip you used? I really like the texture you have vs. other guys on youtube.

Packman73
03-15-11, 23:06
Looks great!

SmokeJumper
03-15-11, 23:18
Looks like a great job for your carry gun!

Dos Cylindros
03-16-11, 10:23
Dos

can you post a pic of the tip you used? I really like the texture you have vs. other guys on youtube.

I will try bro. I am out of town for work this week, so i will try to update this when I get home. I just bought a soldering iron from Home Depot and I think the brand was Whelen or something like that. The tip looks just like a fine point ball point pen.

Dos Cylindros
03-16-11, 10:25
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I almost forgot I posted up this thread a while back. My supervisor is giving me his off duty G27 to have a go with it, needless to say I am a bit nervous about hacking away on his gun.

Magic_Salad0892
03-16-11, 11:10
Looks good.

If you don't want to stipple it (as I don't like that) you can also take 400 grit sand paper and smooth it out.

I've been interested in trying to dimple one KAC style though.

Not enough to try though.

Militant83
03-16-11, 13:36
I will try bro. I am out of town for work this week, so i will try to update this when I get home. I just bought a soldering iron from Home Depot and I think the brand was Whelen or something like that. The tip looks just like a fine point ball point pen.

Dos,

I know what tip your talking about now after watching some more vids on youtube. Not liking the outcome when guys use a flat tip doesnt look as good as the fine tip. Thanks for the idea I have a couple glocks that will be getting a new look. After some practice of course.

Militant83
03-16-11, 14:42
Dos,

To do your sanding on the finger grooves and trigger guard did you use the dremel sand paper wheel or the sanding stone?

Dos Cylindros
03-16-11, 20:53
Dos,

To do your sanding on the finger grooves and trigger guard did you use the dremel sand paper wheel or the sanding stone?

Used the dremel to start with sand paper wheel & touched up by hand with sand paper.

Militant83
03-16-11, 22:14
Used the dremel to start with sand paper wheel & touched up by hand with sand paper.

Cool bro thanks, Ill share my progress once I get it all done.

hdfb910
03-18-11, 18:25
http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/hdfb910/?action=view&current=g36.jpg

You inspired me to do my project. The speed bump on my G36 hits right in the middle of my finger. I was able to remove it and am happy with the progress so far. Much better feel. I also trimmed under the trigger guard. The pic is at an angle but it all came out even. I have built 1911's before but was hesitant to start grinding away on the plastic.

Pete

Dos Cylindros
03-18-11, 22:03
http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/hdfb910/?action=view&current=g36.jpg

You inspired me to do my project. The speed bump on my G36 hits right in the middle of my finger. I was able to remove it and am happy with the progress so far. Much better feel. I also trimmed under the trigger guard. The pic is at an angle but it all came out even. I have built 1911's before but was hesitant to start grinding away on the plastic.

Pete

Looks like a good start. I would bet you could do a very light texture to the sanded area and get it to look nearly like the factory texture.

Militant83
03-18-11, 22:35
I got bored today and decided to do some work on my G23 not finished but you can check out my progress is my thread.. Thanks for the inspiration.