PDA

View Full Version : considering a change

AFCATM
01-02-11, 19:46
Currently my EDC is a S&W 442 stock. It's ok but it is a challenge to be as accurate as i usually am with the trigger and sights being the biggest obstacle for me. I am considering buying a 640 to replace it. I find the 640 has a better trigger and i would be able to replace the factory sight with a more effective sight such as XS sight. The grips that are on my 442 are fine and i prefer them over the stock grips on the 640. I see that S&W has released the 640 already for moon clips. I am curious about that. I usually carry one hks speed loader in my pocket and a tuff strip in a back pocket.

Here is my question. What would be the best replacement for the factory front sight and how sturdy are S&W's moon clips for the j-frames? I would probably replace the factory grips with a set of crimson trace grips in addition to the upgraded sight. If needed i might later send it off to apex to get thier trigger job done.

Primarily i carry strong side OWB until i pick up an IWB holster or I use thunderware which is not as uncomfortable as i thought. This will be primary carry here for day to day carry until it becomes secondary to the M&P i am getting. Just gotta wait for my tax refund.

Advice or suggestions welcome. I appreciate the help.

Redhat
01-02-11, 20:08
What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 442?

How much do you want?

C4IGrant
01-02-11, 20:11
All J frames should come standard with CT grips.

The J Frame is a conversation distance gun. So if you can get center mass hits at 10yds and in, don't worry about it.

C4

Hound_va
01-02-11, 20:14
So you want to go from an Airweight to an all steel frame? That is you want to go from 15 oz empty to 23 oz empty? Sights are basically the same other than one is a pinned blade vs the other being an integral blade. The integral blade can be milled off by any number of smiths, including S&W so it can be replaced. The better trigger is hit and miss from 1 sample to another. A proper carry trigger job by a good smith would likely do wonders. Keep in mind this usually isn't accompanied by the words "lets do a spring replacement" or "lighter mainspring".

Moon clips aren't terribly durable. Add to that a lot more leverage with long 38 or 357 cartridges, as compared to the original 45, and that makes for a bit easier bending of the clips. Long slender cartridges aren't a whole lot faster to reload via moonclips than speedloaders. Moonclips do speed up reloading for short stubby cartridges like the 40 or 45. Bent moonclips will tie up a revolver.

J frames take a fair bit of practice to shoot well. Not particularly a beginners revolver. Personally I'd go with a 442/642 all day over a 640 and even more if it's going to back up another pistol just due to the weight difference.

AFCATM
01-02-11, 20:15
Hey red hat. I am getting chest sized groups at seven yards rapid fire. The 640's I have shot in the past even with full power magnum rounds i could get much better accuracy. Put it to you this way red. I fired qual with a buddies 640. I would not be able to do that with this 442. I have dry fired alot. This is strictly a belly gun as it is currently. Just not feeling it with this one. I bought it cause i got it for a good price but i have a co worker that wants it. I am making back my money on it. If i do not get the 640 straight off I'll get the M&P full size.

Redhat
01-02-11, 20:23
I have fired exactly one 442 years ago, but at 25m I could hit the circle on the Q target SLOW fire.

More to the point, here's what "I" would do. Since you mentioned wanting the M&P, I would get trigger work done on the 442 and save up for the M&P.

To me no matter how you slice it, both the 442 and 640 are intended for close range.

You still at Herbie?

AFCATM
01-02-11, 20:23
I was mainly looking at the moonclip speeding up the extraction of empties. Being that a few always hang up due to the shorter ejector. With the moon clip you pull one out and they all come out together. The moon clips would never replace the tuff strips and speed loader. The 640's I have shot just felt better with full power magnum round than the air weight with +p's.

Not a beginner with revolvers. My 686-4, and my old 60 were both easier on DA than this little bugger.

AFCATM
01-02-11, 20:27
Yep still at herbie. Old Bob Goen just retired and is now living the good life in Texas. I made Tech so I am flight bound this summer but i am looking at some jobs in ohio and getting ready to send out resumes. DOS is in June and I hate this yard. Considering getting out.

Redhat
01-02-11, 20:28
If you have time, drop me a PM, I know some of the guys down there.

rainman
01-02-11, 20:43
Personally I'd go with a 442/642 all day over a 640 and even more if it's going to back up another pistol just due to the weight difference.

Couldn't agree more. I have one each (442, 642), both with CT grips, both have had the actions touched-up (STOCK SPRINGS!). I used to have a 640 but sold it. The weight difference between the allow versus steel frames is very noticeable.

While I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, I don't relish the thought of torching off one of Federal's finest classic 125gr JHP .357 rounds in ANY J-frame, no matter what it weighs.

Speer Gold Dot .38spcl 135gr +P JHP will get the job done quite handily...while not a magnum, there's a noticeable difference in recoil between those and most other .38spcl +P ammo that I've tried. The Speer is a modern ammo (last couple of years) that was purpose-designed to be fired from short barreled revolvers...from what I've heard, it has a pretty good street record.

As was also stated in this thread, the J-frame is a "conversation distance weapon". If I need something stouter than a 442/642, I'll be pawing for a G19.

-Rainman