PDA

View Full Version : Range Training and Instruction

red_star_republic
01-02-11, 22:01
After What are you training for? I'd thought I'd ask How do you Train - Semi Auto Pistol.

Reloading with only one hand? Shooting steel at 100+yards? Shooting upside-down while rolling to cover? What are some of the things you do to stay sharp. I'm looking for new training tips or tricks. Most drills have already been re-hashed a thousand different ways so looking for "outside the box" drills that address new concepts and can be practically implemented. I shoot either a Glock 22 or 1911.

Due to the budget crunch I've also been looking for supplement courses to compliment the normal regiment of training that I receive. I've been to CSTI and I'm thinking of going back for Field Tactics in the Terrorist Environment end of January. I would also like to go to Gunsite or a MAGPUL course. I've heard mixed reviews about the three day course from MAGPUL in San Jose (anyone been?). Gunsite?

Thanks

YVK
01-03-11, 01:40
Reloading with only one hand? SometimesShooting steel at 100+yards Occasionally? Shooting upside-down while rolling to cover No? What are some of the things you do to stay sharp. I concentrate on fundamentals. The most impressive shooters I've seen didn't have any particular tricks or moves, they simply never had their fundamentals break down. I always do a few pure marksmanship runs. I've started to adopt a thing I learned in my most recent pistol class: you come with a particular practice plan, but before you start doing anything you'd planned, you need to pass an accuracy standard. If you don't pass it, you forget your initial practice plan and keep shooting your accuracy standard.

Failure2Stop
01-03-11, 14:33
You are asking a few questions, so this thread is going to be a bit erratic.

What do I train for?
Violent conflict with the realization that I may sustain serious injury during the course of the fight.

I believe that precision work is a critical aspect to perform
at the highest level, so I do some bullseye work (not as much as I think I should, mostly because I find it tedious and boring), but I don't think that it is necessary to be an accomplished bullseye shooter before doing close-range work. I do believe that the shooter must be able to achieve a head shot at 7 yards on demand.

Rolling around on the ground is great, but if the shooter can't fire a 5 round string without anticipating half of the shots, the cart is in front of the horse.

Where to go for training?
I would recommend MagPul Dynamics every day over Gunsite.
MagPul Dynamics isn't the only game in town when it comes to realisitc employment of firearms, take a look in the AAR section to see what fits your goal.