PDA

View Full Version : Best use of a pre-ban lower in a ban state?

theoak
01-02-11, 22:47
I'm living in a ban state and trying to decide how to configure my last pre-ban lower.

I already have a LMT 14.5" CQB MRP Piston (with a EoTech 552); and a Noveske Afghan 14.5" mid-length (with a S&B 1-8x24 on order), both with pinned Surefire FH556-212A and Magpul ACS stocks.

The answers to the following questions would help me decide on my last pre-ban configuration:

1. Is a sound suppressor also considered flash suppressor in ban states?

2. Can you use a carbine buffer tube with a rifle length gas system?

3. How does the Triple Tap or the Battle Comp compare to the Surefire FH556-212A as an all around muzzle device? (aside from flash suppression), i.e. range use, carbine classes, patrol rifle, home defense, etc, not for competition use. Are the Triple Tap / Battle Comp both considered post ban?

4. Is anyone still buying 18" - 20" uppers with rifle length gas systems (aside from competition + hunting)? Or is the additional length/weight not worth the increased velocity/range?

5. Has anyone gone the 300 Whisper or 6.8mm SPC route and regretted it? I was considering an upper in another caliber, however I was concerned about commonality of parts and the cost of ammunition.

I was thinking of either buying an upper in a different caliber (like the 6.8mm SPC or 300 Whisper), or of building an upper around a White Oak 20" SS barrel. This will be my last pre-ban, then I may build an 18" 1/8 SS rifle length w/ Battle Comp on an A2 post-ban lower...

VLODPG
01-03-11, 05:13
I'm living in a ban state and trying to decide how to configure my last pre-ban lower.

I already have a LMT 14.5" CQB MRP Piston (with a EoTech 552); and a Noveske Afghan 14.5" mid-length (with a S&B 1-8x24 on order), both with pinned Surefire FH556-212A and Magpul ACS stocks.

The answers to the following questions would help me decide on my last pre-ban configuration:

1. Is a sound suppressor also considered flash suppressor in ban states? I'm in CT & IIRC it is here

I have seen & shot a few 20" uppers with carbine stocks. It seemed to be a non issue

3. How does the Triple Tap or the Battle Comp compare to the Surefire FH556-212A as an all around muzzle device? (aside from flash suppression), i.e. range use, carbine classes, patrol rifle, home defense, etc, not for competition use. Are the Triple Tap / Battle Comp both considered post ban?
I run a 3T on my BCM 11.5 upper & love it! How it compares to others I don't know. There is a Black Rifle shop in CT that did a perm attached 3T for a post ban build here so I would think it would be gtg!

4. Is anyone still buying 18" - 20" uppers with rifle length gas systems (aside from competition + hunting)? Or is the additional length/weight not worth the increased velocity/range? Unk!

5. Has anyone gone the 300 Whisper or 6.8mm SPC route and regretted it? I was considering an upper in another caliber, however I was concerned about commonality of parts and the cost of ammunition.
I have two 6.8's that I love, the only downside is the cost of ammo.

I was thinking of either buying an upper in a different caliber (like the 6.8mm SPC or 300 Whisper), or of building an upper around a White Oak 20" SS barrel. This will be my last pre-ban, then I may build an 18" 1/8 SS rifle length w/ Battle Comp on an A2 post-ban lower...If you are going 6.8, stick with a 16 or 18" barrel tops. General concensus is longer is not needed!

Hope this helps!

chapperjoe
01-03-11, 08:24
1. Is a sound suppressor also considered flash suppressor in ban states?

-Interesting question, but irrelevant as it is regulated under separate laws. E.g. here in NY there are no sound suppressors allowed. They are the best flash suppressors though, so I'm guessing a state that would ban (or a rule that would ban) flash suppressors, would also ban sound suppressors.

-hell yes.

-I've had neither, and as far as I know neither has an ATF letter stating that they are not flash suppressors. (why would they given that us ban-staters are only 3/50 of the states!)

4. Is anyone still buying 18" - 20" uppers with rifle length gas systems (aside from competition + hunting)? Or is the additional length/weight not worth the increased velocity/range?

-my worthless opinion? 18" is a great rifle length, 14.5" for carbines.

-I went 6.8 for my thumper/scout. no regrets.

theoak
01-03-11, 09:36
I was considering one of the following options for my last pre-ban build:
1. A LWRC 16" M6A1 in 6.8mm (the M6A1 has a bayonet lug).
2. A SSK 300 Whisper 16". (Since the can is considered a FH, this would take advantage of being a pre-ban).
3. Buying a 20" SS White Oak barrel, a VLTOR MUR, a Knights M5 Rifle RAS, a YHM railed gas block w/ bayonet lug, and a Surefire FH556-212A or Smith Vortex and putting together an upper.

I also considered one of the following, although I probably could just buy a post-ban A2 lower and a Battle Comp and not have to spend all the money on a pre-ban lower:
1. A Knight’s SR-15 upper.
2. BCM Mk 12 Mod 4-Bravo (VLTOR VIS12), 18” SS with a rifle length gas system.

I wanted to take advantage of as many pre-ban features as possible, since I spent $$$ to purchase a pre-ban lower.

m1a_scoutguy
01-03-11, 12:18
Sounds like ya got some good ideals !! I live in good Ole NY myself and have always wanted a Pre-Ban,,Lower,,but just never could justify the $$$ that they want for them,,always trying to look for deals but just never seem to find one !!! For me the "ONLY" thing that I would really like about the Pre-Ban would be the ability to swap out Muzzle devices and not have to have them Pinned & Welded !! No real advantage if you run a 14.5 BBL,,cuz I think "everyone" in every state has to have that,,but I could be wrong !! I have tried many different stocks,,collapsible,,fixed,,etc,,and for me,,I see no real advantage for a Collapsible stock,,maybe in the Winter when I go to the range the shorter stock would be better when I'm wearing layers of clothing ! As far as the Bano Lug,,I could care less,,,although there are items you can attach to it other than a Bayonet,,but no big deal !! When it's all said and done,,,look things over and decide what really works best for you out of the "extra" items available to you when running a Pre-Ban Lower,,that is the big Plus,,,,its your choice,,,,,Enjoy !! :)

theoak
01-03-11, 18:24
Sounds like ya got some good ideals !! I live in good Ole NY myself and have always wanted a Pre-Ban,,Lower,,but just never could justify the $$$ that they want for them,,always trying to look for deals but just never seem to find one !!! For me the "ONLY" thing that I would really like about the Pre-Ban would be the ability to swap out Muzzle devices and not have to have them Pinned & Welded !! No real advantage if you run a 14.5 BBL,,cuz I think "everyone" in every state has to have that,,but I could be wrong !! I have tried many different stocks,,collapsible,,fixed,,etc,,and for me,,I see no real advantage for a Collapsible stock,,maybe in the Winter when I go to the range the shorter stock would be better when I'm wearing layers of clothing ! As far as the Bano Lug,,I could care less,,,although there are items you can attach to it other than a Bayonet,,but no big deal !! When it's all said and done,,,look things over and decide what really works best for you out of the "extra" items available to you when running a Pre-Ban Lower,,that is the big Plus,,,,its your choice,,,,,Enjoy !! :)

I agree with you, I don't find the collapsible stock that much of a benefit, and I like the A2 stock just fine. I also don't plan on ever mounting a bayonet, so having a lug itsn't much of a benefit. The only real advantage is being able to mount a flash suppressor. Having it pinned isn't a big issue with me, as I don't change muzzle devices once they're on.