PDA

View Full Version : DD Omega installation question

ejewels
01-03-11, 13:10
So, the shop I go to is installing a DD Omega 7.0 rail on my MT6400c as well as threading the barrel and installing a new comp. They said they need to remove the front sight and all of that to do all of this. Is this true? I thought the Omega's were able to just be put on easily?

C4IGrant
01-03-11, 13:11
So, the shop I go to is installing a DD Omega 7.0 rail on my MT6400c as well as threading the barrel and installing a new comp. They said they need to remove the front sight and all of that to do all of this. Is this true? I thought the Omega's were able to just be put on easily?

No FSB removal is required for the Omega (unless your gun has some sort of FF tube or rail on it and they need to get that off first).

C4

ejewels
01-03-11, 13:19
Not sure. Its just the standard MT6400c barrel. I'm hoping they aren't charging me more labor and I'm being "had".

Iraqgunz
01-03-11, 13:27
Go to the Daniel Defense website and watch the video presentation by Larry Vickers. It clearly states that it is easily installed BY THE USER. That means no gunsmith required.

Now, if I were you I would contact your local shop and ask them exactly why they need to remove the barrel to install the rail. If they say because you have to then pick up your weapon and politely tell them to pound sand. Remember this. If they do not know what they are doing and they screw up your barrel by threading the flash hider on there it's going to suck.

I would be very sure that they know what they are doing. I would already be skeptical for the fact that they have told you they need to remove the FSB in order to install a USER INSTALLABLE rail system.

Not sure. Its just the standard MT6400c barrel. I'm hoping they aren't charging me more labor and I'm being "had".

bkb0000
01-03-11, 13:27
if it's an Omega X, then yes- if it's a regular Omega, then NO, they don't need to remove anything except the stock plastic two piece handguards to put the rail on. it's the easiest free-floating rail install in the known universe.

ejewels
01-03-11, 13:59
These guys are one of the best custom shops in my area. I have full trust in them. Definitely not some idiots that don't know what they are doing. They supply / work on all of the state troopers' rifles. Besides, if they screwed it up, they would just owe me a new one :)

Maybe its easier for them to work on the barrel threading if they remove the FSB?

bkb0000
01-03-11, 14:02
These guys are one of the best custom shops in my area. I have full trust in them. Definitely not some idiots that don't know what they are doing. They supply / work on all of the state troopers' rifles. Besides, if they screwed it up, they would just owe me a new one :)

Maybe its easier for them to work on the barrel threading if they remove the FSB?

what barrel threading are they working on? the standard omega handguards have nothing to do with "threading"... they just pop on and bolt to the existing barrel nut

Iraqgunz
01-03-11, 14:02
Then why did you ask the question? I have no idea what shop you are referring to, but I know that we have members here who also though that their local shop as the "tits" only to find out the hard way that wasn't true.

ejewels
01-03-11, 14:03
Now, if I were you I would contact your local shop and ask them exactly why they need to remove the barrel to install the rail.

I don't think he is gonna remove the barrel, he pointed to the front sight when he said "we gotta remove this"

Iraqgunz
01-03-11, 14:04
He is having a flash hider or something threaded onto his barrel.

what barrel threading are they working on? the standard omega handguards have nothing to do with "threading"... they just pop on and bolt to the existing barrel nut

bkb0000
01-03-11, 14:05
I don't think he is gonna remove the barrel, he pointed to the front sight when he said "we gotta remove this"

he was wrong. it was probably just a brain fart on his part... just make sure they didn't charge you a disassembly fee when you get the bill.

Iraqgunz
01-03-11, 14:07
I meant the FSB. In any case you seem to think that everything is fine, yet you doubted them enough to pose the question. Does that seem ironic to you?

So the question has been answered and we'll close this one down. Let us know what they ended up charging you and how it all worked out later.