PDA

View Full Version : Delete

Skang
01-03-11, 14:02
Delete

Belmont31R
01-03-11, 14:08
Changing the magnification should have no impact on the POI.

bobbo
01-03-11, 14:09
I believe it will be four times bigger... :sarcastic:

Skang
01-03-11, 14:16
haha, thanks guys.

some reason I though it would be off.:laugh:

mbogo
01-03-11, 14:58
I have seen it happen with Leupold, Burris, and Nikon scopes to one degree or other (it has not happened with my Zeiss or Swarovski scopes).
While some manufacturers work hard to prevent it, it is not uncommon for POI to change when magnification changes, especially on the lower-end optics brands. Try three-shot groups at each magnification level at 100yds. to see whether your POI shifts.

mbogo

Skyyr
01-03-11, 15:09
In First Focal Plane (FFP) scopes, the POI will not change.

In Second Focal Plane (SFP) scopes, it can (and commonly does), especially in economy-brand scopes. As the magnifying lense(s) move, the image is magnified or demagnified according to their position, but the crosshair remains the same size because it's in front of them. Because it's impossible to get the lenses completely in line with each other and because each lense has small imperfections, this results in a varying zero that changes with the magnification. The higher the power, the worse the distortion.

On a 1-4x, it's virtually guaranteed to be a SFP scope; however, the magnification is so relatively small that it's usually a non-issue. At powers 10x and above, it can be disastrous to assume POA = POI, as errors in lenses and alignment are multiplied by magnification.

Skang
01-03-11, 15:47
Delete

Skyyr
01-03-11, 16:23
I am not looking into buy budget/low end scopes.

Haven't decide one, But Night Force 1-4x or TR24G would be on my list with price range of $1k ish.

I am guessing 1-4x vs 1-6x or 8x would not have problem with POI either? Since most of good optics with 1-6x or 8x will cost well over $2k. I don't mind settle with 1-4x as my first scope for shot-mid range setup.

It ultimately depends on your level of accuracy. Most carbines are combat accurate within 2MOA, which is far "worse" than the deviation most SFP scopes would give you in the 1-6x power range.

If you're a sub-MOA shooter needing sub-MOA accuracy at all power levels, then you'll want a FFP scope. If you simply want to hit center of mass on a torso-sized target, it'll do just fine.

It's only at intermediate/long-ranges or situations requiring consistent sub-MOA accuracy that it's an issue.