PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather running

tradja
01-03-11, 19:12
It's been unusually c-o-l-d here in Central OR this winter. Due to her taking some time off this summer, I lost my spouse pass at the gym my wife teaches at.

Pushups, situps, pullups, burpees and basic weight bar stuff has been pretty easy to keep up on at home, but I've discovered that I really don't like cold weather running below 20dF or so. After about half an hour of panting cold, dry desert air, my esophagus feels "burned" for lack of a better description, down behind my sternum. It seems to take a day or two to recover.

2 winters ago, a buddy and I were training for a pre-employment fitness test. We did our final pre-test here one Sunday when it was 17dF. He couldn't finish, our 300m sprint times didn't make minimum, and I burned my lungs badly. The real test was Thursday 150 miles away in 45dF, and we got the top 2 scores in our group.

My wife and I xc ski casually/recreationally once or twice a week, and I don't have this burned-lung problem. This has made me consider just jogging less intensely to keep my breathing rate down, since it is better than not running at all.

I really need to get around to shopping for a cheap gym (between jobs right now, can't spend a lot) to get back on a treadmill. Indoor running has been my default cold-day option in past years. In the meantime, any ideas for running on cold days?

murphy j
01-03-11, 19:53
How do you dress for cold weather running? I personally would slow my pace and increase my distance somewhat. I've experienced what you're talking about and by reducing the intensity level and dressing better/differently than what I was seemed to alleviate it.

superr.stu
01-03-11, 20:16
Here in Illinois we have a LOT of wind. One of my running routes actually takes me through a wind farm... On chilly days with with it's not uncommon to be running with a windchill of 0-10df. When it's like that I've found that lowering my intensity helps quite a bit. I'll also put a bandanna over my face and it seems to really help take the edge off. Also for me, running when its really cold is never going to be *comfortable but something that I need to suck up and do to reap the rewards later.

tradja
01-04-11, 14:38
Thanks for the responses!

How do you dress for cold weather running? I personally would slow my pace and increase my distance somewhat. I've experienced what you're talking about and by reducing the intensity level and dressing better/differently than what I was seemed to alleviate it.
I dress lightly, usually just a midweight long underwear layver (pants and shirt) with a light nylon windshirt and pants. Thin gloves and thin Spandex-y beanie. I'm usually sweating within 10 minutes, and fairly wet/frosty by the time I finish. It's not that my body gets cold, but the inside of my chest feels ragged.

Here in Illinois we have a LOT of wind. One of my running routes actually takes me through a wind farm... On chilly days with with it's not uncommon to be running with a windchill of 0-10df. When it's like that I've found that lowering my intensity helps quite a bit. I'll also put a bandanna over my face and it seems to really help take the edge off. Also for me, running when its really cold is never going to be *comfortable but something that I need to suck up and do to reap the rewards later.
I have tried running with a Buff over my face, but I feel suffocated with the even partially recycled air.

Thanks very much to both of you for suggesting reduced intensity and increased distance. I think that's the ticket. It's finally warmed up to 34dF right now so I can run normally today, but I will try longer/slower for really cold dry days.

Whootsinator
01-04-11, 14:47
Have you thought about a LIGHT balaclava/ski mask or similar product?

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_4_9652.asp

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55179_999047524_475000000_475003000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

The wool might be a little too heavy for running... But I'm not sure.

The Underarmor would probably be awesome for running, since it's very thin and light, and you can fold it down to be a neck gaiter if it does get too hot, then pull it back up when your throat starts to burn.

tiger seven
01-04-11, 14:57
I've run in temps as low as 8 degrees F, with snow on the ground. As far as clothing goes, the key for me is to dress for how I will feel once I'm warmed up. This means I'll usually be a bit cold for the first mile or so, but not be drenched in sweat when I'm done. I start out slow, warm up gradually, and then assume my normal pace.

For me, the absolute most essential piece of gear, and the one thing that makes winter running possible, is a fleece face mask. The one I have is fairly lightweight, covers just my nose and mouth, velcros behind my head, and is perforated over the mouth area. I can breathe fine and it doesn't get wet from the moisture in my breath. If I get hot, I can slide it down around my neck. If I get cold, I can pull it back up over my nose and mouth. If need be I can rip it off and stuff it in a pocket. It's just enough to take the chill off the air and get rid of the searing chest pain from inhaling ice cold air. Without it I could never run in cold weather. If you're looking for any other specific cold-weather running gear I can make recommendations and/or break down my whole running outfit, but for me that's top of the list.

Derek

tradja
01-04-11, 16:10
For me, the absolute most essential piece of gear, and the one thing that makes winter running possible, is a fleece face mask. The one I have is fairly lightweight, covers just my nose and mouth, velcros behind my head, and is perforated over the mouth area. I can breathe fine and it doesn't get wet from the moisture in my breath. If I get hot, I can slide it down around my neck. If I get cold, I can pull it back up over my nose and mouth. If need be I can rip it off and stuff it in a pocket. It's just enough to take the chill off the air and get rid of the searing chest pain from inhaling ice cold air. Without it I could never run in cold weather. If you're looking for any other specific cold-weather running gear I can make recommendations and/or break down my whole running outfit, but for me that's top of the list.

Derek
Excellent. My clothing seems to be adequate, but a mask like you describe might be necessary. I've seen neoprene versions of what you describe during my time in the ski industry, but not just fleece. Is yours something like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/tradja/31jz2modxwL.jpg

tiger seven
01-04-11, 16:20
Yes, that looks almost exactly like mine. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post a long time ago. I don't recall who made it, but I can check if you want. I find the neoprene ones way too hot for running, but the fleece is perfect.

Derek

tradja
01-04-11, 16:30
Yes, that looks almost exactly like mine. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post a long time ago. I don't recall who made it, but I can check if you want. I find the neoprene ones way too hot for running, but the fleece is perfect.

Derek
Thanks Derek! It's good to know that you've found that a non-neoprene fleece version can reduce the effects of inhaling ice-cold air.

No, the exact brand is not critical. I have some leftover gift card at Dick's Sporting Goods and their ammo is too spendy anyway.

bkb0000
01-04-11, 16:41
i've done quite a bit of training in central oregon winter. running in dry, frozen desert air does make your lungs burn... unless you use a rebreather or some kind of humidifying device- which would be pretty ridiculous- there's no getting around it.

you do get acclimatized, however.. after maybe a month of daily running, the burn was a LOT less. a moderate steady run barely burned at all.

you're not doing any kind of damage... just have to tough it out. run slower at first, then work your way back up.

tiger seven
01-04-11, 17:38
Thanks Derek! It's good to know that you've found that a non-neoprene fleece version can reduce the effects of inhaling ice-cold air.

No, the exact brand is not critical. I have some leftover gift card at Dick's Sporting Goods and their ammo is too spendy anyway.

No problem. Cold weather running is actually pretty fun once you get the right clothing figured out, but it took me most of last winter to get my gear in order and find out just what works best for me. It always reminds of that old saying: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." :)

Derek

Naxet1959
01-04-11, 19:28
I regularly run in the cold so it no longer bothers me breathing wise. The coldest I have run it was -15 air temp in Omaha, I did a 5 miler (was doing the Houston Marathon that weekend, BIG change in temp!) My gear runs like this:
40 and up, shorts and t-shirt with a cap on under 50

25 to 30's: wind pants, thicker socks, light shell, tshirt, cap, 1 set of gloves

low 20-single digits: wind pants, smart wool socks, sometimes long sleeve tshirt, mostly just regular tshirt, wool cap over ears, wool gloves, maybe second set of cotton gloves over the wool ones

Lower temps: all of the above except a full balacava for the head, mittens for the hands and ski mask for the eye protection if wind chill is there...

I do a lot of longer runs so if you are only running 1 or 2 miles, you might need more because you don't really get warmed up. Runners World did an article a year or so ago about breathing in cold weather and the gist of it is your body warms the air sufficiently so no damage, just discomfort until you get used to it.

yellowfin
01-11-11, 16:48
Yard sales and/or Craigslist are full of exercise equipment around February from people giving up on New Year's resolutions.

MeanRider
01-15-11, 18:28
I hate to run in the cold snow and then I have to remind myself of all the years I spent playing Hockey outdoors some in the -20 range and that it was never that bad. So then I make myself man up. Light weight poly clothes will go along way.