PDA

View Full Version : Barrel threading work dangerous?

ejewels
01-03-11, 19:13
Hello,

I am having my MT6400c's stock muzzle break / comp taken off and having it threaded and a new comp put on and pinned. This is being done by a reputable shop in CT, JoJo's Gun works. They have been great so far. Another member raised a question as to how reputable they are and if I trust them. After thinking about it, how dangerous / sensitive is this task being done? Is it a hard task meant for only the very skilled? Guess I'm a little paranoid now LOL.

SpankMonkey
01-03-11, 21:32
No its a simple process. If they do not know what they are doing they can screw it up. But most gunsmiths do this a lot.

Iraqgunz
01-03-11, 21:44
I think you COMPLETELY misunderstood what I was saying. So let me clarify for you again. If I take a carbine to a gun store and ask about threading the barrel in order to install a flash hider or whatever and at the same time I also asked about installing a rail and they told me that they needed to remove the FSB for a simple task like that I would be concerned.

It has jack shit to do with threading the barrel. It has to do with the fact that they are either taking you for a ride or they don't know what they are talking about.

Get the work done and then report back to us.

Hello,

I am having my MT6400c's stock muzzle break / comp taken off and having it threaded and a new comp put on and pinned. This is being done by a reputable shop in CT, JoJo's Gun works. They have been great so far. Another member raised a question as to how reputable they are and if I trust them. After thinking about it, how dangerous / sensitive is this task being done? Is it a hard task meant for only the very skilled? Guess I'm a little paranoid now LOL.

ejewels
01-03-11, 21:57
I'm gonna give 'em the benefit of a doubt. They are good guys and are reputable, so he may have just had a brain fart as someone suggested. I'm not judging no more. S#$t, if anything got screwed up they would owe me anyways.

Mac5.56
01-04-11, 00:53
I'm gonna give 'em the benefit of a doubt. They are good guys and are reputable, so he may have just had a brain fart as someone suggested. I'm not judging no more. S#$t, if anything got screwed up they would owe me anyways.

Wow...

Mac5.56
01-04-11, 00:54
Please do report back to us with a review of the service you get. I am interested to hear how this turns out.

Displaced Texan
01-04-11, 08:00
I wouldn't classify it as 'dangerous' work, but it does require a gunsmith that knows what he's doing.
I'm sending my Colt MT6400C upper off to Adco shortly to have the same thing done. I'm having a EGW Gen II comp installed.

I don't know anything about JoJo's gunworks, but I do know that Adco has a solid reputation, and is not new to this kind of work.
If you have any doubts about your gunsmith, you might want to check out Adco.

www.adcofirearms.com

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but in the research I've done about threading a barrel and installing a comp, they come HIGHLY recommended by several credible sources.

Good luck!

Jeff

glocktogo
01-04-11, 08:49
If you're just threading a barrel for a flash hider, just about anyone can do that. If you're threading for a suppressor or suppressor mount, you need to have it done by a professional. If the thread job is off center from the bore or is a lower grade thread tolerance, baffle strikes may occur.

Here are the tolerance classes from the Unified Thread Standard:

A classification system exists for ease of manufacture and interchangeability of fabricated threaded items. Most (but certainly not all) threaded items are made to a classification standard called the Unified Screw Thread Standard Series. This system is analogous to the fits used with assembled parts.

Classes 1A, 2A, 3A apply to external threads; Classes 1B, 2B, 3B apply to internal threads.

Class 1 threads are loosely fitting threads intended for ease of assembly or use in a dirty environment.

Class 2 threads are the most common. They are designed to maximize strength considering typical machine shop capability and machine practice.

Class 3 threads are used for closer tolerances.

Thread class refers to the acceptable range of pitch diameter for any given thread. The pitch diameter is indicated as Dp in the figure shown above. There are several methods that are used to measure the pitch diameter. The most common method used in production is by way of a Go-NoGo gage.

jdodd
01-04-11, 09:39
Just relax until the work is done. :laugh:

I have used both Jojo's and Adco for work on my AR and here is my take.

Jojo's: They quality of work varies depending on who actually works on your gun. If its one of the owners, you are good to go. If it's someone else in the shop, its hit or miss. I made sure I knew who was doing my work (I watched him) and no problems (very pleased with quality). My co-worker had some 1911 work done, and it was VERY sloppy. Nasty machining marks etc...

ADCO: I Just had several hundred dollars at ADCO done. Shave FSB, install new rail, remove pinned comp, install and pin new comp. pin new stock etc. Ill have to post pictures, everything was top notch. Very speedy communication and fast turn around.

If you look hard enough you will find PLENTY of good reviews for both and only a handful of negative. I will from now on out be doing all my AR work from ADCO, but that doesn't mean JOJO's is going to screw the pooch on your order.

-J

Shane45
01-04-11, 09:53
Iraqguns, I'd like to hear more about how removing the FSB has nothing to do with threading the barrel or installing a railed handguard because I can think of several reasons to do so.

Iraqgunz
01-04-11, 10:08
Then send me a PM to discuss it.

Iraqguns, I'd like to hear more about how removing the FSB has nothing to do with threading the barrel or installing a railed handguard because I can think of several reasons to do so.

Stickman
01-04-11, 11:17
Hello,

Pulling an upper receiver apart (pulling the FSB and barrel) is not a big deal. If they are a decent shop, it shouldn't be an issue.

stifled
01-04-11, 11:46
All machining is dangerous work. A skilled gunsmith working on quality parts should have few problems, though. Threading is a measure twice cut once procedure if there ever was one, but most gunsmiths develop an anal attention to detail if they don't start with one--anything else would cost them too much money.

Shane45
01-04-11, 12:08
No one else learns anything in a PM conversation :(

ejewels
01-04-11, 13:14
As others have said, I'll wait till the work is done. I'm sure it will be fine, as everyone will have good and bad stories. Hopefully i'll have a "hit". Don't know who is doing the work, I do know that the guy doing it does most of their AR work. They have done this stuff so many times anyways.

ejewels
01-04-11, 13:16

I'm with Shane. +1

bkb0000
01-04-11, 13:37
holy crap... still?

if they're threading your barrel (MT6400c are not threaded?), then OF COURSE they need to completely strip the barrel. they're gonna chuck it up into a lathe- cant really do that with an FSB or receiver hanging off it.

i obviously wasn't clear on the fact that you're getting the barrel THREADED, and apparently neither was anyone else.

ejewels
01-04-11, 14:14
From what I understand, its not threaded and there is just that huge MB pinned to the end of it. I think the non-ban version (6920) is threaded. I'm careful of what to ask about this kind of stuff, as I got closed down for simply asking the differences in my gun and a real M4, god forbid. Which I had previously searched on and nothing turned up, so the natural place to ask is here, right?

bulbvivid
01-04-11, 14:37
I am having my MT6400c's stock muzzle break / comp taken off and having it threaded and a new comp put on and pinned.

According to this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18318, and given that nothing has changed, the gun has a brake pinned on without threads underneath. I'm taking it that you are having the stock brake removed and the barrel threaded for a new comp. Sounds involved, and may be worth just buying a new barrel, but I'll let you crunch those numbers. The thread even mentions JoJos, so hopefully something there can help put your mind at ease.

Your statement above was somewhat vague, so hopefully this will clear up some confusion for other posters in the thread.

You asked the question, and Iraqgunz courteously gave you an avenue to an answer. If you learn something you feel others should know, come back and post it.

I'm with Shane. +1

Pssst. . . try not to do that, the "+1" thing. It's weird.

ejewels
01-04-11, 15:35
Thanks. ya, I saw that thread last night. I am getting it threaded and a new comp put on. its only costing me $150 bucks, so how would a new barrel be a better choice?

Iraqgunz
01-04-11, 15:38
I don't care. I said to PM me so as to not derail this thread anymore than it has.

bigbore
01-05-11, 06:37
Jojo's: They quality of work varies depending on who actually works on your gun. If its one of the owners, you are good to go. If it's someone else in the shop, its hit or miss. I made sure I knew who was doing my work (I watched him) and no problems (very pleased with quality). My co-worker had some 1911 work done, and it was VERY sloppy. Nasty machining marks etc...

That explains a lot.

cohiba
01-05-11, 12:26
From what I understand, its not threaded and there is just that huge MB pinned to the end of it. I think the non-ban version (6920) is threaded. I'm careful of what to ask about this kind of stuff, as I got closed down for simply asking the differences in my gun and a real M4, god forbid. Which I had previously searched on and nothing turned up, so the natural place to ask is here, right?

ejewels. Relax. Please. I understand you are excited and trying to learn. You are getting worked up over nothing.

Your Colt, like mine, has that ridiculous pinned comp on it. There are no threads. It is a simple thing to do and they have done it more than anyone else in CT. All of my barrels have been done there except for one done by ADCO. All of them, including ADCOs, came out perfectly.

ejewels
01-05-11, 13:33
It is a simple thing to do and they have done it more than anyone else in CT.

Good to know, thanks. Did you get their comp on yours? How is it if you did? I believe its called the CSP Muzzle Brake. It looks like an A2 but acts as a comp apparently.

cohiba
01-05-11, 13:58
Their own comp is very nice and very popular. It works well.

I use SF556ks and KAC Triple Taps.

My 6400c has a 556k.

ejewels
01-05-11, 20:06
So, I got the gun back tonight. It looks awesome. JoJo's did a great job, and they are very helpful to a noob like myself. Highly recommend their work and business.

Iraqgunz
01-05-11, 21:05
Would you please elaborate about the rail install scenario?

So, I got the gun back tonight. It looks awesome. JoJo's did a great job, and they are very helpful to a noob like myself. Highly recommend their work and business.

Scotty
01-06-11, 06:47
I'm just glad ejewels is happy with his rifle.

ejewels
01-06-11, 07:10
Well, the threading was good and the CSP muzzle brake looks great. The rail looks great too. Everything seems to be fine.

Scotty
01-06-11, 08:29
sweet

Iraqgunz
01-06-11, 10:47
Specifically I would like to know if someone felt it was necessary to remove the FSB to install the rail or did they misspeak?

Or were they referring to removing the FSB to perform the barrel work only?

What was the final bill for the work they performed?

Well, the threading was good and the CSP muzzle brake looks great. The rail looks great too. Everything seems to be fine.

ejewels
01-06-11, 10:52
Honestly, I didn't even ask about removing the FSB, but I'm assuming they did since I got it threaded and the rail put on in the same day. The final bill for the threading and Brake was around 165. There was no charge for installing the DD Omega, just the price of the actual rail. All seems good to me.