PDA

View Full Version : MP9 front sight replacement?

R.CoreyMorrow
01-03-11, 22:11
Rear WTS went in pretty as you plz. The front sight ..... well not quite so easy. I am concerned about applying any more force to finish the deal. I have beaten my brass drift and L index finger silly.

Before the peanutgallery starts with the preface on WTS packaging about smith installation, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

Tungsten
01-03-11, 22:36
If you're near Nashville I can help you with that. I have a MGW sight tool made for the M&P that makes it a snap.

Magsz
01-04-11, 00:17
If you're near Nashville I can help you with that. I have a MGW sight tool made for the M&P that makes it a snap.

Careful.

Too much pressure on the sight blade (which is how these sight tools work) can cause the sight to bend or snap off entirely. Ask me how i know. :)

The best way to properly install a sight is to believe it or not, bash it into the dovetail after appropriate hand fitting has been done.

Try filing a little bit of material off of the bottom of the sight until it can go a third of the way into the dovetail. Once its in approximately a third of the way proceed to bash the bastard in on the BASE of the sight, not the blade.

R.CoreyMorrow
01-04-11, 20:40
I carried the slide by the local fun shop. They generally don't do any smith type workso I didnt think they would be able to help. I was wrong. I know the dude who manages the shop. He took the slide in the back put it into a mepro sight press. Drifted sight in. Said after I shoot it if needs adjustment to let him know. We walk back to counter. I asked how much. He says we are good. ;)

Now all I have to do is remove all the brass on the front of the slide. :(

javentre
01-04-11, 20:45
Now all I have to do is remove all the brass on the front of the slide. :(

Use your favorite copper solvent and a brush. It takes 2 seconds.

Joeywhat
01-04-11, 21:52
Yes, don't hit the blade, it'll snap off. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

May need to file the sight a bit to get it to fit better. Or use a bigger hammer.

ejeffreyhorn
01-05-11, 14:50
I see you are in NW TN. If you have occasion to get down to Memphis, Guns and Ammo will replace it on site in about 15 minutes. Cost is $15.

Chayse
01-05-11, 16:41
Just a quick question on this. Which way do you drive the front sight out of the slide? I have an M&P compact that I'm having a heck of a time removing the front sight on to replace with an AmeriGlo.

jonconsiglio
01-05-11, 16:52
Careful.

Too much pressure on the sight blade (which is how these sight tools work) can cause the sight to bend or snap off entirely. Ask me how i know. :)

I use a universal sight tool and it has a small piece that fits into the dovetail so no contact is made with the blade itself.

I tried doing it with punches and drifts, but ended up slightly dinging a Warren tritium sight, so I went with the sight tool. I've done a handful of 1911's, Glocks and Sigs by hand and I swear the M&P is one of the hardest I've worked with…. getting the old ones out and the new ones in are equally hard, and this is after removing a little material from the rear Warren.

Just a quick question on this. Which way do you drive the front sight out of the slide? I have an M&P compact that I'm having a heck of a time removing the front sight on to replace with an AmeriGlo.

Out from left to right and in from the right side.

Erik 1
01-05-11, 17:05

Left to right as you're looking at the rear of the pistol (towards the ejection port side).