PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove aluminum heatshield on A2 Full Length hand guards?

Jimston
01-04-11, 12:28
I was recently given a set of NCstar 5.9 inch rails w/ 12 slots that are made from Aluminum, and a Black Pro mag vertical fore grip.

Without removing the heat shield, i can only mount the 5.9" inch rail at the front end of the plastic hand guards. I'd also have to mount the rail through the aluminum heat shield.

I've been told that you should not mount anything into or through the heat shield.

If i can safely remove the heat shield without causing harm to it, i'll be able to mount the rail and fore grip anywhere.

If there is any specific tools or methods that will help me do this without any serious issues, i'd greatly appreciate it.

fdxpilot
01-04-11, 13:46
1st off, nothing from NC Star or Promag would go anywhere nere my guns. The only ProMag piece I ever purchased was an out of spec mag for my old Ruger P89. That taught me better. NCStar is chinese made junk knockoffs.

2nd. That said, if you have the proper blind nuts, you can remove the shield, mount the rails, and replace the shield.

Jimston
01-04-11, 15:25
Thx for the reply. I really do not want to try and use this stuff if it really is chinese junk. I just wanna get a feel for a vertical fore grip before i decide to buy something more worth while.

My friend bought the parts from cheaper than dirt.com and used the parts on his first AR with no issues.

There is also lots of reviews where people claim they had no issues with either the rails or the fore grip, so thats why i wanted to give it a shot.

When you say replace the heat shield, do you mean that the old one will be useless after i take it off? or just to put the old one back on?

Would a flat head screw driver be fine for removing the heat shield?

SomeOtherGuy
01-04-11, 15:55
The heat shields are just stamped metal. You can pry them off with a flat screwdriver without damaging them, and reinstall them with your fingers. No biggie.

There are some accessories, such as Harris-made bipod mounts, that specifically say you can attach them over the heat shields. It tends to pull the shield over to one side a bit, but does no harm I can tell.

Jimston
01-04-11, 16:42
Thanks for the reply "Someotherguy"

I managed to get them on and off without to much of a hassle. I mounted the fore grip where i wanted it, but instead used a top notch rail, instead of the crap one.

I can say for starters that the VFG feels very natural for me. But until i get to the range to give it a go, i won't know if it works for me or not.

I can see why so many people like them. It does seem to give me better control over my full Length Colt w/ 20" Hbar.

Edit: Moderator, please close this thread now, thanks.

JStor
01-05-11, 10:31
What fdxpilot said.