PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated long range weapon in SHTF scenario

ColoradoKevin
01-04-11, 16:42
I was just looking for everyone's thoughts on bringing along a dedicated long range rifle in a SHTF scenario, in addition to my 16" carbine. Do you see any benefit to this? Should it be the same caliber as my m4 or does it really matter? Thanks in advance.

Whootsinator
01-04-11, 16:48
In a SHTF scenario I personally, Mr. Blow Joe Average, would view a dedicated long range gun as way too much of a burden to lug around. If your target is far enough away to require such a rifle, they're far enough away that sneaking quietly away (or closer) is usually a better option. A standard M4 with irons can be used to at least harass targets 500 yards away. Put a decent optic on it and you can easily suppress targets at that range.

EchoMirage
01-04-11, 16:57
depends on where you live. the OP is in colorado. there are MUCH more places to shoot over 200 yards there, then compared to here in NJ. the only place to get a very long shot here is a rooftop, or empty stretch of highway.

something like this was brought up in another TEOTWAWKI thread. if youre wandering the wastes like in fallout, a 308 battle rifle is best. anything urban, M4s are better.

if you just want to buy something for the hell of it, and add to your collection, then go ahead. cant go wrong with a G3 type, AR 10, or M14/M1A variant.

kartoffel
01-04-11, 17:11
Nothing wrong with a regular deer rifle, either. In my mind, a long range heavy hitting SHTF rifle is for making meat.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-04-11, 21:32
We definately have more land to cover and you can see so much farther here in west than you can back east. "Best Defense" had a episode where they ran a bolt action and I think with long shooting lanes, you could make an arguement that a 308 bolt gun would not be a bad choice.

I guess it comes down to the difference between SHTF and EOTWAWKI. Sure it would be nice to have the rate and suppression of an AR for a SHTF, but in the long run it would be a pain to keep that thing fed.

No doubt the MK12/MK262 combo is a useful long range tool, but after shooting 200-400 yard steel with 762 vs 556, 762 gets things done with authority.

So I just stopped worrying and bought an LMT MWS, best of both worlds.

RogerinTPA
01-04-11, 21:46
I was just looking for everyone's thoughts on bringing along a dedicated long range rifle in a SHTF scenario, in addition to my 16" carbine. Do you see any benefit to this? Should it be the same caliber as my m4 or does it really matter? Thanks in advance.

I don't see a need for it. You won't want to give your position away with unnecessary shooting. You'd be better served with a good compound bow for hunting or dealing with single, one man intrusions on to your property. Your 16 inch M4gery with a 1X4 power scope and good ammo, should do everything you need it to do for everything else.

ColoradoKevin
01-05-11, 08:21
Thanks for the ideas guys...I was thinking last night in terms of defending a safe house type of situation that I would not want to give up unless forced to

Raven Armament
01-05-11, 09:48
In that case, I would opt for claymores set with trip wire.

K.L. Davis
01-05-11, 09:55
In that case, I would opt for claymores set with trip wire.

An excellent way to end this one...

ColoradoKevin
01-05-11, 10:53
Sorry if my topic was not deemed worthy....it was just a thought that popped up.

K.L. Davis
01-05-11, 11:12
The topic was okay... the thread just jumped the shark a little.