PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Build

X JBM X
01-04-11, 21:01
So I've just recently ordered all the parts. Some of them I have already, some of them are on order still. The only things that aren't purchased as of the moment are my gas block, the gas tube, and BCG.

So here goes:

TNW / Remsport Billet Matched Upper and Lower
Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit
Hogue Pistol Grip
Rock River Arms 2 Stage Trigger
Remsport Stainless Bead Blasted 14.5" Barrel 1/9 Twist
YHM Flip Up BUIS
YHM Diamond Carbine Quad Rail
YHM Single Rail Gas Block
Remsport Bolt Carrier Assembly (They make Smith Enterprises)
Remsport Chrome Bolt
YHM Muzzle Brake (I live in MA, so no Flash Hider for me)
DPMS 6 Position Collapsible Stock

All said and done, I believe the build came out to roughly $1200.

Does this sound like a nice build for a SHTF gun that will be a nice shooter at the range? I want the ability to put thousands of rounds through this without issue, and be able to depend on it for all scenarios.

If I should absolutely consider another Bolt Carrier Assembly and / or Gas Block, someone please let me know. Otherwise, does this sound like a real nice setup, and worth the price paid??

dennisuello
01-04-11, 21:20
Why are you asking if you already bought the parts?

X JBM X
01-04-11, 21:50
Well, for a couple reasons.

1) I'm still fairly new to the AR platform, and I'm curious how I did.

2) There are a couple parts still outstanding that I was looking for opinions on.

3) I'm new to this forum, not new to forums as a whole, and I'm hoping to gain some insight from M4C.

Please check arrogant comments at the door.

mattk
01-04-11, 22:18
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Food/eating-popcorn-03.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html)\r\nGoogle Login (http://helpmelogin.com/google-login/)

spamsammich
01-04-11, 22:50
So I've just recently ordered all the parts. Some of them I have already, some of them are on order still. The only things that aren't purchased as of the moment are my gas block, the gas tube, and BCG.

So here goes:

TNW / Remsport Billet Matched Upper and Lower
Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit
Hogue Pistol Grip
Rock River Arms 2 Stage Trigger
Remsport Stainless Bead Blasted 14.5" Barrel 1/9 Twist
YHM Flip Up BUIS
YHM Diamond Carbine Quad Rail
YHM Single Rail Gas Block
Remsport Bolt Carrier Assembly (They make Smith Enterprises)
Remsport Chrome Bolt
YHM Muzzle Brake (I live in MA, so no Flash Hider for me)
DPMS 6 Position Collapsible Stock

All said and done, I believe the build came out to roughly $1200.

Does this sound like a nice build for a SHTF gun that will be a nice shooter at the range? I want the ability to put thousands of rounds through this without issue, and be able to depend on it for all scenarios.

If I should absolutely consider another Bolt Carrier Assembly and / or Gas Block, someone please let me know. Otherwise, does this sound like a real nice setup, and worth the price paid??

Not in my opinion. You could go to BCM and get this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID+16+DDOX9

with a BCG and charging handle for 834 and have hands down a lighter, better rail and a known good BCG. Add a BCM lower for 360 and you're under 1200 before shipping/transfer/BUIS.

I would not stake my life on your pile of parts. I picked up a Colt 6920 for 1100 recently and I'd much rather have that than anything on your list if reliability is of any concern. Sorry to be blunt but if you want an honest opinion, that's what you're going to get from this forum.

Your list however, might make a pretty good range toy once you got it to run. Most of the recommendations you're going to get from members of this forum are going to be for proven known good quantities, guns known to run. KAC, Noveske, Colt, DD, BCM or custom uppers from places like G&R Tactical, MSTN, or Denny's tend to be high on our lists. For my money BCM and DD are some of the best bang for buck guns out there.

jklaughrey
01-04-11, 22:56
Seriously for 1200 bones you could have purchased a complete Colt/BCM/DD, or even maybe find a deal on a used Noveske or LMT. Cheaper still you could have gotten a blem BCM lower and the an upper on sale from DD or BCM and still been in at around a grand.

How did you do? You failed.

Cheers!

spamsammich
01-04-11, 23:00
Oh yeah, I forgot about LMT. A local shop has a complete LMT lower with 2 stage trigger and SOPMOD stock for $475. Deals are out there. It's a shame OP decided to buy before doing his homework.

Belmont31R
01-04-11, 23:01
Sounds like a lot of questionable parts.

RRA 2 stage triggers are junk.

I would get a forged upper and lower from a reputable company. LMT, BCM, DD complete lower.

BCM or Colt BCG.

Never heard of Remsport so I wont comment on their quality but I generally don't buy things from unknown companies. Not that they cant turn out a good product but I just don't trust unknowns.

Basically already mentioned but you can get a nice BCM gun with high quality parts for the price you listed, and not have a heap of unknown/questionable quality parts. If you ever decide to sell it for something else everyone is going to see all these sketchy brands, and pass.

strambo
01-04-11, 23:39
edit: nevermind, I see you've already ordered everything...I'd at least get a different BCG: LMT, BCM, Spikes or DD.

TehLlama
01-04-11, 23:51
I too agree with the most brutal assessments that are on here - Colt/DD/BCM/LMT/Spike's rifles can outrun that parts selection for less cash.

From here - would you like the discussion to focus on a start-over plan or prioritizing which newer parts to add to your weapon to enhance reliability (and allow you to keep your current ones as spares)?

payj
01-04-11, 23:56
First off, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, all the gentlemen here know what they are talking about. While some are very blunt, they speak the truth. I learned a lot here and based my recent build off of many many hours reading through this site and a few others. If you posted this same thing on some other sites, chances are you would get some pats on the back. It can be very misleading, especially when you are trying to find good quality parts and people are telling you, you did just that when in fact you did not. Most guys here call it for what it is, which is why I like it here the best. If you post something that is not too great people are happy to tell you. You post something great people are also happy to tell you.

With that being said, I am going to tell you that your rifle has some very mediocre parts in it. I feel bad you did not poke around here a little first before you purchased:(

After viewing your parts list it I would suggest at the very least to replace your bcg with a bcm or lmt. I would also put a stock gi trigger in the gun. And in all honesty I have never heard of Remsport, which scares me as I know most of the touted manufactures. Seeing that you used that company for most of you build doesn't help.

You could do the things I said to do, but in all honesty I would try to sell this gun and just buy a complete one from a quality manufacture. People have already stated a few.

I am sorry that you came here not hearing what you wanted, that said it is not the end of the world. Take our suggestions and in the long run you will be much happier :)

CLHC
01-05-11, 01:07
What I can glean from the Information Super Highway (if ever so accurate), Remsport Manufacturing does parts for the 1911 platform and until recently started AR parts kits and the like. Looks like they posted here once on M4C back in 2009(?) On Noveske Rifleworks' website, they're found on the Dealer List.

We all live and learn and with that in mind, Welcome aboard the M4C!

Fire
01-05-11, 01:27
I totally agree with the replies above.

YHM parts were pretty heavy last time I handled some compared to newer systems on the market.

You should of spent more time reading.

Check yourself first.

nickdrak
01-05-11, 04:11
You spent more money on items such as the "matched" billet upper & lower that will net you zero in-terms of functionality & reliabilty, and you skimped on the critical internals: the lpk, barrel of unknown quality & specs, RRA 2-stage trigger, etc. I have no issue with the YHM rail. They are budget priced but seem to hold up well.

Yep, you shoulda done more research first. No biggie! Trust me, I have blown much more than $1200 on crap I didn't need, or wasn't the best available option for the money over the past 10 years. Live & learn ;)

X JBM X
01-05-11, 05:13
Thanks for the replies folks.

I was strongly considering going with the LMT BCG, but decided on Remsport simply because the it will probably match the barrel really well, but I think my mind has been changed, and i'll go back to the LMT.

Remsport is a manufacturer up here in MA. They are a somewhat small mfg here to my knowledge, but seem to turn out some pretty high quality products. I should have explained this before.

They generally mfg parts for use under other company names. For example, the BCG that I referred to sells on Brownells under Smith Enterprises for $269. They are also much bigger in the 1911 market, and mfg frames and slides for companies like Nighthawk.

My research up here has led me to believe they make a solid, quality product.

As mentiioned though, hindsight is 20/20, and I may have just bought a Colt from the start for the money. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

11B101ABN
01-05-11, 06:24
Make all of the YHM stuff go away.

Stick to known and reputable manufacturers as well.

chadbag
01-05-11, 06:28
I would change the LPK to something like the G&R Tactical or DD or something.

I would ditch, for weight reasons, the YHM rail (relatively heavier). Troy, right there in the PRoMASS as well, makes some lighter weight rails and even lighter still are the DD.

I would get a 1/7 barrel with known good 5.56 chamber.

If you like the looks of the billet receivers (I have a few Sonju, Sun Devil, a POF, etc myself) than who am I to say anything. They are more expensive but often give a unique look which some people like.

I assume you are pinning the DPMS stock since you seem to be in the PRoMASS . I probably would have gone for a Magpul MOE or CTR stock. If for no other reason the looks ;)

chadbag
01-05-11, 06:33
Make all of the YHM stuff go away.

Stick to known and reputable manufacturers as well.

YHM stuff in general is well made, but heavier. Some people claim their rails are out of spec. In general that is not true though I don't doubt there have been some made -- every manufacturer probably has. I have never had a return on a YHM rail or anything.

I don't carry YHM any more but only because I had decided to concentrate just on top tier stuff (for other reasons like people who buy top tier stuff usually are less often a-holes etc). I personally use very little YHM stuff -- a few phantoms, a single set of QDS flip up sights, a gas block, a stripped upper. They have all worked out well so far. Some for years and many many rounds worth of use.

But their rails are darn heavy. After standing in some multi day classes slung up, I have begun to appreciate weight on the gun (or lack thereof). (My weight was not due to YHM rails)

Failure2Stop
01-05-11, 06:45
I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Let us know after you have 5,000 hard rounds through it.

Militant83
01-05-11, 13:11
Ill keep it simple like many have said above. You should have done some more research before jumping the gun and buying parts. You could have built a way better rifle for around the same price going with BCM, Spikes, Etc.

Take this as a learning experience and move on. In the end research really pays off even if it does take some time to get it all figured out.

X JBM X
01-05-11, 17:30
First off, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, all the gentlemen here know what they are talking about. While some are very blunt, they speak the truth. I learned a lot here and based my recent build off of many many hours reading through this site and a few others. If you posted this same thing on some other sites, chances are you would get some pats on the back. It can be very misleading, especially when you are trying to find good quality parts and people are telling you, you did just that when in fact you did not. Most guys here call it for what it is, which is why I like it here the best. If you post something that is not too great people are happy to tell you. You post something great people are also happy to tell you.

With that being said, I am going to tell you that your rifle has some very mediocre parts in it. I feel bad you did not poke around here a little first before you purchased:(

After viewing your parts list it I would suggest at the very least to replace your bcg with a bcm or lmt. I would also put a stock gi trigger in the gun. And in all honesty I have never heard of Remsport, which scares me as I know most of the touted manufactures. Seeing that you used that company for most of you build doesn't help.

You could do the things I said to do, but in all honesty I would try to sell this gun and just buy a complete one from a quality manufacture. People have already stated a few.

I am sorry that you came here not hearing what you wanted, that said it is not the end of the world. Take our suggestions and in the long run you will be much happier :)
I appreciate the honesty. The first thing I did today was order a BCM BCG. ;) Remsport is also local to me (somewhat - Western MA) and they have lifetime guarantees on their products. Should I have a problem with anything they make, I'm sure they will stand behind it.

I would change the LPK to something like the G&R Tactical or DD or something.

I would ditch, for weight reasons, the YHM rail (relatively heavier). Troy, right there in the PRoMASS as well, makes some lighter weight rails and even lighter still are the DD.

I would get a 1/7 barrel with known good 5.56 chamber.

If you like the looks of the billet receivers (I have a few Sonju, Sun Devil, a POF, etc myself) than who am I to say anything. They are more expensive but often give a unique look which some people like.

I assume you are pinning the DPMS stock since you seem to be in the PRoMASS . I probably would have gone for a Magpul MOE or CTR stock. If for no other reason the looks ;)
The Billet looks cool, as you stated, which is why I chose it. I wanted something different. I went 1/9 twist on the barrel because most of the shooting I'm going to do will be with 55gr, and I've read 1/9 tends to handle the lighter bullet better. The DPMS stock will be pinned...I thought about a Magpul but opted against it because I can't bring myself to drill a hole through such a nice stock. I also went with YHM parts because I've read they have good quality at an affordable price, and moreso because they're a local business and when I can find things like that from a local company, I try to do my best to support them.

Let us know after you have 5,000 hard rounds through it.
I will definitely report back afterward.

chadbag
01-05-11, 17:37
I also went with YHM parts because I've read they have good quality at an affordable price, and moreso because they're a local business and when I can find things like that from a local company, I try to do my best to support them.

Troy is in the same area more or less as YHM, both PRoMASS, and Grant at G&R Tactical is having a sale on some Troy TRX Extreme 9" & 11" (if he has any left) at extremely competitive prices. See his link under the DEALERS section here on M4C.

YHM rails are heavy and that gets old real fast.

WRT 1/7 vs 1/9 . 1/7 shoots 55gr just fine.

dieselnut
01-05-11, 18:03
Man, you guys are harsh. But honesty is highly valued, at least in my book. :)

I sure am glad I did some research before I spent my money. I'd probably cry if these are the replies I got.

GermanSynergy
01-05-11, 18:24
OP,
This build will probably be seen by you in a year from now as a "WTF was I thinking" moment, probably after your first carbine class with it.

Quiet-Matt
01-05-11, 19:18
The DPMS stock will be pinned...I thought about a Magpul but opted against it because I can't bring myself to drill a hole through such a nice stock.

Heck at least get the stock you want, pinned or not. My stocks stay in 2nd position, they might as well be pinned. Just pin it under the lever or friction lock and you wont even see it.

X JBM X
01-05-11, 19:40
I ordered a second DPMS stock (I already had one on my other AR) because I like this stock anyway.

11B101ABN
01-06-11, 05:37
YHM stuff in general is well made, but heavier. Some people claim their rails are out of spec. In general that is not true though I don't doubt there have been some made -- every manufacturer probably has. I have never had a return on a YHM rail or anything.

I don't carry YHM any more but only because I had decided to concentrate just on top tier stuff (for other reasons like people who buy top tier stuff usually are less often a-holes etc). I personally use very little YHM stuff -- a few phantoms, a single set of QDS flip up sights, a gas block, a stripped upper. They have all worked out well so far. Some for years and many many rounds worth of use.

But their rails are darn heavy. After standing in some multi day classes slung up, I have begun to appreciate weight on the gun (or lack thereof). (My weight was not due to YHM rails)

Agreed.

I was a bit vague, to be honest, and a bit unfair as well.

The 5C2 FH is a great piece and I use one. So I should have qualified my statement.