PDA

View Full Version : What Can would you get?

Pappabear
01-04-11, 21:28
I plan on running this can on two guns.

A 11.5 or 12.5 carbine with Noveske upper that I am cutting down
Colt 6940 stock 16 inch barrel.

I dont care about the ultra small surefire. I am thinking the usual suspects, KAC, Surefire , AAC.

I am getting my NFA trust back this week. Which one would you get and why? I have been reading the current thread, however I still need more knowledge about this product line.

Do you expect any new launches at Shot?

Not LEO, because I "can".

Fireman1291
01-05-11, 11:14
For SBR use, you can't beat the M4-2000 with a brake mount in terms of performance/price/durability.

Its hearing safe on a 10.5" and the AAC brake has two flat brake surfaces to take the abuse of the unburnt powder and heat and act as sacraficial baffles so your blast baffle doesnt prematurely errode.:big_boss:

Contact Korey @ SilentShooters.com, he might have one in stock. (No affiliation other than hes my dealer, hes honest as a preist and has great prices)

Iraqgunz
01-05-11, 12:32
I was also going to cut down a Noveske barrel as well for a project and many recommended not doing so. I recommend not doing it as well.

Pappabear
01-05-11, 13:46
IraqGunz,

Is it b/c the C Line is too thick and too tuff to cut? Any issue with just removing the pinned vortex and putting on an adapter. I could just run the can on the 14.5. The lower will be SBR'ed.

glocktogo
01-05-11, 13:55
The Surefire, then the M4-2000 would be my recommendation.

J Krammes
01-05-11, 15:06
I was also going to cut down a Noveske barrel as well for a project and many recommended not doing so. I recommend not doing it as well.

I agree with this too. Cutting a barrel often leads to cycling issues. Buy the specific length you want.

For a suppressor, I went with the AAC M4-2000. Because of the mounting choices (Breakout for SBR). It goes on a 10.5" and an 18" AR.

http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/874310204_MvUaw-M-1.jpg

Jk

m249saw
01-05-11, 18:47
For SBR use, you can't beat the M4-2000 with a brake mount in terms of performance/price/durability.

Its hearing safe on a 10.5" and the AAC brake has two flat brake surfaces to take the abuse of the unburnt powder and heat and act as sacraficial baffles so your blast baffle doesnt prematurely errode.:big_boss:

Contact Korey @ SilentShooters.com, he might have one in stock. (No affiliation other than hes my dealer, hes honest as a preist and has great prices)

Unless you are making a Mk18ModO. Just put down a deposit today on a KAC NT4-QDSS.

Not the lightest or the most quiet, but it can take a beating and it the best looking IMO.

Iraqgunz
01-05-11, 21:23
I went with a BCM 11.5" and it has run flawlessly. I will re-barrel it for you for free if you want it done soon.

Pappabear
01-06-11, 17:06
I went with a BCM 11.5" and it has run flawlessly. I will re-barrel it for you for free if you want it done soon.

I was thinking a BCM 11.5 actually. I have spare MOA handguard, spare CH and BCG, so I could get out real cheap. What does the re barrel entail? Is this for after you shoot it out, or an enhancement.

I was thinking about an East Valley shoot Sunday. PM me if you are interested in a desert run. I GOT STEEL:D

Iraqgunz
01-06-11, 18:11
It's fairly easy. Remove old barrel, install new barrel onto upper. I have all the tools and stuff as well as gages.

Sunday may work. Let me contact markm also.

I was thinking a BCM 11.5 actually. I have spare MOA handguard, spare CH and BCG, so I could get out real cheap. What does the re barrel entail? Is this for after you shoot it out, or an enhancement.

I was thinking about an East Valley shoot Sunday. PM me if you are interested in a desert run. I GOT STEEL:D

Pappabear
01-06-11, 22:51
It's fairly easy. Remove old barrel, install new barrel onto upper. I have all the tools and stuff as well as gages.

Sunday may work. Let me contact markm also.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Pappabear
01-07-11, 15:43

IG, which 11.5 did you get? I saw where Bravo has a LW, a standard and some Premium 11.5 barrel assemblies Any preference? I will absolutly take you up on your offer.

Pappabear

Iraqgunz
01-07-11, 15:48
I went with the standard profile/configuration 11.5". Yesterday I took my B-i-L shooting behind Estrella Foothills and we were hitting a steel 10"x14" plate at 400 yards with 55gr. steel case TAP ammo.

It has proven to be more than accurate and reliable.

IG, which 11.5 did you get? I saw where Bravo has a LW, a standard and some Premium 11.5 barrel assemblies Any preference? I will absolutly take you up on your offer.

Pappabear

Pappabear
01-07-11, 21:28
I'm leaning toward the AAC m4-2000 for my AR. I plan on getting a CAN for my .45 as well. I already bought a threaded barrel for my HK45. Popped that on today and plan to give it a run this sunday (minus the needed 45 can).

Any preference for .45 CAN. Is AAC's .45 good?

TurretGunner
01-08-11, 09:12
as soon as the new AAC 762SDN-6 comes out im placing an order.

A can handles up to .300 projos, is the same size as most full size 5.56 cans, and can use mounts with different pitch threads for differnt rifles. 1 can for 5.56, 5.45 , .308. All for a pretty good price and good customer support.

J Krammes
01-08-11, 09:57
Any preference for .45 CAN. Is AAC's .45 good?

AAC is absolutely good. The TiRant is supposed to be amazing. But my choice for a .45 can is the Silencer Co Osprey. I like the looks, the length, and that the "tube" is not the registered part. If you have a baffle strike or some type of catastrophic failure, they can replace the whole front end with no tax stamp. You can also get 9mm, and .40 pistons for the .45 version.

Jk

Pappabear
01-08-11, 16:14
Had several people recommend the TriRant. May just keep it iwith AAC and do the m4-2000 and TriRant. I held the TriRant and it felt quite light. I really don't expect heavy use from the .45 can, however I still want one.

JasonM
01-10-11, 13:50
Had several people recommend the TriRant. May just keep it iwith AAC and do the m4-2000 and TriRant. I held the TriRant and it felt quite light. I really don't expect heavy use from the .45 can, however I still want one.

We also sell pistons for the Ti-RANT 45 so you can use it on 40 and 9mm hosts as well.

Voodoochild
01-10-11, 13:56
Jason what are the chances of AAC designing and making more 5.45 cans for the AK crowd?

JasonM
01-10-11, 14:13
Jason what are the chances of AAC designing and making more 5.45 cans for the AK crowd?

Voodoo, honestly, i would say probably zero as far as a dedicated 5.45 can. I say this because the size of the can would be the same as a 5.56 can, so the only change would be shrinking the bore a few thousandths, or up to a hundreth. this would really have a negligible effect on sound, but it would make baffle strikes more likely as well as prevent cross-caliber use on a 5.56 weapon.

Your best bet is to run one of our 5.56 cans, the M4-2000 being the best choice.

Pappabear
01-10-11, 14:20
We also sell pistons for the Ti-RANT 45 so you can use it on 40 and 9mm hosts as well.

Nice to know, I bought the exta piston for the diiferent thread mounts for 45. I did not know it could run 40 or 9. How is the sound reduction? How much do you lose?

pb

JasonM
01-10-11, 14:23
Nice to know, I bought the exta piston for the diiferent thread mounts for 45. I did not know it could run 40 or 9. How is the sound reduction? How much do you lose?

pb

You loose about 3-4 dB and the FRP is a little higher, but for the money versus buying another can, it's pretty damn good. :)

nickhaaa
01-11-11, 23:49

jason, would we just order the evo9 piston for 9mm to use in the TiRant 45? or does that not work and require a unique piston for the TiRant model? i was under the impression that no piston was available yet, but i haven't been keeping up. thanks.

JasonM
01-12-11, 08:07
jason, would we just order the evo9 piston for 9mm to use in the TiRant 45? or does that not work and require a unique piston for the TiRant model? i was under the impression that no piston was available yet, but i haven't been keeping up. thanks.

Nick-
The Ti-RANT 45 has it's own pistons, they are not on the web site right now. You would have to call and order them.
They are Ti-RANT 45 pistons threaded for .40 and 9mm hosts.

decodeddiesel
01-12-11, 10:22
Unless you are making a Mk18ModO. Just put down a deposit today on a KAC NT4-QDSS.

Not the lightest or the most quiet, but it can take a beating and it the best looking IMO.

I too am looking to get a 5.56 can sometime this year, and I am also on the fence between an NT4 and an M42K.

I guess the one thing I have going for me is that I used the NT4 a lot on my M4 while in the Army. Knowing the can and it's strengths and weaknesses, etc (and owning a MK18 clone) it is hard to go with anything else.

The awesome thing about the NT4 is that it is the "brick shit house" of 5.56 cans. You want a can with proven battle field reliability then this is your can. It will take whatever abuse you throw at it and keep on going. The bore is larger so as to avoid baffle strikes better, it has a noticeably more "deep" report to it (less A zone frequencies), and lets face it...it is just awesome looking, especially in the KAC Taupe color.

What sucks about the NT4 is first of all it is a solid $300-$500 more than the M42K and I just don't think it is really worth the extra $$...sorry KAC. It weighs a good deal more (6 or 8 oz, can't remember) than the M42K, and to be honest the attachment method is VERY dated compared to the AAC QD stuff.

Another area to consider is the muzzle devices for each of these cans. The brakes/flashhiders/brakeout muzzle devices AAC offers are very nice pieces and relatively inexpensive compared to the KAC muzzle devices (specifically the 3T), however the PWS NT4 mount seems to be filling a nice stopgap and I would be tickled if Battlecomp would make an NT4 mount (might happen, who knows).

JasonM
01-12-11, 11:06
I too am looking to get a 5.56 can sometime this year, and I am also on the fence between an NT4 and an M42K.

I guess the one thing I have going for me is that I used the NT4 a lot on my M4 while in the Army. Knowing the can and it's strengths and weaknesses, etc (and owning a MK18 clone) it is hard to go with anything else.

The awesome thing about the NT4 is that it is the "brick shit house" of 5.56 cans. You want a can with proven battle field reliability then this is your can. It will take whatever abuse you throw at it and keep on going. The bore is larger so as to avoid baffle strikes better, it has a noticeably more "deep" report to it (less A zone frequencies), and lets face it...it is just awesome looking, especially in the KAC Taupe color.

What sucks about the NT4 is first of all it is a solid $300-$500 more than the M42K and I just don't think it is really worth the extra $$...sorry KAC. It weighs a good deal more (6 or 8 oz, can't remember) than the M42K, and to be honest the attachment method is VERY dated compared to the AAC QD stuff.

Another area to consider is the muzzle devices for each of these cans. The brakes/flashhiders/brakeout muzzle devices AAC offers are very nice pieces and relatively inexpensive compared to the KAC muzzle devices (specifically the 3T), however the PWS NT4 mount seems to be filling a nice stopgap and I would be tickled if Battlecomp would make an NT4 mount (might happen, who knows).

Both are nice cans and the NT-4 is high on my list of other manufacturer's cans that i would get.

Next to the M4-2000, it's probably the strongest/toughest can available. And it does look bad ass.

Like you said though, it is 30-40% more expensive, louder, heavier, has less mount options.

I will say that you shouldn't be disappointed in the NT-4 if you go that way. Good stuff like everything from KAC.

Pappabear
01-12-11, 18:47
What muzzle device do you guys use or recommend for the m4-2000. Again, I need one for a 11.5 and one for probably a 16inch. Maybe a 14.5 if I can get that pinned vortex off and AAC adapter on.

Hump66
01-13-11, 09:12
What muzzle device do you guys use or recommend for the m4-2000. Again, I need one for a 11.5 and one for probably a 16inch. Maybe a 14.5 if I can get that pinned vortex off and AAC adapter on.

I'm using the AAC Blackout 51T Muzzle Brake on my 11.5", and I'm planning on pinning an AAC Blackout 51T Flash Hider on my 14.5".

trukreltrog
01-13-11, 09:36
I say get the new 762-SDN-6. Supposed to work great on .556 SBR's. I'm more into multi-purpose anymore. If you ever decide to do a .308 down the road, your covered. It's a lot cheaper to go the multi-purpose route,,, :)

I mean I love my M4-2000 and all. But it wouldn't work on my larger calibers, I had to buy a 30 cal. can too,,, :no:

JasonM
01-13-11, 10:10
I say get the new 762-SDN-6. Supposed to work great on .556 SBR's. I'm more into multi-purpose anymore. If you ever decide to do a .308 down the road, your covered. It's a lot cheaper to go the multi-purpose route,,, :)

I mean I love my M4-2000 and all. But it wouldn't work on my larger calibers, I had to buy a 30 cal. can too,,, :no:

The 762-SDN-6 is a good multi-cal choice... on a 5.56 gun, it's about 3-4 dB louder than an M4-2000. It's an inch longer and 2.5 ounces heavier. It'll be released at SHOT. Same price as the M4-2000.

J Krammes
01-13-11, 14:16

I have the Breakout on my 10.5" AR. It does what it is suposed to do. I have a Break on order for my 18" gun. The 7.62 SDN will also use these same mounts. I hope to be able to order an SDN this year to try it out...

Jk

Pappabear
01-13-11, 17:21
I dont mind buying a 30 cal for a 30 cal gun, and then maybe running it on a 5.56 if the mounts and everything is in order. But I dont think buying a 30 cal can for a 5.56 is the way to go. Just my approach.

Anybody run the pure AAC Brake, its my understanding that the "Brake" , not Brakeout increases the life of the suppressor. Does the Brakeout give this added benefit. The Brakeout is just a Brake, no "OUT". Anything better about the Brakeout than the Brake that I am missing. Other than 50 bucks more.

PB

J Krammes
01-13-11, 17:25
I don't have my Break to compare yet, but I have somewhere around 500 rounds through my m4-2000 with the Breakout on a 10.5" AR. I know that is not to much, but the blast baffle just looks dirty. The Breakout it self has a little over 1000 rounds on it and it is quite eroded. It handles recoil quite nice too.

Jk

Pappabear
01-13-11, 17:32
I don't have my Break to compare yet, but I have somewhere around 500 rounds through my m4-2000 with the Breakout on a 10.5" AR. I know that is not to much, but the blast baffle just looks dirty. The Breakout it self has a little over 1000 rounds on it and it is quite eroded. It handles recoil quite nice too.

Jk

So your point is the Brakeout is taking the Brunt of the load- correct? Thanks for the feedback.

JasonM
01-14-11, 10:15
I dont mind buying a 30 cal for a 30 cal gun, and then maybe running it on a 5.56 if the mounts and everything is in order. But I dont think buying a 30 cal can for a 5.56 is the way to go. Just my approach.

Anybody run the pure AAC Brake, its my understanding that the "Brake" , not Brakeout increases the life of the suppressor. Does the Brakeout give this added benefit. The Brakeout is just a Brake, no "OUT". Anything better about the Brakeout than the Brake that I am missing. Other than 50 bucks more.

PB

I agree with your caliber feelings...

OK, sounds like a little confusion on the muzzle device options.

There is debate about how much "life" a muzzle break mount will add to your can, but what isn't in doubt is how hard SBR 556 guns are on a can's guts. So, that said, people that want to run suppressed most of the time, opt for some version of a brake. The surfaces in a brake can act as "pre-blast baffles" and catch a good bit of gas and unburnt powder before it hits your blast baffle.

So, from AAC your options are:

BLACKOUT™ Flash Hider - the most effective flash hider (eliminator) available. No "brake" or compensating built in. This will eliminate flash even on a 10" gun at night.

BLACKOUT™ Muzzle Brake - a double chamber muzzle brake that almost eliminates recoil. It has a good amount of flash on short barrels, as well as blast out the sides. because of this, it's perceived as much louder to the shooter than the flash hider. It does have two "brake surfaces" that absorb some of the abuse before the gas/powder gets to the guts of your can.

BRAKEOUT™ Compensator - basically it combines the above two devices- a single chamber brake combined with a short flash-hider portion. It isn't as good at reducing recoil as the full brake, and has more flash than the BLACKOUT hider, but it sits pretty much in between them in performance. It has a decent amount of side blast, and gives one "brake surface" that the gas/powder hits before t gets into the can.

That all said, you can run a flash hider with your can on a 10" gun and it'll last a long long time. But some people like a little extra insurance which I understand.

BAC
01-14-11, 10:45
Has anyone ever measured how much extra insurance a brake gives over a flash hider? I know a few folks have described muzzle brake + can combos to be a little quieter (subjective), but I'm curious if any data exists that compares brake + can and flash hider + can.

-B

JasonM
01-14-11, 10:52
Has anyone ever measured how much extra insurance a brake gives over a flash hider? I know a few folks have described muzzle brake + can combos to be a little quieter (subjective), but I'm curious if any data exists that compares brake + can and flash hider + can.

-B

No on the definite measurement of life... these cans will go 20,000 rounds+ with a flash hider mount, so the increase with a brake has not been measured. Only subjectively in short-term tests (3000-5000 rounds), the blast baffles show less erosion on SBRs with brakes.

And measured by a meter, the muzzle device makes absolutely no difference in sound.

BAC
01-14-11, 11:27
Thanks for clarification; I sense a Blackout pinging in my future. :D

-B

J Krammes
01-14-11, 15:53
So your point is the Brakeout is taking the Brunt of the load- correct? Thanks for the feedback.

I think so. At least on an SBR. On barrels over 12" it probably really doesn't matter. Jason would know better. Here is a pic of my Breakout now, with ~1100 rounds through it.

http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/1078089580_Zbkgz-M.jpg

M4-2000 with ~ 400 to 500 rounds through it.

http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/1078089419_teG5S-M-1.jpg

I really don't notice the blast at all with the Breakout on my 10.5" AR. Some ammo has flash out the sides in low light. Here is a video of me shooting my SBR with the Breakout. It is bright out, but I am in the shade and you can't see any flash with the Breakout. I am shooting XM193.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtySWBoolFI

I love this suppressor. Sounds great on an SBR. I can't wait to hear it on my 18" AR...

Jk