PDA

View Full Version : FN Herstal FNS-9

wobby
01-05-11, 04:05
Any thoughts on this? I'm kinda excited.

Belgium-based FN Herstal has recently announced the launch of its newly designed 9mm FNS™-9 pistol on the market.

The FNS™-9 pistol has been developed around a pre-loaded striker mechanism, which provides a short and light trigger pull identical to all shots for fast and accurate shooting. Additionally, the polymer frame is designed with a low bore axis for reduced felt recoil and enhanced control.

Each FNS™-9 pistol features an optional manual safety, trigger safety, firing pin safety and a drop safety, ensuring maximized security.

Additionally, the pistol comes standard with a number of ergonomic features: ultra no-slip checkered grips for an improved grip, front serrations for press check and two interchangeable backstrap inserts for a customized fit. All operating controls are fully ambidextrous.

The FNS™-9 pistol will be on display at EUROSATORY in Paris from 14 through to 18 June 2010 (Belgian Pavilion, Hall 6, Stand No. F201).

http://www.fnherstal.com/typo3temp/pics/430390220c.png

F-Trooper05
01-05-11, 05:17
Looks interesting. The bore axis doesn't look much lower than the FNP/FNX, but it's hard to tell from a press photo. What's the general consensus regarding FN's service pistols on this board? I've heard some great things, but I've also heard some less than stellar things. Is there a reason FN pistols haven't been adopted by many LEA's?

Cazwell
01-05-11, 09:48
Looks interesting. The bore axis doesn't look much lower than the FNP/FNX, but it's hard to tell from a press photo.

I thought the same thing. I remember reading that the FNX had a lower bore axis than the FNP, but I couldn't really notice and appreciable difference.

What's the general consensus regarding FN's service pistols on this board? I've heard some great things, but I've also heard some less than stellar things. Is there a reason FN pistols haven't been adopted by many LEA's?

Most of the threads I've searched and read here seem pretty positive. I look forward to the experienced members weighing in. Guys?

C4IGrant
01-05-11, 09:54
To my knowledge, this gun won't be available till 2012 and will be an LE ONLY gun (no commercial sales). I imagine this will change though.

C4

dvdlpzus
01-05-11, 11:29
To my knowledge, this gun won't be available till 2012 and will be an LE ONLY gun (no commercial sales). I imagine this will change though.

C4

That's a bummer!

Miami_JBT
01-05-11, 11:54
I think that it will hit the civilian market ASAP. There is no reason why it wouldn't sell.

MadcapMagician
01-05-11, 13:41
I predict this will do better than the DA/SA variants. I'd be half interested in checking one out as I like the FNX, but don't like the DA/SA.

lil'Zeus
01-05-11, 15:23
I'd sure like to shoot one once they hit the market. I love the way the FNP/FNX shoot, but agree that I'm not a hammer gun type of guy.

Could be interesting!

MTechnik
01-05-11, 15:26
I have an FNP that I like. I'd give this a try or three.

wobby
01-05-11, 21:06
I'm sure FN Herstal would abstain from saying that it'll be released on the civilian market so they won't lose sales on the FNP/FNX pistols. Saying it'll be released in a year from now may cause people to hold off on the FNP/FNX for a year while they wait for the FNS.

Either way I'm gonna wait :p

kmrtnsn
01-05-11, 22:50
I'm anxious to try the trigger. It could be interesting to see if it picks up any LE contracts.

Sox
01-06-11, 19:27
It sure seems like a slow release. FN seems to be really dragging their feet. The past 2 years on of their reps used to respond regularly over on FNforum and the subcompact FNP's were to have already been released. There was another gent who saw a FNP .45 compact prototype. Lastly, there was a revealing post by a company insider (who shall go nameless) that accidently released a bit too much info and the thread was quickly rescinded. He stated they were bring a singlestack striker 9mm the size of the Taurus slim out, but didn't give a date.

PlatoCATM
01-06-11, 22:27
I really want this to hit the market to see where it fits between the glock and m&p. I had hoped for an exposed hammer like an hk but I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. I hope their hesitance in bringing it to market is to wring out any issues beforehand. I would have bought this over the gen3 G17 today were it available.

wobby
01-06-11, 22:42
I hope their hesitance in bringing it to market is to wring out any issues beforehand. I would have bought this over the gen3 G17 today were it available.

i was looking for info on this FNS-9 on the FN forums and someone made a pretty good point regarding this. to summarize, with the market pretty much sold on glocks and to an extent the m&p, if FN were to release a flawed product, it would be a huge detriment to its sales potential. We can look to the Sig P250 as an example. ;)

gbackus
01-06-11, 22:52
Just out of curiosity, but are there currently any agencies actually issuing FNPs/FNXs right now?

FChen17213
01-06-11, 23:03
I seriously doubt FN will really make this an LEO item only. If they do, that'll be a huge mistake and they lose TONS of civilian sales. The way I see it, this would be FN's effort to grab some market share from Glock and Smith-Wesson M&P. If the gun does catch on, millions of civilians will flock to buy these as well. I really hope FN doesn't wait until 2012 to release this. Interestingly enough, I'm also wondering when the HK P40 (striker fired P30) will be released. I would love to see how the FNS and P40 will stack up to Glocks and M&Ps.

Call me crazy, but I do prefer the lower priced Glock and M&P to the HK P30 and other higher end guns like the Sig P226/P228. I own the Sig and HK and have shot them pretty extensively so I'm not one of those jealous guys who just never used the higher end guns either. If HK releases the P40 and if FN comes out with the FNS, I'd be sure to get one to see how I like it.

WTDeBerry
01-06-11, 23:58
Maybe inappropriate, but I am a Glock guy, and to me, that thing is BEAUTIFUL!! It's a sexy-fied Glock 19. I want it. Its is now my desktop background. I admit, I get overexcited about simple things. I apologize. But damn. I want it.

Magic_Salad0892
01-07-11, 07:26
FN making this an LEO only gun is a huge mistake. I'm sure it would steal some market from the M&P. The Glock too, though I imagine not as much.

Though I'd probably sell a testicle for a H&K P40. I could see myself making it my primary pistol if they can give it a 4.5'' barrel, and I'd throw a lung on e-bay if it had a 17 round 9x19mm magazine, and a dual captioned recoil spring.

variablebinary
01-09-11, 03:23
It looks tallish for a striker pistol.

Also, I like the FNX safety, and would like to see it moved over to the FNX

The proof is obviously in the shooting, but I'm not seeing a real big incentive to convert from an M&P or Glock

Velcro
01-09-11, 03:59
FN put there Logo on a S&W!!!!

Velcro

Sub MOA
01-09-11, 07:10

Velcro
!!!! I dont even know if i want/need to reply. As far as what? Looks, ergonomics, recoil, reliability accuracy. (Wow, i just went from least to most important without realizing:laugh:) Or are you suggesting, they just STRAIGHT stole the whole product/weapon. Just curious

Velcro
01-09-11, 07:20
what, on that pistol, does not resemble the S&W...even down to that POS trigger...from "another" S&W...

...yeah, NO ONE copies designs from each other.
:big_boss:

Velcro

Sub MOA
01-09-11, 07:33
Not sure if u are trying to be sarcastic. Didnt understand your reply, not sure of what you are trying to say. Im not saying you are wrong as MOST weapon designs are just that; a copy of another platform with remakes on the companies part. I was just asking what u meant as u said they slapped their logo on another companies weapon, which implies the WHOLE weapon is the exact same thing without bothering to make it their own. I was asking if thats what you meant

wobby
01-10-11, 13:19
If anything, the FNS aesthetics is a derivative of the FN Forty-Nine which was in production in 2000; five years before the M&P. So if anything the M&P copied FN. :p

http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/49/49.gif
FN Forty Nine

http://www.fnherstal.com/typo3temp/pics/c720182d15.png
FNS-9

MTechnik
01-10-11, 14:00
If anything, the FNS aesthetics is a derivative of the FN Forty-Nine which was in production in 2000; five years before the M&P. So if anything the M&P copied FN. :p

http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/49/49.gif
FN Forty Nine

http://www.fnherstal.com/typo3temp/pics/c720182d15.png
FNS-9

Wow. Good point. I lined up the 49 and the M&P... since they overlayed so well, (and since the 49 was already transparent) I change the 49 to a greenish color.

http://i.imgur.com/SkeOC.png

ChicagoTex
01-10-11, 17:01
Ditch the manual safety and we'll talk.

wobby
01-10-11, 17:04
Ditch the manual safety and we'll talk.

i believe they said it was optional. ;)

ChicagoTex
01-10-11, 17:09
i believe they said it was optional.

bitchen' :D

TomF
05-19-11, 22:38
We spoke to FN at length about these pistols this week. They are attempting to market it as a world-wide pistol. With a number of military and LE customers requiring a manual safety, it is completely understandable from a marketing standpoint.

The safety was large enough to use easily, and seemed small enough to stay out of the way for people like myself who do not prefer a manual safety on a striker fired pistol.

The bore axis is actually quite low - very Glock like.

Grip size is about the same as a G17, possibly a bit longer. It is right in the running as far as grip length compared to a G17 and M&P9 full size.

The trigger feels more like a Glock than an M&P, with a reset that is right in-between. It's more tactile than the M&P, but a bit less than a Glock. The reset on the particular pistol I held was a bit sluggish, almost like there was some parts-drag inside the mechanism. That's only a sample of one, and may just need a bit of break in. Could just be a fluke, too.

It felt good in the hand and kept many features/feel of the FNP and FNX, each of which are reliable pistols.

I should have a chance to shoot one next week and may have more thoughts then.

From what I've seen/heard, is it a Glock killer? No, but then again, nothing else has been either. It's another striker fired pistol that, if reliable, will be another viable option in the marketplace.

I'm a Glock fan through and through. Availability of guns, parts, and mags will probably always be better from Glock. The phrase "Just as good, usually isn't" might apply here. I won't be selling my Glocks to switch to this FN pistol, but FNH has been very aggressive in producing good firearms across all markets (fighting rifles, bolt rifles, shotguns, and pistols), and they appear to be listening to what the market(MIL, LE, and CIV) wants. Given their track record, this should be a good pistol.

DeusExMachina
05-19-11, 23:31
S&W tried their hand (a couple times) at a Glock-killer, looks like FN's giving a crack at it.

Who can reinvent the wheel better than the wheel...I hate when companies do that because there's no innovation. :sad:

TomF
05-19-11, 23:40
Who can reinvent the wheel better than the wheel...I hate when companies do that because there's no innovation. :sad:

As someone in this industry who has seen our designs.......'borrowed'........often, I can relate.

That said, there are modifications with both the M&P and the FNH pistols. Smith created the best interchangeable back-strap system for its time and set the industry back on its heels to catch up to compete. This feature alone is a major factor in how successful the M&P has been. The M&P trigger also operates quite differently than a Glock, which can be good or bad depending on your preference.

The FNS is somewhat the same. Their safety is different than the M&P's 1911-like safety, and is well done IMO. The trigger is right in between the two, which again could be good or bad depending on your preference. The safety will open them up to certain customers that will not buy Glocks.

They may be minor changes, but they were both changes Glock has refused to make for years. We can't blame Glock, any company that is selling every item they make as fast as they can make them is doing something right.

Glock is my preference, but if the FNH has a feature available that Glock doesn't, it may be a good choice.

DeusExMachina
05-19-11, 23:49
I've been through them all, and settled on being a Glock person.

It just seems like companies are going for two things:

1) The most attractive "pocket pistol"
2) The Glock for people who refuse to buy Glocks because they like to be different.

I think FN could focus on making a decent SA/DA auto before attempting to cop the striker(Glock) market. The FNP-9 I had was all kinds of bad, and didn't have functional problems either.

There's a market for them...I mean, why else would Sig be in business? :D

You are dead on about the M&P, though. I wasn't being fair. Their ergonomics are truly something else.

TomF
05-19-11, 23:55
I think FN could focus on making a decent SA/DA auto before attempting to cop the striker(Glock) market. The FNP-9 I had was all kinds of bad, and didn't have functional problems either.

I think they've done it pretty well with the FNX. The FNX safety hits my strong side thumb in a funny way (HK's do it too), but other than that I really like that pistol. I could shift my grip around to get used to it, but with so much time on a Glock and no desire to change, it's not something I'll pursue.

The FNX covers both the SA/DA and cocked and locked market, and IMO is just as good if not better than the P30S, if for nothing else it has a traditional magazine release. Personal preferences, again. Both of those are good pistols.

We'll see how the market reacts and how well FNH does with this new gun. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

DeusExMachina
05-20-11, 00:04
I haven't checked out the FNX. I will if I get the chance.

I guess we'll see how the FNS does, hope I get a chance to shoot it.

Sensei
05-20-11, 00:10
Tom, I hope that FN puts some hard work into getting the trigger right on the first pass. The M&P's biggest flaw is the gritty, heavy, and long trigger that lacks a tactical reset. Even Glock took a small but noticable step backward with its heavier Gen 4 trigger. Granted, the APEX DCAEK and RAM fix the M&P issues, but the next generation of striker fired pistols should have a crisp 5lb trigger with little uptake when it leaves the factory. Five pounds is reasonable if the pistol will have a thumb safety (and many of us feel safe without the safety). Manufacturers finally solved the ergonomics puzzle, now it's time to improve the trigger.

tdoom15
05-20-11, 00:57
I think they've done it pretty well with the FNX. The FNX safety hits my strong side thumb in a funny way (HK's do it too), but other than that I really like that pistol. I could shift my grip around to get used to it, but with so much time on a Glock and no desire to change, it's not something I'll pursue.

The FNX covers both the SA/DA and cocked and locked market, and IMO is just as good if not better than the P30S, if for nothing else it has a traditional magazine release. Personal preferences, again. Both of those are good pistols.

We'll see how the market reacts and how well FNH does with this new gun. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Exactly my sentiments on the FNX. The safety does push my strong side thumb down just a TAD lower than I would naturally grip it (although nothing that I can't live with and be just as good with), but I feel like the safety on the FNS would completely solve this problem.

After being fully broken in, the FNX's trigger in both DA/SA is very good IMO. With over 1500 rounds through it so far, I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Very ergonomic w/ great texturing, 100% reliable so far, very accurate, nice big sights with rear sight serrations, 3 17rd mags with good lubricity, fully ambidextrous, etc...you get a lot of features.

I think FN needs to be a little more aggressive in their marketing to really get their products noticed among the average firearm enthusiast.

Littlelebowski
05-20-11, 06:01
Disagree completely about trigger pull weight. Trigger pull feel is important[/I] though. This is not a 1911 forum where people go on and on about the "perfect" trigger.

Tom, I hope that FN puts some hard work into getting the trigger right on the first pass. The M&P's biggest flaw is the gritty, heavy, and long trigger that lacks a tactical reset. Even Glock took a small but noticable step backward with its heavier Gen 4 trigger. Granted, the APEX DCAEK and RAM fix the M&P issues, but the next generation of striker fired pistols should have a crisp 5lb trigger with little uptake when it leaves the factory. Five pounds is reasonable if the pistol will have a thumb safety (and many of us feel safe without the safety). Manufacturers finally solved the ergonomics puzzle, now it's time to improve the trigger.

TAP
05-20-11, 07:07
I put 10 rounds through a prototype FNS-9 back in March. The trigger was very good. Nice break with an excellent reset which was short and had the tactile feel similar to a glock. I did not like the ergos of the grip and the texture was weird too. It was very accurate at 20 yards. It looks very similar to a cross between and M&P and Sig. I was told this will likely be manuf. in the US to compete with Govt./State contracts and Buy American clause.

Sensei
05-20-11, 07:25
Disagree completely about trigger pull weight. Trigger pull feel is important[/I] though. This is not a 1911 forum where people go on and on about the "perfect" trigger.

Nobody expects "perfect" but there is a popular trend on this forum toward aftermarket modifications (APEX for the M&P and OEM - connectors in Glock) to improve the trigger in the striker fired platforms. Trigger weight is only about 1/3 of the issue. The long(ish)/gritty uptake and lack of a tactical reset are equally important. Another issue is the lack of consistancy in the M&P factory trigger between pistols, although things do normalize after about 1000 rounds. There is a market for a striker fired pistol with a 1911 trigger since many of us used this platform before polymer became so popular. I just hope that FN can get it done in the factory.

Nephrology
05-20-11, 12:20
Nobody expects "perfect" but there is a popular trend on this forum toward aftermarket modifications (APEX for the M&P and OEM - connectors in Glock) to improve the trigger in the striker fired platforms. Trigger weight is only about 1/3 of the issue. The long(ish)/gritty uptake and lack of a tactical reset are equally important. Another issue is the lack of consistancy in the M&P factory trigger between pistols, although things do normalize after about 1000 rounds. There is a market for a striker fired pistol with a 1911 trigger since many of us used this platform before polymer became so popular. I just hope that FN can get it done in the factory.

I can't comment on the M&P series triggers (I have tried a few out, was casually unimpressed but can't say more than that) but the Glock triggers do not really require any modification out of the box IMO. I have tried all manner of combinations - "-" connector with the NY1 spring (it was interesting but not an improvement), the "-" connector by itself (too light, made the break very mushy), aftermarket trigger modifications (Ghost Rocket was interesting, lack of overtravel a bonus but otherwise unimpressive).

Frankly what the Glock trigger has going for it is the rather mild take-up and very tactile, short reset. The "improvements" that people make with the "-" connector and what not do not significantly change the key component to the success of its trigger. I think they set the bar high for out of the box triggers.

mkmckinley
05-20-11, 13:42
FN is an awesome company and I really hope they get this right. I would love to see a reliable, tightly fitted striker fired pistol with a great trigger. Bonus if it takes sights made for an existing design. If FN can pull it off I'll buy 2. It would also be intereasting to see if a safety in the form of the p30 style decocker would work as sort of a manual safety on a striker fired gun.

Sensei
05-20-11, 16:32
Between the Glock and M&P, I'd say that the Glock has a more reasonable factory trigger (Gen 3 better than Gen 4) that does not require significant modifications. Some of us put "-" connectors in the Gen 4 guns as an attempt to replicate that Gen 3 pull feel, but this is not a must have and some feel the less-than-crisp break is not worth the reduced weight. Having said that, the Glock ergonomics leave a lot to be desired - mainly for people with small or very large hands (slide bite). There have been a number of aftermarket modifications to address this such as grip reductions, Grip Force additions, Vickers mag/slide release, etc.

On the other hand, the M&P has great ergonomics in terms of wrist angle, placement of slide release, mag release, etc. In fact, the only modification to the M&P grip that I perform is a home stippling job to give a more positive grip. However, the M&P trigger really needs the APEX modifications to smooth it to an acceptable pull.

When looking at the FNS-9, it appears to have ergonomics similar to the M&P which is a good thing. I just hope that the trigger more resembles a Gen 3 Glock in terms of uptake, break, weight, and reset. Then we will have a polymer, striker fired, service pistol that has great ergos and a reasonable trigger.

crazymoose
05-21-11, 19:25
The FNS is somewhat the same. Their safety is different than the M&P's 1911-like safety, and is well done IMO. The trigger is right in between the two, which again could be good or bad depending on your preference. The safety will open them up to certain customers that will not buy Glocks.

Will the FNS require one to destroy the manual safety in order to disassemble the fire control mechanism, as in the FNX? Looks externally more like the FNP, which did not require this, but I am curious. I'm always suspicious of designs which are clearly not meant to be user-serviced, and don't care much for the "shoot it 'till it breaks, then give it to an armorer and be issued a new one" mentality.

brushy bill
05-22-11, 00:31
I'm sure FN Herstal would abstain from saying that it'll be released on the civilian market so they won't lose sales on the FNP/FNX pistols. Saying it'll be released in a year from now may cause people to hold off on the FNP/FNX for a year while they wait for the FNS.
p

This IMO

threeheadeddog
05-22-11, 19:42
[QUOTE=lanesmith;1003462]However, the M&P trigger really needs the APEX modifications to smooth it to an acceptable pull.QUOTE]

While I have shot M&P45's that really had triggers that I didnt perticularly like(my personal one had a 9lb pull) I have to call COMPLETE BS on this statement in reference to M&P9's. I currently have 2 stock M&P9's that I have no issues with the triggers at all. I have shot many others and have yet to shoot a stock M&P9 that didnt have a perfectly capable trigger.

DeusExMachina
05-22-11, 20:28
[QUOTE=lanesmith;1003462]However, the M&P trigger really needs the APEX modifications to smooth it to an acceptable pull.QUOTE]

While I have shot M&P45's that really had triggers that I didnt perticularly like(my personal one had a 9lb pull) I have to call COMPLETE BS on this statement in reference to M&P9's. I currently have 2 stock M&P9's that I have no issues with the triggers at all. I have shot many others and have yet to shoot a stock M&P9 that didnt have a perfectly capable trigger.

I don't know about capable...more like useable. It's definitely not the best stock trigger and its not the worst. However, for a $40 trigger job my Glock has a better trigger than the decked out M&Ps I've played with.

Of course, there is personal preference but most can agree the M&P does not have a good trigger out of the box. For the lay man, it certainly works.

Sensei
05-22-11, 21:46

Your N of 2 carries little weight against the combined experience of this forum and the commercial success of APEX's line of action enhancement kits for the M&P9/40. If the these triggers were not a problem, then APEX kits would not be successful. Given the trigger mechanism is identical between 9 and 40, I have a hard time understanding your assertion that the M&P9 trigger is somehow better than it's sister caliber.

Omega Man
05-22-11, 23:59
I can't comment on the M&P series triggers (I have tried a few out, was casually unimpressed but can't say more than that) but the Glock triggers do not really require any modification out of the box IMO. I have tried all manner of combinations - "-" connector with the NY1 spring (it was interesting but not an improvement), the "-" connector by itself (too light, made the break very mushy), aftermarket trigger modifications (Ghost Rocket was interesting, lack of overtravel a bonus but otherwise unimpressive).

Frankly what the Glock trigger has going for it is the rather mild take-up and very tactile, short reset. The "improvements" that people make with the "-" connector and what not do not significantly change the key component to the success of its trigger. I think they set the bar high for out of the box triggers.

Agree.

TomF
05-23-11, 18:38
Will the FNS require one to destroy the manual safety in order to disassemble the fire control mechanism, as in the FNX? Looks externally more like the FNP, which did not require this, but I am curious. I'm always suspicious of designs which are clearly not meant to be user-serviced, and don't care much for the "shoot it 'till it breaks, then give it to an armorer and be issued a new one" mentality.

Time will tell, I wasn't able to detail strip the pistol.

shred4Him
06-08-11, 06:39
Looks like it is getting into the hands of LE this year and our hands in 2012.

I am looking forward to this one. I have been thinking about adding a second pistol. I really enjoy the M&P and I want something similar... but different. This will fit that perfectly. The XD is out of the question and I am too suspicious of the Gen4 Glocks.

longball
06-08-11, 08:20
Looks like it is getting into the hands of LE this year and our hands in 2012...

If you don't mind, let us know where you heard this.

I am looking forward to the release of this pistol. To me, the FN pistols feel just as good if not better in the hand than any of the other pistols I own or have owned in the past. If the reliability I've read about is true, in combination with good ergonomics, I think it will do well.

shred4Him
06-08-11, 10:11
If you don't mind, let us know where you heard this.

I actually had the link ready to post before and I just forgot.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/08/fns-9-striker-fire-pistol/

RAM Engineer
06-08-11, 10:22
Michael Bane had a video of an interview with one of FNH-USA's factory shooters giving the same release timeline.

556A2
06-08-11, 18:53
Meh

I'll be passing due to FN's lack of sticking to one service handgun design.

FN Fourty-Nine
FNP
FNX

Now FNS?

I really would like a FNX, but since FN screwed the pooch by not keeping backwards compatible magazines with the FNP its made me a bit cynical.

AMMOTECH
06-24-11, 07:54
Ive been told that the FNS will be released for production to start within the next couple of months and then for public release in 2012.

Looks like there will also be competition version with an extended slide and 5" bbl followed later by a 3.5" compact variant.

cgcorrea
06-24-11, 08:34
Ive been told that the FNS will be released for production to start within the next couple of months and then for public release in 2012.

Looks like there will also be competition version with an extended slide and 5" bbl followed later by a 3.5" compact variant.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for the compact. I didn't know there was one in the works. Thanks.

AMMOTECH
06-28-11, 19:19
Some more info on the FNS:
http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=172&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=fcfd50b577

NOVARC51
06-29-11, 09:14
That's a bummer!

I agree.

B52U
01-08-12, 14:56
Looks like this gun is being advertised now. A cursory glance at google shows a few places advertising it in the $570 range.

train of abuses
01-11-12, 00:14
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268910860

Looks as if some dealers are already selling these online. I didn't expect them to be available so soon, but that is a pleasant surprise. This pistol has a lot of potential if it lives up to the hype, and is already tempting in some ways. I personally like this gun a lot on paper. We will see how it turns out...

B52U
01-11-12, 07:40
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268910860

Looks as if some dealers are already selling these online. I didn't expect them to be available so soon, but that is a pleasant surprise. This pistol has a lot of potential if it lives up to the hype, and is already tempting in some ways. I personally like this gun a lot on paper. We will see how it turns out...

Probably wise to let a few other folks be the first adopters and see how the reviews end up.

Brad A
01-11-12, 13:15
Manual safety needs to be removed before I even consider it. I don't understand why FN would have such a small safety. If you are going to have a safety, at least make it so that we can manipulate it under stress.

B52U
01-11-12, 13:28
Manual safety needs to be removed before I even consider it. I don't understand why FN would have such a small safety. If you are going to have a safety, at least make it so that we can manipulate it under stress.

The safety is supposed to be optional, but the first offerings on the market all appear to be the manual safety so far. I would also prefer no safety unless that trigger is really light. I'm interested to see what the first adopters say about it.

ChicagoTex
01-11-12, 17:57
I understand why they chose to do it (to save money), but using the FNX frame with the much shorter-length FNS trigger leaves more room in the trigger guard than I'm comfortable with.

Am I being nitpicky? Maybe, but it is something that jumps out to me.

train of abuses
01-11-12, 17:59
Oh yeah, there is no way I would buy it right now. I want to see what the early reviews say, but it does look promising. It is supposed to have a really nice trigger, too.

Robb Jensen
01-11-12, 18:11
The trigger is very nice. We just got one two days ago. It comes with factory night sights and 3 mags.

train of abuses
01-11-12, 19:28
Good to hear about the trigger. Anything else stand out about it, good or bad?

Robb Jensen
01-11-12, 19:42
Good to hear about the trigger. Anything else stand out about it, good or bad?

The magwell is nicely beveled.
Very short and positive trigger reset.

train of abuses
01-12-12, 00:19
Thanks! Sounds as if this has potential. I will keep an eye out on the reviews of it over the next few months.

HaydenB
01-12-12, 00:40
The magwell is nicely beveled

If its anything like the FNP, I know what you mean. That thing just seems to suck mags up like a vacuum!

Its almost impossible to get "hung up" on a reload. Even with your eyes closed.

citizensoldier16
01-12-12, 14:27

It honestly does look very similar to the M&P.

HaydenB
01-12-12, 16:45
It honestly does look very similar to the M&P.

To me it looks more like a 70/30% hybrid between a FNP and a 4th gen glock.

But honestly who cares? When more and more versions of something come out, they all start to look similar.

B52U
01-12-12, 22:30
The magwell is nicely beveled.
Very short and positive trigger reset.

What would you say the trigger pull weight is, and is it light to the point that the manual safety is a necessary feature?