PDA

View Full Version : 190VLD, 210VLD,& 155Scenar....which one?

shark31
08-21-07, 14:51
I just recieved my first long range rifle from my smith not too long ago. It is a PAI .308 built on a Surgeon action with a 1-10" Broughton 5C barrel cut to 22". I have also purchased a Dillon 650. I am looking to start loading the rifle as soon as possible but I haven't bought a die set yet. I was wondering if some of you gentleman could help me with a few questions:

1. Which load would be optimal out of a 22" barrel to hit steel out to 1,000yds? I'm looking to hunt and target shoot with the same load, how far will that load be useful in taking game?

2. From what I've read on this forum, it seems that the VLD bullets need to be seated in the lands. Is there a way to measure my chamber to get a starting point, or is it guesswork?

3. What dies would you get to be as consistant as possible?

4. Should I lose the powder thrower from the Dillon and just individually weigh out the powder for each round, or is the dillon unit fairly consistant? Is there a recommended scale/thrower?

5. Does the 155 Scenar need to be seated in the lands typically, will it perform well in the 1-10" tube?

6. Is there any other projectile that I should consider for 1,000 yd shooting and long range hunting?

Thank you in advance for any and all responses. If any of you have a good recipe for these projectiles, please feel free to share as I haven't selected a powder yet. I am looking for a consistant powder that would do well in Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina (temps from 30-100 degrees and humid).