PDA

View Full Version : Motion activated IR cams for security

MookNW
01-05-11, 10:01
I'm in the market for an incognito motion activated photo or video recorder for monitoring my driveway. My first thought would be one of the hunting style cameras that straps to a tree. I'm hoping for a clear image at 20-30 feet. The area may or may not be lit. Any shared experience in this field would be greatly appreciated.
-Mook

Inuvik
01-05-11, 14:05
I have a Moultrie i60 here at work that we have used extensively in the field, abused, submerged, etc. It shoots either still images or video bursts, and uses a regular SD card for storage. Daylight images are in color, and IR images are fairly clear, but black and white.

Overall, I think this type of camera would work for your applicaiton. Just be aware that they can be really sensitive to movement, and you may get 100's of blank pictures if the wind is blowing against the foliage in your yard. Also be sure that your camera has an IR flash if you want it to remain undetected.

As I recall, this camera was about $250. We just bought a couple of $70 cameras to compare, but have not used them much to date.

platoonDaddy
06-06-12, 11:48
I have a Moultrie i60 here at work that we have used extensively in the field, abused, submerged, etc. It shoots either still images or video bursts, and uses a regular SD card for storage. Daylight images are in color, and IR images are fairly clear, but black and white.

Overall, I think this type of camera would work for your applicaiton. Just be aware that they can be really sensitive to movement, and you may get 100's of blank pictures if the wind is blowing against the foliage in your yard. Also be sure that your camera has an IR flash if you want it to remain undetected.

As I recall, this camera was about $250. We just bought a couple of $70 cameras to compare, but have not used them much to date.

Amazon has the "Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared Flash Camera" for $108. Have you tested this model?

Please educate me on the the transfer of data from the SD card to your desktop?

Inuvik
06-06-12, 12:02
I don't think we have used that particular model. The camera I mentioned above is about 3 years old, and finally died for good after another swimming expedition :eek:

Since we purchased that model, technology has improved a bunch, and prices have come down. We did purchase a couple of $60 game cameras as disposable items (they are out in the field, and I don't remember the brand or model off hand). They work ok, but are definately not as nice as the more expensive model. The big issue is the sensitivity to things like a leaf blowing in the wind, which may give you an entire SD card worth of blanks. Better cameras are also quieter and quicker (no shots of the back half of an animal for instance).

SD card to desktop is generally a piece of cake. Many computers now have an SD slot built in, and if not, you can purchase a USB card reader.