PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Tatical 870: Overkill for first shotgun?

Riight112
01-05-11, 10:45
I am not military or LE, just an ordinary Joe. I do, however, subscribe to the notion of buying once correctly at the beginning and do not mind shelling out the extra $ so I don't have to buy twice later on.

I do plan on taking some classes on top of getting in some practice at the ranges. That said, do you think I am going overboard with getting the Nighthawk right out of the box versus a regular 870P? The only reason I am leaning toward the Nighthawk is because it already comes with so many of the things that I would like to add if I got a regular 870P.

Are there other models/manufacturers that I should be considering? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

SkiDevil
01-05-11, 22:59
In addition to taking classes, will the shotgun be used anything else besides home defense?

Do you have any experience with this type of shotgun (pump action)?

Something to consider, if you are not very familiar with shotguns it may be worthwhile to rent one at a shooting range or borrow/ shoot a friends before making a substantial investment in a NightHawk, or anyother high-end shotgun.

Although, I have not shot or examined Nighthawks modified version of the Remington 870. It is likely a serviceable gun, because the Remington 870 is one of the better designs on the market.

I do own a Wilson's/ Scattergun Tech. Standard Model 870 and have examined and shot several others besides the one I own. It is an extremely well-made and reliable shotgun.

It was worth the money paid (over $1200 before tax) for me. Now you just have to determine if owning a similar type of shotgun is worthwhile for you.

From reviewing the specs. for both the two biggest advantages for the NH is the Vang-Comp. barrel and the LPA sight.

The adjustable sight is nice but not critical in a defensive type shotgun. The biggest advantage is the Vang-Comp, which I have used and would acknowledge is effective in greatly reducing patterns.

That said, I would still personally go with the Wilson's because it is what I know and have seen a great deal. The extra-money for AR style furniture, the vang-comp. and the LPA sight are not critical for my purposes (defensive use with buckshot inside 25 yards).

Below are two pricing samples for each, though it is likely either could be found much lower with some shopping.

Like anything, choose what suits your needs first and foremost.

Best of Luck
SkiDevil

P.S. If you do purchase a shotgun for defensive use invest in a good weapon light. Surefire makes one of the better designs.;)

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=163#

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_standard.asp

Selling Price examples:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411535385

http://www.gunsamerica.com/990612994/Guns/Shotguns/Remington-Shotguns/Pump/Tactical/Remington_870P_MAX_Wilson_Combat_Scattergun.htm

kal
01-05-11, 23:53
No such thing as overkill. Get the best shotgun your money can buy and be done with it.

controlledpairs2
01-06-11, 03:19
you can grow into it with experience and training. quality is cheaper in the long run

joker581
01-06-11, 08:35
The boutique 870s are nice but it pays to do the math and figure out if you are really getting your money's worth out of them.

The finish and Vang Comp are just about the only upgrades that can't be done by the user or any competent gunsmith. You can buy an 870P with ghost rings and add new stocks, safeties, shell carriers, etc yourself. The new finish isn't necessary on a brand new gun IMO. The Vang Comp is a fantastic addition but the Flitecontrol wad is a good substitute for those on a budget.

The Nighthawk and SGT guns are very nice but I'm unconvinced that they bring 3 times as much to the table as a stock 870 and therefore I don't believe them to be worth three times the price.

el_chingoton13
01-06-11, 09:04
They also build on a regular 870 to begin with, to start with a 870P is a $200 upgrade if that would matter.

terrymo
01-06-11, 09:44
I put together my first shotgun based on an 870 express then several years later bought a complete 870P from VangComp. I put together my first AR and then several year later bought a Colt. I learned a lot about both weapons systems by assembling parts and trying things through some trial and error. I learned a lot about what worked and didn't work for me by going through several training classes every year with each weapon.

There is some wisdom to the "buy once cry once" idea of getting a weapon that is already assembled with quality parts. If your funds allow and you have the experience to know what you want, get what you really want from the start. If you are not sure, another option is to get an 870P with the sights you want installed and get into some classes from reputable instructors to sort out what else you need or don't need.

detacbob
01-06-11, 16:47
I just picked up a cruiser carried 870P used and am cloning the Nighthawk. When complete including finish and Vang Comp work, I will have 980 into it. The Nighthawk is 1350 + transfer fee. As a point of reference for you.

1_click_off
01-06-11, 18:46
http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=163#

[/url]

I am not the best speller, but I am not trying to sell high end equipment either.........

Attention to detail

"Every action has been honed to make it must faster to operate."

I like my 870 Tac2. But I agree with the rest, spend once and get what you want.

cacop
01-06-11, 20:43
I'd rather get an 870P from a regular source, buy a bunch of ammo, take a class, figure out what to change (if anything) and go from there.

Mossbergs in the 590A1 line are good too. Not their 590 line but 590A1 line. A large local agency uses them instead of 870s without complaint.

These days there is a lot more overlap between the Remmington and Mossberg line than there used to be. Try finding a Wingmaster instead of an Express.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-06-11, 21:53
I will let you shoot my 870P(upgrades) before you buy all you have to do is come over to the house.

Wolf Spyder
01-07-11, 14:43
Riight112,

I understand where your at. In the end you know what you want to do. You don't need anyone here to validate your choice.

With that out of the way... I am a tinkerer... I am the type of person who would rather build it myself. I built my first computer. I built my first AR15. I customize everything I own in one way or another. If it were me, I would buy a Remington 870 Police or if you can still find one a Remington 870 Police Magnum, and I would deck it out the way I wanted. If you like the MESA Tactical stuff, fine. You can swap a but stock with a screw-driver and 15 minutes, and mount one of their shell holder in another 15 minutes.

I have a Mossberg 835 Ultra-mag I bought years ago for a ridiculously low price and I have been customizing it into a "Tactical" HD shotgun. If I had it to do all over again I would have started with a Remington 870 Police Magnum. Only because Mossberg has turned out to be a pain in the ass to deal with. But all of that aside, everything that is on that NH Custom shotgun can be added to an 870 by you. I would go so far as to say you could do it cheaper, if that matters to you.

For some, having the side of the shotgun say "Nighthawk Custom" or "SCATTERGUN TECHNOLOGIES" is a bigger bragging point than being able to say "I made it, myself". If it is a bigger boost to your ego to have the Nighthawk Custom, then go for it. It is your money. Either way you go, I hope you are happy with your new tool.

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870synthetic.htm

Dos Cylindros
01-07-11, 15:52
I think right now they are a good package. I say this because they have several things and 870P does not have. The finish is going to be more rust resistant than the park job on the 870P, but admittedly the parkerized 870P's hold up just fine. The vang dome safety and the nice set of LPA ghost ring sights. All of these things, save the sights can be easily added by yourself to a standard 870P, but right now the nighthawk 870's are coming with the vang comp system already on the gun. I see that as a big plus. I recently was in the market for a new 870, and was a phone call away from ording a nighthawk. I finally found a good deal on an 870P Max and this is how it turned out, all mods done by me.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSC_0034.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSC_0035.jpg

Cost all in was slightly less (like $50.00) than a nighthawk, but no vang comp yet.

jwinch2
01-07-11, 17:12
I would go with the Nighthawk and call it done. Then again, I come from the "you get what you pay for and quality costs" school of thought. I would rather spend the money and get EXACTLY what I am after rather than settling in an attempt to save a buck. Even then, I have still had some cases of buyers remorse but far less than my friends who purchase haphazardly.

If you are worried about making a bad choice, spend some time with a friends SG (heck someone offered to let you use theirs on this thread) and make sure you know what features appeal to you and which ones you can do without. My position on it is that if you buy from someone like Nighthawk, it will last you the rest of your life and probably far beyond with normal use. Plus, they have a good reputation for taking care of their customers if any problems arise.

Riight112
01-08-11, 22:41
Everyone, thanks for all the great input and advice. You've all given great insight on this matter for me to chew on. Greatly appreciate it!!!

ICANHITHIMMAN, that's VERY generous of you. I would take you up on your offer if I wasn't so far from you. Again, your offer is greatly appreciated.

okie john
01-08-11, 23:17
I'd rather get an 870P from a regular source, buy a bunch of ammo, take a class, figure out what to change (if anything) and go from there.

This.

Okie John

Rezarf2
01-08-11, 23:44
Since you are self described average Joe. And like to buy it once buy it right. And in the price range you are looking at, there are a few other guns perhaps you should explore. (*Disclaimer: ain't nothing wrong with any 870, they have produced like 11,000,000 of them!) I started out my shotgun adventure with a Benelli base model Nova and the thing ate up anything and everything I fed it for over 6,000 rounds in 2 years. I bought the gun used for $275 and sold years later for a small profit. Sometimes quality and inexpensive do play nice.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd give a strong look at:

Benelli M4 (auto loader)
Benelli M1 (auto)
The FN/Mossberg 930
Grizzly's HD (870)

Just a few more options out there if you are going to spend that kind of $$$ on a scattergun. Although I must say I really, really like everything I see on that NH... and the Wilson for that matter.

gsxr-fan
01-09-11, 09:44
One Remington 870P MAX 12ga Shotgun in stock. This was on the shelf, never fired! Priced to move. Fax your dealers FFL to 330-602-2425. This item has an additional $10 shipping charge.

True to its name, the Model 870P MAX Police Shotgun provides maximum options for a huge range of tactical scenarios. Whether it's breeching a door or lighting a dark corner, your Model 870P MAX is rigged to perform. Feel the confidence, perform flawlessly.

18" barrel with parkerized finish
Davis Speedfeed® IV-S full pistol grip buttstock
13" length-of-pull for ease of handling
2 shot magazine extension tube
Surefire tactical fore-end flashlight with momentary pressure pad and toggle switch ON/OFF applications
Wilson Combat XS Sight System, Ghost® Ring Sights
Improved Cylinder choke

$880.00