PDA

View Full Version : SUV and Trucks, what would you chose?

HES
01-05-11, 14:36
My 2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab with 145,000 miles is coming to the end of its life. Over the past two years I have poured enough money into repairs (new engine, entire cooling system, etc..) to have been making payments. Now the the power steering pump, fan clutch, and transmission are living on borrowed time. So I figure I might as well get while the getting is good.

So I've been evaluating my options. Im pretty much burned out on GM products and am not impressed with Dodge. Do I go with a F-250 crew cab or an SUV? I say SUV because with three kids and all the stuff I have to haul for camping and activities I find the idea of being able to store stuff securely and out of the elements to be attractive. With that in mind I am also considering the Expedition EL or the Toyota Sequoia.

So I'm curious as to what you drive and what you would consider for a replacement.

VooDoo6Actual
01-05-11, 15:12
I would take one of these in 6.2L please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aT8g91a-e8

or if I had to one of these...

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/raptor62.html

Buck
01-05-11, 15:41
New F-150... Without a doubt...

Business_Casual
01-05-11, 15:48
The Nissan Armada will save you some on the initial outlay and is well-rated. I had an Xterra for five years and only replaced wear items.

B_C

dennisuello
01-05-11, 15:53
A 4-door full-size truck, that way you can plenty of interior space with seating for 5 adults and a small bed in the back for oversized, dirty or stinky items. I drive a Titan, but I would trade in a heartbeat for one of those new 4door Ford Raptors.

ryan
01-05-11, 15:54
F250 with the Power Stroke.

Watrdawg
01-05-11, 15:56
GMC/Chevy 2500HD with the new 6.6L Duramax diesels. Most HP and Torque out there. The Duramax is a well proven engine.

I have a 04.5 GMC 2500HD with an older version of the Duramax and only 92K miles. Never had a problem. I've done a few upgrades to front suspension and engine performance but those were of my own choosing. I'll never go back to a gasser again if at all possible.

I bought my truck used. It was 2yrs old and only had 35K miles on it. I got it for about half of the new price. Buy a used one and save a ton.

Alpha Sierra
01-05-11, 16:45
Late mode Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with the Cummins TD and 6 speed manual. You can move damn near anything you please.

145,000 miles is pretty effing low for a truck to die, if you ask me.

My 01 Dakota QC V8 4x4 is between 205,000 and 206,000 miles on the original powertrain. I just finally replaced the radiator a week ago (it cracked and sprung a leak).

ETA: I see you are not impressed with Dodge trucks. Never mind.

fivefivesix
01-05-11, 17:09
id look for an excursion with the diesel engine myself. the city of cincinnati offers theres for auction all the time. or i would go with one of the f series trucks. i also like the looks of the 4 dr wrangler

chadbag
01-05-11, 17:43
When I bought my trucks, I bought the engine -- the Cummins. The Dodge happened to be attached. 2000 and 2006 (traded the 2000 in for the 2006 as the Megacab had more room) have worked well. But it is a Dodge.

jasonhgross
01-05-11, 17:50
Toyota Hilux if they had it here.

Ejh28
01-05-11, 18:11
F250SD Super Crew cab with a diesel.

The ability to haul any trailer/gear you can buy, haul the family around in comfort (The 2010+ are really nice, you can get DVD players in them for Gods sake!) and be a total badass the whole time.

If you do go SUV, in order to get the same towing, you'd have to go with a Expedition. I would prefer a truck though.

payj
01-05-11, 18:25
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Techart or gemballa body kit, complete engine upgrades by either tuner :cool:

I like the Ford trucks. Either a 150 or 250. Dodges are nice too. I would jump on some truck forums and lean about them. Also go test drive them see which one you like best.

rjacobs
01-05-11, 18:41
I love my 09 F150. However I will caution if you haul a bunch of stuff sometime the MGVWR can get restrictive. I have about 1000lbs of useful load before I hit the MGVWR, but I have a 2wd, no sunroof, no nav, etc..., but I do have the platinum edition which has more sound proofing and thicker glass and is the 4 door, 5.5' bed. I am good though since 90% of the time its just me in the truck. If I needed to haul more I would definitely step into a 250, diesel if the finances allowed. I drove one of the new 250's with the diesel and that thing was sick, but a 55k price tag was a bit hard to swallow.

montanadave
01-05-11, 20:00
Probably not what you're looking for but it might be exactly what you need-- the Ford F-150 Raptor with the Hennessey Performance Velociraptor upgrade. Here's the Top Gear episode where they road test the Velociraptor:

http://www.videobb.com/video/BULD2up5gdOX

Think how much the kids will love it. And isn't it really all about the kids?

sjc3081
01-05-11, 20:08
Toyota Tundra almost quarantted to run problem free for the first 200,000 miles. For 30 grand u can get a very well equiped V-8 crew cab with six foot bed.

JackOSU
01-05-11, 20:18
The new Ford Raptors are pretty nice, but I would say that with your family situation you may have to compromise some with what you want to accomplish it sounds like. SUV wise I'd say if you go with the Ford the Excursion probably fits best and you want one with a diesel engine. I believe that they quit making the diesel in those around 2005 IIRC?? I don't think the Expedition is all that exciting from other SUV's.

I'm a big fan of Toyota's engines being able to last for quite a long time. I saw a Sequoia today that was a 2010 SR5 with like 15k on it at the dealer when I went to get some new plugs for my 4R at a really decent price. The sales guy walking around doing something asked the typical questions thinking he might sell me on it, but I at least got to see the inside and sit in it. Pretty impressive and quite roomy.

In the end I think you're going to have to compromise b/w your desires and thinking of the family as a group really. Good luck with things.

madisonsfinest
01-05-11, 23:25
Tundra 4dr

TomF
01-05-11, 23:35
Been down this road a few times. I like the covered storage and seating of an SUV. However, I often haul items that I can't just toss in the back of one (dead deer, power washers that leak fuel and water, lawn mowers, etc).

I've owned both and whichever one I have, I wished I had the other. I'm going to try a truck with a cap next and see how that works for me. Might be the best of both worlds.

I don't have little ones to deal with, so that may influence your decision one way or another.

CLHC
01-06-11, 00:31
Do I go with a F-250 crew cab or an SUV?

So I'm curious as to what you drive and what you would consider for a replacement.
I did drive a Ford F-150 up until the 30th of December 2010 when it spun out of control and I crashed it because of driving on black ice! Loved that truck with under 150k on it, and it's still being broken into! I miss it already. . .

The next day for some reason or another and more like a spur of the moment thing, I bought a Legacy at the local Subaru dealer. Funny thing is, I didn't even test drive the particular sedan and instead did the financing and paper work first. The test drive was from the dealership to my home. Now how. . .Well anyways, I now have this AWD that's parked in my garage. I should have gone with another Ford F-150 but. . .

What a way to end the year and ring in the new year.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

ThirdWatcher
01-06-11, 01:09
When I bought my trucks, I bought the engine -- the Cummins. The Dodge happened to be attached. 2000 and 2006 (traded the 2000 in for the 2006 as the Megacab had more room) have worked well. But it is a Dodge.

I bought a Cummins too, attached to a 2009 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad Cab w/ 6 speed auto. I'm not gonna argue which brand or engine is the best, but the only reason my truck been back to the dealer is for routine service (and a couple flashes, done at the same time). :)

C-grunt
01-06-11, 01:37
Just wanna warn you about the F250. They are REALLY REALLY easy to steal. Here in AZ I take F250 stolen reports a lot. We had six in one day in a 10 square mile area. Watched a video from a surv. camera at Costco. The car parked next to the ford, passenger got out, punched the lock and started it and drove off. Time was no shit under 45 seconds.

Where you live you probably dont have to worry about drug smugglers, but if you get a F250 get some sort of kill switch.

rjacobs
01-06-11, 09:54
Just wanna warn you about the F250. They are REALLY REALLY easy to steal. Here in AZ I take F250 stolen reports a lot. We had six in one day in a 10 square mile area. Watched a video from a surv. camera at Costco. The car parked next to the ford, passenger got out, punched the lock and started it and drove off. Time was no shit under 45 seconds.

Where you live you probably dont have to worry about drug smugglers, but if you get a F250 get some sort of kill switch.

The keys in the 2011 F150's are a new design with a new transponder chip in them that is supposedly unable to be copied by anybody(at least right now). Even the aftermarket alarm companies havent been able to rig up one of their transponder spoofers yet to work with it.

NinjaMedic
01-06-11, 09:59
I love my Land Rover LR3. You get a year or two old one with low miles in the high 20's.

SHIVAN
01-06-11, 10:04
The new Tundra CrewMax with a cap would be my vote. Should be less than the Sequoia, and offer nearly all the same functionality.

C-grunt
01-06-11, 10:07
The keys in the 2011 F150's are a new design with a new transponder chip in them that is supposedly unable to be copied by anybody(at least right now). Even the aftermarket alarm companies havent been able to rig up one of their transponder spoofers yet to work with it.

Its not the F150s that are getting stolen, its the F250s. I have watched on video several times someone steal a F250 with a screwdriver.

rjacobs
01-06-11, 10:18
Its not the F150s that are getting stolen, its the F250s. I have watched on video several times someone steal a F250 with a screwdriver.

i meant to put F250, not F150.

HES
01-06-11, 10:27
Guys, Thanks for all of the input.

Been down this road a few times. I like the covered storage and seating of an SUV. However, I often haul items that I can't just toss in the back of one (dead deer, power washers that leak fuel and water, lawn mowers, etc).

I've owned both and whichever one I have, I wished I had the other. I'm going to try a truck with a cap next and see how that works for me. Might be the best of both worlds.

I don't have little ones to deal with, so that may influence your decision one way or another.
You just nailed my problem on the head. But I think I may be on to a solution. Go SUV and then pick up a portable trailer from Harbor Freight to haul said power washer or dead deer or over sized camping equipment.

mhanna91
01-06-11, 10:28
Do you have a use/need for a 3/4 ton pickup? If not, I would personally stay away from them. If you intend to run a diesel for as long as you ran your GMC (5.3L?), you may need to replace fuel/lift/injector pumps, turbos, and god knows what else. Diesel work is not cheap. That being said, if you care for it properly a 5.9 Cummins will go a long way. I use one on my job that is over 200,000 miles. However, the new 6.7 Cummins leaves alot to be desired as far as reliability. The one I use on my job has been back to the dealership four times for the same problem (intake related). I come from a town where everybody and their brother (and their spoiled kids) drives a Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins etc, and NEVER hook it to a trailer. It is probably safe to say that a majority of the guys (atleast where I live) could do any task they use their 3/4 ton diesel for with a 1/2 ton EASILY.

If you have kids and no need to haul a 30 foot trailer loaded with steel I beams, or anything of comparable weight, a 1/2 ton 4-door pickup would be a good option.

HES
01-06-11, 10:57
Actually I do have a need for the 3/4 ton as a tow vehicle for campers, utility trailers, and the occasional boat. So my primary concerns are towing . Then there is cargo capacity. Mainly its a metric ass ton of camping equipment for me and the entire family. Its not so much weight as it is bulk. That's why I'm thinking the stowable cargo trailer would be the ticket when coupled with an SUV. That way when I do need to carry lumber or the pressure washer or that trophy buck (that I will never get) the trailer would suit my needs for over sized / messy towing loads.

Terry
01-06-11, 12:15
I bought a 2010 F150 about 6 months ago.
http://bp2.ford.com/2011-Ford-F-150#page=/Packages/
I am about to turn 10,000 miles on it this week and so far, I have no complaints.
I run 95% highway, and I had to some off roading during hunting season.
I traded in an 08 silverado, and with the "A" plan and rebates, I also feel I am getting allot for my money.

C-grunt
01-06-11, 12:49
i meant to put F250, not F150.

About damn time they did. Its crazy watching a $50k plus truck get stolen so easily.

glocktogo
01-06-11, 13:26
Tundra FTW. Mine was a beast. I sold it because it was way more truck than I needed. Drive a 4Runner now and I'm totally happy with it too. It just fits my current needs better.

Bubba FAL
01-06-11, 22:13
Still driving my '97 Dakota 4x4 with 5.2L (318CID) V8. 220,000 miles and the only drivetrain component replaced was a water pump @~150k. Rear main seal leaks a little and the paint is pretty much thrashed, but it still starts every day.

OTOH, suspension components are another story. It eats shocks and is on it's 4th set of ball joints up front. Couldn't be all that sand at Pismo or the lower Mojave had anything to do with it. :D Haven't had to replace ball joints since we left California.

Biggest complaint is that it's a heavy sucker, not the best rig for dunes or for gas mileage (17mpg highway).

But, then again, you're not interested in Dodges...

markdh720
01-06-11, 22:14
Disclaimer: I had lots of experience with Toyota trucks and limited experience with Ford and GM trucks.

I'd go with the Tundra (unless you'd prefer a diesel). 4Runners are great if you want a SUV.

joffe
01-07-11, 03:26
Since they don't have the Hilux, maybe the Tacoma? I don't know if they offer diesels there.

Otherwise, Ram diesel, Cummins.

It's a shame they don't sell the Subaru diesels there.. Not a truck, but the Forester with the fantastic boxer diesel would be a good pick.

edit - Tacoma, not Tundra. Mixed up the trucks. They don't offer either of those models here, if that's a valid excuse. :p

HES
01-07-11, 11:43
Spoke to a sales rep yesterday. He said the Helix will be coming to the US in the 2012 model year. Dont know how much truth there is to that though.

Watrdawg
01-07-11, 11:53
If you are going with a Ford F250 get a 2011. The newer diesel engine is a million times better than either the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel. They both have problems. The 6.7l diesel is a pretty good engine also. The new Ford diesel engine is built by Ford and is getting pretty good reviews.

The Duramax engine is a very good engine itself. GM has not had to change the engine like Ford has. All they have done is upgrade its performance over the years. Same engine as it ever was.

The Cummins is a very good engine also. Known for being leaky but that is no big deal. Kind of like a Chinook Helo. If it isn't leaking Hydraulics get out quick because the bird is coming down. Can't go wrong with a Cummins either way.

usmcvet
01-07-11, 12:49
I have an '05 Chevy 1500 crew cab it was fine with one and then two kids but it is to small with three kids. I want a Tahoe next time. The Expidition is decent too. I just like Chevy. I was Impressed Ford did not take an bail out money. With three kids and a small Springer there is not enough room to go on a long trip and we cram Into mommas Highlander. The pup and bags ride in the back. I don't use my bed much at all. I need more interior room.

chadbag
01-07-11, 12:57
I have an '05 Chevy 1500 crew cab it was fine with one and then two kids but it is to small with three kids. I want a Tahoe next time.

<snip>

I need more interior room.

If you want a truck, the Megacab by Dodge gives you both. I can comfortably fit 5 adults (with reclining back space) in my megacab or if I don't have passengers put down the back seats and have interior hauling space equal to many SUVs... Then as needed I can stick stuff in the back bed too. I normally have the smaller split seat down in the back to carry stuff and the larger seat section up with two car seats on it for the kids. I can carry 2 or 3 XL 650 presses in that small section plus other smaller boxes plus the kids.

I feel lucky to have gotten one with the Cummins before they left the 5.9 (2006 model) and hung all that blue tech crap on it.

Longhorn
01-08-11, 11:40
If you are going with a Ford F250 get a 2011. The newer diesel engine is a million times better than either the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel. They both have problems. The 6.7l diesel is a pretty good engine also. The new Ford diesel engine is built by Ford and is getting pretty good reviews.

The Duramax engine is a very good engine itself. GM has not had to change the engine like Ford has. All they have done is upgrade its performance over the years. Same engine as it ever was.

The Cummins is a very good engine also. Known for being leaky but that is no big deal. Kind of like a Chinook Helo. If it isn't leaking Hydraulics get out quick because the bird is coming down. Can't go wrong with a Cummins either way.

The company I worked for had multiple Ford diesel products - 7.3s, 6.0s and one 6.4 (I'm sure they've got a 6.7 as they never had money for anything else besides making sure the bosses had "new" trucks...).

Gotta admit, the ONLY problem we had with the 6.4 was horrendous mileage. The 7.3s had problems here/there but nothing that wasn't atypical. The 6.0s...shit, you name it, we had it. I LOVED driving the 6.4 truck as it was more "fun" and while it was a big, beefy truck offered great visibility and greatly changed my one opinion on Ford trucks and that was their steering.

As far as the Duramax goes, personally, I'm a GM guy through and through. But the Duramax has been "changed" over the years...but essentially, you are correct in the fact that it has really only been "upgraded" versus completely changed/redesigned.

Exhaust products (like straight pipes ;) ) from the LBZ (or last pre-emissions GM Dmax) bolt right up because the LMM is the same engine it just has emissions BS in place. LML too is basically an LMM with more emissions crap.

Cummins...while some of the interiors leave me yawning, I wouldn't hesitate to pickup a CTD if I had the opportunity. Great engine that has a TON of aftermarket support and long-standing service.

As far as gassers...my 04 Chevy Z71 decided that in the ~40k I owned it, would shit it's entire brake system, PCM, rear shocks, and front hub assemblies. As a GM guy...I said enough is enough and looked elsewhere.

Honestly, I rode in a buddies Tundra and was rather impressed. Went and test drove one...and was even more impressed. While the 5.7L is thirsty as HELL, Toyota built one hell of a truck! So now I've got an 07 Double Cab SR5 and LOVE it!