PDA

View Full Version : TA33 vs Aimpoint M4s Comparison

Crow Hunter
01-05-11, 21:01
Does anyone own or have extensive experience with both optics?

My reason for asking is recently I had the chance to fire a HK416 (yes a real one, with a happy switch:p) and it had a TA33 mounted to it. We were shooting in failing light at a steel silouhette and some soda cans at around 25 yards or so.

My only experience as been with a Aimpoint M4/ 3x magnifier but I was impressed with the TA33 even at the somewhat close ranges we were firing. I had no trouble quickly mounting the gun and firing a burst into the steel and since it was suppressed it sounded like I was hitting most if not all of my 3-4 rd bursts into steel. I was also easily able to make the soda cans disappear as well.

It has gotten me wondering if I might like to try one of these out for my personal 6920 but I hate to blow $1,000 and find out I really don't like it. Been down THAT road with the TR24, yes, I am one of those strange people that just didn't like it, but my brother did so he has it now.

I like the RDS that I am running but after you throw on the magnifier it is a little more clumsy that I would like. The TA33 looks like it would be a little lighter with less sticking out vs my M4 + 3x mag.

My use would be general purpose "do anything" optic. Paper/steel/crows/coyotes/zombies....Watermelons....Jugs of water....Junked cars up on blocks.... You know redneck targets of opportunity.:cool:

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Jerm
01-05-11, 22:03
The Aimpoint/3x clearly gives you more options.

... I'm not a fan though (from the little I've played with the set-up).

I have a TA33G-H on my "all purpose (other than HD)" rifle and an H1 on my "house gun".

I live in a very rural area and prefer the TA33 once I step out the door.

The AP/3x is much heavier/bulkier and I agree that "clumsy" is fitting. I can't see taking it on/off in the field and the swing mount isn't appealing to me either.

It basically came down to knowing that if I left the house that the 3x would be used the vast majority of the time and I'd rather just have the ACOG.

If I was limited to one rifle for everything I'd probably reconsider (AP/3x or TR24). I'm not.

payj
01-06-11, 00:22
I own the m4s w/o the magnifier and the ta33r8. I have used one with a magnifier though. Those two paired together is fairly heavy. For me I would choose whether or not you need the magnification as you can use an aimpoint out to a few hundred yards with practice. It can be had for cheaper that's why I suggest that as an option.

The ta33 is an awesome light weight set-up. You can also use the ta33 like an aimpoint using the ta33's bac feature. If you buy a front cap for it, the optic acts like a rds for the most part. Use both eyes open with the front covered and it becomes 1x. I use mine strictly as a 3x at the moment as I have yet to buy a cover. You can experiment with it a little by just covering the front with your hand to get an idea of what it would be like. Imo it is a pretty cool feature of the ta33.

Alaskapopo
01-06-11, 02:59
Does anyone own or have extensive experience with both optics?

My reason for asking is recently I had the chance to fire a HK416 (yes a real one, with a happy switch:p) and it had a TA33 mounted to it. We were shooting in failing light at a steel silouhette and some soda cans at around 25 yards or so.

My only experience as been with a Aimpoint M4/ 3x magnifier but I was impressed with the TA33 even at the somewhat close ranges we were firing. I had no trouble quickly mounting the gun and firing a burst into the steel and since it was suppressed it sounded like I was hitting most if not all of my 3-4 rd bursts into steel. I was also easily able to make the soda cans disappear as well.

It has gotten me wondering if I might like to try one of these out for my personal 6920 but I hate to blow $1,000 and find out I really don't like it. Been down THAT road with the TR24, yes, I am one of those strange people that just didn't like it, but my brother did so he has it now.

I like the RDS that I am running but after you throw on the magnifier it is a little more clumsy that I would like. The TA33 looks like it would be a little lighter with less sticking out vs my M4 + 3x mag.

My use would be general purpose "do anything" optic. Paper/steel/crows/coyotes/zombies....Watermelons....Jugs of water....Junked cars up on blocks.... You know redneck targets of opportunity.:cool:

Anyone care to share their experiences?

I have had both but I used a TA 33 with a T1 in an off set mount. I don't like running ACOGS by themselves. But I do prefer the TA 33 with a red dot in an off set mount to my M4 with a flip to the side 3x magnifier. The TA 33 T1 combo was lighter and the TA 33 was clearer than the Aimpoint magnifier and it had a bullet drop compensator. I set that same rifle up with a TA 31 and a R1 in an off set mount now.
Pat