PDA

View Full Version : sizing pulled down bullets

Steiner
08-21-07, 22:34
Has anyone here have any experience in resizing pulled surplus 5.56 bullets, to remove any deformities from being crimped or damaged from the collet.
I was wondering if the Lee cast bullet sizer would work for this?
Many thanks in advance.
Dave

toddackerman
09-03-07, 11:41
Haven't tried it, but would imagine it to be a real pain. Why no just shoot it up?

Tack

Steiner
09-05-07, 22:01
I was afraid by the bullet being out of round that the cartridge neck might get stuck in the chamber. Only one way to find out.
Its just going to be 100 yrd. blasting ammo, so guess it really doesn't matter.
If it proves a problem then I'll try and resize it. No use of fixing it if it isn't broke yet.
Just thought I'd ask.
Have a good one.

UVvis
09-06-07, 03:13
I was afraid by the bullet being out of round that the cartridge neck might get stuck in the chamber. Only one way to find out.

You have tried using calipers and checking the dimensions of a few right?

Steiner
09-06-07, 22:32
Yes, I used a dial caliper, that's how I know their that they are out of round.
.225 to .226 at and just ahead of the cannelure.
I don't know if one to two thousandths will make a difference.
.250 and .251 measured on loaded cases with new brass and no crimp.
Only about 5% maybe 10% of bullets are like this.
I guess I need to measure a fired case neck to give me some idea of the neck dia. of the chamber to compare it to.
And then again I'm just being too anal.

Bat Guano
09-07-07, 22:40
I have bought quite a few pulled M193, M855, M80 and M2 bullets from Jeff Gibbs, (www.gibrass.com) and not had any issues with defectives. Don't know what method your vendor used but Gibbs used a collet puller. Occasionally there are slight marks, but he tumbles them and I load them up. Of late he doesn't get as many so my latest batch are M193 by Prvizi out of Widener's.

The 5.56 should be measuring .224.